#1 Posted by JBird (490 posts) -

Lately for some reason or other I've found myself thinking about the next gen consoles quite a lot . What excites me the most is not necessarily new games and new IP's. These come along every year or so without new consoles. What gets me really excited is looking at how much fun I'm having with current gen games and thinking about how they could be better!

Case in point is Far Cry 3. I'm loving it, only a few missions in but spent hours hunting and crafting and killing dudes around the island. I'm playing it on the PS3 and there is quite a bit of pop in, and sometimes things look a bit jank far off. It's amazing right now but this game with updated back end technology would be INSANE! Once I started thinking about that , as I played the game I couldn't stop myself from thinking about loads of things that would be amazing for a game like Far Cry 3 on the new consoles. Aside from removing pop in and texture stuff one such idea was if weather actually affected the environment, (streams and rivers forming in heavy rain, Snow that starts falling and builds up, sea storms).

Now I don't make games, nor am I interested in coding or the hardware in consoles. So I don't know if the leap from the PS3 to the PS4/next xbox will be as large as the leap from PS2-PS3. I don't care if my PS4 has a gigafusion drive or a technoswish box inside it. (i should probably go into hardware marketing with names like that), but those of you who do love that side of things. Do the rumours about next gen hardware suggest that my ideas could even be possible?!

At any rate what is it that excites you about the new consoles?

#2 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -

Just sounds like you want a PC.

#3 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

A PC??

#4 Posted by JBird (490 posts) -

Does sound that way right, but a PC is not on the cards for me. I'd want a really good one and don't have enough money/know how. I much prefer the plug and play console.

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

I'm thinking much the same actually!

I'm having so much fun with a lot of games in this gen and if you just think of the possibility of what a Saint's Row 4 or Borderlands 3 might have in store for us it's just silly to not want the new generation! Bigger areas, better gameplay and who knows what else right? I'm just thinking right now we're on the right track with some of the franchises in the business and more powerful consoles will only improve them.

#6 Posted by paulwade1984 (479 posts) -

I want a cpu that is dedicated to AI. please somebody fix AI. Oh, and make every game look as good as hitman absolution. And get rid of loading times.

#7 Posted by L44 (575 posts) -

The thing that excites me about having next gen is that it's something new.

#8 Posted by Shortbreadtom (864 posts) -

I'm looking forward to better ragdoll effects.

#9 Edited by DeF (4979 posts) -

@JBird said:

I don't care if my PS4 has a gigafusion drive or a technoswish box inside it.

Dude, technoswish >>>>> gigafusion. It's like 8.8 times as powerful. Makes way more grafixx than the gigafusion. It also beats 100%.

@haffy said:

Just sounds like you want a PC.

Pretty much what I thought when I read this lol :D

@paulwade1984 said:

I want a cpu that is dedicated to AI. please somebody fix AI. Oh, and make every game look as good as hitman absolution. And get rid of loading times.

The song you're singing came out in the 90s already. See where we are now. We'll still be singing that same song many years from now.

#10 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

I'm looking forward to have the experience I had in 2009 on PC, but on my consoles. And hopefully to them actually focusing the investment on designing for greater networking capacity (far more simultaneous players in a game) and more complexity (more audio, the capacity to handle more events on-screen at a time) and a better ability to customize your online experience (give me more control over the type of people I want to play with) . . . and hopefully invest less in netflix and built-in kinect. There's only so much room in the boxes, financially. The more they sink into including shit like that, the less they'll have to put toward meaningful hardware that will improve and extend gaming experiences.

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

That is not going to happen on next gen hardware, considering that it isn't really viable on current PC hardware (console will still not be more powerful than PC in the next cycle)

#12 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

@JBird said:

Does sound that way right, but a PC is not on the cards for me. I'd want a really good one and don't have enough money/know how. I much prefer the plug and play console.

When your fabled next gen console comes out i will be extremely suprised if it costs any less than the multiple upgradable "steambox's" available.

