#1 Posted by xyzygy (9936 posts) -

There are so many threads (and have been for a while) about people suggesting Game X for an endurance run. As someone pointed out in the newest thread, it's just people coming on here and asking for some of their favourite games to be endurance runs. But there obviously needs to be more to it than that. So what you think that is exactly?

To me, there is:

- Length: The game needs to be somewhat long and/or have stuff to do on the side. All 3 of the endurance runs so far showed this, Deadly Premonition is definitely a longer TPS game than usual and the others are RPGs.

- Obscurity: The game shouldn't be "mainstream" per se. The reason being, many people would have already played it and the runs (ew) wouldn't get much views. Chrono Trigger avoided this by simply being an old game.

- Weirdness/Humor factor: I don't even have to say anything about DP and Persona on this point, but Chrono Trigger, being an old style RPG, definitely was off center with its characters and made for some good moments to make fun of the stupid and dumb things the characters would (intentionally or unintentionally) say. I've heard Lost Odyssey mentioned before but that game completely lacks humour in lieu of mature, serious tones.

With that being said, I have no idea what they should do next. I feel like maybe another RPG would be overkill, but at the same time what other games are there that has the length that they couldn't finish in a few episodes? I know Alan Wake (which someone recently mentioned) is quite long, but it doesn't fit the other categories. Sure it's an awesome game but it's not ER worthy.

So that's got me thinking... are they strictly bound to RPGs and the strange Japanese humor they bring with them? DP seemed like a massive exception to the RPG rule because of its length.

(PS I vote for one of the recent Tales games, like Vesperia or Graces f :P )

#2 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

It has to be all about the story being great with great characters, and it has to be a game that no one asks them to play.

#3 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Whatever weird game the guys want to try out that they don't have time to play in their normally daily lives. I am sure the guys have stated its just what ever game they feel is deserving there is no criterium.

#4 Posted by grayfox1210 (199 posts) -

I think it has to be a game that people really haven't heard much about. Before Giantbomb got their hands on it, no one knew what Deadly Premonition was except that it was 20 bucks on day one. I think the game has to be either super Obscure, just plain bad but a certain charm to it, or a combination of both. Binary Domain would be a decent candidate, but somewhat boring to watch because of all the shooting. I say do a Cards Against Humanity Tournament of Champions. Make some interesting rules maybe? Have certain things a loser would have to do that would be hilarious? This time, the stakes have never been higher.

#5 Posted by Beforet (2915 posts) -

Countless users bitching about every little thing they do.

#6 Edited by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

@Beforet said:

Countless users bitching about every little thing they do.

This.

But seriously, the most important thing is they have to be into it. If it's a game they're genuinely interested in doing an endurance run for then the other factors will come.

Edit - I feel dirty for posting in one of these threads.

#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

Beef jerky.

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -

I think it has been established how perfectly well the Yakuza games fit the criteria, but I doubt we'll ever see one because they're too hard to get into, and start off painfully slowly.

#9 Edited by Sanj (2364 posts) -

If you're trying to determine the criteria that the Bombcrew use when deciding Endurance Run games, I'm pretty sure there is none. When they "feel" that the game is right, that's when it'll happen. I don't think there is any real discernible pattern in length, obscurity etc that they're trying to follow.

#10 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

It needs to be Persona 4.

The first ER is the only one worth (re)watching, if you ask me.

#11 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -

A game that they want to play for an Endurance Run.

#12 Posted by Carryboy (640 posts) -

Vinny plus game.

#13 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

A strong story line.

#14 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

Vinny, Jeff and a game with VO.

#15 Posted by Grilledcheez (3945 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the main criteria is a game they're interested in, and either normally wouldn't play or don't have the time to play.

#16 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

I think it has been established how perfectly well the Yakuza games fit the criteria, but I doubt we'll ever see one because they're too hard to get into, and start off painfully slowly.

Only if they have a strategy to deal with all scenes where the game more or less turns into a unnarrated visual novel. Else you just end up as the Yakuza 4 Quick Look, which wasn't pretty.

#17 Posted by FinalDasa (1589 posts) -

When threads like this never get created.

#18 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

Something they have not played. Something that is heavy on the story and characterization. Something that will last a while.

#19 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

The Phantasmagoria one is the only one I haven't found to be boring, and the only one with an interesting game. So I guess more games like that?

#20 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

2 or more staff members want to play a game and they play it, simple

#21 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@xyzygy: Isn't Alan wake 7 hours long?

Also everything you said seems about spot on. It needs to be long, weird, and not huge with a lot of memorable characters and events.

I was thinking it would be cool to see maybe the entire MGS series, the Yakuza games, even Valkyria Chronices or the Mother games. Each have their share of zany characters and moments along with heartfelt charm and moments that have a serious tone.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@MikkaQ said:

Only if they have a strategy to deal with all scenes where the game more or less turns into a unnarrated visual novel. Else you just end up as the Yakuza 4 Quick Look, which wasn't pretty.

Yep, it's pretty heavy on that especially around the beginnings and ends of the games. But not all of Persona 4 was voiced, and it still worked for the most part.

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4106 posts) -

@grayfox1210 said:

Before Giantbomb got their hands on it, no one knew what Deadly Premonition was except that it was 20 bucks on day one.

This isn't true at all (unless you live in some sort of Giant Bomb bubble). G4 had extensive coverage of the game (Trick Klepek sure loves horror games) and Shane Bettenhausen was the marketing guy for it. Destructoid gave it a 10 while IGN gave it a 2. Reviews ranging so wildly like that got people talking about about the content of the game well before GB played it.

