#1 Posted by thisguyrich (88 posts) -

Sometimes I think about this. This is one of those times.

What do you think will happen to the site when the GB Crew Retires? Will they retire the site too? Or will they gradually introduce replacement staff? Will they even last that long?

It's kind of a unique problem. In comparison, sites like Gamespot or Ign don't rely as heavily on personality; for them replacing staff will never be the same kind of problem.

So what do you wager will happen?

#2 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

Don't worry, I'm sure the Earth will probably be destroyed by an asteroid or solar flare or something well before then.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.

#4 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

They are all replicants

#5 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -

I get the feeling Jeff will die before he retires willingly from Giantbomb.

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

We'll all be dead by then fit sure.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

For*

#8 Posted by Onkel_Apan (56 posts) -
#9 Edited by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

Giant Bomb will probably gain new staff over time. But retirement for any of the current guys is 30+ years out (I'm assuming most of the staff is less than 40, and that the US social security system and stock market do not fail or have a great windfall ever), so I don't think its worth worrying about right now.

#10 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

Don't worry, I'm sure the Earth will probably be destroyed by an asteroid or solar flare or something well before then.

Well before then? Try next month.

#11 Posted by thisguyrich (88 posts) -

@Zekhariah:

I'm not worried. More like legitimately curious.

#12 Posted by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

I'm more worried about what will happen to my stuff when the andromeda galaxy collides with the milky way.

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I don't care. I'll still re-sub.

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4462 posts) -

What are they going to do when they retire? Play games. They live this stuff. It's more than a job to them. They'll be doing this till they die, like Roger Ebert, whether they are paid to or not.

#15 Posted by gla55jAw (2697 posts) -

Drew has already been replaced by a non-blinking, robot, doppelganger. Eventually that will be the entire crew.

#16 Posted by BisonHero (7063 posts) -

Websites come and go. If the GB brand is strong enough, CBSi might keep it around with different staff, but when the staff leaves to pursue other jobs (writers rarely stay at one publication for 20-30 years) or to retire entirely, CBSi could just as easily close down GB since it is so personality driven. Seriously, think back to like 2000 or 2001, and how few of the gaming sites of those years are still relevant, compared to the sites that have gotten really big in the past 5 or 6 years,

#17 Posted by mpgeist (643 posts) -

They'll probably be PR shills at some developer before they retire. Like every other gaming editor.

#18 Posted by probablytuna (3829 posts) -

They will be replaced by 5 A.I. systems monitoring the entire site and the transition will be so seamless and behind-the-scenes we wouldn't even notice that the original founders are gone.

#19 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Eh I think they can still carry it for another 5-10 years (probably closer to 5); Jeff can perform all sorts of random roles at CBS and Ryan Davis is a PR mastermind.

#20 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I will frequent gamebomb.ru.

#21 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

A lot of people are missing the point of the question.

This isn't a question of whether or not they'll retire "soon." This is a question of what happens after their inevitable retirement/death?

@Christoffer said:

I'm more worried about what will happen to my stuff when the andromeda galaxy collides with the milky way.

Probably nothing.

#22 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

THE RISE OF DARTH KESSLER WILL BE COMPLETE!

#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I'm sure that when they are ready to go they will start grooming their replacements half a year to a year in advance.

#24 Posted by BisonHero (7063 posts) -
@TeflonBilly

Is it really weird that I want Kessler to become Gerstmann's protégé, Batman and Robin style?
#25 Posted by believer258 (12206 posts) -

One of two things:

1) Replacements will be found and the GB brand will carry on under different personalities.

2) Giantbomb will simply cease to exist.

Either way, I don't really think this site is going anywhere anytime soon. I think Jeff and Co. value it far too much to let it go anywhere for a long time.

#26 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

Then we will rule the place! Mwahahahahah!!!

Mwahahaha!!!!!!

So seriously that's gonna be the end of the world D:

#27 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@TeflonBilly

Is it really weird that I want Kessler to become Gerstmann's protégé, Batman and Robin style?

I was thinking more him killing Ryan after getting yelled at one time too many and showing up in the office the next day wearing Ryan's skin and acting like nothing's amiss.

I miss the interns :(

#28 Posted by Catarrhal (860 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

They will be replaced by 5 A.I. systems monitoring the entire site and the transition will be so seamless and behind-the-scenes we wouldn't even notice that the original founders are gone.

You could probably get a job working for Kojima with that crazy shit.

#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@TeflonBilly

Make that Batman and Batgirl and will take business.

#30 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (142 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

I will frequent gamebomb.ru.

#31 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

Tears in the rain.

#32 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Somebody will make a thread about how the Giantbomb before retirement was better than the Giantbomb after the retirement. Also somebody will probably blame Patrick Klepek.

#33 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

NEVER!

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (15163 posts) -

What happens? The LOC finally goes all NWO and we take over finally getting the wrestling wiki site we so deserve.