• 71 results
Posted by Time_Lord (717 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: What game do you think has had the worst launch (162 votes)

SimCity 50%
Diablo 3 20%
Other (Explain) 30%

Hello all with the SimCity launch being so bad causing me to cancel my pre order. It got me thinking what other games have had bad launches and how long did it take to fix them. Now as a result of this complete disaster I will not be buying EA products in the future.

#51 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@ravenlight said:

@video_game_king said:

The Katawa Shoujo lunch was particularly embarrassing, especially given how clumsy Yuuko was.

Shut up shut up shut up! Yuuko is an angel! She just needs encouragement!

She needs to get back together with Kenji. You know we'd all play that game.

I'm sure you've already seen this, but there's already a Katawa Shoujo 2, and the only canonical ending is the one where Hisao falls off the damn roof and the tragic events that follow.

#52 Edited by ahgunsillyo (450 posts) -

I'd have to say that Xenoblade Chronicles had the worst launch. It took a year or so of petitioning just to get it released in the US, and when it finally was brought over here, it was only sold at GameStop.

No, I'm not actually serious about that being my choice. Honestly, I'm slightly baffled at how people still seem to be surprised that there are problems with the Sim City launch, given how problematic and frustrating the Diablo IIIlaunch ended up being. And yes, EA deactivated some features in order to help ease the server madness, but unless I'm mistaken, it took them a pretty long time to get out the Real Money Auction House, and they finally patched in a PvP mode only a couple months ago. Both of these features seemed to be toted as major features in the game (again, unless I'm mistaken; my memory of pre-launch Diablo III marketing/hype isn't exactly spotless), and yet they took a really long time to implement these features because they apparently simply weren't ready when the game initially launched.

Now, I didn't buy Half-Life 2 at launch, nor did I really pay attention to PC games very much at that point, but considering that it is solely a single-player game that lacked any sort of multiplayer component and yet managed to have a problematic launch because of issues with the then-infant Steam service, I'd have to say that that sounds like a pretty terrible launch.

#53 Edited by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

Fire Emblem Awakening had a pretty fucking annoying launch. I preordered that game a month in advance, paid for 1-day shipping, and didn't get it for a week after release. With Sim City even though there have been some server issues I've still managed to put 12 hours in.

Also Little Big Planet.

#54 Posted by Svenzon (720 posts) -

Also Little Big Planet.

Damn, I had forgotten about that one! I took my copy home early from work. Just as I was about to unwrap it and start playing, my boss sends me a text.
"You gotta bring the game back ASAP. All copies have been recalled by Sony because of Muslim chanting on the soundtrack."
I thought he was kidding, but apparently not. We even had to send promo copies back. When the game was finally back on store shelves I had pretty much lost interest in playing it.

And yeah, Half-Life 2's launch was a complete disaster. My cousin and I sat there for hours trying to activate his copy. Eventually we just gave up and played something else instead. I got my own copy about 3 months after that and even then it didn't work straight away.

#55 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Stronghold 3.

Also you fuckers are forgetting how bad WoW was at launch.

#56 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

SOCOM 4, smack dab in the middle of the PSN blackout that pretty much killed whatever sales potential the game could have had.

#57 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

I couldn't play Half Life 2 for a full year because my gaming PC wasn't hooked up to the Internet. I assume a lot of people had the same problem in 2004.

#58 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I'd have to say that Xenoblade Chronicles had the worst launch. It took a year or so of petitioning just to get it released in the US, and when it finally was brought over here, it was only sold at GameStop.

No, I'm not actually serious about that being my choice. Honestly, I'm slightly baffled at how people still seem to be surprised that there are problems with the Sim City launch, given how problematic and frustrating the Diablo IIIlaunch ended up being. And yes, EA deactivated some features in order to help ease the server madness, but unless I'm mistaken, it took them a pretty long time to get out the Real Money Auction House, and they finally patched in a PvP mode only a couple months ago. Both of these features seemed to be toted as major features in the game (again, unless I'm mistaken; my memory of pre-launch Diablo III marketing/hype isn't exactly spotless), and yet they took a really long time to implement these features because they apparently simply weren't ready when the game initially launched.

The only issue of those I can recall was about the PvP. They were pretty upfront about it saying that they could either patch it in later, or the whole game could be delayed. They decided not to hold back the singleplayer/co-op content just because of PvP.

The real money auction house was about a month after release.

I would say SimCity is worse because they actually removed features post-launch, and EA is telling people not to promote the game. I can't imagine fucking up something so bad that I would tell people to pretend it doesn't exist until I got my shit together

#59 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Maybe not the worst, but Gran Turismo 5 had an awful launch and it was documented by our very own team here at Giant Bomb: Gran Turismo 5 Quick Look

#60 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3150 posts) -

Half Life 2 or Spore.

#61 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -

Socom 4 had a pretty shitty launch, didn't it? an entry in a shooter franchise known for its multiplayer getting shot in the face by the PSN breach at launch must have killed that game's momentum.

that, and apparently it wasn't very good anyway i guess.

#62 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

well the simcity launch seems like a huge media shitstorm and i've even seen mainstream press articles covering it but maybe it only seems so bad because of how recent it is.

#63 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

Diablo 3 was pretty bad but they didn't go so far as to deactivate functions like EA did with Sim City.

They are just as bad as each other, EA are worse for not learning from Diablo III. Fucking idiots.

Also, I've lost every single one of my cities and right now none of the servers are working. It is 5 days after launch.

5. Days. And. It's. Still. BROKEN.

Fucking idiots.

If it isn't fixed tomorrow I'm doing a chargeback. I already paid extra because of Origin and at this point I'd rather get my money back and buy it cheaper when it's working properly.

#64 Posted by Fawkes (245 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIV. It came out over two years ago and is still trying to recover.

#66 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I'm pretty sure a few MMORPGs have had worse launches. Age of Conan and Vanguard come to mind as relatively recent, but there are probably others. Of course, if Simcity stays unplayable for another 6months-1year it starts to be a real competitor to some of those MMOs.

#67 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

#68 Edited by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

SOCOM 4 had a really unfortunate launch.

#69 Edited by paulwade1984 (478 posts) -

Yeah I think we're all forgetting Final Fantasy 14. Biggest fuck up in my recent memory. They are only just about to relaunch it.

#70 Posted by sirdesmond (1240 posts) -

The best part of the original post is when he said he won't be buying any EA products in the future.

#71 Edited by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

Big Rigs. Anticipated by nearly multiple people, still unplayable to this day.