What do you think will be the next big fad in video gaming?

• 102 results
spokkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By spokkeh

And why? By this I mean mechanics, themes, tropes, that sort of thing. We've seen cover-based shooting in many releases over the last few years, and the post apocalypse has been a prevalent theme for a while now. Post your ideas and why you think it will be the Next Big Thing.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

The adventures of SexyToad. Screw Mario and Peach. Toad has to go save the female toad. Whatever her name is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

I was going to say, how are we supposed to know if it hasn't even started yet? But now, I think I know what I have in mind, I think more games will adopt the conversation wheel. Well, that's what it seems like anyways. Even Kojima was talking about that with MGS5, and how he liked it in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By enai

Free to play

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Anything that makes games easier on consoles. Regenerating health in Halo CE started the whole thing, now we have cover that started in Gears of War so we can idle in safety and shoot instead of having to be on the move and getting hit and repeating levels a lot. Thank you, Xbox games.

What else is there to make games easier on consoles? That will be the next fad.

My guess is, teleporting melee. Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2 gave you the ability to hit a melee button and have your character teleport a few feet and aimbot their knife into the enemy. Then teleporting animations in Killzone and Crysis 2 began surfacing, and now in Far Cry 3 you can hit a single button and have your dude teleport with a knife to the enemy, then somehow shoot two more guys in one swift animation. I also think I saw something similar in the new Tomb Raider E3 trailer.

So the next generation of consoles will grace us with games where you no longer have to risk your life or get detected by getting close to the enemy and skillfully swiping your knife or baton in a way that would knock them out/kill them, with the chance of missing and getting screwed. All you have to do is hit X when the prompt shows up, 3 meters away from a guy, and the game will do the rest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Bear physics.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Benny

It's the billion dollar question and nobody knows the answer.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

First person farming sims.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Madden DOTA.

Avatar image for izbaadin_islamabad
Izbaadin_Islamabad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reddit integration of dialogue trees in games on the PS4. Self explanatory really.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By AngelN7

@AhmadMetallic said:

Anything that makes games easier on consoles. Regenerating health in Halo CE started the whole thing, now we have cover that started in Gears of War so we can idle in safety and shoot instead of having to be on the move and getting hit and repeating levels a lot. Thank you, Xbox games.

Yeah circle strafing man, getting shot while having you're character look like an action figure was soo cool...

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

Headsets that wont work if you're an annoying 10-20 year old who acts like a moron online. 

At least that's what I'm hoping for when it comes to games

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AngelN7 The cure for unoriginal Gears clones is unoriginal Doom clones!
bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bananaz

Free to play-style costume shops. Like TF2 hats. They'll be everywhere, even in $60 games.

Also, cheap plays to show us a hero's "humanity" and "vulnerability" by having them get needlessly brutalized and/or shackled with a helpless child companion. Hollywood's been on this trail for years.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@AngelN7 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yeah circle strafing man, getting shot while having you're character look like an action figure was soo cool...

Yes, it was: 
The challenge and rush of being on the move, reloading/switching weapons and shooting while being aware of the enemies' positions and movement, trying to stay alive. Feeling like a movie star.
As opposed to.. 
UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UitDeToekomst

we need more input from angry "hardcore, purist" gamers in this thread. i've only seen one so far. booooring.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy

Multiplayer Joust games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spoonman671

Dinosaurs... I hope.

bps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bps

randomized loot drops and real money auction houses

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmilingPig

@ZeForgotten said:

Headsets that wont work if you're an annoying 10-20 year old who acts like a moron online. At least that's what I'm hoping for when it comes to games

I would pay 500$ for that easy.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By rachelepithet

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@ZeForgotten said:

Headsets that wont work if you're an annoying 10-20 year old who acts like a moron online. At least that's what I'm hoping for when it comes to games

Make that any age and I'm right there with you.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@UitDeToekomst said:

we need more input from angry "hardcore, purist" gamers in this thread. i've only seen one so far. booooring.

We need more tired, label-filled one-liner comments here, a much cooler contribution than actually discussing game mechanics. 
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@AhmadMetallic said:

@UitDeToekomst said:

We need more tired, label-filled one-liner comments here, a much cooler contribution than actually discussing game mechanics.

We definitely need less of you.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmilingPig

The patterns for Legos are now over so games companies can do fake Legos (like Bricks).

I expect that due to the success of the Lego games an unscrupulous game company (most likely Zynga) will make Bricks games.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZeForgotten: @ZeForgotten said:

I want this as well!

