• 181 results
#1 Posted by Jeust (10861 posts) -

Which game can't you find any flaw with or think of anything you could make better? 

Personally I have to say: 

• Limbo - I disdained it when I heard how brief it was, but after I played it I think it has just about the right length.
  • Binding of Isaac - I'm completely satisfied with what the game provides.
  • Fable 3 - I loved the game, its simplicity, variety, its plot, everything.
  • Final Fantasy XII - I loved everything of the game, from the gameplay, to the story, everything is so fantastic in my books.
#2 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3998 posts) -

None ever.

@Jeust said:

WOW.

#3 Edited by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

Portal. That's pretty much the only one.

EDIT: Probably a good idea to qualify this by saying no game is perfect. You can poke holes in just about anything.

#4 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I don't think I could ever call any game perfect. But I'd definitely say that Dark Souls got damn close. Even then though I still see problems with the game.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads:

My reaction was toward FF12.

My response, naturally:

Look at how little fucks Sigurd's horse gives.
#6 Edited by Jeust (10861 posts) -
@Joeyoe31 said:

I don't think I could ever call any game perfect. But I'd definitely say that Dark Souls got damn close. Even then though I still see problems with the game.

I defined perfect by being unable to find fault with the game, although fault can be found by someone else, but to me those games are perfect. 

@ArtisanBreads said:

None ever.

@Jeust said:

WOW.

Yeah. I loved some of the twists, I loved the overpowered final spells, beautiful graphically, yet simpler than in Fable 2, and I did love the revolt and reign plot. 
#7 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3998 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

None ever.

@Jeust said:

WOW.

Yeah. I loved some of the twists, I loved the overpowered final spells, beautiful graphically, yet simpler than in Fable 2, and I did love the revolt and reign plot.

I guess fair enough man. One of my most disappointing games of all time. I think Fable 2 is better in every way and that game itself is far from perfect.

But again, you're talking to someone who would say no game has ever been perfect.

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4850 posts) -

No such thing. Even my top 3 games of all time have some serious and glaring flaws.

I guess that even if they aren't personal favorites. But games with a perfectly executed vision, even if that vision is lacking in creativity or imagination, might be the closest you can get. That would likely mean games like Starcraft, Street Fighter or other simlarily well balanced and executed games.

#9 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I can't think of any game that I can't find a fault with. The closest that could come to mind are games where the narrative is the main focus, so the Ace Attorney series is probably the closest for me.

#10 Posted by Jeust (10861 posts) -
@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jeust said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

None ever.

@Jeust said:

WOW.

I guess fair enough man. One of my most disappointing games of all time. I think Fable 2 is better in every way and that game itself is far from perfect.

But again, you're talking to someone who would say no game has ever been perfect.

I didn't like much Fable 2 actually. 

I never said any game is perfect, I only said that i can't find fault with them.
#11 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3998 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jeust said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

None ever.

@Jeust said:

WOW.

I didn't like much Fable 2 actually. I never said any game is perfect, I only said that i can't find fault with them.

Well I don't get at all how you wouldn't like 2.... and that's the exact definition of perfect.

#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

obviously no game is perfect, but there are some games where the good parts are so good, that I can overlook any flaw.

for example:

-Persona 3:FES. I can't remember a single bad moment spent with this game. Even when I decided to go back about 5 hours to grind before the final boss. Not a perfect game, definitely a perfect experience.

-Deus Ex. The graphics look like dick by today's standards and the shooting was probably never any good to begin with... I can forgive all of those issues though because few other games are as absorbing and compelling. Taking on countless secret organizations and government conspiracies in a dark, oppressive world is some good fun. No game since has really matched the atmosphere of Deus Ex.

-Morrowind. Basically the same situation as Deus Ex. mediocre gameplay, excellent lore and a bizarre but compelling world to explore.

#13 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

Chess.

Everything else I have ever played has room for improvement.

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5370 posts) -

Dark Souls is the closest but the online part sucks for the most part. You honestly think the map and way that fable 3 handled the menus couldn't be improved upon? Or the way the golden objective trail would randomly break? No game is perfect but fable 3 isn't even great.

