• 127 results
#1 Posted by dinkys (51 posts) -

As a Brit, I'm rather obsessed by football (Soccer to Americans but as we use our feet to kick the ball instead of our hands to throw it, we'll call it football) which means any football game that's released automatically has my attention. Sounds incredibly boring to the neutral but Football Manager is a series which you take control of a team and do your darn best to lead them to glory. You don't get to actually play the games so it's pretty close to being entirely text based but it's a thrill nonetheless.

Just checked my Steam account and I've currently amassed 936 hours in Football Manager 2012 which is like playing for 39 days straight. Quite shameful but we all have our guilty pleasures right?

So what game have you sunk the most time into?

#2 Edited by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

edit: i wanted to have the correct amount of time, I was way off but I am only including the total on my own consoles/pc versus using my tournament/friend sessions included.

street fighter 4 (xbox 360) - 61:15

street fighter 4 (pc) - lost save file on GFWL

super street fighter 4/arcade edition 2012 (xbox 360) - 197:18

super street fighter 4/arcade edition 2012 (ps3) - 43:37

super street fighter 4/arcade edition 2012 (pc) - lost save file on GFWL

#3 Edited by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

Thousands of hours of Diablo II

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Rock Band, probably. If I had to choose one game, probably Rock Band 2, but you know, the series in general.

Diablo II is right up there for me as well.

#5 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Minecraft, an easy 500+ hours into that one.

#6 Posted by BaneFireLord (2928 posts) -

Oblivion...so much Oblivion.

#7 Posted by kerse (2112 posts) -

WoW

#8 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

I have close to 500 hours in TF2, which is kinda weird because I don't play individual games for very long. Usually I can't even bring myself to finish a game. I have about 50 hours into Skyrim which is probably the second most played game for me, so the gap there is huge.

#9 Edited by Akyho (1601 posts) -

TF2 just slightly beats the other game I know I have played alot....Too Human.

TF2 stands at 121hrs and Too human was 120 the last time I played.

My dad on the other hand. Civilization 5 sits at 788.

#10 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

I played WoW for years. I'm not sure but I think my main character had close to 150 days playtime when I finally quit back in 2009.

#11 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Easily Smash Brothers Melee.

#12 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

#13 Posted by toots (457 posts) -

Probably also smash brothers melee. That, or zelda games as a collective?

#14 Posted by GloomyTangent (194 posts) -

Looking at my Steam account I've got 250 hours in Dota 2. I'm sure there's other games that I've spent more time playing over the years, but the metrics there are easily available. I have a bit of gamer ADD, so I have trouble pouring days upon days into a single game.

#15 Edited by psylah (2170 posts) -

Ever? WoW.

Before WoW? Silent Death Online.

Since WoW? Counter Strike.

#16 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

Way too much of Counter Strike: Source. Maybe around 2000 hours, steam wasn't recording playtime when I was playing it the most.

#17 Posted by Nentisys (889 posts) -

Eve Online.

#18 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Either Metal Gear Solid (PS1) or The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, both have sunk about 400 hours+

#19 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

Mount and Blade: Warband

642 hours

#20 Posted by two_socks (230 posts) -

I've probably played close to 800 hours of FFXII.

#21 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
#22 Posted by Ashcrack1087 (45 posts) -

500 hours in Dota 2, WoW is probably pretty close to that aswell.

#23 Posted by shootermcclay (219 posts) -

Over 350 hours leveling up my BAP character in NHL 09, and over 300 hours in Fallout 3.

#24 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

WoW, easily. For single-player I'd have to say Skyrim.

#25 Posted by Marcsman (3180 posts) -

This generation easily Skyrim

#26 Posted by corruptsaves (214 posts) -

Most for me is around 240 hours into Skyrim and I haven't finished the main quest yet. I was worn out on it so just go back in small chunks now.

It was pretty hardcore to see the amount of hours you put into Football Manager, but I can see the appeal. More competitive games have you chasing the win which never gets old as it's a nice feeling to win. Similar to the thrill of gambling? Our brains like stuff like that, not that I gamble but it reminded me of it. Much like the chances of getting rare loot so that covers those kind of games.

Then theres the open sand box time games like Minecraft where the lack of direction means it's all on what you do.

I like the looks of the new X-COM game, the randomness is making that sound like a lot of hours could be dumped into it. Like playing a game of Warhammer (not that I have in over a decade!)

#27 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@dinkys: You know the term soccer is from the UK, right?

Anyway, technically World of Warcraft, but I don't want to include MMO's, so I'll go with Diablo 2.

