What do you want in the Next-Gen consoles?

• 57 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

I'd like to be able to finally have 64-player matches that the PC-gamers have.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

A disk changer. I have been saying this since the PlayStation 2.

And FUCK YOU if you say "all digital future" because I don't want an all digital future.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

New games.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jrinswand

Honestly, I don't know. I'm still pretty happy with the current generation. I'm not sure improvement for improvement's sake is always a good thing.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DopeToast

Sorry Dagbiker, but an all digital future, at least in terms of most full price retail games being available for download as well. And save states at any time, like in most emulators.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm going to be a MASSIVE lame-ass and say...better graphics.

The only things that I find lacking in the modern console experience are related to marketing and interface. Those things will never be fixed, so I'll take more prettiness.

I guess that additional processing power is also important for AI and various other neat game functions. So overall, give my damned TV-dedicated box as much horsepower as my TV-ocassional PC.

Avatar image for theactionfigure
TheActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheActionFigure

Yeah it's hard for me to even think about the next gen. This generation of systems pretty much implemented everything I've wanted. If anything I want to be able to transfer all of my digital purchases to the new system without any hiccups. I also want more concrete release dates for downloadable games.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dayve86

I don't care if it still have an optical drive, but I'd like to be able to download all games released including retail. Aside from that I'd just like a jump in graphical fidelity.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

To make pizzas.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

I don't mind downloading some of my games, but i like to buy some of my games on disk too.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SSValis

@AcidBrandon18 said:

I'd like to be able to finally have 64-player matches that the PC-gamers have.

me too

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Ace829

I know this will sound weird, but with all the hoops you have to go through to play a damn game on consoles, you might as well go all the way to be like a PC and include more widespread mouse and keyboard support.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Games?

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I'd like full 1080p and the option to either download or buy physical games.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By shiftymagician

@nintendoeats said:

I'm going to be a MASSIVE lame-ass and say...better graphics.

I really don't understand why this is a lame thing to ask for. For anyone with half a brain, this is a logical expectation for next generation hardware. So much more can still be done in regards to graphics and anything that enhances the presentation of games, from more processing space to accomodate larger numbers of animated models on the screen, to more room for AI routines to make the worlds feel more dynamic than this generation. That's just barely touching what still needs to improve in the visual aspects of games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

@Dagbiker said:

A disk changer. I have been saying this since the PlayStation 2.

And FUCK YOU if you say "all digital future" because I don't want an all digital future.

Not that necessary really. Changers tend to brake more often then a single disc drive and also tend to take way too much room espacially if you're trying to keep the price as low as you can and not having a huge console. Second, BD will make sure developers will have enough room.

@Video_Game_King said:

Games?

This. More to the point, I want developer to invest as much time with refining and innovating on gameplay as they did with graphics on this gen. Maybe a return to the middle to late 90's and early 2000's when developer experimented with a lot of gameplay elements.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zelyre

Adjustable field of vision. Even at a distance, the silly low fov to reduce things on screen makes my head hurt. I am sure gamers who have very large tvs or projectors would like the option too.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mordukai said:

Maybe a return to the middle to late 90's and early 2000's when developer experimented with a lot of gameplay elements.

I'm not entirely sure that time will ever come again. In fact, it only came because an extra dimension forced developers to rethink a lot about how they design games.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Contrarian

@Video_Game_King said:

Games?

My thoughts exactly. Screw the technology, just make GOOD games.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By AngelN7

New game franchises and spin-offs of the ones in this generation that I liked ( Mass Effect , Uncharted ) and be able to retain my trophies and all that crap.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai said:

Maybe a return to the middle to late 90's and early 2000's when developer experimented with a lot of gameplay elements.

I'm not entirely sure that time will ever come again. In fact, it only came because an extra dimension forced developers to rethink a lot about how they design games.

