#1 Posted by DoubleKR (95 posts) -

So I play lots of games and my girlfriend wants to play with me, but she is not that great w/ a dual stick game.

Obvious choices are platformers, racing games, and adventure games. I'm sure many of you have tackled this issue. The question is what game, or games, specifically are good co-op games for beginners? Do I jump into a game I like and bring her along while slowing the pace? Or do I go out and a game just for us to play together?

I've heard some friends say Borderlands and Rayman is good, but I'd love to here some games you guys would recommend.

#2 Posted by KirillOrlov (209 posts) -

So my suggestions are single player games but played together. So preferably games you haven't beat. In our house we've played through Braid, Fez(still playing), Limbo, The Walking Dead, among others. Co-op wise we've played through both Little Big Planets and had tons of fun. Not to mention her getting mad when I would grapple her character and she would flip out cuz we were to heavy for a jump. She doesn't game much. Also she got obsessed with Papers Please.

#3 Edited by GiantLizardKing (243 posts) -

I really liked playing Braid and Limbo with my wife when we were still dating. The 2D side scrolling mechanic was familiar enough and the puzzle solving and adult tone of both games seemed to click for her.

I'm not sure about Borderlands. That's a pretty video game-ass video game. I'd start out with something a little more familiar or party-centric.

#4 Posted by Gatehouse (571 posts) -

Hey duder, I'm just about to start going into that territory myself, so I'd be interested about hearing what results you get.

I would definitely suggest some Rayman, those games are made for fun co-op, and they're so damn charming that I find it impossible for anyone to not like it.

What platforms are you working with? Because this is something that it seems like Nintendo do better than anybody else.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

When I just started to date my girlfriend she had no interest in playin any games simply because if the controller, which sounds like your situation. I would avoid most games that have a camera control, start with somethin like Rayman or the cave. I actually played through most if the Lego games with my girlfriend which is nice because they are fun games to play and there is really no penalty for death whatsoever. You just gotta kinda be patient and let them get used to using a controller. My girlfriend has gone from playing only Lego games to playing games like red dead redemption and assassins creed

#6 Posted by KirillOrlov (209 posts) -

@giantlizardking: That's exactly why we loved Limbo and Braid. Plus it's weirdly entertaining seeing a loved one get so frustrated with Braid.

#7 Edited by DoubleKR (95 posts) -

I let her mess around in Saint Row 4 and she loved that. She liked watching Last of Us. I'm going to grab Rayman I think.

#8 Edited by KirillOrlov (209 posts) -

@doublekr: sounds like she likes them action games. Good for her, because my fiancé wouldn't watch me play Sleepy Daaaawgs!

#9 Posted by JadeGL (698 posts) -

As a wife who co-ops with her husband, I'll throw out some easier games (not difficulty wise, but controls wise) that we have tackled together -

• Castle Crashers
  • Rayman Origins
  • Any beat-em-up remake on PS3 or XBox Live (TMNT Turtles in Time, etc)
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
  • Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed (fun cart game, I had more fun with it than the last Mario Kart)
  • Any Rockband game (easy mode is really easy to pick up and you can always play harder modes)
  • The Walking Dead (we played each chapter with one person being the guide/helper and the other with the controls, he did 1,3,5 and I did 2,4 and 400 Days)

We also play Borderlands, Halo, Gears of War and other games together, but I am pretty capable with most control schemes after years of playing games. I didn't start off that way though! I had to adapt from playing Quake III and Doom on PC to the XBox controller and I wasn't an overnight success. I remember struggling with the first Halo, but I was playing co-op so I had a helping hand.

The great thing about Gears of War (I know this is a feature in later games) is that you can play on different difficulty levels in co-op so if she wants to expand and learn more about controlling games with dual sticks like a shooter, that may be an okay starting point.

I know there are more, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

#10 Posted by DoubleKR (95 posts) -

I downloaded that Oddworld game that Sony for Plus members and she played it for at least an hour. It's too bad there aren't many more 3D platformers like that.

