#1 Posted by Icemael (6795 posts) -

I know, I know, it's just May and we're not even past E3 yet, but hey, speculating is always fun. So let's speculate: What do you think your Game of the Year will be? Is it something already released? Is it something that's not out yet? Why do you think it'll be your Game of the Year? Come on, speak up!

I think mine will be either Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Vanquish. The first Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time -- easily in my top five -- and so are Resident Evil 4 and God Hand, Shinji Mikami's (the dude what's making Vanquish) previous games.

#2 Posted by Rhaknar (6299 posts) -

so far it's between Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake, with Super Street Fighter 4 thrown in there for fanboy reasons :P. I haven't played RDR yet, and I don't have a Wii so I won't play Galaxy unfortunately. Like you said tho, still way too early

#3 Posted by NathHaw (2848 posts) -
#4 Posted by Yummylee (23189 posts) -

I'm hoping Mafia 2 will leave a strong enough impression for it to take that place. As of now though, probably Mass Effect 2. Red Dead Redemption should certainly be a strong contender too, though I haven't put nearly enough time into to come to that solid conclusion.

#5 Posted by Steve_C (1768 posts) -

If the Last Guardian comes out, then probably that. Outside of that, it could end up being Galaxy 2 or RDR. I could make a better judgment after e3 once the slate for latter half of the year is known. Could be some cool unknowns.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36567 posts) -

Unless Nintendo announces a Fire Emblem 4 remake for the DS (GET ON IT!!!), I'd go with Assassin's Creed II. The only major flaw I can remember is that it doesn't sync up well with any sort of Disney movie like the first one did.

#7 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1185 posts) -

Bayonetta.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14818 posts) -

Civilization 5
SMT: Strange Journey
Just Cause 2
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
 Alpha Protocol

too hard to choose D:

#9 Posted by NathHaw (2848 posts) -
@TheSilentTruth said:
" Bayonetta. "
That is my second choice right now, but I think Mario might surpass it.
#10 Posted by ShaneDev (1702 posts) -

I would say Halo Reach might be my goty but so would Mass Effect 2 and I need to play more of Red Dead Redemption. Is New Vegas coming out this year ?

#11 Edited by Icemael (6795 posts) -
@TheSilentTruth said:

" Bayonetta. "

Of the four games I've played so far -- Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, God of War III and Bayonetta -- this is definitely one I liked the most. If it weren't for Mario Galaxy 2 and Vanquish, it would probably have been my predicted Game of the Year.

@Video_Game_King

said: 

" Unless Nintendo announces a Fire Emblem 4 remake for the DS (GET ON IT!!!), I'd go with Assassin's Creed II. The only major flaw I can remember is that it doesn't sync up well with any sort of Disney movie like the first one did. "

You know, I love Assassin's Creed II, but... it was released last year. =/ 

@ShaneDev said:
"Is New Vegas coming out this year ? "
Yep.
#12 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1492 posts) -
@Icemael: Maybe, Read Dead Redemption for single player and BFBC2 for multiplayer...I also had a lot of fun (and spent more than 50 hours) with Napoleon Total War.
#13 Posted by masterpaperlink (1908 posts) -

I want it to be ghost trick

#14 Posted by odintal (1118 posts) -
@Bloviator:  Thats coming out this year? 
I just figured it would be January of next year.  
#15 Posted by Killa_Assassin11 (20 posts) -

So far its probably Mass Effect 2. But I'm playing Red Dead right now and I can see it being a serious contender.

#16 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Starcraft 2 probably unless there is an incredible sleeper.

Keeping an eye on Brink, Deus Ex 3, Crysis 2, LBP2, Mafia 2 and to a lesser extent Fable 3 (Molyneux over hypes amazingly)

#17 Edited by NathHaw (2848 posts) -
@odintal said:

" @Bloviator:  Thats coming out this year? I just figured it would be January of next year.   "

Yeah, beta starts soon.  Blizz is already releasing the screenshots and such and have posted for people to sign up for the beta.  Friends and family of the employees are already finishing up, and the company is getting ready to start choosing people for the closed beta.  It isn't necessarily coming out this year, but if we follow the pattern Blizz follows, you should expect it between August and November.  Probably around September.  Nothing conclusive yet, but I'd bet on it.  The only feasible way the game won't be coming this year is that some major setback occurs. 
#18 Posted by zudthespud (3326 posts) -

rFactor 2. If it's released this year. And if you want to call it a game.