#15 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

I'm afraid nothing is perfect in video games but if I was to pick a game that I have a hard time talking bad about then it would be Super Mario Bros 3.

#16 Posted by believer258 (12209 posts) -

None. Even my beloved Super Metroid has a room in Maridia that I always find kinda frustrating to get through.

#17 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

To me perfection would be playing a game and not feeling frustrated at any point or that the game is making me grind as a pointless time sync. I have never found a game that did that. There's always some part of a game that is a bitch to slog through or frustrating to play. The games that did that the least for me would have to be Vanguard Bandits, Front Mission 3, Command and Conquer 95, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Command and Conquer Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge, Left for Dead 1/2. They each had some mission or some little quirk that annoyed me to no end when I had to come to that point, but it was a tiny blip compared to the rest of the game that I loved and felt like perfect.

#18 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -
#19 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Cold_Wolven said:

I'm afraid nothing is perfect in video games but if I was to pick a game that I have a hard time talking bad about then it would be Super Mario Bros 3.

My post from another forum:

"And SMB3 is not perfect. I's riddled with stupid minigames like the slot machines, memory (which you have to keep remembering the entire game, or write down), and the card thing at the end of each level. Gimmicky powerups like the hammer. (and the devs spam rocks all over the map so you waste your hammer) Things like starman only work for the first 5 or so seconds of the level. Overall the levels are extremely short and the game feels too much like a skill test. There are also scrolling stages. (i.e. the airships) But if you like SMB3 that's cool too, I don't want to ruin it for you."

end quote xD

#20 Posted by Danteveli (1205 posts) -

Nothing comes to my mind Silent Hill 2 and Fallout 2 were pretty close but game with no flaws just does not exist.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Chess.

I think the Knight is a dick. I have always been of the opinion that it should only be allowed to move in a 7 shape instead of an L. Also, pawns need a major buff and queens need a nerf so badly its not even funny. The queen is so OP that once she hits the board it's automatic game over.

#22 Posted by TobbRobb (4850 posts) -

@laserbolts: Maaaan. Dark Souls is probably one of, if not my favorite game of all time. But that thing has soooooo many issues. Calling it perfect just sounds crazy.

#23 Posted by twhalen (126 posts) -

I know that no game could really be called perfect, but a few of my personal favorites immediately came to mind: System Shock, Diablo, and Quake III. Each of them has such focus on exactly what kind of game it wants to be, and I really can't find any glaring problems in them. Especially Quake III, which was/is the perfect deathmatch experience and probably id at their best.

#24 Posted by JZ (2120 posts) -

All of them

#25 Posted by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Chess.

White goes first. Also, I would argue Go is even more perfect than Chess. But again, white goes first. Go is argued by many game scholars to be the best game of all time. It is incredibly simple to learn but takes a lifetime to master. It is perfectly balanced in every way except for its sole flaw that white always goes first. Since Go isn't perfect there simply can't be a perfect game.

That said I would list four video games as coming as close to perfection as I could imagine

- Braid - Closest to perfection. Outside of a couple unfair puzzles there is no flaw. 10/10 for me.

- Half Life 2 - At the time of release I would argue that due to the technical limitations of the time the game was about as perfect as I could imagine. Like most games where tech is a major factor, though, certain elements of the physics engine as well as the constant loading means that today the game is only a 9.5/10.

- Portal - Again, outside of the load times I would call the game pretty flawless in its execution. That said, the improvements in the second game prove that the first game wasn't perfect as perfection can't be improved on.

- Journey - In all honesty I can't think of a single flaw in this game other than the fact that you can't turn the motion controls off so the camera sometimes will pan when you don't want it to. It and Braid are my two 10/10 games. Portal and Half Life 2 are the 9.9's.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8559 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics WotL

Final Fantasy IX

Metal Gear Solid 2

Starcraft 2 WoL

Earthbound

Of course nobody's perfect but I can't think of a single thing I would have changed about any of these games.

#27 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jeust said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jeust said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

None ever.

