• 143 results
#1 Posted by TranceQuina (149 posts) -

As a kid I played so much of Shatterhand on the NES, a kick-ass action/platformer with Megaman-style level selection, choices of playstyle, and all the good music. I feel like no one but me has ever played it.

If I got a second I might bust out Uniracers for the SNES, but I don't know how well it's aged.

So what game(s) would you show off?

#2 Edited by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

Is it part of the criteria that people don't really know about the game? Or is it just anything you think deserves preservation?

#3 Posted by TheRealMoot (382 posts) -

Def Jam Fight for New York.

I love this game to death for a no conceivable reason and will stop and play it at the drop of a hat. So dissecting it and breaking down why I actually love it would be a fun experiment now that I think about it. Also more people need to see it if they haven't. It is a wrestling game where you team up with Method Man and Red Man to take down Snoop Dogg and is underground fight club gang's so your fight club gang can be the best! Also it has Danny Trejo and Ice Tea in it...

#4 Edited by Hamst3r (4486 posts) -

Rocket Jockey.

It's a deathmatch game in which you fly around on rocket bikes with grappling hook launchers trying to pull your opponents off of their rocket bikes and slam them into the scenery. You can also make trip wires, or attach your opponents to random things by grappling between two objects. It's awesome. Also, the soundtrack is a bunch of Surf Rock music, featuring plenty of Dick Dale, which is fantastic.

#5 Posted by Nodima (1203 posts) -

Future Cop LAPD.

Mario's Time Machine.

Terranigma.

Bushido Blade.

#6 Edited by HatKing (5956 posts) -

Maybe something from the TimeSplitters series, probably 2. Those games were weirdly significant and popular for something that doesn't really get brought up in conversation too often. I'd love to highlight some of the really interesting bullshit in those games.

Otherwise, maybe War Of The Monsters for PS2. I have a soft spot for that game. I don't know how popular it is, but I loved it. Toy Commander for the Dreamcast was kind of important to me at the time. Robocop Versus Terminator for the Genesis because it's Robocop Versus Terminator, and also pretty terrible.

#7 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4525 posts) -

Snowboard Kids. No contest. I spent a frighteningly large amount of time with those games in my youth.

#8 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2388 posts) -

Glover. Very interesting game. Not good, mind, but interesting.

#9 Edited by hans_maulwurf (123 posts) -

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I really hope Patrick will do something with this game at some point.

#10 Edited by Tom_omb (401 posts) -

The Nintendo 64 era is clouded with a dreamy golden haze of nostalgia for me. I still have all my old games and play them from time to time. Many of them could make a great Bombastica, but I think I'd play Donkey Kong 64. A game I haven't revisited for a while, loved at the time and I've been thinking about lately. This was my favorite of the Rare platformers at the time, although Banjo Kazooie seems to get all the credit these days. It would be interesting to see how DK64 holds up.

#11 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (618 posts) -

Steambot Chronicles, super underrated game in the PS2s library that oozes charm out of it's pores and drowns you in it. Satisfying gameplay that stretches across multiple genres, and vast customization with a great cast of characters and game world. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

#12 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1103 posts) -

Def Jam Fight for New York.

I love this game to death for a no conceivable reason and will stop and play it at the drop of a hat. So dissecting it and breaking down why I actually love it would be a fun experiment now that I think about it. Also more people need to see it if they haven't. It is a wrestling game where you team up with Method Man and Red Man to take down Snoop Dogg and is underground fight club gang's so your fight club gang can be the best! Also it has Danny Trejo and Ice Tea in it...

Man, that game is so good.

I can't believe that a game exists that has Ice-T suplexing Snoop Dogg

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24856 posts) -

Hybrid Heaven. I may be one of only five people on the planet that actually played and liked the game, but it's such a uniquely bizarre action RPG that it really deserves some sort of recognition.

#14 Posted by EuanDewar (4944 posts) -

@nodima: they looked at future cop LAPD on an Unprofessional Fridays a while back I believe.

#15 Posted by Glottery (1280 posts) -

Glover. Very interesting game. Not good, mind, but interesting.

Oh wow...that brought up some ooooold memories. I sure recall it being interesting as well, think I played the demo multiple times.

As for my own suggestions, hmmh...Sacrifice, maybe? Discworld Noir, if only you wouldn't have to find a physical copy of the game for that. Perhaps GOG will dig it up one day...

#16 Posted by csl316 (8696 posts) -

Contra: Hard Corps. It's just madness popping off constantly. Everyone seems to know Contra III from the 16-bit era, but I always found HC a lot more fun.

#17 Edited by fisk0 (4129 posts) -

@nodima said:

Future Cop LAPD.

This, absolutely.

Probably also Forsaken (a blatant Descent clone, but great at what it is), Strife (kinda open-worldish FPS-RPG/adventure game using the Doom engine), Powerslave (pretty much the precursor to Serious Sam, old school FPS set in ancient space egypt), Cyberstrike 2 (MMO-Mech combat game from 1998 ... the original from 1993 also had much of this, but it could only be played through GEnie, which is long gone), Shadow President (pretty much like DEFCON, creepily detailed nuclear war strategy game, with some pretty deep political simulation in there, from 1993), Cyber-cop (pre-Wolfenstein 3D FPS for the Genesis, PC and Amiga, also known as Corporation) and Independence War: The Starship Simulator (space combat simulator featuring a relatively large starship, with four bridge stations and TNG Enterprise style saucer separation, instead of the small fighter craft in most other space games).

#18 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Beeeeeeetle addddvrntiijujjiuuuuuuuuuurrrreee racccccccciiiinnnnnggggggg

#19 Posted by fisk0 (4129 posts) -

@nodima: they looked at future cop LAPD on an Unprofessional Fridays a while back I believe.

