• 54 results
AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather

Which games do you think pushed games in general forward and has characterized this generation?

1. Gears of War -purely for graphics, going from ps2 to Gears of war was a GIANT leap that blew my mind

2. Bioshock - Story and Art, being for sophisticated than most artsy movies being made today.

3. RDR - Story, great ending.

4. Braid - Art in motion, and best Ending Ever in all media.

5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Shooters set in contemporary times has become its own genre and has made more money than all the other games.

what do you guys think what games do you think define this generation?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

[insert critically acclaimed video game title here]

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fuck you, that game sucked!

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Angry Birds

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yea, that sums up gaming in general.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

1. GOW, Uncharted, Mass Effect(A third person shooter)

2. Modern Warfare, Duke Nukem(pushing the limits )

3. Mass Effect, Fallout, Bioshock(Morality)( that was this gen right? )

4. Bastion, Zombie Atom Smasher, Altitude (Indy Games)

5. Left For Dead, Dead Rising, Resident Evil(Zombies )

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Deleth

Some kind of Japanese eroge! "No! Don't put that tentacle there!"

Edit, oh yeah TE. Mentioning CoD 4 and Gears of War in general disqualifies you from any kind of discussion about video games. And the Braid ending wasn't that great at all.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten
@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

As if [insert other critically acclaimed video game title here] was any better! 
jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jjnen

Can't we wait at least until the next gen begins before talking about stuff like this? It's kinda hard to talk retrospectively about games that came out last month.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AiurFlux

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - I hate this fact too, but there is a reason that every single goddamn thing copies it. For better and worse.

2. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Face it. When you exited the sewer you literally said "Wow." It is the reason why Fallout 3, NV, and Skyrim are what they are. Yeah you can tie it back to Morrowind if you want, but fuck that. Morrowind is to good for this list.

3. Bioshock - No words needed. I'd put it higher, but the other two have defined things more as far as I'm concerned.

4. Mass Effect - Dialog wheels. Revolutionary.

5. Uncharted 2 - Uncharted 1 was fine. Uncharted 2 is the reason why we know Nolan North as Nolan North. Why we love Nolan North. Why we want Nolan North. Also probably why Nolan North ends up talking to Nolan North in video games where Nolan North is featured, just because Nolan North doesn't give a fuck.

Yup. I'm pretty confident in that. And it's at least nice to see that three are new IP's, but also sad that the first one is from a series that's been milked beyond any reasonable comprehension.

EDIT: Well shit. Now I feel stupid for posting a serious reply. Fuck you guys! >:(

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack268

Gears of War started it all off with the cover based shooting which was a relatively new concept and the glorious Unreal Engine 3 graphics.  

Fallout 3 was a DLC machine. 

Call of Duty 4 blew online gaming on the console up to even more enormous proportions than before. 

And I think that's what defines this generation. Graphics, DLC and online play. 

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By matoya

God Hand. All generations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Call of Duty 4 changed what online multiplayer is. I don't care for Call of Duty, but that game is one of the 4 most important games released this decade from an industry perspective.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

Wii Sports - Motion Controls

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By icicle7x3

Wii Sports and Call of Duty 4

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ruiner

I don't think particular games define a generation based on individual good points. It's more how that game defines the industry and changes the way people play and the way people buy.

Gears of War - The Gears Series I think is totally valid simply because it legitimized third person, cover-based combat in a way that made everyone in that genre try to be like Gears.

Call of Duty - a series that prompted a mainstream boom in both sales and publicity unseen since Pokemon. Also, any FPS that followed did it's best to be as much like COD as possible.

Street Fighter 4 - Just like it did in the 80's, Street Fighter prompted a resurgence of 2D fighting games (beyond the hardcore EVO crowd anyway) that made games like MVC 3 and the new MK possible and lucrative.

Batman Arkham Asylum - The fantastic game absolutely no one saw coming that made people look at a licensed game in a way the few games have ever before.

Skyrim - Bethesda has always made great games, but Skyrim marks a watershed moment in the companies "vision" of the open world rpg.