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngelN7

@AhmadMetallic: It'd would have been if games back then had the same maneuverability/smoothness and great animations Max Payne has in Max Payne 3 you should have linked me something like this :

Wich is more accurate by your description of "make games like this because console games are too easy for us PC players who end up playing the same game anyways".

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Hizang

@SexyToad: That sounds appealing, but where the fuck is my Waluigi game!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@PrivateIronTFU said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@UitDeToekomst said:

We need more tired, label-filled one-liner comments here, a much cooler contribution than actually discussing game mechanics.

We definitely need less of you.

Considering I have no idea who you are, we definitely need more of you. Maybe.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By Little_Socrates

If you can predict it, you should really go and use that talent to make a bunch of money.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By salarn

@spokkeh: Player Generated content, shipping tools with games to let the users add their own free DLC to other users.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Regenerating health was mainly done to make games easier to design more than making them easier for the player.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#32  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

In the next generation, I'd like to see boss dynamics shift from the sort of pre-rendered cutscene type kills we see in games like Dante's Inferno or Castlevania: LoS, and turn them into something more free flowing. Sure, the boss could still have multiple weak points, but it would be up to the player to exploit those. Boss fights this generation feel altogether way too scripted.

Izbaadin_Islamabad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelN7 said:

@AhmadMetallic: It'd would have been if games back then had the same maneuverability/smoothness and great animations Max Payne has in Max Payne 3 you should have linked me something like this :

Wich is more accurate by your description of "make games like this because console games are too easy for us PC players who end up playing the same game anyways".

A friend was playing that when it came out and during a wild gunfight he shot the sombrero off someone. Sitting on the couch, we were shouting instructions for things that usually can't be done, so we commanded him to position himself so that the sombrero would fall on his head while still shooting dudes. He did this. The sombrero landed on his head and the character now had a hat. The game gave him a point bonus because it was awesome and a feature. That game got two thumbs up because of that. That's not even on popular hat-based PC games like Team Fortress 2 right?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Phatmac

Free to play.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AngelN7

@Izbaadin_Islamabad: To be honest I don't even know what game that is, I just search for : PS2 thrid person shooter on youtube , but I love games where you can shoot the sombrero out of someone's head.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By advocatefish

-Pre-order the Legendary Edition to get the ending.

-And I would say $70 dollar games but Special editions are already that. Yup guys they got use (well, not me). And no an aluminum case for your game or an art book isn't worth $10 more.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@AngelN7: That game is called Total Overdose, one of my favorite goofy/parody games, and that's what it is, a goofy game. It's as if you used Postal 2 as an example of PS2-era first person shooters.. Not too accurate is it? Try GTA San Andreas, or Freedom Fighters, Max Payne 1 & 2, The Punisher, Dead Space, Hitman 2Mafia, etc... All games that didn't have any cover, and made the combat much more enjoyable when you were on the run trying to pull off awesome movie-like scenarios by using skill and some trial and error, rather than hiding under a chest-high wall and pulling a trigger.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeforgotten
@BabyChooChoo said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Make that any age and I'm right there with you.

Sure, any age. 
I guess they have annoying voices over the age of 20 too. 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45

Near future future games. been calling it since BF3, and I was right: blops 2, future soldier, gaurantee there will be more after that and it will end when they release Battlefield 2143

Izbaadin_Islamabad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine if GTA3 and onwards had been based on movies like El Mariachi and Desperado and you have Total Overdose 1 and 2. The nearest thing to it would be the Just Cause games, except they're not as crazy.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

The GURPS system applied to video gaming. Basically take one character from a game and move him or her to any other GURPS enabled game. Take your Dragon Age 3 character and move him to Saints Row 4 then send him to Rainbow Six Patriots...or something like that.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jacdg

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AngelN7. All games that didn't have any cover, and made the combat much more enjoyable when you were on the run trying to pull off awesome movie-like scenarios by using skill and some trial and error, rather than hiding under a chest-high wall and pulling a trigger.

To you maybe, but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@JacDG said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AngelN7. All games that didn't have any cover, and made the combat much more enjoyable when you were on the run trying to pull off awesome movie-like scenarios by using skill and some trial and error, rather than hiding under a chest-high wall and pulling a trigger.

To you maybe, but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way...

Even if we look at it from an objective aspect, there's more of a challenge to the player and more skill requirement to move and shoot and stay alive rather than hide and pull the trigger. There's also more of a possibility for different, somewhat unique scenarios to take place after every try.
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeF

Always Connected/Always Online-features.

