What franchise has the best story in your opinion?

• 138 results
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

For me it is Alan Wake. The gameplay might bore after a while, but the story is always superb. Even in American Nightmare they can pull off a believable and deep plot with all the repetition. The guys at Remedy are amazing.

Runner-ups: Atlus with Shin Megami Tensei and (late) Cavia with Nier. Atlus makes interesting plots to me, that deal with more than bare justification for the gameplay, while Cavia was awesome with its realization of the universe from Nier, even if we probably won't see more of it.

p.s. - writting in a tablet is slow and frustrating. I hate it!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

Shenmue.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Bioshock 1 has one of the tightest stories I've ever heard, i.e. there aren't many, if any, loose strings that I know of.

I can't really point to an overall series though. I guess TES has some really good lore if you want to dig into that stuff.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

uh... Final Fantasy if were talking about franchises as a whole.  Sure i don't like every game in the series but a few of them had some memorable stories.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By GeekDown

I think I would have to go with Bioshock. I really didn't care for the gameplay in the first one, but the writing is great. Minerva's Den is one of the best stories ever told in a game IMO. Alan Wake and Mass Effect are fantastic too.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By stonyman65

Metal Gear

Deus Ex

Resident Evil (as corny as it is, it's crazy)

Half Life

Edit: Max Payne. How could I forget that?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I put this both because I love the game's story, and because I feel like it classes up any thread.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Marz said:

uh... Final Fantasy if were talking about franchises as a whole. Sure i don't like every game in the series but a few of them had some memorable stories.

This would probably be my answer as well.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By mosespippy

I was thinking about Persona 4's spin off products the other day. The arcade game, the VITA remake, the anime and other merchandise would not exist if it weren't for the quality of the writing and character development in the original product. But that is a case for best writing, not best story.

For best story I will say Valkyria Chronicles. I guess it's easier to tell a good story when you put 3 or 4 scenes between each gameplay sequence.

eclectic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By eclectic

Marathon. Durandal is an antagonist with motivations that make sense, Leela isn't just a damsel in distress and Tycho is just plain crazy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

It's gotta be Metal Gear. It's insane, but I fucking love it unconditionally.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

I've played, so many damn games. I hate answering this kind of question because I always have a better answer later on.

On top of that, I'm more of a "journey" guy. I don't really care that much about the overall plot, as long as the meat of the game is atmospheric and fun.

To answer the question though... I'm a big sucker for a good crime story, so I would probably call out either the Mafia franchise or Max Payne...

Final Fantasy get a mention for the sheer amount of good stories the franchise contains.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By cutyoface

Deadly Premonition.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theodacourt

Half Life for me. That story feels authentically post-apocalyptic and I love that.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

The story in Metal Gear isn't good, but I love it and it's the best video games have got.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer

If we're talking about the story within the confines of a game's narrative then it has to be Metal Gear, but I prefer Mass Effect overall because of the richness of the lore behind the universe.

Also Final Fantasy.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portal. Best told. Best written. Makes best use of the interactive interactive medium. imo.

@Gabriel said:

The story in Metal Gear isn't good, but I love it and it's the best video games have got.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. Terrible writing, terrible voice acting, alot of the story-telling is just cut-scenes.

Like Call Of Duty it's "anti-game". It directly goes against the interactive aspect.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dabe

Metal Gear Solid 1 through 3 (with Metal Gear 1&2 included) are definitely up there. The second one in particular for deconstructing the first in a post-post-modernist manner towards the end...truly special moment in storytelling there (whether games or otherwise). Shame 4 tries and fails at doing what 2 succinctly accomplished.

Dreamfall & The Longest Journey have an enjoyable lore, but infuriating ending/cliffhanger!

Half Life (the way the second actually connects to the first & the pre-text/subtext conveyed) is excellent also.

Most other games are walking cliches story-wise (or their greatness comes from the characters/interaction & immersion a la Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition)...ah video games...

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabe said:

Metal Gear Solid 1 through 3 (with Metal Gear 1&2 included) are definitely up there. The second one in particular for deconstructing the first in a post-post-modernist manner towards the end...truly special moment in storytelling there (whether games or otherwise). Shame 4 tries and fails at doing what 2 succinctly accomplished.

