• 160 results
#1 Posted by LiquidPrince (16158 posts) -

#2 Edited by LiquidPrince (16158 posts) -

People seem like they hate games this year... I guess I don't literally mean hate, because on Giantbomb for example, Uncharted got 5, Batman got 5, and Assassin's Creed got a 4. These are fantastic scores. But actually listening to the BOMBSQUAD talking about any of the these games, they all just sound really down. Obviously they enjoyed them, but it's a weird cognitive disconnect hearing them sigh as they describe pretty much every games. I realize this year was a lot of sequels, but they were all really fun games, that I personally enjoyed as well. I feel like the only game that has gotten a huge amount of praise, especially on this site, is Skyrim. I mean, so much so that I feel like it's pretty much confirmed that it's going to be Giantbomb's game of the year.

I think Brad even nonchalantly yelled that out in the past two podcasts, in a half joking, but actually pretty serious manner. So what are the odds that Skyrim will not get game of the year? Low?

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Skyrim fo sho!

#4 Posted by Milkman (17309 posts) -

Skyrim, for sure. I know it's definitely mine.

#5 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1130 posts) -

Listening to this week's Bombcast makes me think it could be Skyrim. Especially if Vinny and/or Ryan enjoy it as much as everyone else.

#6 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

Either Portal  2 or Skyrim. If I were a betting man I would say Skyrim.

#7 Edited by Yummylee (22511 posts) -

Skyrim easily. I still haven't even decided on mine yet, with inFAMOUS 2 and Dark Souls in the running; Uncharted 3 totally bunged things up and now actually has me thinking (!!!) about what to place as my own personal No1. for this year. Really looking forward to playing Saints Row The Third and Skyrim to hopefully bring in some additional, tougher competition.

#8 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

Skyrim deserves it, and will win it.

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I was sure it would be UC3 or Batman, but my stance is now changed to Skyrim. It's very close (and I never thought I would say this) to beating out BF3 for my GOTY. I'm not sure yet, I will have to meditate on it. (No, I won't actually meditate.)

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Skyrim or Saints Row: The Third. It's a special thing to hear Jeff so excited about a game, but "you should play Saints Row."

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Trackmania

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

We don't get an Elder Scrolls game every year. Not to mention that Skyrim literally blows everything else out of the fucking ocean.

#14 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Even with the minor issues the game has, skyrim is easily the best game on that list. Uncharted 3- pacing issues galore. First 12 chapters of puzzles, and last 10 of action *with ONE puzzle mixed in*. Modern warfare 3, is just getting alittle old. Great game, and wasn't the glitchfest battlefield 3s campaign is, but the scripting is getting stale. Batman- same again, great game, but arkham asylum wasn't perfect. Arkham city is basically more of that same formula, with next to nothing new. And...at that rate. Assassins creed is starting to become the next yearly pumpin em out game. Other than the tower defense crap, it basically is brotherhood with a twist.

Really...I would say the only game on that list that even has a shot at dethroning skyrim, is skyward sword. I haven't played saints row 3 or skyward sword. I mean...personally, if any of those games wins, I won't mind. As long as giantbomb does not absolutely make a fucking horrible choice and put a broken game like dark souls as goty, I'll be fine. Jesus, duke nukem forever and two worlds were better put together games than that trash. The only good thing about it- is when you play dark souls, and move onto another game? You see how much developemnt time really matters in games

#15 Edited by NTM (7540 posts) -

I'd say Skyrim, because it's the freshest experience to them, and Portal 2, while amazing to them, came out at the start of this year. Games usually (but not always) that come out near the beginning of the year don't win game of the years. I think runner ups for game of the year though will be Gears of War 3, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, and Portal 2. I think Skyrim will probably win if all of them play it and enjoy it. I'm going off how I perceive their views as, not my own. I haven't played Uncharted 3, Arkham City, or Skyrim yet, though I will be playing Skyrim soon enough; whenever my brother's done with it. Oh, and another runner up might be L.A. Noire.