True a lot of developer had to rethink how they make games because of the added dimension but a lot of it came from more gameplay-to-narrative relationship. Games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, Thief 2, Baldur's Gate, and all those bad boys of games. I mean so much of the gameplay elements that are used in almost every game today were set way back then. I am not trying to discount current innovations but damn those were some great times.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By monetarydread

I want to see a fully-developed, easy to use set of developer tools to be built and a system that is easy to program for.

A digital store with full control given to whomever is publishing a game. By that I mean if a publisher wants to sell their game for $1.56 for ten minutes, they have that power to do make that change instantly.

More measures to enforce a standard for quality on the platform. For example, all games must run at a minimum of 1080p at a constant 30fps.

A controller that doesn't suck. Imagine a 360 controller with a d-pad that does works even better than the Japanese saturn d-pad (I wish somebody other than Nintendo could use the cross-pad), operating wireless with less lag and a better battery life.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mordukai:

I think it's worth noting that those are all PC games, so it would be pretty stupid to apply these lessons to anything that isn't a PC game. As such, I'll bow out of this argument and leave it to somebody more experienced in PC gaming.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedRoach

@Jrinswand said:

Honestly, I don't know. I'm still pretty happy with the current generation. I'm not sure improvement for improvement's sake is always a good thing.

Console games are running on SEVEN year old hardware. Even more so since they have to finalize hardware quite a bit before release. Graphics will look much better, performance on games will be better, high res textures, more capabilities. I mean, look at The Witcher 2, or Battlefield, look at Skyrim with a high res texture pack.

The thing I'm most excited for is new IP's. It seems like a lot of dev's are extending their franchises until new consoles, holding off their new stuff until the next gen. The more power will allow games to add a lot more stuff in their games. Even if games don't look much better, they'll have better performance.

I'm also excited to see Microsofts update to achievement system (if they update it).

Also, I'm just looking forward to the operating system being designed around the modern market. Think about how much this industry has changed in the past 7 years, There are a lot of things current consoles can't take advantage off because they're so old. Free to Play arcade games for example. I would REALLY love a mod system. Let it go through a certification process, fine. I know it will never be as open as a PC's mod scene, but I've seen some amazing mods for games that I wish i could have.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jrinswand
@Jason_Bourne said:

@Jrinswand said:

Console games are running on SEVEN year old hardware. Even more so since they have to finalize hardware quite a bit before release. Graphics will look much better, performance on games will be better, high res textures, more capabilities. I mean, look at The Witcher 2, or Battlefield, look at Skyrim with a high res texture pack.

See, the examples you used are the exact reason that I don't think we need a new round of consoles yet. Sure, The Witcher 2 and Battlefield look good, but they don't look that different from their console counterparts. They certainly don't warrant new $500-600 systems and all the crap that goes along with them. Maybe when people are actually doing new things with software, then it would sense to release new consoles. As it is, I just don't think new consoles would have the same difference in fidelity as there was between Playstation and the Playstation 2, or between the Playstation 2 and the Playstation 3. It seems like it would just be more of the same, just with better textures. That sounds pretty boring to me.
RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedRoach

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai said:

True a lot of developer had to rethink how they make games because of the added dimension but a lot of it came from more gameplay-to-narrative relationship. Games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, Thief 2, Baldur's Gate, and all those bad boys of games. I mean so much of the gameplay elements that are used in almost every game today were set way back then. I am not trying to discount current innovations but damn those were some great times.

It also doesn't help that games cost WAY more money to make these days.Taking risks can have far larger consequences, and safe bets are bringing in good profits. However, there's an entire new iOS market that has a lot of innovation, sure it's all casual games, but dev's get to throw out ideas and try new things. Hopfully console makers will look at this when developing the next gen. If they can find I way to incorporate this kind of process everyone wins. They make money, Dev's can try new things without taking huge money risks, and consumers get new and fresh games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai:

I think it's worth noting that those are all PC games, so it would be pretty stupid to apply these lessons to anything that isn't a PC game. As such, I'll bow out of this argument and leave it to somebody more experienced in PC gaming.

