Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FunExplosions

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

I seem to remember Brad once saying that 90% of his day is spent sending/answering emails. After that it's recording content, playing games for review, and writing reviews.

Also, don't underestimate how long those videos take to make. For a 40 minute Quick Look they are probably recording for a good 3 hours, and editing for maybe twice that time.

If it takes 6 hours to edit that, then they need a new editor. Because I could cut that up in about an hour.

...Are you challenging Vinny? Because that will not end well for you.

I think you overestimate how much the staff cares about these things. I'd bet the quick looks, by and large, are presented as-is. They record, say what they wanna say, stop recording, and they're done. The only editing they do is when they come back to the game at a presumed later time to show one more thing, or when Ryan says a three-lettered word.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By nightriff

NOT doing a RPCG like they should be doing

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Grissefar

@Sweep said:

I seem to remember Brad once saying that 90% of his day is spent sending/answering emails. After that it's recording content, playing games for review, and writing reviews.

Also, don't underestimate how long those videos take to make. For a 40 minute Quick Look they are probably recording for a good 3 hours, and editing for maybe twice that time.

Wow, recording 3 hours and editing 6 hours for a piece of 40 min content that is shot in one take. Ha ! Ha ! I don't think it takes that long to edit the intro in, and what would they spend over 2 hours recording afterwards? Fart sounds? The rendering process probably takes some time, most of which is probably hands off. The proceess that probably takes longest is playing before recording for an hour or two to get familiar with the game, but that generally also benefits the Bombcast.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#54  Edited By ThePickle

@RedCream said:

We need a response from one of the staff to get a decent answer.

Don't hold your breath. Staff almost never respond to forum topics.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By cheesebob

80% is pooping

20% is everything else

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By N7
@Little_Socrates said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Just use Polygon, they certainly have higher quality news than Kotaku and also write more than GB.

The staff on that site also have a wonderful advice podcast called My Brother, My Brother, And Me. The only podcast you need to hear.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#57  Edited By Little_Socrates

@N7 said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Just use Polygon, they certainly have higher quality news than Kotaku and also write more than GB.

The staff on that site also have a wonderful advice podcast called My Brother, My Brother, And Me. The only podcast you need to hear.

Well, Trav doesn't work for Polygon, and I'd still put value in the Bombcast (AND MY OWN PODCAST!!!!ONE!) but MBMBAM is definitely a must-listen.

Though, uh, don't listen to the episode titled "The Garfield Monstrosity" first or ever. Or maybe sometime next week, BUT NOT NOW.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Drink.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By N7
@Little_Socrates: It was far, far too late for that my friend. I didn't understand what I had gotten myself into, but the one thing I do understand is: There's no coming back. Garfield Body+Pam Anderson's head all the way.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60  Edited By Little_Socrates

@N7 said:

@Little_Socrates: It was far, far too late for that my friend. I didn't understand what I had gotten myself into, but the one thing I do understand is: There's no coming back. Garfield Body+Pam Anderson's head all the way.

I was more warning people who were looking for a first episode to listen to. 'cause if that was your first episode, OH NO.

Garf-head, though I'd have to listen to the conversation again if I were ever forced into that situation.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@laserbolts said:

@Sweep: Really? Damn they do some amazing editing then because it seems like it's all in one shot when you watch it.

They are one shot usually but occasionally they do pretty clear cuts and it's not unusual it seems to have a Quick Look have at least a practice run or a failed recording or an issue and they start over. So that may be some of the time added in there. I know that Quick Looks take longer to record than they do to watch, especially when they have to start over, or completely redo the whole thing. They may also record some b-roll should they need it for the Quick Look or if the game is going to get a review or something, because they are already there recording, although I know that was done by interns when they had them.

@CrimsonClown: The point of not cutting content from s is to SHOW things like the Batman Ego issue, which if observant watchers will note, Ryan does what he needs to do, and gets nothing out of it, and then assumes, due to the lack of feedback, that it wasn't the right thing to do. Editing would never get rid of that kind of thing that displays an honest issue that the game has.

And plenty of games do in fact cut/transition between load jumps because they often have to switch to a new storage device or what have you. Generally when Jeff isn't in the quick look it's not unusual to see cuts, but for whatever reason Jeff Quick Looks are filled with dashboard and blade footage lol.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By musubi

They probably sit around watching anime. Those damn fart commanders.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Grillbar

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

If it takes 6 hours to edit that, then they need a new editor. Because I could cut that up in about an hour.

careful there, you dont wanna disturb the force of vinny and his army. it can get messy cuz we are many

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By Hunter5024

@Demoskinos said:

I think most of them hate anime with the exception of Vinny, and the other guys watching some DBZ when they were younger. I wonder what modern anime they'd watch if they had to...