Uncharted - Years from now, when people think of the PS3, they will think of the Uncharted series in much the same way people think Crash Bandicoot when they think of PS1.

Wii Sports - let's face it..this generation birthed, nurtured, and ultimately abandoned the motion-contolled minigame collection. And this is the OG....

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By moncole

Kirby Epic Yarn - Proving a game doesn't have to be 720p to look great

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Video_Game_King said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Nah. Just the enthusiast crowd.

No, the correct answers are [Insert artsy indie games with touchy-feely navel gazing]

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By breadfan

Farmville.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By gunharp

iOS

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fozimuth

Team Fortress 2. Still pretty much the best multiplayer FPS on PC, still getting updates. Although for a year it consistently almost entirely of dumping minimally-tested community weapons and hats onto people.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By swfcfan

Wii sports - motion gaming

Little big planet - create and share

MW2 - "hardcore online gamer crowd"

Halo 4 / Killzone 3 - Sequels

Justdance - Standing infront of a TV with no controller ;)

Rockband - DLC

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AnimalFather

@The_Ruiner said:

I don't think particular games define a generation based on individual good points. It's more how that game defines the industry and changes the way people play and the way people buy.

Gears of War - The Gears Series I think is totally valid simply because it legitimized third person, cover-based combat in a way that made everyone in that genre try to be like Gears.

Call of Duty - a series that prompted a mainstream boom in both sales and publicity unseen since Pokemon. Also, any FPS that followed did it's best to be as much like COD as possible.

Street Fighter 4 - Just like it did in the 80's, Street Fighter prompted a resurgence of 2D fighting games (beyond the hardcore EVO crowd anyway) that made games like MVC 3 and the new MK possible and lucrative.

Batman Arkham Asylum - The fantastic game absolutely no one saw coming that made people look at a licensed game in a way the few games have ever before.

Skyrim - Bethesda has always made great games, but Skyrim marks a watershed moment in the companies "vision" of the open world rpg.

Uncharted - Years from now, when people think of the PS3, they will think of the Uncharted series in much the same way people think Crash Bandicoot when they think of PS1.

Wii Sports - let's face it..this generation birthed, nurtured, and ultimately abandoned the motion-contolled minigame collection. And this is the OG....

excellent post would rep you if this forum allowed it.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AnimalFather

oh and the previous poster said Rockband which is true the whole music plastic toy revolution, but just like motion controller it has also died out.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cookiemonster

Call of duty 4. It brought gaming to the mainstream.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By plaintomato

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'd have to disagree, most of the best games of this generation didn't define the generation.

Gears of War - Cover systems

Call of Duty - Multiplayer formula

Oblivion - Downloadable crap (can you say "Horse Armor")

Wii Sports - Motion crap

WoW - Constant flow of MMO crap

Angry Birds - Portable crap

Farmville - Social crap

None of these are personal favorites of mine, well Oblivion and MW2 were at some time or other, but more than half of them I actually loathe. I'd much rather say Portal or Demon's Souls, but the crap I listed is what defined this generation as seen by their imitation and implementation across gaming. Most of the best games of the current gen either started last gen, improved upon concepts related to the games on this list, or weren't imitated enough to be considered defining.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#27  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

No matter how much I like Bioshock I don't think it defined this generation any way, first, pretty much everything it did was done in the System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex games before it, and apart from Singularity, no other games have really tried to copy it either, unlike Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War, which whether you like it or not became the archetypes for their respective genres during the past 5 years.

I suppose Bethesda's RPG's (Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim) deserve mention as they did help revitalising the western RPG's (with help from BioWare) and popularize the FPS/RPG hybrid resulting in stuff like Borderlands and Dead Island. As someone else said, it's way too early to really say what had the most significant influense on this generation though.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kishan6

@Video_Game_King said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

This

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eminenssi

One thing I think that was hot topic this generation has been the open world - cinematic experience juxtaposition. We've kinda had 2 formulas going on hot, with few games setting the example fairly early in the generation.

a) The full on single player (RPG) experience with huge explorable sanbox world. Examples. TES: Oblivion and Dead Rising.