#16 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

It's most assuredly Skyrim considering how glowingly the Bombcast was talking about their time with it.

#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Witcher 2.

#18 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

I'll be astounded if it's not Skyrim.

#19 Edited by Yummylee (22511 posts) -

GOTY is usually so obvious every year that I'm always much more excited to see the ''Top 10'' videos for each individual staff member.

#20 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2058 posts) -

While I'd love to see a heated debate this year, it seems like they'll give it to Skyrim. Watching the individual top 10 videos will be far more interesting even if most of their number 1s will also be Skyrim.

#21 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Trackmania

Men can dream.

#22 Posted by Natedogg2 (457 posts) -

If I was a betting man, Skyrim.

#23 Edited by Jay_Ray (1127 posts) -

I think Skyrim has it given how much they are loving it but Portal 2 was universally loved by them too.

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

You seem to be forgetting the releases earlier in the year. Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, L.A. Noire have a much bigger shot for GOTY than Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Saints Row The Third etc. That said from their glowing discussions I think Skyrim will win.

#25 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

skyrimskyrimskyrim.com

#26 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Also thanks for the laugh. The idea of Modern Warfare 3 winning GOTY is hilarious.

#27 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Skyrim without a doubt in my mind. I would say its my game of the century so far.

#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (16158 posts) -

@msavo said:

You seem to be forgetting the releases earlier in the year. Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, L.A. Noire have a much bigger shot for GOTY than Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Saints Row The Third etc. That said from their glowing discussions I think Skyrim will win.

I dunno, Uncharted 3 is my GOTY.

@msavo said:

Also thanks for the laugh. The idea of Modern Warfare 3 winning GOTY is hilarious.

Yeah I know XD

#29 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

GOTY is usually so obvious every year that I'm always much more excited to see the ''Top 10'' videos for each individual staff member.

word!

It'll be Skyrim, and you could totally see this coming even from the community. At first it was all Uncharted 3 all the time in these threads, then a couple people said Skyrim, then more people said skyrim, then some people told those people to shut up and that skyrim will be buggy garbage. Then Unchated 3 came out and was met with tepid reactions. Most common point of disscussion: "I liked Uncharted 2 better....".

Then Skyrim came out....to almost universal critical acclaim....

#30 Posted by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

Skyrim, unless the crew liked Portal 2 way more than they remember. I think there are only 4 possible contenders with Skyrim, Saints Row, and Portal 2 being the strongest and Zelda being a possible dark horse.

Why? Because I have a feeling Vinny will really like Zelda and he will attempt to fight for Zelda over Skyrim like he did with Batman over Uncharted 2. He fought so hard that year, maybe he will pull it off this year.

Also, the only reason why we think Skyrim is the most probable is because the majority of them save for Vinny and Ryan have played it and liked it. Maybe Jefff, Brad, Ryan, and Vinny will really like Zelda too. Although looking at the crew's past experiences with motion controls the chances of them picking Zelda over Skyrim are very low.

I hope not everyone goes for Skyrim from the get go. They should at least try and put up a show for us :P

#31 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
@LiquidPrince Oh no don't get me wrong Uncharted 3 and some of the other games you've mentioned are incredible, Uncharted 3 is my personal GOTY so far, but for the Giant Bomb crew I don't think it has a chance. I can see it coming down to Skyrim and Portal 2 with Skyrim winning for them.
#32 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

What the FUCK op, Portal 2 isn't even on that list and I'm pretty sure Ryan Davis will be rooting for it.

Shit list is shit.

#33 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Also: I refuse to believe Skyrim will beat out Portal 2. I'd like to hope that saner heads will prevail and see that Portal 2 wins on both a technical front and a qualitative front. Better, more engrossing experience overall compared to Skyrim.

That or they'll just give MW3 the award. I'm ok with that.