Diablo 3 does it, Sim City does it, Demon's/Dark Souls does it, Wii U has a basic version of it sort of available as a native system-level feature. That shit's gonna be everywhere soon.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aetheldod

@DeF said:

Diablo 3 does it, Sim City does it, Demon's/Dark Souls does it, Wii U has a basic version of it sort of available as a native system-level feature. That shit's gonna be everywhere soon.

But unlike the other , Demon/Dark souls you can opt out of it and still play the game without having to forcibly connect to the internet.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AngelN7 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yes, it was:
The challenge and rush of being on the move, reloading/switching weapons and shooting while being aware of the enemies' positions and movement, trying to stay alive. Feeling like a movie star.
As opposed to..

Let's be fair, here: Gears of War on the higher difficulties takes a different kind of skill than twitchy shootdodging. It has a lot more to do with situational awareness and smart use of cover. You're so damn jaded about console-focused games that you don't see how much skill some of them require. That's not to say that Gears of War is perfect, but it does far, far more than you're giving it credit for. And this really isn't a subjective thing, if you actually play it on higher difficulties you'll notice what I'm saying.

You really need to give consoles and by extension console gamers more credit, they're not so insultingly easy or stupid or luck-based as you might think. I've heard you praise Deus Ex Human Revolution, at least to some extent; that game was evidently designed for consoles and then ported to the PC. The original Crysis got a console port and kept everything intact, for the most part. Powers work a little differently, as in you don't have to turn them on and off individually anymore, but how was the original Crysis's system better in the first place? And then there's your very own Max Payne, which was also designed from the ground up for consoles. And Red Dead Redemption. Shall I go on?

I'm not going to sit here and say that PC gaming is equal to consoles in terms of complexity or something like that. I think that PC's do have the potential to give us more complex games - Dragon Age Origins, for example, has a better experience on PC. The Battlefield series is vastly bigger on the PC's. Then there are games like Civilization, which cannot be done proper on consoles. I will, however, argue when someone pops up and says that the presence of a game on consoles, and by extension the console gamers themselves, are somehow less valid than PC games. That's exactly what it sounds like you're saying, and it simply isn't true at all. It cheapens gaming and gamers as a whole and puts a nice big road block in front of progression.

Are you wrong for criticizing practices like two weapon limits, regenerating health, and games that don't do anything except show off their fancy set pieces? Certainly not! But I think those games have a place. It simply isn't the place that you or I want to occupy, and as long as people like you or I or many others exist who want something deeper, then something deeper will keep getting made. It happens this way in movies, it happens this way in music, and it will happen this way in games. It's the best way for our medium to go if we want it to keep progressing, changing, and growing in different ways.

EDIT: Also, Halo CE has a regenerating shield over health that requires packs. Only two games don't actually require some form of medkit - 2 and 3 - the majority of the series has health.

As for an on-topic answer? I don't know. Judging the popularity of Skyrim and Mass Effect, I might bet on talky RPG's that don't rely on dice rolls - but then those games are expensive to make and take a long time, so I can hardly say for sure.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@believer258: brillant. couldnt have said it better myself.

whenever i see somone from the pc master race complain about console games. i tell him to stop playing them. if a pc gamer were to only play games that were released only on the pc. they would run short on games real quick. i love playing diablo 2 and then playing metorid prime and then resident evil 2. why limit yourself? so you can tell yourself that your better than sombody else? enjoy the high horse. ill be having fun "slumming" it playing resident evil 6 and Ico.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Justin258

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@believer258: brillant. couldnt have said it better myself.

whenever i see somone from the pc master race complain about console games. i tell him to stop playing them. if a pc gamer were to only play games that were released only on the pc. they would run short on games real quick. i love playing diablo 2 and then playing metorid prime and then resident evil 2. why limit yourself? so you can tell yourself that your better than sombody else? enjoy the high horse. ill be having fun "slumming" it playing resident evil 6 and Ico.

Thank you for supporting his argument! They would not run short on games real quick, but they would miss out on many, many experiences.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@believer258: lol im not really supporting it.i only ment that by sticking to one form of gaming you miss out on alot of stuff. its the same for thew sony and nintendo fanboys. peole just need to try to enjoy everything they can and let other people be.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DeF

@Aetheldod said:

@DeF said:

But unlike the other , Demon/Dark souls you can opt out of it and still play the game without having to forcibly connect to the internet.

I didn't say mandatory requirement or DRM, I said "features"!