What game do you wish you could experience all over again?

• 177 results
supermariobrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supermariobrah

Every once and a while I will come across a game so wonderful and beautifully made that will never be as awesome on the second play through as it was the first.  Something about experiencing an awesome level, beautiful graphics, hearing the soundtrack, an amazing story line, or anything that makes a game great when it is fresh can rarely be duplicated.  Here are my top 5 games I wish I could go back and play for the first time;

5. Metal Gear Solid 3 

I almost picked MGS 1 because it was the first game I played in my early teens that showed me how a game can be much more than something to play.  It had an interesting and political plot that was built with a cinematic quality I had not experienced in a game.  However, MGS 3 took that element to a whole new level.  I played through MGS 3 right before heading off to college, and I remember being wowed by the game play as much as the story.  Hiding in the camo, eating to survive, the motorcycle battle, the End boss fight, and the last hour of the game were simply amazing.  Never had an ending been so beautiful or touching to me.  MGS 3 is a true journey, and I would love to be back in that field of white flowers for the first time. 

4. Shadow of the Colossus 

SotC was one of those games that is meant to be awe inspiring.  While everyone pretty much knows about the game, where the only enemies are basically bosses, I did not know what to expect when I first sat down to play it.  From the ethereal opening sequence and first battle, I was hooked.  The sense of scale and raw determination of the protagonist made for a truly unique journey.  Riding in the desert area with Argo while the colossus flew through the blue sky above me is a moment I will never forget. 

3. Batman: Arkham Asylum 

I have been a Batman fan, no exaggeration,  for my entire life.  My parents had to wrestle me out of my Batman pajamas when I was 1, and drag me out of the Batman Returns Batmobile at age 2.  Batman was/is my hero.  As a result, I played many Batman video games.  Some were horrible, such as Batman Forever and Batman: Dark Tomorrow.  Some of them were good, such as Batman: Vengeance and the Adventures of Batman and Robin.  None of them, however, are even close to capturing Batman in the way Arkham Asylum did.  For a fan, B:AA is truly a dream come true.  Not only did they use my favorite iteration of Batman(Kevin Conroy) and the wonderful Mark Hamill as the Joker, but they made a game that is genuinely fun to play.  I love the combat of the series, and the adventure elements are well done.  On top of this, the sickly look of Arkham and its grounds only add to the fascination of Batman and his world.  I have played through the game many times, but the sheer joy and wonderment of my first play through cannot be matched.  The moment where I was walking down Crime Alley towards the tragic origin of Batman in the Scarecrow sequence will always go down as one of my favorite moments in any form of entertainment. 

2. Red Dead Redemption 

I am a big fans of the Western film genre, and this carried over into my video game habits.  Every time a game was announced that was going to attempt to make an experience around the old west, it had my attention.  Games like Red Dead Revolver, Gun, and the Call of Juarez series have all attempted to make a true Western experience and succeeded to some degree.  When I heard that Rockstar was making an open world Western game, it was the first time I thought we would finally get a high quality Western game.  Red Dead Redemption was that and so much more.  The setting, story, music, and main character John Marston were pitch perfect to make for a truly epic journey.  Tragic and inspired, Red Dead Redemption is probably my favorite game of all time.  The moment when I was crossing into Mexico at night and "Far Away" kicks in took me completely off guard and immersed me in the game in a way no other game had.  It was beautiful from beginning to end, and I would love to experience it for the first time again.   

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 

Not only is SMB 3 one of the greatest games of all time, but it also holds a special place in my heart.  This is sort of cheating, because I not only wish I could play SMB 3 for the first time again but also because it was the game I played with my sister the most when we were kids.  I don't just wish to play it like I never had before, I wish I could go back and bond with my sister over it again.  We would sit for hours on our Nintendo that barely worked ,switching the controller back and forth so we each got a turn.  My family didn't have much money to put towards things like a new console, so while every kid was getting Super Nintendo's and Sega Genesis's we got used Nintendo's that my dad bought from people at his work.  Some of them lasted a while, others hardly at all.  Each time though, SMB 3 was the game we would always play more than anything else.  We weren't very good at it, I was very young and had a hard time with the more challenging areas.  Yet, my sister was patient with me and let me play on whether we were winning or losing.  My favorite gaming moment of all time is when we made it past the first map only to find out that it wasn't the end of the game.  The look of surprise on my sister's face will stick with me as we played onward where we never had before.  We never beat the game, I still haven't even with the GBA edition, but I would give a lot for one more night in front of that TV watching the screen blink from gray to black as we waited for the curtains to rise for the first time on Super Maria Bros. 3.  That is what loving video games is all about.   