*Note: I'm not saying these were the first of their kind, but they set the tone.

b) The multiplayer experience with emphasis on constant leveling up, with singeplayer being a fairly linear thrill ride. COD4: MW and GoW.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By alexpiercey

Call of Duty 4 - I don't like it, but I can certainly understand the impact it's had.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

Let's have this conversation two generations from now so that we know what actually defines this generation, m'kay? I certainly wouldn't have thought JRPGs, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, and Halo 2 would be the games that ultimately defined the last generation, and until next generation I won't even be sure those would be the games.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Black_Rose

@Claude said:

Wii Sports - Motion Controls

Pretty much.

Also, whatever game started the "revival" of 2D platformers.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SuperCycle

It's really hard to tell, I don't think you can really define a generation until it's been over for a couple of years. We are currently still in this generation of consoles, but I think in the last 6 years or so there have been games across many different platforms that have had a huge impact on the gaming community. I think Call of Duty 4 would probably be at the top of that list. Probably followed by something like Angry Birds both of these titles have been hugely successful on their respective platforms. Other than that I couldn't really tell. I seem to think that this generation had a abundance of morality driven games like Bioshock, or Infamous but I don't know if either of those are generation defining. I think above all else Multiplayer is what defined this generation, with the Playstation 2 and the Xbox Multiplayer wasn't nearly as prominent as it is today.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JonSmith

If I say Halo, is someone going to try and kill me?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

My notbook

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sungahymn

@JonSmith said:

If I say Halo, is someone going to try and kill me?

I don't doubt it.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By zameer

I'll look back on this generation fondly, but I think what really had the most profound impact was the rise of iOS/Steam/XBLA/PSN indie titles.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Dany

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Nah. Just the enthusiast crowd.

No, the correct answers are [Insert artsy indie games with touchy-feely navel gazing]

Ugh, hipsters.

Hypertreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Hypertreb

The entire Indie gaming scene for me. That's something that only started getting real attention from the major companies this generation.

As for big games, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Mario Galaxy and Skyrim all had a pretty big impact.

Mister_Avatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mister_Avatar

Disclaimer: Many of the games on my list are not necessarily games I consider good. To qualify for this list the game simply needed to push the business or the craft of video games forward. While I may love games like Skyrim and Bioshock they're really just evolutions of Arena and System Shock and thus don't make my list. Games like Starcraft 2 make it not because of the Iterative nature but for it's contributions for e-sports expansion.

World of Warcraft- No one game touched so many people in inappropriate ways or have had other games chasing it's design philosophy of quick quests and fast rewards as WoW (CoD and Skyrim to mention a few.) I know the game has it's detractors and that technically it came out one year before the xbox 360 was launched but it seems to me that if you have to look at one game that everyone had it's eyes on this generation it would be WoW.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare- Combining the constant reward lessons learned from WoW with fast paced addictive game play of WW2 CODs Modern Warfare did for FPS what WOW did to MMO's and that is own the space. If you have any doubts there are people who actually think the Xbox 360 is called Call of Duty.

Minecraft- Of all the games mentioned on my list so far this one will probably have the longest reach. Minecraft not only gave people a new way to publish games but created an entirely new type of game for people to emulate. Way to go Notch.

Mass Effect- Story telling in most games used to and still in some cases are still told entirely though cut scenes or though voiceless protagonists. Mass changed that when their dynamic dialogue wheel allowed players to convey emotional or gut level responses and have the story unfold in a specific manner. While the merits of this system of the previous are debatable there is no doubt that bioware has used them to create some of the best crafted stories in this or any gaming generation.

Uncharted- Similarly to Mass Effect Naughty dog also sought to change gaming story telling and push it forward with their Uncharted series. By having actual actors act and rift off of one enough they created one of the most cinematic gaming experiences ever to be played out with a controller. There is no doubt in my mind that studios will be emulating this technique for years to come.

Starcraft 2- While e-sports was already a thing in Asia it hadn't quite hit with any real force in the west until the release of starcraft 2. For the past two years this one game has been responsible for the entire explosion of e-sports. Four years ago nobody would have though twice about e-sports when launching a competitive multiplayer game. Now it's mentioned all the time whether it's Valve giving away a million dollars for a DOTA2 tournament or smaller games parading themselves in front of MLG everybody wants a piece of that esports action.