#19 Posted by odintal (1118 posts) -
@Bloviator said:
" @odintal said:

" @Bloviator:  Thats coming out this year? I just figured it would be January of next year.   "

Yeah, beta starts soon.  Blizz is already releasing the screenshots and such and have posted for people to sign up for the beta.  Friends and family of the employees are already finishing up, and the company is getting ready to start choosing people for the closed beta.  It isn't necessarily coming out this year, but if we follow the pattern Blizz follows, you should expect it between August and November.  Probably around September.  Nothing conclusive yet, but I'd bet on it.  The only feasible way the game won't be coming this year is that some major setback occurs.  "
It is Blizzard we're talking about. Major set backs are a given.
#20 Posted by agentboolen (1925 posts) -

Google Pac-Man, the day Google takes over is upon us!!!!     ;)

#21 Posted by NathHaw (2848 posts) -
@odintal said:
" It is Blizzard we're talking about. Major set backs are a given. "
So true.
#22 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3205 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is up there; Red Dead Redemption is the obvious front runner.

#23 Posted by Cornman89 (1600 posts) -

Mass Effect 2, unless something better comes along.

#24 Posted by GunnBjorn (2905 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 
Alan Wake 
Red Dead Redemption 

These are quite obligatory, i know. 
And no matter how good Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to be, It's too much of the same concept to be a candidate again for GotY imo.  
#25 Posted by nanikore (2755 posts) -
#26 Posted by Kahoona (241 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption right now although my choice could change come fall time.

#27 Posted by bhhawks78 (1303 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 Deadly premonition and just cause 2 have been by far the three best so far to me.

#28 Posted by AgentJ (8994 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 was great and is certainly a front runner in my eyes. It'll almost certainly be one of these:

Best of 2010

An experiment

1. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Best remake I've ever played. There isn't much that could have been done better.

2. APB

I am more than willing to go buy a better computer just to play this game. From everything I have seen, All Points Bulletin will make a run for my GOTY

3. Metroid: Other M

As a big fan of the Metroid series, I cannot wait to see this 2.5D Team Ninja incarnation.

4. Golden Sun DS

Finally a new Golden Sun. I worry that it won't live up to my hopes for the game (only three party members?) but I expect Camelot to prove that my fears are unfounded.

5. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Disclaimer: I don't really enjoy the Splinter Cell series. the gameplay has never really sucked me in. After playing the XBL demo however, I am very excited for the things that have been brought to the game. The fast pace and the detail at which Ubisoft has gone with the stealth and action mechanics make me very excited to see how this game turns out.

6. Infinite Space

The first Platinum Games creation on this list, Infinite Space is a space opera RPG that I've had my eye on for what seems like years now. the amount of control a player has in this game is mind blowing.

7. Heavy Rain

Now I don't have a PS3, and I likely won't have one this year, but I have complete faith that this game will live up to the expectations I have for it.

8. Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2 is awesome, though I'm not happy with all the changes they made.

9. Tales of Graces

It's a new Tales. Nuff said.

10. Bayonetta

The second game on this list from Platinum Games, Bayonetta has been getting a lot of attention lately, and it's not because she goes through the game without clothing. Consistantly high review scores from all sorts of publications have brought it to the attention of many people. It just proves that Platinum Games is a master of their craft, being able to make masterpieces in so many different genres.

#29 Posted by Icemael (6795 posts) -
@GunnBjorn said:
"Mass Effect 2 Alan Wake Red Dead Redemption  These are quite obligatory, i know. And no matter how good Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to be, It's too much of the same concept to be a candidate again for GotY imo.   "
Unlike Gears Effect, a third-person run 'n gunner in which the enemies have shields and GTAIV in the Wild West, of course. Those are totally original and groundbreaking. =/

After playing Super Mario Galaxy and reading the sequel's reviews, I expect to see more inventiveness and creativity in any given ten minutes of it than in those three games in their entirety.
#30 Posted by Fallen189 (5305 posts) -

Galaxy 2, easily

#31 Posted by Yummylee (23189 posts) -
@AgentJ:  
A new Tales game?? That will actually have a EURO release??? Almighty fuck yes! I still wouldn't mind trying out the symphonia sequel, though it's supposedly an insult to the first with story canon and not to mention with no returning voice actors beside Cam Clarke. =/
#32 Posted by Kelswitch (142 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 will take some beating for me.
However, if Red Dead carries on as it is then ME could be in some danger.

#33 Posted by papercut (3774 posts) -

ME2, thats about it so far. I havnt got my hands on red dead yet and I'm looking forward to ufc2010.

#34 Posted by uniform (1836 posts) -

Hopefully a game yet to be released. It's kind of depressing to think we've already seen "the best" games of the year, and the rest of the year is full of games that are "not as good".

#35 Posted by Jimbo (10163 posts) -

Red Dead is the first serious competition for ME2 that I've played.  RDR won't be as important as ME2 was - due to the save game stuff, which ME2 basically pioneered and nailed in one go - but it could still be a better game than ME2.  Tough call, and one I can't really make until I finish RDR.  I really hope Mafia 2 ends up in the mix too, but we'll see.

#36 Posted by DavidSnakes (699 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is the most enjoyable and enriching game I've played this year.  I don't think it will be beaten down the road.  DP for GOTY

#37 Posted by ninjakiller (3428 posts) -

I guess Bioshock 2.  I haven't had a chance to play RDR yet, so we'll if it bumps B2.