#11 Posted by joshwent (2047 posts) -

hide the sausage

#12 Edited by CoinMatze (469 posts) -

We had a lot of fun playing Monaco. I think it's way more fun to play that game with beginners. We made it through insane fuckups that we shouldn't have survived. She also really enjoyed playing that Guardian of Light Tomb Raider.

#13 Edited by Video_Game_King (35803 posts) -

Cathouse Blues.

#14 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -
#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Any/all of the Lego games. I'd probably recommend Harry Potter and Batman 2 the most though.

Really simple to play, but there's enough depth to keep more serious gamers entertained. Especially if you're amused by smashing things and like to unlock crazy amounts of content.

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The Last of Us. all of it.

#17 Edited by Jimbo (9770 posts) -

Hide the Sausage. all of it.

#18 Posted by billymagnum (711 posts) -

play spin the butthole

#19 Posted by hippocrit (230 posts) -

My wife got CRAZY when we played Pac-man championship edition DX. That was super fun to watch.

#20 Posted by Imst (61 posts) -

play spin the butthole

LOL....can you tell us how to play it???hahahahah

#21 Posted by billymagnum (711 posts) -

@imst said:

@billymagnum said:

play spin the butthole

LOL....can you tell us how to play it???hahahahah

no no no
i have to SHOW you

#22 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Re4 I hear is a good one to play with your girlfriend.

#23 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

The Lego games...low stress casual fun for er'body.

#24 Edited by Glottery (1100 posts) -

A bit on the same topic, but I sometimes find it really silly (in lack of a better term) to play games when my better half's in the same room. To be more specific, games where the main character constantly groants/grunts/moans for whatever reason (punching, getting punched/shot, jumping, climbing and all that crap). Having played games much of my life, I'm already used to it, but I can easily imagine someone not so invested with games being as amused/annyoned with that as she sometimes seems to be.

Aaaanyway...we still haven't found the perfect (console) game to play together, as she tends to have trouble with them controllers. That's a bigger problem with fast-paced first-person games, of course, we've managed nicely with games like Portal 2, that's a bit more relaxed. Then there's a good handful of platformers we've also managed to have fun with...also Resident Evil 5, even if it took us nearly two years to get through! Still have Resident Evil 6 waiting to be unwrapped...

#25 Posted by MaxMikado (51 posts) -

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, available on both XBL and PSN.

For being an update of an older game, the gameplay holds up remarkably well. The original PS1 version was what convinced my oldest brother that his then-girlfriend was The One. She would play it with us whenever she came over. They were married a few years later and are still together to this day.

The couple that games together, stays together!

#26 Posted by MB (11886 posts) -

I can't believe no one has linked to this concept yet....Asymmetric Co-op aka girlfriend mode.

At any rate...how about some good old Machinarium?

#27 Posted by sixnahalf (50 posts) -

try beach volleyball me and my girlfriend always play this one she likes it because she's a volleyball player and always beats me.

#28 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

Soul Calibur series, easy button mashing design and the power fantasy girl designs are dumb fun.

#29 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

Call of Duty.

#30 Posted by Chrjz (317 posts) -

My girlfriend enjoys Mario Party. We've been playing 4 for the GameCube (on a PC with 360 controllers)... She also really likes Blur, or any racing game...

#31 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

Saints Row 2/3/4, TF2, Borderlands 1/2, MMO of your choice.

#32 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I think Little Big Planet, Rayman Origins and New Super Mario Brother (Wii or U) would be some great choices.

#33 Posted by dkessler175 (71 posts) -

Ilo Milo

Fez

Thomas was alone

unfinished swan

#34 Posted by Zuljin (32 posts) -

My girl really enjoyed Pixel Junk - Monsters & Eden, might be worth a shout.

#35 Edited by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

I played Ghost Trick with an ex rather successfully, but she got super upset when the dog got shot.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (14513 posts) -

Break out the classics like "Rapelay" and "Sexy Beach Zero" chicks dig that stuff.

#37 Edited by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

Rockband 1-3

Diablo III

GTA:Online

These are the games I used to play with my wife. Until I found out she became a online lesbian in GTA:Online. No lie, last night I caught her with her English girlfriend playing GTA:Online getting drunk at this limey girl's apartment. Will she play the game with me? Hell no.

