• 75 results
#1 Edited by jdevlin24tgb (39 posts) -

After listening to a segment on The Gameinformer Show about what some of the editors thought should change going in to the next generation of consoles, I’m curious to find out:

What did you see this gen that you’d like to see done differently? Or something that you’d like to see improved specifically because the current gen didn’t have the capabilities to do it properly? Or even a feature that wasn’t implemented this gen that you’d like to see?

For me, it’s a minor thing: video game hair is horrible and can make any—even greatly designed character—look completely unrealistic. Cell-shaded and cartoonish games get a pass because that’s a stylistic choice, but a game going for a photo-realistic design suffers from shitty hair physics. In stills, most characters look fine, but in motion the hair begins to take on a life of its own. Too many times in the middle of a fierce combat sequence I’ve had to do a double take because I thought some alien-like creature was attacking my head.

Do this:

Not this:

Or just give every character hair like Paul from Tekken - that's good too:

#2 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

Fully destructible environments. I want to see someone take the Red Faction or Battlefield destruction tech and find a way to implement it everywhere in a game.

Any other changes I want don't really have anything to do with needing new consoles. I want more games with strong stories and better written characters. Please give me more games with strong female lead characters. Or at least pull a Mass Effect and let me choose a female character if I want.

#3 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5055 posts) -

I just want to be shocked and awed from the next gen

Also Alan Wake 2

#4 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4679 posts) -

Oh my god, that model of Shawn Micheals is horrid. He deserves better than that.

#5 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2305 posts) -

Less load times. Better general frame rate.

#6 Edited by jdevlin24tgb (39 posts) -

@williamhenry said:

Fully destructible environments. I want to see someone take the Red Faction or Battlefield destruction tech and find a way to implement it everywhere in a game.

Any other changes I want don't really have anything to do with needing new consoles. I want more games with strong stories and better written characters. Please give me more games with strong female lead characters. Or at least pull a Mass Effect and let me choose a female character if I want.

Fully destructible environments would be friggin' sweet. Maybe even destructible environments made completely out of next gen hair, YEAH! Now we're getting somewhere.

I'd also like to add that I'd like more realistic collision detection in a game. I hate how your super soldier badass that slays hordes of alien zombie hybrids can't navigate his way around a chair because it's an object firmly planted in the game world instead of able to be knocked over like the stupid puny chair that it is.

#7 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4212 posts) -

Better PS Home that is worth a shit.

#8 Posted by Cybexx (1174 posts) -

More versatile procedural animation systems. The stuff that Rockstar did this generation with NaturalMotion's Euphoria was great. The stuff they did with integrating your current weapons into cut-scenes in Max Payne 3 was a nice touch. I want them to go further. You can have the greatest shader tech and the best high-res textures but if your characters still move like robots and need to slide into place when they interact with each other or something in the world, you just kill the immersion faster than anything else.

I also kind of want to see someone go crazy with a toon-shaded game. Wind Waker, Okami (and to a lesser extent Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest VIII, XIII) were such amazing examples of this for the previous generation and proved that it takes more than just slapping on a shader that clamps your light values. There wasn't a ton of this style seen on HD systems. We have those Naruto games from Ubisoft and Namco Bandai, along with other anime license games. To an extent Street Fighter IV and recently the PS3 version of Ni No Kuni among a few other JRPGs. But they don't feel as fluid or timeless as Wind Waker or Okami, they feel a lot more like polygons.

#9 Edited by Rorie (2915 posts) -

I think that 60 fps should be a standard, regardless of graphical bells and whistles. Framerate is so important to the feel of a game. I'd rather have that than "perfect" graphics at 30 fps.

Staff
#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11957 posts) -

I want better PC ports, which seems like it's going to be the case, so I suppose I'm happy.

#11 Edited by Reisz (1500 posts) -

I'll add another piece of kindling to the high fidelity collision detection fire. Physics based clothing that doesn't clip would be increase my immersion ten fold.