#24 Posted by xyzygy (9936 posts) -

@Nottle: Nooo. There is no timer in the game but from my estimation I took between 17-20 hours on my first playthrough, on normal, not collecting all the manuscripts. I did that on my second playthrough on Nightmare.

I suppose if you super rush through the game you could get through it in 7 hours but it's definitely one of the longest shooters I've ever played, if the the longest.

#25 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@xyzygy: I never rush through games and I remember it being short like Remedy's other games Max Payne 1 and 2. There were six chapters each being an hour or 2 long and I remember wanting a bit more because it was really good. But I never did too much thermos and manuscript collecting.

#26 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Final Fantasy 10

#27 Edited by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
#28 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@mosespippy said:

@grayfox1210 said:

Before Giantbomb got their hands on it, no one knew what Deadly Premonition was except that it was 20 bucks on day one.

This isn't true at all (unless you live in some sort of Giant Bomb bubble). G4 had extensive coverage of the game (Trick Klepek sure loves horror games) and Shane Bettenhausen was the marketing guy for it. Destructoid gave it a 10 while IGN gave it a 2. Reviews ranging so wildly like that got people talking about about the content of the game well before GB played it.

G4 had coverage after the ER had started, but yeah, Destructoid's review is where it got known.
#29 Posted by mrcraggle (1894 posts) -

I think it has to be something that the group has interest in playing in their own time but wouldn't cover normally which is what happened with P4. DP was kind of like they had an interest in it but there was just far too much bitching about playing it from Ryan and Brad so I gave up on that one about 6 eps in and it just got boring watching the exact same stuff happen from both sides so I just stuck with Jeff and Vinny. I didn't watch the most recent one as I was away for a good chunk of it but I may go back and catch up with that at some point. At this point I don't think we'll get an endurance run as good as the first. It was something completely new and funny at the time but now people expect and demand too much.

#30 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Mad Japanese!

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -
  1. A game that they want to play.
  2. A game that they have not played already.
#32 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10852 posts) -

Structurally, DP is pretty similar to RPGs. You go around town, talk to people to get side quests, and go into what are effectively dungeons to progress the story (or find secret items). The main difference is that there's no leveling system.

@Dagbiker said:

1. A game that they want to play.
  2. A game that they have not played already.

Incorrect. Patrick said he played Chrono Trigger back in the day. He just didn't remember much about it.

#33 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Whatever the formula is, I want them to break it. Do a run of a game I can actually bare watching.

The joke of how bad Deadly Premonition was wore off after the first episode.

Chrono Trigger is a good game but watching an old JRPG is not my idea of fun.

Every single part of Persona 4 makes me want to vomit.

I stand by proposal of doing runs of short arcade-like games. That quick look of Bad Dudes played through the entire game and it was great. Basically, I want quicklooks where they playthrough the entirity of old, short games.

#34 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

I think it should probably be a video game. Probably not a fighting game.

#35 Edited by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

DP: The fun of that ER for me was their reaction to the crazy story of that game. 
CT: Agree with ya there. 
P4. You are a heretic.
#36 Posted by ElixirBronze (424 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

When threads like this never get created.

Just because they don't want us to beg for more endurance runs why shouldn't we be allowed to discuss them?

OT: I think the games they choose all being Japanese is acutally great, because they tend to skip covering those games otherwise.

Seeing them tackle JRPGs like strangers in a strange land is part of what makes them fun.

#37 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

I would say "Excellence."

#38 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1759 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Man, I would love to see that, but as someone else said, it ends up being pretty much any game they want to play and feels deserving. I get the impression that Chrono Trigger is a game Patrick really wanted to replay.

#39 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

Like most users have postulated, I also believe that an ER is a way to subsidize playing a game the GB squad missed.

#40 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

Like I said in the Alan Wake ER thread, the game has to be either horrible to play, long as fuck, or have a weird ass story/setting/characters.

#41 Posted by RedRoach (1190 posts) -

What people need to realize is that when they first started the Endurance Run, it was because Jeff and Vinny wanted to play that game, but they didn't have the time, so they played it at work. That's it, that's all it was. But because Deadly Premonition fit some of the criteria people have warped the original concept and set their expectations with it. Fact is, they're gonna play whatever game they want, and it'll probably because both of them will know that they would never play it otherwise, and that's it.

#42 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

@MysteriousBob said:

DP: The fun of that ER for me was their reaction to the crazy story of that game.
CT: Agree with ya there.
P4. You are a heretic.
Hey. Shut up.

No, he's just dead inside.

#43 Posted by CornBREDX (5046 posts) -

The only criteria- they have to do want to do it and play the game all the way thru.

#44 Posted by FierceDeity (358 posts) -

@digitalsea87 said:

It needs to be Persona 4. The first ER is the only one worth (re)watching, if you ask me.

This. While Deadly Premonition had its moments, the thing that made Persona 4 great for an endurance run was that Vinny and Jeff actually seemed to enjoy it.

Compare that to DP and Chrono Trigger, where you could tell at times that they were really forcing themselves to get through it. This is rather ironic, actually: the best games for endurance runs are those that require the least, well, "enduring".

Of course, there's also the Vinny Factor to consider.

#45 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

A hidden gem to the masses with a personality.

Which is why I didn't bother watching Chrono Trigger.

#46 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

It's just a game they want to play. Like, fuck.

How do people not get that.

#47 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

It's just a game they want to play. Like, fuck. How do people not get that.
#48 Edited by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

I'm just starting to watch the first one. Fucking funny as hell!

#49 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:

@EuanDewar said:

It's just a game they want to play. Like, fuck. How do people not get that.
#50 Posted by ddensel (371 posts) -

1. Vinny

2. Jeff

3. Video Game