Farmville- As much as I hate to say it no game has changed the way we PAY for video games as much as farmville has. Not only has it proved that people are really willing to spend real dollars on virtual stuff but also proved that soccer moms and grandpa's really do exist on facebook.

Wii Sports- Whether you believe it's a fad or here to stay Wii Sports made the first and arguably the best case for motion controls as the launch title for the nintendo wii. It set out to prove what many analysts have been saying all along "games have gotten to complicated." 90 million consoles later I think they might just be onto something.

Indie Games- The biggest lesson from this generation might be bigger isn't always better or as I like to think of it "my girlfriend is wrong." Whether it's playing xbla titles- downloading games on steam- or playing angry birds on your iphone the indie games movement is exploding. While I think the new world has a place for AAA blockbuster games I don't think we'll be seeing as many of them as we used to.

Note: Comma buttons is still broken dashes used to replace commas when things got too confusing.

ffdthree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ffdthree

@ZeForgotten said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

[obscure video game title that's "so bad it's good"] fucking takes the cake.

Ravenhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Ravenhoe

Well, not to me personally but the best answer is probably World of Warcraft, it changed the industry quite a bit I date say. To me, well, Left 4 Dead was the first online game that really grabbed my attention so that was the defining game for me

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Winternet
  • Wii Sports, because that thing drove an entire console
  • Guitar Hero / Rock Band, genre breakers
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, changed the FPS and competitive multiplayer landscape
  • World of Warcraft, changed online gaming
  • Braid, flagship for the indie games genre
  • Uncharted series, raised the bar for the action adventure genre
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sooty

I hold Gears of War responsible for a ridiculous amount of third person shooters this gen.

Street Fighter IV, because fighting games are relevant again and show no sign of slowing down. This is a great thing for casual players, 'hardcore' and the e-sports world.

SFIV also set the trend of using 3D graphics with 2D gameplay for fighting games, because 3D Street Fighter games were fucking dreadful.

@AnimalFather said:

Shooters set in contemporary times has become its own genre

What? No they haven't.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

Off the top of my head: 

Gears of War felt like it kicked off what to expect from visuals this generation. Many have raised it, but it felt like the first game to really set that bar.
Wii Sports for motion controls and the phenomenon that was Wii sales. 
Call of Duty for overall popularity year after year after year.  
Fallout 3 for showing pub/devs out there how DLC is done. It also oened a lot of new people's eyes as to what Bethesda is all about.
FarmVille love it or hate it you can't deny it's impact on the industry as a whole. 
Shadow Complex for raising what we expect from a downloadable title. 
Angry Birds. I don't know why, but Angry Birds.  

And a personal one for me is Uncharted, for showing a lot of people what some of us knew since Crash - that Naughty Dog is not only Sony's best developer but one of the best out there.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BionicRadd

Something I havent seen anyone mention

N+ - To my knowledge, N+ was the first ultra hard, punishing platformer in what would become a pretty widespread genre. Super Meat Boy, VVVVVVV, League of Evil on IOS and a ton of other games followed in it's foot steps to form what has become a pretty popular sub-genre unto itself.

Gears of War took what Killswitch tried and did it way better. Props to Gears for polish, but it was still someone else's idea, first.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears- Third Person Shooting

Modern Warfare- Online Shooting

Street Fighter 4- Brought back the fighting game in a big way

Uncharted- TEH GRAFICKS!

myNotebook- Virtual Money Laundering

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By psylah

Mirror's Edge.

Fuck the haters.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By napalm
@AlmostSwedish said:

Angry Birds

Don't remind me. 

Call Of Duty 4 for revolutionizing modern first-person military shooters. 

Dead Space, for taking the next logical step of what Resident Evil 4 had started. 

Mass Effect for having an incredible space opera story. 

Vanquish for taking the next logical step of what Gears Of War started.
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kashif1

@ffdthree said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

[obscure video game title that's "so bad it's good"] fucking takes the cake.

You all crazy, nothing will ever be as good as [insert dated game from two generations ago]