Not so true. A lot of features that were invented and used in PC gaming back then are being in game across the board. Especially with the PS3 and the 360 which are more dedicated, locked hardware, PC's then an old fashioned console. Personally I think the Wii is a more gaming console then any of the two as the Wii does offer a gaming experience that you can't really find anywhere else no matter how much Microsoft and Sony wants you to think. Seeing how the next round of consoles are even closer to being PC's then I think the lines are gonna get blurred even more.

I think the real roadblock developers have today is fear. In this market where gaming studios live and die by the power of a single flop then developer are scared taking a chance and publishers are afraid of taking a risk on an "innovating project". Look at Heavy Rain. Doesn't matter what you think of the game but by all means this game could have turned out to be a massive failure for all parties. But give creds when it's due because the developer took the risk and Sony gave them enough trust on a project they could have pulled the plug at any point no matter how much they invested in it.

On a somewhat related subject I recently came across a little unknown Irrational Games project that never came into fruition. It's game they worked on after they did SWAT 4 and would have been the next game from them and would have used many features from SWAT 4. Take a look at it and tell if it ring any bells.

Talksin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Talksin

Games, new Intellectual Properties specifically. Better graphics, and hopefully a better card than the rumored equivalent to an AMD 6770. I would like for Microsoft to adopt blu-ray's (and they most likely will). Significant mass storage at launch instead of 60-80 gig nonsense, and hopefully keep the removable HDD's. Also, the ability to purchase digital copies of all games thru the console's marketplace/network. I know it's too much to ask for but if both Sony and Microsoft could develop something comparable to Steam as far as digital distribution that would be fucking awesome.

I realize this is all pretty goddamn wishful thinking, but I don't think any of these are impossible tasks to ask for a next generation. Also for a price-point under $600.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mordukai

@Jason_Bourne said:

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai said:

It also doesn't help that games cost WAY more money to make these days.Taking risks can have far larger consequences, and safe bets are bringing in good profits. However, there's an entire new iOS market that has a lot of innovation, sure it's all casual games, but dev's get to throw out ideas and try new things. Hopfully console makers will look at this when developing the next gen. If they can find I way to incorporate this kind of process everyone wins. They make money, Dev's can try new things without taking huge money risks, and consumers get new and fresh games.

The iOS platform offers more casual play in the same vain as the old arcade parlors. Most "hardcore" type gaming on it kinda tend to fall flat on it's face mostly because of the input device. IMO the true innovation is coming from the indie scene. Seems like these guys are more open to taking risks and truly innovating. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Frankly I think that many main stream developer are in a better position to truly experiment because of their statures in the industry but for some reason are not willing to take that risk. People like Ken Levine, Ted Howard, John Carmack, and many more. Can you imagine what these guys will do if they try doing something outside of their comfort zone.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MegaLombax

Moar games. If a change in gaming platform is the only way to get more games, I'm down with that.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By grilledcheez

I honestly don't know at this point. There's too much speculation and too many things I don't care about, I want them to wow me when they announce them!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ravenlight

Better hardware so designers can start pushing boundaries again.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedRoach

@mordukai said:

@Jason_Bourne said:

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai said:

The iOS platform offers more casual play in the same vain as the old arcade parlors. Most "hardcore" type gaming on it kinda tend to fall flat on it's face mostly because of the input device. IMO the true innovation is coming from the indie scene. Seems like these guys are more open to taking risks and truly innovating. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Frankly I think that many main stream developer are in a better position to truly experiment because of their statures in the industry but for some reason are not willing to take that risk. People like Ken Levine, Ted Howard, John Carmack, and many more. Can you imagine what these guys will do if they try doing something outside of their comfort zone.