#12 Posted by SpoogeMcduck (191 posts) -

Not sure if next gen matters much to me. So far in the past few months I've had more fun with Monaco than anything else, and that doesn't require anything next gen to play. Though the last game I had a lot of fun with pre-Monaco was Batman:AC so more games like that and I'll be good too. So maybe next gen does matter. I'm confused.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5525 posts) -

Better AI and consistent frame rates.

I really hope the Oculus Rift takes off and is heavily integrated into the games industry going forward.

#14 Edited by Strife777 (1583 posts) -

Graphically speaking, I'm hoping for better interaction between objects. By that I mean less clipping, especially with clothing, and also getting rid of stuff like weapons floating behind a characters back and such.

#15 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

More openness.

Not saying every game has to be an open world game (Though i do love me some open worlds). But just make games wider and more expansive. I'd rather have a more open and free feeling game than super awesome graphics. I don't want to play any corridor shooters or linear as fuck RPG's.

Better A.I.

Again, I'd much rather they stress the engine putting a priority on AI over graphics. (I'm not a programmer I'm sure someone is gonna go "It doesn't work that way!!!!") Just saying. If I'm playing a shooter and I'm just sniping dudes, I want them to notice. Suppressing fire the shit out of me, then flank me with other guys on the sides. None of this "we'll just sit here and shoot at you with AK-47's from half a mile away while you casually snipe us all" nonsense.

Framerate.

Again. Prioritize this over graphics. I cannot think of a single genre that would benefit from hyper-graphics at the loss of framerate.

Basically, make everything else better before you worry about having the best looking game. Easier said than done I know. Personally I'm really looking forward to next-gen games. Mostly just seeing fresh ideas and IP's, and big overhauls of old IP's. Next-gen elderscrolls? Yeah, i know thats gonna be good and it hasn't even been announced.

EDIT: OH! and no more fucking floating weapons 3-6 inches off you back. I like seeing weapons not being used on people, but just the floating weapons thing gets to me. weird nitpicky thing sure, but come on!

#16 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Cheaper games. Both for the consumer and for the developer and publisher, cheaper games. AAA games are getting more expensive to make. But the success of indie games with Steam, XBLA, and PSN, as well as games with bigger budgets like Journey and even Blood Dragon, have me hopeful that the $20-40 price point is feasible and can be full of legitimately good games.

#17 Edited by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

That games go for art styles rather than realism.

#18 Edited by Zeik (2448 posts) -

I would definitely put better A.I. near the top of the list. I think that is something that could have a drastic effect on gameplay experiences which feels like it hasn't advanced that much over the years. Developers are so obsessed with making graphics that look realistic and yet they still think and act like video game characters. Really dumb video game characters.

#19 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

A standard 1080p60 with added AA so I can have a smooth clean graphics. Smarter A.I. and lots of physics at play that won't bog down the frame rate and from a service side of things like day one releases of new retail games that doesn't cost the ridiculous RRP that no retailer actually abides by.

#20 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3206 posts) -

Better physics, and more memory to handle larger enemy populations. Far Cry 3 had to sacrifice a lot of enemy placements just for it to run on consoles.

And a focused approach towards cartoony stylization than on photorealism.

#21 Edited by peritus (1015 posts) -
#22 Posted by Palmlykta (226 posts) -

Systemwide overscan settings so that all UI doesn't have to be put inside the 'safe area' of the screen.

That, and 60fps standard. Hell I'd take 720p 60fps standard.

#23 Posted by briareosph (14 posts) -

Stop the nickel and diming practices. (This won't happen).

I'd like to be able to have a match going between PS4, Xbox Infinity and PC Gamers in one area or server for the same game as to not divide the community.

Prettier graphics.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
  • I want platform exclusives outside of first party developed stuff to go away.
  • I want every game not made by a first party to come out on every platform PS4/X-Box3/PC
  • I want there to be free online services on everything. Locking basic features behind a paywall like on xbox lives means I will not be buying that platform.
  • I want all the content being cut from games to be sold as pre-order bonuses, day one dlc, and in game micro transactions for non f2p games to go the fuck away. Sadly we all know it's only going to get worse.

