• 90 results
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

Every year there are just some games that we are all set to love but the games just don't meet our expectations.  What games stand out in your mind as being a game you wish was better then what it actually was?  By this I mean a game that had a ton of potential but the game just didn't meet that potential.

I have a few that really stuck out to me...

-Mirror's Edge
-Fallout: New Vegas
-Metroid Prime 2
-Heavy Rain

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Sambambo

All games that I have ever played.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EvilTwin
@SuperSambo said:
" All games that I have ever played. "
Yeah, no offense OP, but how did you not see this coming? 
The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By The_Painted

Not that I think it ever had a huge amount of potential, but Bullet Witch. I've always thought the idea behind that game seemed really cool, and it had some interesting level and character designs, but none of them were executed particularly well. I still enjoyed playing through it though, even if it did get a bit monotonous.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By RVonE
@SuperSambo said:
"All games that I have ever played. "

Agreed.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster
@SuperSambo said:
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JasonR86

Heh, well I guess I wasn't expecting smart-asses.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
@SuperSambo said:
QFT
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skytylz

New vegas would be up there.  A little more polish and that game would have been great like Fallout 3 was.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

dead rising 2

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Siphillis
NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuCTR
The Conduit. Because it could have been a revolution for the WII.
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Winternet
@SuperSambo said:
Then you should start to play better games. 

If we're talking 2010 stuff then Alpha Protocol, Heavy Rain, Mafia II, Medal of Honor and Mass Effect 2 (the lack of a proper Citadel blows my mind. But, that's pretty much it. And the fact that Liara just didn't want to hang with me anymore. But, apparently Lair of the Shadow Broker may fix that. I haven't played it yet.)
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sambambo
@Winternet
@SuperSambo said:

If we're talking 2010 stuff then Alpha Protocol, Heavy Rain, Mafia II, Medal of Honor and Mass Effect 2 (the lack of a proper Citadel blows my mind. But, that's pretty much it. And the fact that Liara just didn't want to hang with me anymore. But, apparently Lair of the Shadow Broker may fix that. I haven't played it yet.)
So you have played a perfect game?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

prototype

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JasonR86
@SuperSambo: 

I think you may be missing the spirit of the question.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By nintendoeats

Hah, second thread of the night that I get to bring up Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

Also Alan Wake. Its not BAD...but these guys made freaking Max Payne!!! I think they took it more seriously than I realized, to the game's detriment.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Where to begin with this list?

1. Final Fantasy XIII
  2. Splatterhouse
  3. Prototype
  4. Dead Rising 2
  5. Fallout: New Vegas
  6. GT5
  7. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  8. Far Cry 2
  9. Devil May Cry 4
  10. NASCAR '09

...and many others that I could spend hours listing, but I rather not xD
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ch3burashka

Advent Rising. The ending of that game was terrific, everything else was mediocre and/or shit. It could have been a great trilogy if only they didn't rely on the tried-and-true strategy of "Let's not care about the first game, because we will have two more games to improve!". It's still gotta sell to be a trilogy, dumbasses. 

Mirror's Edge is a fine choice. More than anything, I wish it got a bigger marketing push. Dead Space 2 is coming out this month, and Mirror's Edge has been completely forgotten. *tear* 

Alpha Protocol looked AWESOME from the first trailers. Too bad EVERYONE fucked up - the game part was bad, and even Sega fucked up the launch, they forgot to announce that they had pushed the launch! God dammit... 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Enigma777

Darksiders. I really enjoyed it, but it was so close to being a AAA game, that I couldn't stop myself from wishing it was just a bit better or just a bit more polished.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Deadly Premonition. 
velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By velucyraptor

Oblivion.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By GreggD

Ghostbusters.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fazzle

Epic Mickey.  I wanted *so* badly to like this game, but I just can't force myself to sit through any more of it.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Command and Conquer 4

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Oblivion and Far Cry 2 are good choices. Both full of potential, but ruined by lots of stupidity.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27  Edited By natetodamax

Final Fantasy XIII.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Jeust

Force Unleashed. If done with respect to the source material, it could have been one of the best games ever. But in order to be quicker to develop and have a mass appeal, they turned it into a fun and honeyed experience. Great, mindblowing at times, still with enough flaws to never be critically acclaimed.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Akeldama

Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2 come to mind.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By l4wd0g

Alpha Protocol, GT5, Final Fantasy XII, Lost Planet 2, and Brute Force.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Vonocourt
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" Advent Rising. The ending of that game was terrific, everything else was mediocre and/or shit. It could have been a great trilogy if only they didn't rely on the tried-and-true strategy of "Let's not care about the first game, because we will have two more games to improve!". It's still gotta sell to be a trilogy, dumbasses. 
  "
It's not so much that they didn't care enough to make a great game, it's that they had like eight dudes working on it.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By l4wd0g
@JasonR86 said:
" Every year there are just some games that we are all set to love but the games just don't meet our expectations.  What games stand out in your mind as being a game you wish was better then what it actually was?  By this I mean a game that had a ton of potential but the game just didn't meet that potential. I have a few that really stuck out to me...  -Mirror's Edge -Fallout: New Vegas -Metroid Prime 2 -Heavy Rain "
I hated Heavy Rain and Limbo both because of my own ill-conceived expectations of what they were.. How would you have changed Heavy Rain to make it better? Just Curious.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JasonR86

@l4wd0g

Heavy Rain had a great premise.  I even liked the gameplay despite the bad walking controls.  But, the story needed to be further worked on.  There were way to many plot problems.  Many elements were dropped for convenience causing errors in consistency.  The plot twists were odd especially the final twist.  It was a game that was exciting and fun while you played it but puzzling and concerning once you stopped.  Ultimately, when I beat it I felt like I had just wasted my time.  It wasn't a fulfilling experience.  Besides the plot, the characters needed work.  I the two main characters (the man who lost both his sons and his love interest) weren't great characters.  The man especially.  How do you lose two kids?  Plus, the hallucinations/dissociation/whatever that cause him to lose his second kid was never explained and was conveniently dropped/forgotten.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFXIII. I really wanted to like it, I wanted it to wash the taste of XII out of my mouth and prove the whole 'Japanese game design is dead' fallacy wrong. Unfortunately, it pretty much did the opposite of that.