I was thinking less about the actual games coming out on iOS and more about the system of releasing those games. I was thinking about how MS and Sony could implement a system that allows those indie devs a way to put their games out easier. A service the better...serves those innovative people. They need to allow dev's to decide their pricing to what exactly they want. And they need to get rid of the 1 game a week crap. Let dev's put out their games the day they want to. Basically, I just want the Steam service on a console to sum everything up.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordukai

@Jason_Bourne said:

@mordukai said:

@Jason_Bourne said:

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai said:

They need to allow dev's to decide their pricing to what exactly they want. And they need to get rid of the 1 game a week crap. Let dev's put out their games the day they want to. Basically, I just want the Steam service on a console to sum everything up.

I think you just made Steve Ballmer feel a disturbance in the force or at the very least get a heartburn or a good laugh.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kogasu

Open source and modding... just kidding.

Just better hardware, more video games etc. which I would say is a given, and I would like for it to have an optical drive as well. I know there's a lot of talk about full on digital distribution, but I honestly can't imagine not having at least SOME physical copies of new video games.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hoossy

keyboard/mouse support,

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By captain_clayman

here's something revolutionary:

QUICK SAVING.

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Phyrlord

For them to go back to being focused on the real player base. Getting away from all that "holy shit the Wii made sooo much monies.. we better gear it towards 8 years and mom and dads!"... also.. Hire professional Interface Developers, do some market reasearch on it.. the 360 dash is horrible.. It actually feels like it's a chore to just find new arcade demos.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By AndrewB

1080p, 60FPS games as a mandate. It will never happen, because there's always some company wanting to push the graphical limits of a system, and that always means sub 30FPS settings. Also, the very odd PC port.

Having all video games available for download at retail-competitive pricing. WIll also never happen... I mean, have you seen the pricing on current digital options across all systems? They gouge the shit out of you and only crazy people buy that way.

A new Persona game and a new Half-Life title.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cky4890

Ability to play with a mouse and keyboard and a steadi framerate. More ease for publishers to get more small indie games

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By solidwolf52

Blu-Ray.

Release date download options for most major releases.

No motion controls. (This will never happen)

Better media apps(Netflix, HBOGO etc.)

Better graphics, processors etc.

Better market place systems. Both 360 and PS3's suck.

Less clutter on homescreen.

Unchanged controller design.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I would like to see hardware in my next-gen consoles. That is a must for me

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gargantuan

Next Xbox - Needs better graphics and blu-ray.

Next Playstation - Needs better graphics and controller.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'd very much like them to be console games and not watered down pc games. Which is what the xbox360 is for the most part. The PS3 not so much. The Wii, thats a console.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Something that makes me think I can't play a better version of this on a semi-decent gaming PC.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By louiedog

I want to pair profiles with controllers. If I turn on the system with the black controller, sign in my profile. If the white controller is turned on, sign in to my girlfriend's profile automatically. Include a couple of colored stickers or something to slap on the controller to tell different ones of the same color apart. It's not a big deal, but it'd be handy.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hughesman

I want an ethereal dream-like state. Also a decent sized hard drive would be nice.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By Seppli
  • Controller-wise? More shoulderbuttons. A mousewheel or two. Higher fidelity analogsticks with as little deadzone as possible. A touchpad/touchscreen on the gamepad too.
  • Perfromance-wise? Standard Rendering Resolution being 1080p. Developers aiming for 60 FPS in general.
  • Other speccs? 1 TB SSD, at least 4 GB RAM, architecture perfectly suited for data streaming
  • Special Gimmick/Innovation? Abilty to remote access the console and all its functionality with a 4G mobile platform, an affordable platformspecific tablet device suited for gaming on the move (and watching movies etc.). Even more inexpensive BlueTooth model for homeuse too. My console becoming my personal cloud computing service.
  • Cool shit like Netflix for non-US markets. Similar pricing.
ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ApeGantz

Support for those 2k TVs and better coded games.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#50  Edited By Kidavenger

I want them to figure out the goddamn NAT garbage (I'm looking at you Sony), I haven't been able to play anything console wise online yet without some sort of problem while my PC has absolutely no issues.