Honestly, there's really not much. I'm a PC guy first and foremost because I hate playing games on a controller so there's nothing they could do short of making mouse and keyboard support on all their games mandatory that would get me really excited. I will be looking forward to the bump in power from the machines allowing PC games to not get held back as badly for a few years and that's really about it. Just like with this gen I will just be buying console games that look really neat and not a total nightmare to play on a controller that are console exclusives since 95% of the games I want are on PC too or is some kind of indie game not on consoles to begin with. I would really like to see Japanese game developers embrace the PC as we kind of started to see in the last year or two. I love me some JRPGS and it sucks that they never come to PC.

#25 Posted by ProfessorEss (7378 posts) -

More frames and less tearing obviously.

I'd also love to see someone do something new and interesting on the AI front.

#26 Edited by SomeJerk (3252 posts) -

"Replay-value, instead of single-experience bullshit filled with achievements as a shamefully bad way to extend playtime" - Everybody living in countries that lack console game rental services

#27 Posted by BoOzak (923 posts) -

Mod support. Pretty simple really.

That way people can fix dumb developer oversights without having to wait months for a subpar patch, that and it increases the replay value exponentially.

#28 Posted by Stonyman65 (2711 posts) -

60FPS or bust. I don't care how pretty the game looks, if it plays like shit than I don't want anything to do with it.

New AI would be be good (specifically with shooters)

Longer games. I miss the old days of 20 hour+ games. These days if you make it to 12 thats considered "long" (at least when compared to something like COD) For $60, I want something that will last a bit longer than 2 or 3 sittings.

#29 Posted by Abendlaender (2807 posts) -

Framerate and AI are the most important things to me. Grafic? Don't care

#30 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Diffrent Controls, or diffrent control options. Halo would have never worked if dual joysticks wernt around. If consoles had diffrent controlers, or supported diffrent control scemes it could lead to evolution in how you play games. Nintendo is trying to do this. Succeeding in some ways, and trailing in others. Sony would not be including the move system with the PS4 if the Wii was not a thing. In fact there probably wouldnt even be a Move. The Kinect wouldent be a thing. The Vita ( might not ) be a thing if the DS was not a thing, although tech was kinda heading in the touch screen direction. But linking your handheld to your console would not be a thing.

I guess I think that one of the reasons why game design has staggered is because input is the same. The controls have not changed for 2 generations. If you changed the controls you might change the game.

#31 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@somejerk said:

"Replay-value, instead of single-experience bullshit filled with achievements as a shamefully bad way to extend playtime"

That right there. They need to focus more on gameplay, gameplaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. The brilliance of games IMO is the open ended, unrestricted and unpredictable gameplay that allows you to string mechanics together, interact with the environment and find crazy fun loopholes and new techniques.

The brilliant design that still allows me to play Deus Ex, Just Cause 2 and Crysis every year and have new experiences, rather than the fact that I loved Infinite but I'm never playing that movie again.

#32 Posted by Castiel (2616 posts) -

Okay here we go:

• 1080p
  • minimum 60 fps all the time for every game
  • better more advanced/unpredictable AI
  • You can pause every game at ANY time: cutscene, gameplay doesn't matter, you press start the game is paused
  • Instantly pick up and play. No more waiting around for the game to install patches for an hour.
  • Everything can download/patch in the background while you are playing a game or watching a movie

Yeah that's really what I want the most. I know some of these features have already been confirmed for PS4 but that is still what I want the most. Basically I want no more waiting when I want to play a game.

#33 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

This is something small but l want Sony to add the ability to capture screenshots of games on the PS3. I know you can on the PS3 already but it isn't the greatest quality and it cant be done with every game.

#34 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

Graphics-wise, I would love to see better textures, less pop in, and less tearing.

