#1 Edited by misterpope (379 posts) -

As soon as I thought about this, it scared me. I don't really know what the Wii U does now. It has a ton of potential, games like Zombie U have proven that, but what do you guys think the proper stance for Nintendo is now? How does the Wii U fit into a hard-core gaming market with consoles like the PS4 and whatever the new Xbox is going to be?

#2 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I imagine some good first party games will come out at some point which will hopefully see the system gain some traction. If the first party games don't sell the system than it is fucked.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9695 posts) -

It'll be short. I'm saying Nintendo will have a new console out in the next few years.

#4 Posted by AuthenticM (3724 posts) -

It means that the WiiU won't be different from Nintendo's past consoles since the N64: we'll be buying it just to play Nintendo games.

#5 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Watch Dogs. ~ That's it.

#6 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Probably some new life.

#7 Edited by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

I will buy one eventually for first-party games and Bayonetta 2.

That's about it.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

That I won't have to buy Nintendo's next console to play the latest Fire Emblem?

#9 Posted by itspizza (434 posts) -

I think Nintendo is the first one out of the home console business, they botched it from the beginning with the "is it a tablet or a new console" confusion, and it is just not grabbing the casual market the Wii had it's success on.

#10 Posted by jacksmedulla (279 posts) -

I have no doubt Nintendo are shitting themselves in regards to the wii-u at the moment. If all of the footage that was shown, especially the Deep Down footage, is representative of what games will look like on the next generation consoles, then the wii-u could be in an even worse position than the wii was in terms of longevity. Even disregarding the PS4's showing, the wii-u is already struggling to gain a foothold in the market; Nintendo only sold around 50,00 consoles in January. When gaikai, remote play, the dualshock 4, the vita compatibility, the social aspects, and all of the exclusives Sony snapped up are taken into account, the wii-u's offerings are seeming very slim and "last gen". Nintendo is playing catch up poorly.

#11 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

Same as the Wii except your mom won't buy it this time.

#12 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Nothing that we didn't know yet: Wii-U is a No Buy.

#13 Edited by Thandurin (18 posts) -

It means that Nintendo needs more than Wind Waker HD this fall. And that seems unlikely.

#14 Posted by VoidProd (95 posts) -

I think Nintendo already screwed up too much on the naming side. Most of the casual gamers that made the wii such a success does not even know the WiiU is a new console.

The PS4 features are just another nail in the Wii U coffin at this point. It might sound like I'm completly writing off the Wii U, but I still believe it will have some great games that will prevent it from being a irreverible failure.

There are some rumors of Nintendo (or it might have been something straight from Nintendo) that they are putting every relevant talent they have into hardware R&D. So either they are doubling down on the handheld market, or they are recognising that the Wii U might have a short lifetime and come out with a homeconsole that will be on par with (or preferable for nintendo, better than) PS4 and Durango in maybe 3 years time. (Timeframe wild speculation, but possible if they just go with a beefier Wii U)

#15 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

FUCK YOU, MARIO, LUIGI, ZELDA,

STOP TAKING MY CHILDHOOD

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14820 posts) -

Never count Nintendo out.

#17 Edited by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

Software is still king. If Nintendo can put out compelling software then people will buy the WiiU. There's still a lot we don't know about PS4 and Next-box so I think it's still too early to start declaring the WiiU as dead. I think E3 will give us a clearer picture of what the future holds for all of these consoles.

What happens if the price for PS4 and Next-box games is $70.00? How much are these two new consoles going to cost? Will they sell as well as people think they will? The Sony Meeting was an impressive show, no doubt about it, I never thought Sony was going to show as much as they did, but they did not show a single piece of software that sold me on the system day one.

That Deep Down trailer looked amazing but I'd be curious to see how the actual game will look like. MT Framework looked great so this new engine will surely provide incredible looking games. Knack was the most interesting title of the show and even that looked a bit underwhelming.

A lot of the ideas and features that Sony presented are really interesting and would certainly make me buy a PS4 in the distant future,although stuff like backwards compatibility make me wary of the whole thing, but for now my WiiU is more than enough for me.

I think it goes without saying that Nintendo can easily coast by this generation with just their IP and handheld business. And in my opinion, what Sony revealed tonight will not affect Nintendo's strategy whatsoever, for better or worse.

#18 Posted by Killroycantkill (1406 posts) -

Honeslty, it's going to be my Monster Hunter and Bayonetta machine... which is sad but I would most likely be spending my money of PS4/New Xbox games.

#20 Posted by DeathTrap (247 posts) -

It means that the WiiU won't be different from Nintendo's past consoles since the N64: we'll be buying it just to play Nintendo games.

Yeah, exactly this. Nintendo has never been very big on third party games. They get some, but the best of the lot tends to be Nintendo games.

