• 142 results
Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

There's nothing worse than too much free time in a gaming release gap. Typically i can entertain myself with Bad Company 2, but that gets old pretty quickly. When I'm bored, I end up thinking of what appear like a lot of good ideas. "Oh yeah, I'll finally get into this old game". However, it never comes into fruition. Last weekend I turned on Chrono Trigger for the first time, ever. I thought I would delve into my pile of shame. Unfortunately, i think that game is a product of its time. I can't enjoy it, for the game is too slow and is riddled with JRPG cliche. Sometimes i even scope the Marketplace or even Amazon.com just looking for something cheap I may have missed out on that also sounds enticing to play. Then I just go back to Bad Company 2. 

Right now I'm casually going through the Wii version of Resident Evil 4. Since Portal 2 releases next week, I was thinking about running through the original one more time. I guess I'm just searching for a good "go-to" game. Does Tiger Woods sound good? When I don't have much to play I also end up staring at my friends list, looking at what other people are playing. Typically between releases everyone plays BLOPS, which doesn't sound very fun. 

I ask you, community. What do you play when bored? I also need a good suggestions for a go-to game. 
#1 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

There's nothing worse than too much free time in a gaming release gap. Typically i can entertain myself with Bad Company 2, but that gets old pretty quickly. When I'm bored, I end up thinking of what appear like a lot of good ideas. "Oh yeah, I'll finally get into this old game". However, it never comes into fruition. Last weekend I turned on Chrono Trigger for the first time, ever. I thought I would delve into my pile of shame. Unfortunately, i think that game is a product of its time. I can't enjoy it, for the game is too slow and is riddled with JRPG cliche. Sometimes i even scope the Marketplace or even Amazon.com just looking for something cheap I may have missed out on that also sounds enticing to play. Then I just go back to Bad Company 2. 

Right now I'm casually going through the Wii version of Resident Evil 4. Since Portal 2 releases next week, I was thinking about running through the original one more time. I guess I'm just searching for a good "go-to" game. Does Tiger Woods sound good? When I don't have much to play I also end up staring at my friends list, looking at what other people are playing. Typically between releases everyone plays BLOPS, which doesn't sound very fun. 

I ask you, community. What do you play when bored? I also need a good suggestions for a go-to game. 
#2 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

Team Fortress 2

#3 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
#4 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Trials 2 or Europa Universalis 3.

#5 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

Usually a puzzle game(bejeweled, puzzle quest), it's different from my normal routine of rpg,fps, strategy games i play a majority of the time and kills time while i think of something else to accomplish.

#6 Posted by TwoLines (2839 posts) -

Yeap, Dungeon Keeper or other sim games.

Also DOOM.
#7 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Rock Band, usually.

#8 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Depends on how much time I have, if plenty of time or just stuck with other games I'll load up torchlight & chip away at some of the achievements that take forever to get or try speedruns/hardcore mode, last time with hardcore mode I got all the way to the end temple levels only to get stuck in a corner & died :(. At least after playing the game enough, best way to do this is just use mage & load him up with aggressive minions & summon spells.

Also fi I have older pc games that I'm replaying after a huge gap in playing it originally (unreal, blood omen2, no one lives forever 1 or 2, clive barker undying, redneck rampage rides again) I might take on those depending on what's installed on the pc.

#9 Posted by CaLe (4050 posts) -

Minecraft recently. Good podcast listening game.

#10 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

If I'm on my PC, Elder Scrolls Oblivion.  If I'm on my console, generally some "arcade" title like Geometry Wars or Everyday Shooter.  It depends on how much time I have to kill.  If I have not time limit, I'll play an actual game from my collection of "need-to-play" games or watch a movie/TV series. 

I usually don't get bored because there is always something to do, but sometimes I am not sure what I want to do and so I need a game to occupy my brain until I figure it out. 
#11 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

When I have nothing to play or just don't feel like investing time into a campaign I just play Halo matchmaking. The nice thing about it is that I can turn the sound down and listen to a podcast.

#12 Posted by A_Dog (738 posts) -

FIFA 11. 

#13 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -

Geometry Wars. I'm trying to crack the achievement for hitting 1mil without dying. It's tough, if I start doing well I get all excited that it might actually be the time that I do it, but then my excitement usually causes me to screw up. To counter this I put a video or some music on in the background and just play the game on autopilot. I find it very therapeutic. 

#14 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (417 posts) -

If I'm not sure what I want to do street fighter is my go to. I'm awful at it but I can listen to music or a podcast as I try to get better.

#15 Posted by mcwingstar (76 posts) -

If I'm after relatively mindless action, Civ 5 on a not-too-hard setting or Assassins Creed Brotherhood Online.

If I'm in denial about procrastination: Spider Solitaire. 

#16 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

Guild Wars, i used to play it a lot, but now i only touch it to prevent myself from going suicidal.