#38 Posted by NakAttack (1329 posts) -

so far:ME2. but the near future has crysis 2, fable 3, and others im sure might be sleepers

#39 Posted by Dtat (1701 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 with Bayonetta as a second place. I don't own a wii, and I'm not the biggest Mario fan to begin with, so Galaxy 2 probably won't make it on my list. I honestly don't see anything toppling Mass Effect 2. What a great game. Just top to bottom.
#40 Posted by odintal (1118 posts) -

Fallout: New Vegas will probably be my goty.   
I've sunk a lot of time into that series over the years and I'm anxious to see what Obsidian is doing with it.

#41 Posted by Dtat (1701 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @GunnBjorn said:
"Mass Effect 2 Alan Wake Red Dead Redemption  These are quite obligatory, i know. And no matter how good Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to be, It's too much of the same concept to be a candidate again for GotY imo.   "
Unlike Gears Effect, a third-person run 'n gunner in which the enemies have shields and GTAIV in the Wild West, of course. Those are totally original and groundbreaking. =/ 

Maybe the combat isn't original, but I would argue that Mass Effect 2 tells story and creates immersive worlds and caracters better than any other game that's ever been made. I've never played a game that has such likeable and believable characters in my life. It manages to create a world that reacts to your choices in ways that are actually meaningful. That's just never been done on this level. 
#42 Posted by Cornman89 (1600 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" @Icemael said:
" @GunnBjorn said:
Maybe the combat isn't original, but I would argue that Mass Effect 2 tells story and creates immersive worlds and caracters better than any other game that's ever been made. I've never played a game that has such likeable and believable characters in my life. It manages to create a world that reacts to your choices in ways that are actually meaningful. That's just never been done on this level.  "
In addition...you can charge through solid matter!
#43 Edited by Icemael (6795 posts) -
@Dtat said:

"I don't own a wii, and I'm not the biggest Mario fan to begin with, so Galaxy 2 probably won't make it on my list."

Believe me, you don't need to be a fan of Mario to like Super Mario Galaxy. Being a fan of fun is more than enough :P 

@Dtat said:

" @Icemael said:

" @GunnBjorn said:
Maybe the combat isn't original, but I would argue that Mass Effect 2 tells story and creates immersive worlds and caracters better than any other game that's ever been made. I've never played a game that has such likeable and believable characters in my life. It manages to create a world that reacts to your choices in ways that are actually meaningful. That's just never been done on this level.  "
And I respectfully disagree. There are several games with better characters and stories, and so far, I don't feel like any of the choices -- neither ones made in the first nor the second game -- have had any significant impact on anything. I mean yes, you get a couple of e-mails from people you've helped out or fucked over, and the 10 minutes you spend in the camp on the Krogan homeworld are a bit different, but that's pretty much it.

I did enjoy Mass Effect 2 though, and I hope Mass Effect 3 properly delivers on the "your choices significantly impact the world" thing. If it does, it's going to be kickass.
#44 Posted by odintal (1118 posts) -
@Cornman89: at a certain speed all solid matter becomes liquid. 
#45 Posted by Venatio (4654 posts) -

I have no idea, but at the moment it's between Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2

#46 Edited by GunnBjorn (2905 posts) -
@Icemael: 

Boy, i'm sorry, i didn't mean to offend you. 
SMG 1 was incredible, a just GotY of 2007.  
I just can't see a Mario game winning again, that's all.
ME 2 seems to be more likely since it's a huge improvement over ME 1. 
Alan Wake, i'll admit, is a personal favorite and will lose the race no doubt. 
RDR... you're right, it's a Western GTA; It has been done before but man, it's really good!  
Please, it's just my silly little insight in what i think might and might not be GotY 2010. 
That's it. 
Friends again? 

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Mass Effect 2 is up there; Red Dead Redemption is the obvious front runner. "
RDR for me. 
#48 Posted by sopranosfan (1965 posts) -

There are already at least 4 or 5 serious contenders and it isn't even June yet.  I can't even imagine the forums once they start getting picked this year.  The best I have played is Mass Effect 2 but I haven't convinced my wife to give me RDR so I can't compare it to that and of course I don't have Mario Galaxy 2 yet so I have only played a couple of the contenders.

#49 Posted by BeachThunder (13051 posts) -

Por2l. This is actually how the game will be spelled...maybe.

#50 Edited by jakob187 (22305 posts) -

Right now, it's honestly tougher than last year was. 

Here's my serious contenders that have already been released:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Bayonetta
  • Bioshock 2
  • Battlefield: Bad Company 2

There is still room, however, as we have New Vegas, Halo: Reach, and Brink coming later this year. 

I'm also highly interested to see what Vanquish has to offer, and I've yet to play Alan Wake.  With the way things sound about that game, I should love it. 

It's an amazingly interesting year for gaming.