Dreamfall & The Longest Journey have an enjoyable lore, but infuriating ending/cliffhanger!

Half Life (the way the second actually connects to the first & the pre-text/subtext conveyed) is excellent also.

Most other games are walking cliches story-wise (or their greatness comes from the characters/interaction & immersion a la Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition)...ah video games...

I dont see how Metal Gear Solid or Halflife are not cliche. Metal Gear Solid, you have Rambo VS a bunch of comic book villains. In Halflife you shoot aliens from another dimension.

I agree about Halflife being good though, I wouldn't not call it cliche though. Halflife 2 is basically "1984" and "war of the worlds".

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MideonNViscera

Mass Effect. Never really played Metal Gear and Half-Life is pretty boring.

Final Fantasy doesn't really count because it's not a franchise wide story, it's a game or two then a reboot. Plus, like half of them have shitty stories haha

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Max Payne (Sam Lake, dearest of all my friends.)

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jacdg

The, The Witcher series, love the storylines and the world around it.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By ToxicFruit

@mosespippy said:

For best story I will say Valkyria Chronicles. I guess it's easier to tell a good story when you put 3 or 4 scenes between each gameplay sequence.

If you enjoy the story in that you should check out the VC anime, they really focus on the story in that and kinda make it better in some spots, especially if you have played the game.

That is if that is your thing

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dabe

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I'd somewhat agree with Half Life, as it's strength for me comes in the diegetic storytelling more than the actual written script.

But Kojima went full retard in MGS2 -- effectively critiquing his own previous work and using mimicry to de-construct why he could never replicate the experience. That beats the batshit nonsense that crops up from time to time (see A LOT!). As far as storytelling goes -- removing plot as much as one can -- it's bordering genius for me.

Also, any plot can be reduced to what you describe and as with anything, the nuances make it less cliche (when I refer to a cliche I'd talk more about specific points/story beats rather than the whole).

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mosespippy

@Tfruit said:

@mosespippy said:

If you enjoy the story in that you should check out the VC anime, they really focus on the story in that and kinda make it better in some spots, especially if you have played the game.

I haven't checked out the anime (I don't really watch anything other than sports) but I have played VC2 in Japanese and English and played VC3 in Japanese. Do you know how the anime compares to them? It seems like Valkyria Chronicles writing is hit or miss with the original being great the second being garbage and the third (from my limited understanding of events) possibly going either way.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By ToxicFruit

@mosespippy said:

@Tfruit said:

@mosespippy said:

I haven't checked out the anime (I don't really watch anything other than sports) but I have played VC2 in Japanese and English and played VC3 in Japanese. Do you know how the anime compares to them? It seems like Valkyria Chronicles writing is hit or miss with the original being great the second being garbage and the third (from my limited understanding of events) possibly going either way.

I sadly have not played 2 and 3 so i don't really know how it compares to them but i have heard that people have mixed feelings on those games.

The anime is really just the story of the first games but going a little deeper into some events and fleshing out some minor characters

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many for me, can't really pick.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel
@TaliciaDragonsong
Many for me, can't really pick.
Same here. It's hard to narrow down.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Animasta

Franchise? I guess I'd say Shin Megami Tensei

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chop

Hrmm...Killer 7, I guess. Not a franchise, but whatever.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Mass Effect by far.

mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrmanga

I really like Metal Gears story but i know its sort off dumb.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By frankfartmouth

I'd say Final Fantasy because its games tend to have completely defined, linear stories with clear arcs and strong (albeit sometimes annoying) central characters. Mass Effect builds a great universe--a great background for a story. But as evidenced by the controversy surrounding its ending, its non-linear, choose-your-own-adventure style, as great as it is, can actually make the story less enjoyable in some ways. Same type of thing with Elder Scrolls. Metal Gear would be an also-ran for me. Bioshock's a little different because it has more of a setting than a story. The main character is more or less a cipher used just to deliver the action.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By beforet

Drakengard/Nier

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The Legacy of Kain.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By plaintomato

I agree with a lot of the comments in here: MGS, FF, Half-Life, Bioshock...but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Rockstar's stuff. San Andreas, GTAIV, LA Noire...the stories are unrelated to each other so maybe they don't qualify as a franchise story, but they are great stories.