They never got to show the proto-MOBA multiplayer mode in UPF though.

#20 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Wario's Woods on the SNES. Dozens of hours playing that, perhaps more. Dr Mario gets a lot of talk, Yoshi's Cookie comes up sometimes, but I never hear anyone singing the praises of Wario's Woods. Really cool puzzle game that has two lengthy single-player modes.

#21 Posted by neato (76 posts) -

Vectorman, General Chaos, Dynamite Headdy

#22 Posted by sub_o (899 posts) -

There's a crazy wealth of PSOne games that still remain untapped.

#23 Posted by BBAlpert (1477 posts) -

Ghost Master

Because it has some really clever and satisfying mechanics. More people should play Ghost Master.

#24 Posted by DeadpanCakes (914 posts) -

Power Stone 2, probably.

..Though, on second thought, that's probably not obscure enough.

#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -
#26 Posted by DoctorSage (158 posts) -

Easy, Spider-Man 2. I feel like people keep forgetting how legitimately great that game is.

#27 Edited by Andorski (5311 posts) -

Cruis'n USA (N64) and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (PC) come to mind. I was average at best in the RC series; I usually just played sandbox mode and had a blast doing so.

#28 Posted by RecSpec (3820 posts) -

Gitaroo Man.

#29 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

Metal Arms Glitch in the System.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (14844 posts) -

Well actually I was planning on making a Bootleg Bombastica for Bloodrayne. However....I can't get that to capture for shit. So guess that isn't happening.

#31 Edited by kerse (2114 posts) -

The Illusion of Gaia for the SNES, I loved this game as a kid. Its also, from what I remember, one of the weirder games I've ever played, but still really fun. I remember the music and dialogue creating this really mysterious world and story. Man I should play this game again.

#32 Posted by Willza92 (263 posts) -

Robocop vs Terminator on the Sega Megadrive. I remember having fun with it. Something a bit more modern might be Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis or The Battle for Middle Earth.

#33 Posted by Bane122 (790 posts) -

Batman on the NES. One of the absolute greatest NES games and easily in the same tier of games like Mario 3 and Megaman 2. It's aged extremely well, too.

#34 Posted by PeezMachine (235 posts) -

Headline Harry. It was on 3.5" and it was an adventure-ish game where you had to stop a rival newspaper from printing false stories about major historical events. Quite the gem.

#35 Posted by Bane122 (790 posts) -
@willza92 said:

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis

Now that's a great game, at least on PC. A friend of mine had a console version and it had a limit to how much fence you could erect, which is a real shame since it limited the size of your parks.

#36 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Most of the Humongous entertainment games from the late 90s-early 2000s. Not because they hold meaning to me, but because I don't think anyone played Pajama Sam 3 and I'd just want to see all the really weird stuff again.

#37 Posted by SomeguyJohnson (50 posts) -

Shadowrun for the genesis

#38 Edited by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

This game was pretty damn awesome back in the day. You could get out of the mechs and control a tiny dude, change mechs, it was pretty crazy.

Many an afternoon was spent playing the bananas vs. mode with friends. So goddamn good.

#39 Posted by Generic_username (612 posts) -

I would say the first Ace Attorney game, just because that game (and series, really) deserves to be remembered, but that game makes for a terrible video.

For those of you who think it's not old enough, maybe it's not, but the first game came out on GBA in Japan thirteen years ago, and on the DS in America nine years ago.

I just don't want the series to fade away with time when Capcom quits bringing them out here. (They already skipped one.)

#40 Posted by Nightriff (5088 posts) -

Eternal Darkness

#41 Posted by Hamborgini (27 posts) -

Armored Core: Project Phantasma. This is the game that added ranked arena battles to Armored Core, and every game in the series since (or at least until 5, which I haven't played yet) has been an iteration of this.

#42 Edited by wemibelec90 (1673 posts) -

While I don't feel it's the greatest game, I would probably choose Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for the SNES. A very simple, easy beat-em-up but easy to play through in an hour and features some KICK ASS music. One of my favorite memories from my early childhood (you know, before I found taste).

#43 Posted by Levius (1140 posts) -

I would do Psycho Pinball for the Mega Drive. It was a really cool early pinball game where you could switch between tables mid-game and never seems to get mentioned, even if the wierd platformer bits were terrible.

#44 Posted by JadeGL (872 posts) -

Deceptor for Commodore 64. I loved this game so much when I was a kid. It tapped into a few popular 80s gimmicks, most importantly the robot that transforms, in this case from a sled to a plane to a robot-man, but it wasn't just a knock off, it was done well. Combine that with some cool isometric graphics, which I had never seen before, and I was hooked.It's probably one of my most fondly remembered C64 games.

#46 Posted by FlipperDesert (2087 posts) -

I would choose God Hand. Apart from being a forgotten gem of a game (and also pretty much the topic of my first few hundred posts on this forum from what I remember) I consider it the Demon's Souls before Demon's Souls. On the face it's extremely hard and unforgiving, but the level of customization to the combat, enemies with weaknesses in their attacks and dumb (read: awesome) boss fights mean I need to go play God Hand right now oh God.

#47 Posted by johnbon (92 posts) -

Low G Man for the NES, Excellent game and great music

#48 Posted by SARRISS (146 posts) -

PHANTOM DUST!

There are still too many people who have never seen this game. If more people understood how awesome this game was maybe Microsoft would realistically greenlight a HD port or remake.

#49 Posted by Fattony12000 (7429 posts) -

#50 Posted by geirr (2575 posts) -

Any - game - EVER!