AI-wise, higher quantity NPCs with more varied movement/ability. Too many "open-world" games are populated by hordes of mindless zombies that walk loops. They talk to blank walls and act as if disconnected from the world. When I stand in a crowd I want to feel like its a crowd of individuals.

Better weather and day/night cycles. Sometimes you get rain done well in a game, but what about other weather? Snow storms, windy days, a heat wave. The Watch Dogs devs talked a lot about creating a near future Chicago that is the windy city. That seems really cool if they can pull it off without glitches.

#35 Posted by medacris (660 posts) -

Better writing, A.I., reduced lag, and better, more interesting, more varied gameplay. Less glitches. I'm an artist, but I still prefer better mechanics over a beautiful game, if I absolutely had to choose one or the other. Art-wise, I value a good, interesting art style and unique animations (i.e. two characters with different personalities walk and express their emotions differently) over 1080p.

#36 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Outside of just more better AI, graphics and whatnot I really just want a Steam-like market on my consoles.

#37 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1607 posts) -

This is obviously not the most important thing, but I'm looking forward to faster XMB (or whatever they call it) performance on the PS4. I shouldn't have to wait 15+ seconds for a video app to load, it shouldn't take me 30 seconds to get at a game's trophy list, and I shouldn't have to wait for loading indicators as I flip through in-game XMB columns. Everything should be as fast as one would expect from, say, a smartphone.

I know why it's slow now -- the PS3 is very resource constrained by modern standards -- but when we're talking about 8 GB of RAM, there's no excuse.

#38 Posted by Nezza (360 posts) -
  • Reduced loading times when transitioning between zones in games like Skyrim.
  • More 'realistic' touches in game worlds to further increase immersion.
  • Persistant worlds and items - e.g. if I drop something in Fallout 6, I want that item to be there when I come back 12 hours later.
  • Quicker access to change settings in games without significant delay or reloading (such as muting).
  • Totally customisable notifications - i.e. I only want to be notified when people I specify come online, not everyone on my friends list.
  • Proper matchmaking like they promised all the way back at the launch of Xbox Live.
  • The reputation system on Xbox Live to be utilised properly - by both players and games alike. I'd like the ability to filter out people below a certain rep level or incomplete match percentage in FIFA.
  • 'Freemium content to disappear, or failing that not be used outside of the mobile/casual market.
  • Pre-Order DLC to be either available to all purchases regardless of retailer or to sod off entirely.
  • Nintendo to properly utilise voice actors for whatever Zelda comes out (yeah, I'm in the realms of fantasy now)
  • Fully customisable controls for all titles.
  • The PS4 thumbsticks to be less floppy then the PS3's (personal preference).
  • Sony to remember the Vita exists outside of media presentations.
  • 'Social media' to be optional not compulsory. If I say no to linking an account, I want never to be asked again unless I specifically go into the options and change the setting myself. Do not ask me every time I play the game.
  • Multiplayer to stay the hell away from single-player RPS's. I'd especially like multiplayer not to be added to the third game of a trilogy and to have an impact on my single player experience no matter how small.
#39 Edited by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Better writing and fewer gravel-voiced, testosterone-drenched main characters, at least in games where the story is meant to be taken seriously. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Saints Row are one thing, but pretty much every story-driven game sounds like it has the same douchebag doing the same voice in the same way. It takes me out of the experience a little. It's better than it used to be, for sure, but very corny and one-dimensional compared to a decent film or something. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for example, was a good game, but Jensen's voice was just ridiculous, and it didn't fit with all the social commentary that I was supposed to be imbibing.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9815 posts) -
  • Better use of dynamic animation (especially for cover systems so everything doesn't have to be waist high).
  • A shift back towards games being interactive entertainment rather than passive entertainment. Stop treating players like idiots and stop taking control away from me every 20 seconds so you can show me something 'awesome' happening.
  • Get achievements out of my face if I don't want to see that stuff.
  • Stop nickel & diming me constantly. Have some damn respect for your game.
  • Decent Kinect style head-tracking. Head-tracking makes a huge difference in the right game, but having to wear something makes it not worth messing about with.
  • PS Move controllers with thumbsticks like the original design. One of those in each hand opens up so many options for gameplay.
  • Reduce HUD to an absolute minimum where possible, a la Dead Space.
#41 Edited by Nezza (360 posts) -

