#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

I have grown tired of Fps with regenerating health that make your character feel like a super soilder. so I am wondering what fps make you feel vulnerable. For me it would be swat 4 it one of the few game were I know that any encounter could kill me so I play this game more cautious than I would for something like Cod.

#2 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

so every FPS you've played since SWAT4 you have found easy. WOW im impressed. even with regen health i struggle sometimes.

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

play on hard difficulty and you'll always feel vulnerable.

#4 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Spec Ops: The Line, purely because you die wickedly fast on any difficulty.

Also, the story's pretty fucked up, so you may feel mentally vulnerable.

#5 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Mind, it was a different kind of vulnerability. And it isn't technically an FPS.

Certain characters threatening you with weaknesses that only you have AND TOTALLY NOT BULLSHITTING ABOUT IT sticks with me.

#6 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

@doobie: Its not that I find it easy, Its hard to explain what I mean by vulnerable. I will use Swat as my example again when I play that game I get a certain panic when I am opening a door or I hear shots

but in most fps except from a few when I get shot I dont really get the same felling.

#7 Posted by joemarch (25 posts) -

Half life, because for the majority of those games (except ep1) you're on your own, it's you against the world, and that makes you feel vulnerable

#8 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout 3/NV. You're definitely no superhero in those games. Also, I highly recommend you play on harder difficulties. Especially good for that is BioShock 1 on Survivor (also BioShock 2) which makes the game a whole lot more challenging and also scary when you're really really afraid to take on a Big Daddy.

@RPGee said:

that's a third person shooter, though.

#9 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

@DeF said:

@RPGee said:

In retrospect I realised this, but considering the main point of the game is that you and everyone else can die super easily, and that it makes you feel vulnerable on more levels than any other example in this thread so far, I stick by it.

But yes, forgive my goof. And go play Spec Ops: The Line if you haven't already, I believe it succeeds in what it was trying to accomplish with its storytelling.

#10 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Any when I run out of bullets.

#11 Posted by Grillbar (1832 posts) -

cod wow at highest dif' since its so fucking hard

#12 Posted by Commander_Crichton (156 posts) -

Far Cry 2 set on a higher difficulty, but me feeling vulnerable in that game might have more to do with the fact that I play it as if it were an open world stealth game.

The Brothers in Arms games are great at making the player character feel fragile, with brief exposure to enemy fire always leading to sure death.

#13 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I suppose JC is very fragile in Deus Ex, at least if you crank the difficulty up. You get shot in the head in Realistic, you're reloading your damn game.

Probably most of the main game, if you can't find many medpacks or medical robots. I think I went through all of Hong Kong with one leg blown off at the knee.

Falls apart at the end though, once you get regeneration. Then you're just a bionic god.

#15 Posted by ToTheNines (721 posts) -

Rainbow Six, and Rainbow Six 2: Rogue Spear.

#16 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -
#17 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

ARMA2. Nothing beats that game when it comes to FPS these days for me.

#18 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@RPGee said:

@DeF said:

@RPGee said:

In retrospect I realised this, but considering the main point of the game is that you and everyone else can die super easily, and that it makes you feel vulnerable on more levels than any other example in this thread so far, I stick by it.

But yes, forgive my goof. And go play Spec Ops: The Line if you haven't already, I believe it succeeds in what it was trying to accomplish with its storytelling.

It's one of the most important games in recent history. If it doesn't get the recognition it deserves in GOTY-season, I'll be extremely disappointed with the gaming press.

#19 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -
#20 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@Terramagi said:

@Akeldama said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth/61-18678/

Only for the first half of the game. Once you actually get a gun, it loses a lot of the fragility.

Totally disagree. CoC and games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R do not lose anything by giving you guns.

It basically turns the game from "oh shit, that guy saw me, FUCK FUCK FUCK BOLT THE DOOR OH LORD GO OUT THE WIND-FUCK THEY'RE SHOOTING FUCK!" to "I got a piece, shoot him in the goddamn face."

#21 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@Akeldama said:

@Terramagi said:

@Akeldama said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth/61-18678/

Only for the first half of the game. Once you actually get a gun, it loses a lot of the fragility.

Totally disagree. CoC and games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R do not lose anything by giving you guns.

It basically turns the game from "oh shit, that guy saw me, FUCK FUCK FUCK BOLT THE DOOR OH LORD GO OUT THE WIND-FUCK THEY'RE SHOOTING FUCK!" to "I got a piece, shoot him in the goddamn face."

I am increasingly suspecting you haven't played the games we are discussing. Those games are desperately bleak and the combat could not be more harsh and unforgiving. I have never felt powerful playing CoC or S.T.AL.K.E.R. This thread is all about games in the FPS genre that have made you feel weak or vulnerable or insecure in your abilities.

#22 Edited by isomeri (1275 posts) -
#23 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

You die after 1 or 2 hits in Operation Flashpoint: Red River and if you somehow survive you get a severe bleeding which can kill you if you don't patch it up.

#24 Posted by isomeri (1275 posts) -

@antikorper said:

You die after 1 or 2 hits in Operation Flashpoint: Red River and if you somehow survive you get a severe bleeding which can kill you if you don't patch it up.

Totally forgot about Operation Flashpoint. What a fantastic game that was!

#25 Posted by HH (610 posts) -

another vote for the first two Brothers in Arms games, they force you to really take care of your guys too. i got a serious rush from that game if i got through a mission with no casualties - all that yelling and indecision and cowering, until finally you open a crack in the enemy's defenses and sweep your men forward to take the last post.

whatever happened to that squad control gameplay? i was hoping Aliens Colonial Marines would incorporate it somehow, but no joy, just another shooter it seems.

#26 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

It's multiplayer, but Red Orchestra 2 is fucking insane.

#27 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Metro 2033. You run out if ammo constantly and you die pretty quickly.

#28 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Out* dumb mobile site.

#29 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5477 posts) -

Killzone 2 has some really good AI and the hardest boss in FPS history. Final Doom on Nightmare isn't very friendly though.