@Jeust said:

WOW.

I didn't like much Fable 2 actually. I never said any game is perfect, I only said that i can't find fault with them.

Well I don't get at all how you wouldn't like 2.... and that's the exact definition of perfect.

I'm having trouble believing that to define perfect would mean that you cannot find a flaw for the game. I personally can't find a flaw for Portal or Portal 2. Does that make the games perfect? Hell no. There's always things that can make them perfect'er right? So if they can be improved upon, then they can't already be perfect right? Then at some point you're just going to get bored with the game. Wouldn't a perfect game allow you to never be bored? I'm probably thinking too hard about what perfect means though. I've always been the kind of person who thinks there'll always be something better out there. I'd imagine if I found something perfect then there'd be nothing better.

Having said that, the only think that I think has gotten close to perfection is Minecraft. The only thing it was missing for me was having not stupid block voxel rendered graphics. It's novel sure, but come on, give me something more realistic. I'd get to those scenic views that look good in blocks, but I always end up thinking, "Man, I bet this would be so much more amazing if the game had non blocky graphics".

#29 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

Persona 4, can't think of any flaws on that game in a sense that it probably nailed everything it was going for.

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3088 posts) -

No game is perfect. All of my favorite games are flawed in some way.

#31 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Raven10 said:

@Branthog said:

Chess.

White goes first. Also, I would argue Go is even more perfect than Chess. But again, white goes first. Go is argued by many game scholars to be the best game of all time. It is incredibly simple to learn but takes a lifetime to master. It is perfectly balanced in every way except for its sole flaw that white always goes first. Since Go isn't perfect there simply can't be a perfect game.

That said I would list four video games as coming as close to perfection as I could imagine

- Braid - Closest to perfection. Outside of a couple unfair puzzles there is no flaw. 10/10 for me.

- Half Life 2 - At the time of release I would argue that due to the technical limitations of the time the game was about as perfect as I could imagine. Like most games where tech is a major factor, though, certain elements of the physics engine as well as the constant loading means that today the game is only a 9.5/10.

- Portal - Again, outside of the load times I would call the game pretty flawless in its execution. That said, the improvements in the second game prove that the first game wasn't perfect as perfection can't be improved on.

- Journey - In all honesty I can't think of a single flaw in this game other than the fact that you can't turn the motion controls off so the camera sometimes will pan when you don't want it to. It and Braid are my two 10/10 games. Portal and Half Life 2 are the 9.9's.

Yeah, I was going to mention Go, but I'm not a smart enough player to really have a clue just how deep and intricate it is (or flawed). :)

#32 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

obviously no game is perfect, but there are some games where the good parts are so good, that I can overlook any flaw.

for example:

-Persona 3:FES. I can't remember a single bad moment spent with this game. Even when I decided to go back about 5 hours to grind before the final boss. Not a perfect game, definitely a perfect experience.

-Deus Ex. The graphics look like dick by today's standards and the shooting was probably never any good to begin with... I can forgive all of those issues though because few other games are as absorbing and compelling. Taking on countless secret organizations and government conspiracies in a dark, oppressive world is some good fun. No game since has really matched the atmosphere of Deus Ex.

-Morrowind. Basically the same situation as Deus Ex. mediocre gameplay, excellent lore and a bizarre but compelling world to explore.

Regarding Deus Ex, your graphics argument is pretty pointless because of course a game 13-14 years old is going to look terrible by today's standards... I'm not sure why you even brought that up, the graphics were great by the standards of games at the time. As for shooting, it's an RPG. You're supposed to level up your abilities with weapons and when you do, towards endgame, shooting is perfect. I guess if you call it a FPS then yeah, shooting is bad, but it's not an FPS, it's an RPG.

Also, Deus Ex, even though it was my favorite single player game of all time, I would personally take the atmosphere of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series over Deus Ex.

As for my perfect games, Deus Ex would be one, Half Life would be another (although that's mainly just for singleplayer, some strange bugs really become apparent playing online with mods), and Chrono Trigger. Not many, but I think there have been a couple.