@jimbo said:

• A shift back towards games being interactive entertainment rather than passive entertainment. Stop treating players like idiots and stop taking control away from me every 20 seconds so you can show me something 'awesome' happening.

This for sure. I haven't bought a Call of Duty game since CoD 3, or really played one at all in that time. I borrowed a copy of Black Opps 2 from my brother as he said that the single player was much more fleshed out in it. At one point I raced up to a tank and then watched for 5 minutes as the guy I'm meant to be controlling climbed on, almost fell off, inched his way along before finally throwing a grenade through the hatch. A mate who was watching at the time said that it looked awesome, to which I could only reply that it did indeed look awesome and I just wish that I could have done it instead of sitting around for so long and waiting to play again.

#42 Edited by Pezen (1606 posts) -

@jimbo said:

• Reduce HUD to an absolute minimum where possible, a la Dead Space.

Indeed. And on top of that respect the HD resolution and apply HUD objects, if they're needed, far off to the screen's edge and/or make the placements of those objects customizable. If it wasn't for me wanting to know where the hell I was going or how many arrows I had, I would turn off all of Assassin's Creed's HUD elements, because like so many games this generation, they're placed way too far in toward the center of the screen.

#43 Posted by Duder_Me (307 posts) -

I want games where there's no more lame quick-time events or slow-motion sequences with different angles. Also, I want an end to microtransactions and DLC, besides expansion packs. I also want more fun, lighthearted games like the platformers of the last generation.

#44 Edited by Salarn (465 posts) -

Everything steam brings to the PC but on consoles.

#45 Edited by MonetaryDread (2035 posts) -

I want consoles to update every year like the iPhone does. My 360 died almost two years ago and my PS3 died almost a year ago. I refuse to buy an overpriced console this late in the generation and releasing a new updated console every year will convince me to upgrade more often.

#46 Posted by Zeik (2448 posts) -

I want consoles to update every year like the iPhone does. My 360 died almost two years ago and my PS3 died almost a year ago. I refuse to buy an overpriced console this late in the generation and releasing a new updated console every year will convince me to upgrade more often.

I'm sorry, but that's just a horrible idea. We don't need a new console every year. That's absurd.

#47 Edited by huser (1082 posts) -

Denser environments. All well and good for Cole to be able to climb all the buildings in the city a step up from the average GTA clone of the previous gen. But they are all monolithic boxes with textures. I want to be able to go inside buildings. I'd love destructible environments be more a thing especially in the superhero type games. I'd also like insane crowds where appropriate. Even Sleeping Dogs is basically a wasteland compared to a dense urban population.

#48 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

We need implementation of proper butt physics. Breast physics are fine and dandy but how are video game characters supposed to realistically twerk if that booty ain't poppin? Its a serious issue man.

#49 Posted by huser (1082 posts) -

@nezza said:
Persistant worlds and items - e.g. if I drop something in Fallout 6, I want that item to be there when I come back 12 hours later.

I get what you are saying, but at least for Fallout, I'd completely expect anything worthwhile to be scavenged by someone 12 hours later. Which would actually be awesome. I liked the Caravan thing in Fallout 3. Would be nice if all the NPC's just went about their own business in an open world game rather than being dropped in (sometimes literally) once you get near them. It would ideally help deal with economic issues as areas you visit pass your money or gear on through the game world.

#50 Posted by Tortoise (187 posts) -

I'd like for Steam pricing policies to transfer to console digital releases, i.e. reasonable prices up front, decreasing steadily over time and periodic generous sales.