We won't know what the deal is till e3, but don't be suprised if microsoft and sony focus on angles which aren't focused around the hardware. Meanwhile in the next few years there will be that many attractive competitive prebuilt pc's being shipped you're head will spin.

#13 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

I'm excited to see what talented studios can do given they have a lot more power to play with.

#14 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I'm excited for the Oculus Rift more than next gen consoles at this point. I agree though more complex and dynamic open worlds catching on is going to be pretty cool too.

#15 Posted by ShatterShock (70 posts) -

Looking forward to the new IPs that will be started with the next generation, too many major games are coming with a number or subtitle at the end these days. Also it'll be great when the lowest common denominator goes up with the release of the new XBox and Playstation. Buy the best PC in the world, it won't amount to much as long as games are designed with the X-Box 360 in mind.

#16 Edited by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

im excited for the new generation of consoles so the gross PC elitism on GB will die down a bit. its a bit much these days.

#17 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I'm not really excited about anything as there has been no real information about what they will be. I will let ya know once E3 hits and in the year or two that follows when we start getting the exclusives. I just really hope these are 100% backwards compatible. I still got a ton of current gen stuff that I need to get through and if I can just plug a new box in the same place as my old one and still be able to play those older games is a huge selling point to me.

Ether way, they will just end up being boxes I mess around with maybe once every 4-6 months. I'm a PC guy because of MKB controls so unless these things launch with MKB support being mandatory for all devs releasing games on their platform I will never go back to having a console as my main place to game.

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

im excited for the new generation of consoles so the gross PC elitism on GB will die down a bit. its a bit much these days.

The main problem is that the current consoles have been around for so long, you can now build a decently powerful PC that can play most modern games on maxed out settings for fairly cheap, along with the fact that game prices are far lower on the PC. During the Steam/Holiday sales you could purchase the years entire library of big name games for the same price as it would to buy just two or three of them on a console (just check out the haul threads). Couple that with the fact that everything supports the 360 pad as standard.. and there's pretty much no reason to still be playing games on consoles at this point. Buy some HDMI cables and you can even have all of that running on your TV too, no bother.

The next-gen systems will likely change that, as upgrading your PC to run new games will go back to being prohibitively expensive for most, but at the moment, it's not so much "elitism" as it is common sense.

#19 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I'm having a hard time getting excited

I just can't shake this feeling that both Sony and Microsoft are going to focus more on how to get me to buy movies and music on my video game console than they are concerned about improving video games.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

The thing that excites me about new consoles is the fact that when I finally do buy into one, there will be a long while's worth of console exclusives suddenly available to me.

#21 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Clonedzero said:

The main problem is that the current consoles have been around for so long, you can now build a decently powerful PC that can play most modern games on maxed out settings for fairly cheap, along with the fact that game prices are far lower on the PC. During the Steam/Holiday sales you could purchase the years entire library of big name games for the same price as it would to buy just two or three of them on a console (just check out the haul threads). Couple that with the fact that everything supports the 360 pad as standard.. and there's pretty much no reason to still be playing games on consoles at this point. Buy some HDMI cables and you can even have all of that running on your TV too, no bother.

The next-gen systems will likely change that, as upgrading your PC to run new games will go back to being prohibitively expensive for most, but at the moment, it's not so much "elitism" as it is common sense.

well sure, it makes sense to be happy about a gaming PC now. but that doesn't mean people should ignore the next-gen consoles that are on the horizon. PC gaming will always be "hamstrung" by consoles. at least for the foreseeable future.

the same thing will happen in the next generation. its more profitable for everyone to draw the generations out for as long as possible. once the next gen consoles are out, PC gaming will take a dip and less people will be so heavily pro-PC.

#22 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

System interfaces that don't take an hour to load. Bigger hard drives on consoles. Less ads on the dashboard (For the 360 anyway).

#23 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
Any excuse to use this picture

I'm mostly looking forward to the next batch of IPs that will flood the market, With any luck there will be a few gems.

#24 Posted by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

I'm looking forward to the AAA games. I'm stoked for E3 this year

#25 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

The awesome PC that I will build due to all the cheaper hardware on PC that is released along side it.