So now that I have shared the games I wish I could experience for the first time all over again, what games fit into this category for you?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Uncharted 2, no effing contest.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. 
I just picked it up because it sounded good when I read all the fancy text on the back of the box. 
One of my favorite games. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

Ah, what a coincidence! I was just discussing Super Mario 64 in another thread. There is no question in my mind, that is the answer.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86

1) Sonic (the first Genesis game); this was a fucking amazing moment for me. It was my first 16-bit game and cemented this medium as a hobby for me.

2) One-on-One (Colecovision); this was my very f out and it was first video game. I played it well after it came out but it didn't matter. It was still awesome.

3) Oblivion; this was the first time that I had experienced a game that seemed to surpass a scale I could imagine.

4) Uncharted 2; this game blew me a way the first time I played it. Hell, the second time I played it it blew me away. But there's nothing like the first time.

5) Phantasy Star (Master System); this was the first RPG I had ever played and it was a great experience. Well...it became a great experience. I got really fucked up by the difficulty at first but eventually I got a hang of it.

HandsomeMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By HandsomeMuffin

I know it's a very recent game but I'd have to go with Dark Souls at the moment. Playing through it a second time now and while I'm still enjoying it, the first time through was amazing. The sense of exploration and the thrill of beating some of the harder bosses (here's looking at you Ornstein & Smough) just can't be beat a second go through.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By peacebrother

Metroid Prime. If I could play that game through for the first time again, oh my goodness.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IBurningStar

Uncharted 2. 
The first time through that game I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was absolutely enthralled with what was going on. It was one of those games that I feel you experience more than merely play. 

Metal Gear Solid 3.
The battle with The End is what I consider to be the definition of epic. Yeah, that word is thrown around a lot and absolutely abused, but the feel of that fight and how it played out was epic. And then we have that sucker punch of an ending. The big reveal at the end of MGS3 is one of the biggest OMG moments in video game history. 

Silent Hill 2.
Such an eerie and beautiful journey. It is a lot like the Uncharted thing where I wish I could experience it again with fresh, unknowing eyes.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9  Edited By c_rakestraw

Okami. I've played it so many times now that I can't remember what it was like the first through.

Also: Journey, for obvious reasons.

supermariobrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By supermariobrah
@JasonR86: Another great one with Sonic the Hedgehog, first game I played once I got my Genesis that came with the "6-Pak" cartridge.  It was my first new system, and had been sitting on lay way at a K Mart for months as I waited to get my hands on it.  The first Green Hill Zone will always be one of my favorite levels.  Never had a game been so fast and energetic for me.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By laserbolts

Probably Skyrim. I was so into that game when I played it. It bummed me out when I did everything I think that is worth doing.

drGiggless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By drGiggless

jurassic park for sega genesis

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

KOTOR...without having been spoiled beforehand.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By CJduke

@drGiggless said:

jurassic park for sega genesis

LOL that game was awesome and also scared the shit out of me when I was six years old.

For me though I would have to go with WoW. I had no idea what an mmo was before I played it and I was amazed by it. It felt like such an adventure and going into instances was some of the most exciting moments in my gaming experience. Not to mention I played with a bunch of my real life friends which made the experience even better. Honestly if they re-released Burning Crusade I'm pretty sure I would buy it and play through it all over again.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By shivermetimbers

Deadly Premonition.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grillbar

@ZeForgotten said:

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. I just picked it up because it sounded good when I read all the fancy text on the back of the box. One of my favorite games.

DUDE i wish i could go back in time and replay it again. if i played it now i would properly not like it due to the way it looks but man that game is so fucking great

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

1) Devil May Cry 3 - I got it from a friend in an interesting time of my life. Played that bad boy every night for some three+ months straight. Loved every darn second of it.

2) Banjo-Kazooie - Man... I still remember being seven (at oldest) and having my older bro wake me up at 1am, then the two of us creeping upstairs so he could play through the swamp level.