As far as the best continuously related story over the course of a whole franchise -

The Metal Gear games and the Half-Life/Portal universe.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karl_Boss

Metal Gear Solid

Atlus is not a franchise its a company

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By jakkblades

Planescape Torment, Bioshock, or KOTOR. I find many Japanese stories, when they are soaked in anime style and pitched high with screaming voice actors, very inaccessible and uninviting.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TehFlan

Pacman.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlashDance

I would say Planescape : Torment but that's just one game...

Ah fuck it, that's my pick.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good pick.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By jay_ray

The Uncharted series has the best acting. Red Dead Redemption is probably the best realized world. Mass Effect 1 has the best plot.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By TheHT

I'm with you on Alan Wake. Great story.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jay_Ray said:

The Uncharted series has the best acting. Red Dead Redemption is probably the best realized world. Mass Effect 1 has the best plot.

Actually you just reminded me (of a game with vastly superior voice acting to Uncharted).... Legacy Of Kain. It has a fanastic and fairly complicated story. Defiance has an extreamly satisfying closure. Unlike another game.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Bioshock, Shin Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Xenogears, Suikoden

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Berserk007

Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Fallout, Elder Scrolls.......those would be most of the top contenders. For overall series I would say Elder Scrolls...it would pretty much have to be right? If it were a single game in a series I would say Red Dead Redemption by far. Granted it qualifies only by technicality, but as far as story there is really something to that game.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nottle

@dabe said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I'd somewhat agree with Half Life, as it's strength for me comes in the diegetic storytelling more than the actual written script.

But Kojima went full retard in MGS2 -- effectively critiquing his own previous work and using mimicry to de-construct why he could never replicate the experience. That beats the batshit nonsense that crops up from time to time (see A LOT!). As far as storytelling goes -- removing plot as much as one can -- it's bordering genius for me.

Also, any plot can be reduced to what you describe and as with anything, the nuances make it less cliche (when I refer to a cliche I'd talk more about specific points/story beats rather than the whole).

I agree with Metal Gear Solid. While it can seem a bit comic booky or like an 80's action movie, at its core the MGS games are deconstructing the action heros we see in games, books, comics and movies. Snake, Big Boss and Raiden aren't glorious heroes, their lives are filled with pain and loneliness because they are this hired guns. I have a problem with the nanomachines in MGS4, but over all the entire series has good characters, moments and an underlying themes. And if anyone think the Bioshock would you kindly part is unique play MGS2 again. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreDeconstructionJust look at the video game section of that page.

Also Mother 3 has a decent story it reminds me if a Miyuzaki film.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nottle said:

their lives are filled with pain and loneliness because they are this hired guns.

Thats the archetype lone-samurai. It's very cliche and absolutely typical of Japan.

The melodramatic sorrow is also fairly typical of Japan. To be honest I think this is why Metal Gear Solid appeals to alot of people. It's depressing and self-important.

@Nottle said:

And if anyone think the Bioshock would you kindly part is unique play MGS2 again.

This is taken from System Shock 2 which pre-dated both. For all the mumbo jumbo about conditioning it basically amounts to a bad guy revealing themself. Which the original Metal Gear Solid also done.

The idea existed long before it was introduced into a video game.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#49  Edited By ADAMWD

Bioshock, Half-Life, Mass Effect, Deadly Premonition. Basically all the obvious choices.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai

@believer258 said:

Bioshock 1 has one of the tightest stories I've ever heard, i.e. there aren't many, if any, loose strings that I know of.

I can't really point to an overall series though. I guess TES has some really good lore if you want to dig into that stuff.

While I'm not going argue with you about the greatness of the Bioshock game, I would like to mention that Bioshock was really a remake of System Shock 2.

On topic...To me the franchise the has the best story is the Legacy of Kain series.