#33 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

I guess Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the closest thing to perfect. It's not my favorite game, but I find the world compelling, the characters interesting, the story engaging, the ethical questions important, and the gameplay phenomenal. And I don't think I encountered any bugs.

#34 Posted by bananaz (259 posts) -

Portal

Left 4 Dead (after the jesus-ledge patch, technically)

Batman: Arkham Asylum

#35 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Final Fantasy III (VI)

Super Mario Bros 3

Tetris

Everything else doesn't even come close

#36 Posted by Feanor (1391 posts) -

@Raven10: In chess White does have a 5% higher win rate, but in high level play it doesn't factor as much. If both sides play perfectly the game will always end in a draw, and in most cases the more skilled player will win, it will just take longer if you are playing black.

Also I'm not sure if Journey even qualifies as a game since you cannot lose.

#37 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Portal 2.

#38 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

There is, but it hasn't been released yet. But don't worry! It's a launch title for the Playetation 5!

It's Final Fantasy Versus XIII

#39 Posted by C2C (861 posts) -

If we are going to limit it to the video game realm, the original Tetris is my choice.

Overall though it is probably between Chess and Go.

#40 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

No games is perfect.... yada... yada... yada...

I would also probably say Dark Souls is at the top of my list. I'm not even saying its my favorite game but as far as having a vision of what you want your game to be and applying a laser focus to it, yeah I think Dark Souls is one hell of a well designed game.

Also, Batman: Arkham City is right there for me too. I know quite a few people liked Asylum better but for me City got everything right with little to no flaws.

Honorable mention would go to MK9. I just loved the total package I got being an old school MK fan that hasn't been interested in fighting games in over a decade. NetherRealm nailed the cheesy storyline by taking it self just the right amount of serious, the character design was perfect, I loved the fighting system, and the game just had so much content.

I realize my list probably fits better under "What do you think are the best designed games" or "What games were you completely satisfied with" but I can't objectively say any game I've played in my 25 years of gaming is flawless. Oh, and I also stuck with current gen games too because trying to itemize other gens would make my brain hurt.

#41 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

Portal

#42 Posted by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

The Secret of Monkey Island

#43 Posted by Pr1mus (3952 posts) -

Portal 1 and 2.

#44 Posted by BeachThunder (12439 posts) -

If I had to pick one, it would be Braid.

Although, that one secret area that involves waiting for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time; and that one puzzle piece that you can irrevocably miss :(

#45 Edited by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

@Coombs said:

Final Fantasy III (VI)

Super Mario Bros 3

Tetris

Everything else doesn't even come close

The best list I've seen if I'm trying to stick to topic. Tetris being the exception, I enjoyed it but would always eventually find it boring. FFIII will always go down as my favorite game of all time though (yes, I realize that statement is highly influenced by nostalgia)

#46 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

None. However, if it hadn't locked up on me twice, I would probably answer Arkham Asylum.

#47 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@carnifexseverian: I agree about Tetris, But besides it becoming boring I really can't think of anything that could be changed that wouldn't ruin it

#48 Posted by johncallahan (620 posts) -

It's been said a lot, but there is no game that's perfect. If we are to go by your definition though, I think the closest I can think of is Super Mario World.

#49 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

This is all entirely objective.

#50 Edited by xyzygy (10079 posts) -
  • Dead Space 2
  • Alan Wake
  • FFXIII
  • Mass Effect 1
  • MGS2
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Morrowind
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Castlevania LoS
  • Castlevania CotM
  • Batman: AA and AC (They are both equally perfect)
  • Megaman V (the GB one, not 5)
  • Demon's and Dark Souls
  • Megaman X
  • The Witcher 2
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Otogi: MoD
  • JSRF
  • Metroid Prime (This is the ultimate though)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • The Last Story
  • A Link to the Past

@Video_Game_King said:

Look at how little fucks Sigurd's horse gives.

@ArtisanBreads:

My reaction was toward FF12.

My response, naturally:

This box art is simply stunning. I wish they would release stuff life this more often. It gives off a really sad, uncomfortable feeling, like a painting.