3) Smash Bros. Melee - Same again man. For like three months, my bros an I (3 of us) would play endless 10 stock matches everyday - gooooood times

Man... I have had some darn good times gaming

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Thoseposers

the secret of monkey island. it's still fun just going back through it but the first time seeing everything is just fantastic

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
@Grillbar said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. I just picked it up because it sounded good when I read all the fancy text on the back of the box. One of my favorite games.

DUDE i wish i could go back in time and replay it again. if i played it now i would properly not like it due to the way it looks but man that game is so fucking great

I recently decided to purchase it on gog.com because why the hell not, right? 
It doesn't look great, sure but it's still good and I'm enjoying it a lot. But if I could go back to that Friday where I originally purchased it and just played it through to the end the same weekend I would be happy.  
I still remember the first time I went "this game is awesome!".  When you finally get to beat the unliving shit out of the damn Punchingbag in the apartment. 
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You don't have to wish just put it back in your console.

If you can't enjoy it to an almost exact degree as the first time it probably wasn't that good to begin with.

However if you're just focusing on the bare minimum and saying "The first time will forever be the best." then I really don't know a great answer...

Killer 7?

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Funzzo

super meat boy,mario64,silent hill 2,ridge racer revolution,metal slug,bioshock.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

Shadow of the Colossus. There was a moment while playing the Ico collection for the PS3 where I realized knowing how to take down all the Colossi really quickly takes a hell of a lot away from that game. The first time it was pretty magical, but now it was a bit like a favourite movie you've seen so many times you start to notice its biggest flaws.

I'd love to have the same sense of wonder I had first time around.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By audiosnow

System Shock 2.

My answer to every phenomenal-game-involving questionare.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By BoG

@Melvargh said:

Metroid Prime. If I could play that game through for the first time again, oh my goodness.

Absolutely. Metroid Prime... If I could go back, oh boy... what a magical gaming experience.

Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus as well. All of these games simply blew me away.

Wolfwood9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolfwood9000

Z.O.E I've played it so many times but that first time was just so cool and fun.

Also ghetto linking xboxs with your computer to play Halo multiplayer online.

Finally Super Mario 3 just because it was the first game I have ever played and I still think its the best Mario game ever.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By stonyman65

Uncharted 2 as a whole.

The last 3 hours of MGS4

playing RE 4 the first time with friends (and then another 10 times with friends)

Playing Super Mario bros 3 for the first time

Playing Super Mario World for the first time

Doing Tomb Raider playthroughs with my cousin

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baldurs Gate 2 hands down, nothing comes close to the epic scale of story and sheer attachment I felt to those characters. It was my personal experience and mine alone, thats what it felt like.

and Final Fantasy 8 maybe, and perhaps something as stupid as Resident Evil 1. (I was a teenager and easily swayed by the atmosphere of that game)

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Sackmanjones

The whole mass effect series. I envy someone everytime when they say they jus beat Mass Effect 2 for the first time. Fuckin suicide mission!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Animasta

Nier is the first that comes to mind.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Starfishhunter9

mass effect trilogy, except then end of the third one.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By subject2change

Demon's Souls. Super rewarding! And hey I can with Dark Souls as I haven't played it yet!

World of Warcraft - Through the original, maybe a bit of TBC as well. Was some great years of gaming as young adult. Many fond memories.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

goldeneye 64. it was first 3D FPS that i played. the first n64 game that i played. good times playing the n64.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By hawkinson76

1. Freespace 2 - When the second SV Juggernaut jumps in and destroys the Colossus...

2. Ultima 5 - When I was captured by blackthorn and had to either reveal the password of the resistance ("Dawn") or sacrifice a character.

3. Final Fantasy 6 - when the world was destroyed and the game didn't end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Half-Life 2.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ckeats

Jak 2. That happened at a time when I could look around the internet and there wasn't videos of the entire game out there. Blew me away at how different it was from the first which I absolutely loved.

San Andreas would be second. Not even for the story, just to experience the world again.