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By shadows_kill

They make secret endurance runs and never show them to the rest of the world.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Dagbiker said:

I Imagin a lot of their day is

1. 1% Planing the day
  2. 15% Playing games,
  3. 15% Writing,
  4. 10% Dicking Around,
  5. 10% Meatings,
  6. 49% Anwesering Emails and Administration

But this is just me guessing bassed on what I see in the ILM's

92% Playing with Giant Gummy worms. 
Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lanechanger

How much video games do you guys think they play in the office vs at home? Where is the line between business and pleasure drawn?

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Well they certainly don't spend the time coming up with new quests, that's for sure.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Dany

I don't know whats Sweep is drinking but quick looks are posted mostly unedited with a bumper slapped upfront. thats it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#70  Edited By Hailinel

@Sweep said:

Would you like to explain how it takes three hours to record a straight forty minutes of gameplay?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Internet stuff, probably.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By williamhenry

@GJSmitty said:

@Dagbiker said:

@GJSmitty said:

@believer258 said:

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

...Are you challenging Vinny? Because that will not end well for you.

I'm not challenging Vinny, but what could possible take so long? Record it, make sure everything looks and works right, upload it and then you're done. At least, that's how I always thought the process worked. Apparently there's something I don't understand.

You have to render videos when you are done editing them. This takes a long time. I know for me it takes sometimes over an hour to render a 10 minute video, which would mean a 40 minute video would take 4 hours or more. But they probably have better hardware, so it will take slightly less time, but it is still something that adds to the time.

You are partially correct, If you add effects to the video you must render it out. But most of the Quick looks do not have effects on them. So the only rendering they are doing are the fades, if any. Which take seconds.

But don't they have to render any footage that they record? They add that "Quick Look" intro at the beginning of each video, which then requires the entirety of the footage to be rendered out into one video, which, no matter what effects are added, will take awhile.

I think by rendering, they didn't mean literally rendering. They were referring to rendering, compressing, and uploading. All three of those together take time.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By tmthomsen

@Sweep said:

No, the point of the whole quicklook is that they're super fast to make. They fire up the game, push the record button, talk/play, and turn recording off afterwards. The rendering of the video afterwards can be time-comsuming, but that's a nearly automated process.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#74  Edited By musubi
@Hunter5024

@Demoskinos said:

I think most of them hate anime with the exception of Vinny, and the other guys watching some DBZ when they were younger. I wonder what modern anime they'd watch if they had to...

I know. Jokes man! Jokes!
VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By VoshiNova

Scavenger Hunts. Lots and Lots O' scavenger hunts.

Hand drawn maps and everything!

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DukesT3

I hope drinking but seeing all those full bottles disappoints me.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#77  Edited By Oni

@Dany said:

I don't know whats Sweep is drinking but quick looks are posted mostly unedited with a bumper slapped upfront. thats it.

To be fair, Sweep does drink copious amounts. It's safer to assume he's drunk than not.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Lunar_Aura

on slow days they should be soliciting funds to go to TGS or leizpig somewhere outside of the country where they can cover videogames and meet with hot international chicks

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By jacdg

@Dagbiker said:

1. 1% Planing the day
  2. 15% Playing games,
  3. 15% Writing,
  4. 10% Dicking Around,
  5. 10% Meatings,

Wrong, it is

1. 10% luck
  2. 20% Skill
  3. 15% concentrated power of will
  4. 5% pleasure
  5. 50% pain
  6. 100% reason to remember the name
uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By uhtaree

I imagine that they just show up and dick around with their colleagues on twitter, but I'm sure this stuff takes more work than it appears.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By limpbishop

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

Well they certainly don't spend the time coming up with new quests, that's for sure.

This - I guess this is the trade off when a team has to relocate, and get back into BAU. I am still optimistic though - when the E3 dust has settled, I think they will have the time/energy to crank it back up to 11

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By pyromagnestir

@JacDG said:

@Dagbiker said:

1. 1% Planing the day
  2. 15% Playing games,
  3. 15% Writing,
  4. 10% Dicking Around,
  5. 10% Meatings,

Wrong, it is

1. 10% luck
  2. 20% Skill
  3. 15% concentrated power of will
  4. 5% pleasure
  5. 50% pain
  6. 100% reason to remember the name

Curses! I will have to force that song out of my head by repeatedly hitting said head with a hammer. Now if you'll excuse me I've work to do.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Subjugation

@LimpBishop: The interns handled all of the quests. Seeing as how there aren't any interns anymore, my hope for quests making a comeback are decidedly dashed.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#85  Edited By Humanity

Poor Brad answering emails for 7 hours, no wonder he is so bad at videogames.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Ares42

@Sweep said:

I seem to remember Brad once saying that 90% of his day is spent sending/answering emails.

Sounds about right. I'd bet most of their time is used on typical office management work. Although they have often said stuff like "every time I see you playing that at your desk....." on the bombcast, so I bet they use a good amount of the workday for their review playthroughs too. Sorta makes sense really, as if they saved all of it for the evenings they wouldn't really have much free time. Been a few office videos too where you can see someone just playing a game.