#17 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Honestly, Bejeweled Twist. That game is amazing and time just flies by when you're playing it ^^

#18 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Doom.

#19 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

I go between NBA 2K11 and Rock Band 3 a lot.

I recommend finding a sport that you like and buying a game for it. Almost all sports games have awesome career modes these days where you take a character from the ground to superstar level. Those modes are great to play over long periods of time.
#20 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Lumines or Peggle

#21 Posted by PaulRevere (209 posts) -
#22 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Call of Duty Black Ops, 42 All Time Classics, Guitar Hero
#23 Posted by SMTDante89 (2581 posts) -

Usually a rhythm game, usually Rock Band 3, but I just recently purchased DJ Hero 2 (GameStop's Power Saver Sale, got the game+turntable for only $30)

#24 Posted by Jeust (10854 posts) -

I generally play:

• Alan Wake
  • Force Unleashed
  • Nier
  • Virtua Striker 3
#25 Posted by demonbear (1877 posts) -

WoW

#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Counter-Strike, but recently I switched to LoL. You need friends for that one though. Soloing LoL is kind of sad.

#27 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Civ 5 or Starcraft 2 on the PC.

And inexplicably Ninja Storm 2 on console..... still not entirely sure why I love that game so much (not really a big Naruto fan)

#28 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -
#29 Posted by lodar011 (113 posts) -

Usually I'll go back and try to find a game that I missed when it was first released. Kind of like I'm doing now with Enslaved and Vanquish until Portal 2 comes out.

#30 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

Usually I play a round or two of Road Rage in Burnout 3 or throw on Super Stardust HD for a few rounds of punishment in Endless Mode. Both are real good for short burst gaming.

#31 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -

When I get bored I listen to the Bombcast and play inFamous, or Super Street Fighter 4.  Both are games I can mindlessly play and sink some hours into (either by collecting shards, or practicing Abel vs Ibuki matches) and that usually holds me over.

#32 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Counter Strike 1.6

#33 Posted by spankingaddict (2736 posts) -

I usually go back and find a old classic game that I unfortunately missed. That seems to work really well for me.

Right now that old game is Oddworld: Abe's Exodus...Great game

#34 Edited by Skald (4370 posts) -
#35 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Don't really have a go to game any more. Used to be Bad Company 2, but I'm just getting bored with playing the same dam maps all the time, because people only seem to want to play the same 3-4 maps over and over and over.

Recently I have been playing some Blood Bowl since a friend bought it for me on Steam when it was on sale the other day. Turns out he hates it and I like it. Kind of anyway. I still can't make heads or tails of the rules of the dam game, but it's still fun to start it up and screw around for a bit.
#36 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

MvC 3 or I go onto the marketplace and make terrible decisions

#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

nothing entertains me when im hardcore bored ..

#38 Edited by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

SSFIV until I get mad and break another controller.

Or MW2. 
#39 Edited by ProfessorEss (7513 posts) -

Hmmm....

Geometry Wars
PacMan CE DX
Hexic
Dig Dug
Just Cause 2
PixelJunk Monsters
Aegis Wing
and Tetris.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Pretty much whatever I want. Do you know how many games I still need to play? Tons.

#41 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

You are insane when it comes to Chrono Trigger. That game is probably the most progressive jrpg of its time. It has no random battles, no needless grinding, and a story that isn't convoluted beyond belief. I guess there are different standards when it comes to jrpg cliches, but I've played CT over 10th times (thanks to the new game plus) and would probably do it again if I had time.

#42 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

I'm always slightly bored when I play games, unless it's an intense match of CoD or SSBB.

#43 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

If I'm bored I usually don't even play games. Can't really associate the two.

#44 Edited by SaNdMuNkEy (38 posts) -

Miner Dig Deep's my 'boredom' game, it's nice and simple so I can listen to music and stuff at the same time

#45 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

I go through old stuff, going through Mass Effect 1 & 2 again at the moment, stick on Black Ops MP for a bit or a quick Left 4 Dead 2 campaign. Once Portal 2 comes out and Brink tho....

#46 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

Minecraft or Chime. Chime is probably the cleanest game I've ever played on PC. the boot up and down are instantaneous. works wonders when it comes to playing for a bit because i'm bored!

#47 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6387 posts) -

I've got a few I keep installed or around.  My usual suspects are pretty much Worms, Tiger Woods, and Forza, though now that I've got Internet again, I suspect some Halo might be in the mix as well.  They're all pretty fantastic at helping me beat boredom.

#48 Edited by Marcsman (3286 posts) -

Rock Band 3 or Tetris

And on those really bad hangover days Civilization IV

#49 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i usually play minecraft when i'm bored. i have a mod, too many items, it gives you just about every item in the game. i end up building stuff. i have a world called TNT, in which i just use TNT to blow the ground up. it's pretty fun to do that.

#50 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

TF2