Probably any game from the pre-"internet spoiling everything" times I'd like to experience again.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hawkinson76

@Funzzo said:

super meat boy,mario64,silent hill 2,ridge racer revolution,metal slug,bioshock.

that reminds me, System Shock 2 (I never played 1)! I was genuinely surprised by the twist! and even before that, when I bought the game I had no idea there would be zombies, and they talked!

and if anyone hasn't played it, its exactly like Bioshock, which is why Bioshock did nothing for me.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By notdavid

I wish I could play Portal without any idea of what type of game it was. Not just the twist at the end. I wish I didn't even know that game had god damn portals.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aetheldod

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 ... all the Silent hill games up to the room (including it)  , Demon´s Souls/ Dark Souls , Xenogears , Half Life 2 & Ep1 and 2 , Mass Effect games ... except the ending to 3 .... :_:

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hawkinson76

@JacobShOckgosu said:

Baldurs Gate 2 hands down, nothing comes close to the epic scale of story and sheer attachment I felt to those characters. It was my personal experience and mine alone, thats what it felt like.

and Final Fantasy 8 maybe, and perhaps something as stupid as Resident Evil 1. (I was a teenager and easily swayed by the atmosphere of that game)

Wow, like a weird, alternate reality version of me: Baldurs Gate 1 was amazing at the time, nothing else like it, rolled more than one PC, played through the expansions too. Baldurs Gate 2, I never finished, it failed to engage me. Too much of the same? Maybe I was too focused on the high level magic?

And Final Fantasy 8 was the first Final Fantasy game I failed to finish, and one of the only ones I still haven't to this day. I played a lot of it, and I didn't mind the drawing and junctioning so much (I had time!), but I HATED Squall. He can die in a fire. And the girl, too.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hawkinson76

@notdavid said:

I wish I could play Portal without any idea of what type of game it was. Not just the twist at the end. I wish I didn't even know that game had god damn portals.

this

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kindgineer

Planetside. The amount of atmosphere that game gave me was incredible. I just remember, having absolutely no idea what to do. It was the first time in my life I begged my father to update my computer just to play a game, because I could barely run it at low-res. After updating, I jumped on a random Outfit's galaxy, and was told to drop out over a base. Hundreds of little lasers buzzing over my head and it just felt like a virtual D-Day.

After that, I realized that's pretty much every single battle, but the moment I lived that day will be remembered by me forever.

Either that, or Star Wars Galaxies. However, I would bore you with a several page article on how phenomenal my first months in that game were.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Hunter5024

Persona 3 because it's been such a long time since a jrpg made me feel so attached to it, and it hasn't happened again since that game. Of course Shadow of The Colossus, and Uncharted 2 are also good candidates. Anything else that comes to mind is so old that I think if I experienced it again for the first time without the nostalgia, that I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finding it difficult to answer this question.

I want to say Morrowind because it's my favorite game ever, so naturally I wish I could play it again for the first time... but if I were to experience it for the first time today, after playing Oblivion and Skyrim, would it matter as much to me? Probably not. In fact I may even hate it. :(

supermariobrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By supermariobrah
@xaLieNxGrEyx: I see the idea of being able to play it again, but there is a sense of wonderment that seems to dissipate after experiencing things like films and games for the first time.  Like the moment I mentioned in Red Dead Redemption when you cross into Mexico.  The first time was enthralling and mesmerizing as I didn't expect it at all.  The second time I played that section, I had a reaction more along the lines of  "I have been waiting for this, wow was that cool".  It was still a memorable moment, but it will never have the magic it had the first time it happened.  It is sort of like when you watch an awesome movie for the second time.  You are excited to see certain parts again or watch how a twist is built up to, but it is still going over familiar ground.  It is impressive, but the complete "Wow" factor isn't nearly as present.  
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By BaneFireLord

Oblivion. I want to walk out of the Imperial Sewers for the first time again.

Pobearo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pobearo

Starwars Galaxies in it's hayday. Entirely player run economy, houses, player made stores and cities, material farming, hovercars, rare jedi, non-combat classes? Yes please!

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1111f1060
deactivated-629f1111f1060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I look past the games which I suspect myself missing for more nostalgic reasons than the games' own merit (Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid among many others), I'd say Resident Evil 4

I bought a special edition RE4 themed Gamecube with the game included, and it's still the only game I have for the console. Although I was excited for the game, I had no idea it would sink its hooks into me this deep. Couldn't put it down, had to see what waited beyond each checkpoint, and it kept opening up with surprising locations and moods. Just when I thought the game was drawing towards the end, and I was perfectly happy with the length and content, it asked me to change discs and it turned out I had an equal amount left to play. I've rarely been as pleasantly surprised playing a game.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I would say Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai

SO many but if there's a game I really wish I could play for the first time then without a doubt Planescape: Torment.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By delorean99947

Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 1, Dead Rising 2, Borderlands, and Uncharted 2 MP.