Heavy Rain. It had a lot of potential, even if it was basically just a new Indigo Prophecy (despite all the bullshit hyperbole about how it's so innovative and is going to push video games forward). Unfortunately it was pure crap, unlike its merely flawed spiritual prequel.

Red Dead Redemption. After hearing so much about how this game was so awesome, I was baffled at how stunningly mediocre it was. Honestly, though, I shouldn't have been surprised. I felt the exact same way about pretty much every GTA game; Rockstar is great at making these huge interesting worlds you want to explore and play around in, but not so much at making the actual gameplay any fun. At least they fixed the checkpointing and put in regenerating health though.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Winternet
@SuperSambo said:
" @Winternet
@SuperSambo said:

So you have played a perfect game? "  
If by perfect game you mean a game that I wouldn't change anything, then yes, I have.
Avatar image for deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c
deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trespasser 

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raiz265

BF:BC2

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EvilTwin
@Winternet said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" @Winternet
@SuperSambo said:

If by perfect game you mean a game that I wouldn't change anything, then yes, I have. "
Which one is that?
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Indigo Prophecy instantly comes to mind >_>

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSambo said:
" @Winternet
@SuperSambo said:

I don't think perfection necessarily has to come into it. There are games that, while not objectively perfect, either come very close or are subjectively perfect. 

Super Meat Boy springs to mind. Everything in its ouvre is fantastic. Great level design, tight controls, fluid movement, cute story. Sure some of the unlockable characters aren't that great, but I would not "wish the game was better."

I think some people need to take a step back for a moment and really think about what they're saying.  

Personally, Alpha Protocol missed the mark by a country mile. I love it, I think it's a great game, but there are definitely aspects of it that are just poor fucking design. Portions feel as though they are pushing boundaries, and others feel as though they are stuck in 2004. 

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. also seems pretty appropriate, but after playing some with the 2012 Complete Patch I'm not so sure. Changes so much for the better. It also paves the way for discussion regarding community content/patches and how much they can go towards helping a developer. Because it changes the game so fundamentally, it's almost worth re-reviewing, but would that be acceptable from a journalism/market perspective? 
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 02sfraser

Alpha Protocol. The game had such promise.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Winternet
@EvilTwin said:
" @Winternet said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" @Winternet
@SuperSambo said:

If by perfect game you mean a game that I wouldn't change anything, then yes, I have. "
Which one is that? "
Half Life, Broken Sword: The Shadow of Templars and Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror, Bioshock, Max Payne 2, Half Life 2, Call of Duty 4, GTA Vice City, Braid, Total Annihilation, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. I wouldn't change anything in these games. 

P.S.: Well, maybe scratch GTA Vice CIty. There was one early mission which was to drive an RC helicopter. I didn't like that the first time I played it. The other times I didn't mind it. So yeah, I would maybe change that on Vice City.
Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hennet_sim

Fable 3 is the first thing that comes to mind.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeF
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

prototype

"
yup, that is one that comes to mind when I think of games that I wished were better. I played that for maybe 1-2 hours and it was just plain bad while it sounded nice on paper (and could've been really cool if one looks at how good inFamous turned out).
fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fraser
@Winternet: I scanned what you wrote there and almost started a massive "ZOMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T LIKE BROKEN SWORD ONE AND TWO WHAT ARE YOU THINKING MAN" caps attack. 

Then I read it. And I apologise for the potential inappropriate insult I almost launched into.  I wholeheartedly agree with the perfection of the Broken Sword games (well the first 2 anyway). Also that Vice City helicopter mission has to stop that game being perfect. 

As for games I wished were better; The Mark of Kri.
zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By zameer

There are obviously a few, but the one that sticks out is Daikatana. I was 14 when it came out, and all that in-yo-face marketing really worked on me. I had played the Doom and Quake series but was obviously too young to appreciate them fully. This game was going to be their masterpiece.... WHAT COULD GO WRONG RIGHT?!  

At least it taught me the importance of game reviews and researching before you buy.. so not a total loss I guess.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By Skald

Red Dead Redemption and Limbo. I was so psyched up until I actually played them for a while and realized they got kind of boring towards the middle. Really bummed me out.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kjellm87

I can't think of anything special, so I'll go with every game as well

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Joker369

Fable 3

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Winternet said:
Half Life, Broken Sword: The Shadow of Templars and Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror, Bioshock, Max Payne 2, Half Life 2, Call of Duty 4, GTA Vice City, Braid, Total Annihilation, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. I wouldn't change anything in these games.  P.S.: Well, maybe scratch GTA Vice CIty. There was one early mission which was to drive an RC helicopter. I didn't like that the first time I played it. The other times I didn't mind it. So yeah, I would maybe change that on Vice City. "
So you're saying that if you could give those games the most amazing writing/looks/gameplay/etc of any medium or just fix whatever little problem/bug those games might have you wouldn't do it?