#21 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2290 posts) -

Same as usual great first party and mostly shitty third party.

#22 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

it seems kind of vicious and maybe unlikely but i kind of hope nintendo gets out of the hardware market because i like nintendo a lot more as a developer of software as opposed to hardware. i'd love to see what they could do working with other peoples consoles.

#23 Edited by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

nothing? nintendo's kinda in their own universe, and arguably have been since the gamecube. they have their fans, let's see if they can hold on to them.

#24 Edited by ajamafalous (11988 posts) -

Shit's fucked

#25 Posted by jsocontrer01 (1 posts) -

The PS4 fixes all of the flaws the wii u has that annoy the crap out of me:

slow menus, terrible social, super slow downloads that error out, poor ux design, and being underpowered.

Nintendo should be crapping themselves for releasing a console that is pretty much outdated. I have a wii u...the only game I care about it Metroid Prime.

#26 Posted by Addfwyn (1922 posts) -

I uh...didn't think the Wii U ever really had a future to begin with. Awkward launch time for the hardware it launched with, combined with a gimmick that just isn't going to get people in like the initial Wii did.

#27 Posted by Sweep (8858 posts) -

Please do not tag threads as a question unless you are looking for a specific answer. Thanks

#28 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Big N is fuuuuuuucked.

#29 Posted by Mr402 (144 posts) -

Wii U will be fine. It will still sell to families with young kids and parents who are not iterested in gaming. It will sell to Nintendo fans like myself who only buy the console for Nintendo games. Been that way since N64. Will it sell near what the original Wii sold? Hell no. The Wii U will be that secondary console that hardcore gamers purchase to go along with either the PS4 or the next Xbox.

#30 Posted by Marcsman (3192 posts) -

I think their short sighted vision has fucked them good. It was bound to happen.

#31 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

It will be the system you go to for Nintendo first party games as always. That usually works out okay enough, even though it won't take them to Wii (or even Xbox360/PS3) heights.

#32 Edited by BoFooQ (672 posts) -

"games for kids" and not like the podcast for children.

#33 Posted by Jay_Ray (1097 posts) -

I think the Wii U will be the last Nintendo home console. I don't think they can right this ship and their stock holders will yell for them to get out of hardware.

#34 Posted by RudeCubes (138 posts) -

The Wii U will be fine long-term. Short-term isn't so good, but eh, they still got all the Wii/DS money. Anybody thinking this is really the end of Nintendo or that they're going to go third-party is being over-sensational. They're not going to sit idly and let themselves get steamrolled.

#35 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

I think the Wii U will be the last Nintendo home console. I don't think they can right this ship and their stock holders will yell for them to get out of hardware.

Not likely. Look at the amount of money the Wii and DS made. Why would stockholders want to give that up for significantly lower profits from going purely software? If the Wii U ends up being a failure, which is far too early to say, it'll simply be seen as one mistake. It's not like their going from disaster to disaster to disaster like Sega were. Microsoft and Sony are far more likely to pushed out of the market before Nintendo are.

#36 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

I was going to buy a Wii U but I kinda rather put my money into the next PS (once a price drop happens) first.

#37 Posted by Jay_Ray (1097 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

Not likely. Look at the amount of money the Wii and DS made. Why would stockholders want to give that up for significantly lower profits from going purely software? If the Wii U ends up being a failure, which is far too early to say, it'll simply be seen as one mistake. It's not like their going from disaster to disaster to disaster like Sega were. Microsoft and Sony are far more likely to pushed out of the market before Nintendo are.

Because they spent all that money developing the Wii U. Nintendo's value as a company dropped incredibly far and they have nothing substantial in their war chest. Right now they are a $1.5 billion, which is significantly lower then Activision or EA and with the IP Nintendo has they should at least be equal to the $5 billion EA is valued at.

#38 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

I was going to buy a Wii U but I kinda rather put my money into the next PS (once a price drop happens) first.

Just the exact opposite in my case. The PS4 is just "more of the same". If I want sheer raw power and graphics, I got my PC. The Wii U has the potential to deliver more unique gaming experiences, IMO.

#39 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Just the exact opposite in my case. The PS4 is just "more of the same". If I want sheer raw power and graphics, I got my PC. The Wii U has the potential to deliver more unique gaming experiences, IMO.

I have my PC too but Sony has always kept me interested by their exclusives. I'm waiting till the first price drop cuz by then I'll be sure if I want that thing or not and it will be a lot clearer on just how many of those third party games will make a smooth transition over to PC.

#40 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Wii U will continue to be a Nintendo console. Make of that what you will.

#41 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2219 posts) -

For me it's all about the exclusive games that appear on the Wii U so hopefully when E3 hits there will be some strong first party games announced as well as 3rd party exclusives. If they can offer all that then their chances won't be hurt.

#42 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

I feel like the Wii U is boned.