You know what fuck playing games with girls now that I think about it. They is all bitches

#38 Posted by Jose_NAMEK (1 posts) -

#39 Posted by RVonE (4601 posts) -

Single-player games can work, like others have suggested. My girlfriend was really into The Last of Us when I played it and back in the day she also enjoyed watching RE4.

At any rate, as for playing together, my girlfriend has always been really into Age of Empires II. She kicks my ass in it. So maybe a fun RTS or perhaps even try a Turn-based game? She also enjoys playing adventure games which can be a kind of coop experience, I guess. For example, she absolutely loved Machinarium.

Oh and back when we were younger, she played through all of Kingdom Hearts, which can get hard later on. I think it's about the appeal of the game rather than not requiring a lot of skill. Find out what games appeal to her and why.

#40 Posted by Gusiah2015 (12 posts) -

My wife and I play a lot of LAN PC games so if you've got 2 PCs set up:

Trine 1,2

Orcs Must Die 1,2

Path of Exile, Titan quest, Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 all scratch that loot grinding itch

Supreme Commander 2 and Settlers 7 are good for coop comp stomps or vs if you're both into strategy.

#41 Edited by Jesus_Phish (581 posts) -

Trine 2, Terraria, Starbound, Saints Row 3 and 4. Girlfriend and I have had great fun with all those.

#42 Edited by Psygo (1 posts) -

my girlfriend seems to like Spiral Knights quite a bit, and Warframe.

When we played LBP2 she was laughing her ass off all the way through the game till we completed it.

not sure what else we can play though. :(

#43 Posted by Traiana (8 posts) -

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is great fun in co-op. We also enjoyed The Cave and Awesomenauts.

#44 Edited by Musai (50 posts) -

It really depends on what her likes are, OP. If you're looking for stuff for someone who's not really into games, narrative driven is always a good bet, something like Telltale's Walking Dead Yeah, it kind of becomes a backseat gaming thing, but that can sometimes be what a beginner needs to start trying things on their own. No one mentioned Beyond yet, it has an excellent co-op component that works with a tablet. Just play it by ear and go from there.

#45 Posted by SomeJerk (3130 posts) -

SOLITAIRE.

#46 Edited by DylanGW (130 posts) -

If she's a beginner at games you'll probably want to start with games that don't require using dual analog sticks. That means 2-D platformers - I recommend Kirby's Epic Yarn and New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. If she gets good at these types of games you can move onto Rayman Origins/Legends and Donkey Kong Country Returns which are much more difficult. I remember Patrick Klepeks girlfriend had trouble with Rayman. There's also Little Big Planet 1 & 2 - but I don't like those games; I hate the floaty jumping mechanic. If you have a Wii U then you can play Super Mario 3D World - but I doubt you have a Wii U.

The Lego games are also simple fun in co-op and you can pick whichever one she likes based on the licence - Star Wars, Batman, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones. They're all easy and of a similar quality. A fun party game you might want to try is Boom Blox. A lot of the games I've listed are for the Wii; if you don't have a Wii your options will be much more limited.

She may also enjoy helping you play adventure games like Broken Age or Zack & Wiki; or watching the narrative parts of Walking Dead, L.A Noire, Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.

If she can play games with dual analog controls then there's Borderlands, Portal 2, Gears of War and Halo; but I don't consider them to be beginner games.

#47 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@doublekr said:

So I play lots of games and my girlfriend wants to play with me, but she is not that great w/ a dual stick game.

Obvious choices are platformers, racing games, and adventure games. I'm sure many of you have tackled this issue. The question is what game, or games, specifically are good co-op games for beginners? Do I jump into a game I like and bring her along while slowing the pace? Or do I go out and a game just for us to play together?

I've heard some friends say Borderlands and Rayman is good, but I'd love to here some games you guys would recommend.

Beyond Two Souls

#48 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@doublekr said:

If she doesn't have the motor skills to use a dual joystick controller you better hope she can play a pc game with an M&K or get used to playing adventure games and doing what she says in them.

#49 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Euro Truck Simulator

#50 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

You'll never know who is the savant Nidhogg player until you try.