#28 Posted by pyromagnestir (4301 posts) -

Whole summers were lost to Perfect Dark and Goldeneye multiplayer but since there's no way of knowing how much actual time was played, (actually, Perfect Dark did keep track of time played, now that I think of it, but it wouldn't be totally accurate I didn't make a profile right away, and I didn't always use my profile when I played, but since my n64's plugged in right now anyway I'm going to go check it out later) I guess Skyrim? 150 hours. It's the highest of all the games that I played which keep a tally, I think.

Although according to one save file I've been playing KOTOR since, roughly, the civil war. I think that's what the math worked out to.

#29 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The most I've ever put into a game is WoW. My main alone had ~140 days and I had another character with about 40 and various others with anywhere from 1 - 8 days, so I probably spent like between 200 and 230 days total. Scary to think about. Besides WoW, it's gotta be League of Legends but there's no way to tell for sure how much play time you have exactly.

Edit: To name a few others, Call of Duty 4 is way up there as well as BF: Bad Company 2. For a non-online game... not really sure. DMC3 is certainly up there as well as SSB Melee.

#30 Edited by Itwongo (1185 posts) -

TF2. 1040 hours. I don't know how much of that was idling though. Seems like a lot. Maybe 200.

I've since stopped playing. I'll play a few rounds during the holidays, though.

#31 Posted by bananaz (256 posts) -

Diablo 2 by a long shot.

#32 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

World of Warcraft, no idea what the number of hours played was.

Its bizarre how you can go from loving that game to disliking it and unable to play other games in that genre at the drop of a hat.

#33 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

League of Legends.... By a lot. I think I'm up at a thousand hours or so.

#34 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

All the versions of Street Fighter IV. Around 1,000 hours combined.

#35 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

Blazblue

Lots of Blazblue

#36 Posted by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

Proabaly WoW. For single player experiences I probably spent close to a thousand hours over a decade playing all four main Disgaea games through a decade.

#37 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

Oblivion.

Skyrim is gaining on it.

#38 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1771 posts) -

Civilization IV - probably around 1,000 hours.

Skyrim - around 200 hours.

Sim City for the SNES - around 300-400 hours.

#39 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

Probably Daggerfall, maybe Final Fantasy XI

#40 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Oblivion and Fallout games.

#41 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Over 500 hours each:

• Counter Strike
  • Guild Wars
  • DotA
  • DOTA 2
  • HoN
  • DoW 2 + exp

Actually I have a list about that stuff which you can see here. With time I've found out usually 400-600 hours is my breaking/getting bored point for a game that has multiplayer component.

#42 Posted by cheezfang (11 posts) -

WoW, when I finally stopped playing I think I calculated it at about 3100 hours or so.

#43 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

I don't know the exact number, but I've probably spent around 400-500 hours in Fallout 3.

#44 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

Over the years? I dunno. With games I currently have the numbers for, BF3 at just south of 200 hours.

#45 Posted by dinkys (51 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror: I actually didn't know that. I'll do my homework next time *Hangs head in shame*

#46 Posted by Levius (1113 posts) -

Football Manager addicts me too. Football Manger 2005 got me the hardest, I think that game was the closest I've ever got to truly mastering a game. I think I must of put about 20 days into it.

#47 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

I got everyone in here beat, except the guy who said he had 140 days of WoW:

According to Steam I have 1671 hours played of Football Manager 2010 (although in terms of hours spent playing since release, maybe the OP has me beat with his FM2012 time).

Football Manager is kind of a cheaty way of amassing huge game time though. It's such an undemanding, passively playable game. Many is the time I've realised that I had it open in the background for hours without touching it. And yeah, while it sounds boring, the Footie Man games are really kind of minor masterpieces of gaming in a way. There are a few great blog pieces which try to explain what's so great about it, including a very good 'Wot I Think' on RockPaperShotgun and not least this great blog series about a guy taking a small Italian team from obscurity to greatness. Something I've read people say about it, which sums up why it can be so engrossing, is the fact that in its own limited way it creates a world which is as believable as the deepest RPG, in terms of its interactivity.

But like I say, it's so easy to play without focussing on it that the game time stat feels cheap. Sinking 100 hours into FFX with a friend, to beat all the Dark Aeons and Penance, felt like much more of a feat and a chore than my time playing FM.

#48 Posted by _Mattallica (200 posts) -

If you added all the FIFA games together over the years it would definitely be that. The most in one game however would probably be San Andreas. Easily sunk 400 hours into so far and continue to play it a few times a month.

#49 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#50 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

PC Games: EverQuest and WoW definitely.

Console Games: Borderlands