#34 Posted by LiquidPrince (16158 posts) -

@msavo said:

@LiquidPrince Oh no don't get me wrong Uncharted 3 and some of the other games you've mentioned are incredible, Uncharted 3 is my personal GOTY so far, but for the Giant Bomb crew I don't think it has a chance. I can see it coming down to Skyrim and Portal 2 with Skyrim winning for them.

Yeah, I totally agree.

#35 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

Also: I refuse to believe Skyrim will beat out Portal 2. I'd like to hope that saner heads will prevail and see that Portal 2 wins on both a technical front and a qualitative front. Better, more engrossing experience overall compared to Skyrim.

That or they'll just give MW3 the award. I'm ok with that.

Even though it probably took more technical skill to make Skyrim's world than Portal 2?

You bashing Skyrim every chance you get is pretty funny.

#36 Posted by EpicBenjamin (632 posts) -

Saints Row, because that game is perfect.

#37 Posted by bwmcmaste (860 posts) -

@msavo said:

You seem to be forgetting the releases earlier in the year. Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, L.A. Noire have a much bigger shot for GOTY t

Considering the faded love for L.A. Noire and the attention vacuum for the other two, I don't think we'll be seeing any of these on GOTY. Personally, I absolutely loved L.A. Noire and Fight Night: Champion, but I'm not of the majority opinion.

#38 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

I had to choose the "Other" option in the poll because I saw no mention of Skylanders. Have you all forgotten the greatness that is Skylanders? Or perhaps you are just confusing Skyrim for it since they both have "sky" in the title. That must be it.

#39 Posted by BisonHero (7023 posts) -

I could see Vinny being a wild card and maybe advocating for The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls, but I can just as easily see him switching to Skyrim or Zelda once he has played them. And for everybody else, it seems like the games they all universally enjoyed were Skyrim and Portal 2.

This seems like one of those years where there's very few contenders for GotY, and they're incredibly obvious. Sort of how so many good games came out in 2007 that 2008 was a bit of an off year, and while some decent games came out in '08, the GotY contenders were very obviously GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Fallout 3, and maybe Left 4 Dead if you really, really like multiplayer more then singleplayer.

#40 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Uncharted 3 and Arkham City? No fucking way. 

It's gonna be Skyrim. If Giant Bomb wants to pull a Gamespot and select a weird one it's going to be Saints Row.

#41 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

It seems everybody loves Skyrim so... this year the podcast won't be that long which I'm not too bummed about.

#42 Posted by InsidiousTuna (424 posts) -

Probably Skyrim, possibly Portal 2. They all seem to be incredibly enamored with Skyrim, and I don't remember any game this year that they all seemed to be so into. Ryan has yet to play it, but he was a big fan of Oblivion, so I imagine he'll like it, and Vinny is extremely excited to start it.

#43 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

I feel like unless you remember every significant game that came out this year to do this right, these threads should not be polls just to keep the peace and allow for many more options other than 'other'. That being said...

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
#44 Posted by Willin (1285 posts) -

I would like to point out that 2010'a GOTY Mass Effect 2 came out during the very beginning of the year so whether something is fresh or not has very little hold.

#45 Posted by sungahymn (1038 posts) -

Skyrim, fool.

#46 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Probably Skyrim, but I'm more interested in the individual top 10's of the year. 

#47 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I really thought it was going to be Arkham City. But I've been playing Skyrim, and it's pretty kick-ass. It seems like a unanimous Skyrim win for the Giant Bomb crew at the moment, since they can't seem to stop talking about it.

#48 Posted by Linkster7 (1043 posts) -

Skyrim, kinda obvious this year. Hope they mix up the categories like they said they would so we have some tension\surprises.

But then again the other guys haven't played Zelda yet, and I have a feeling Patrick is going to be the one who liked it the least.

#49 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Wouldn't surprise me is Skyrim won. The game looks great.

#50 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Skyrim. I thought it was going to be Batman vs. Uncharted round 2, but it's pretty clear at this point that it won't be.