Posted by finmon (117 posts) -

Ever wondered exactly what personal info Microsoft keeps on you when you sign up to their services?

Well wonder no more, a leaked internal document from Microsoft reveals exactly what they keep on record.

If you signed up to Xbox live using a credit card, Microsoft keeps the following info on file: date of birth, name, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, credit card number, type of credit card, credit card expiration, plus your Microsoft Passport and Xbox serial number.

Plus, for up to 180 days they hang on to: screen names, IP address, IP logs, billing info and email content.

Probably not much to worry about.

Unless, of course, you have a tendency to brag about your criminal exploits via e-mail or online generally.  Law enforcement can subpoena any of this stuff. 

[Source]

#1 Posted by finmon (117 posts) -

Ever wondered exactly what personal info Microsoft keeps on you when you sign up to their services?

Well wonder no more, a leaked internal document from Microsoft reveals exactly what they keep on record.

If you signed up to Xbox live using a credit card, Microsoft keeps the following info on file: date of birth, name, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, credit card number, type of credit card, credit card expiration, plus your Microsoft Passport and Xbox serial number.

Plus, for up to 180 days they hang on to: screen names, IP address, IP logs, billing info and email content.

Probably not much to worry about.

Unless, of course, you have a tendency to brag about your criminal exploits via e-mail or online generally.  Law enforcement can subpoena any of this stuff. 

[Source]

#2 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Ah! Scary!

I actually just removed my credit card information recently from both Microsoft and Sony, since I was making far too many impulse purchases. Also, I was just a bit bothered by giving out my personal information so easily. From now on, it'll only be points/PSN network cards from Amazon!

#3 Edited by finmon (117 posts) -
@VinceNotVance:
Scary is right!  
Even though all manner of people probably have lots of info about me in files, it sort of shatters the illusion of anonimity you feel when going online.

Its odd to think that if I died under suspicious circumstances the police would be pawing through my e-mails and Live activity. (although its sensible they should be allowed to do that)
#4 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Damn, I better go move those bodies.

#5 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

None of that stuffs seems out of the ordinary.

#6 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" None of that stuffs seems out of the ordinary. "
Agreed.