#1 Posted by TheAdmin (713 posts) -

I'm trying to get my list together of all the games I need to play before the year is over and the game of the year podcasts get into full swing. What games do I absolutely need to play this year? and some worth putting off till next year? Here's my list (some of these I've played):

Walking Dead, Gears of war 3, mass effect 3, Trine 2, syndicate, The witcher 2, darksiders 2, sleeping dogs, dishonored, AC3, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2...

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

XCOM and Dishonored are receiving relatively positive buzz.

#3 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

Borderlands 2. That's it.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

You just mean before the GOTY podcasts come out so you won't get anything spoiled?

Apart from the obvious ones, probably a fair number of XBLA games.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

BINARY DOMAIN

#6 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

The PC version of Dark Souls (Prepare to Die Edition) if you haven't played it yet.

#7 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

I dunno Probably Halo and Assassins Creed. I think You should probably play Mark of the Ninja, Fez and Asura's Wrath as they're games I'm pretty sure will be mentioned at some point in the end of year podcasts.

Personally I think everyone should play Binary Domain, but I doubt anyone but Vinny will finish that before the end of the year.

#8 Edited by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

As far as 2012 in indie games, check these out:

  • Dust: An Elysian Tail (XBLA)
  • Dustforce (PC/Mac)
  • Waking Mars (iOS)
  • Super Hexagon (iOS)
  • Torchlight 2 (PC)
  • Fez (XBLA)

And there's still a lot more to check out that I've missed, like Mark of the Ninja, Lone Survivor, Retro City Rampage, Hell Yeah!, FTL, They Bleed Pixels, McPixel, Spelunky, Legend of Grimrock, Vessel, etc.

#9 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

Krater doesn't get much attention, but I think it's great. Soundtrack is awesome, and I'd recommend giving it a shot if you're into squad-based RPGs. There's a free co-op mode coming out at the end of the month, so now is probably a good time to give it a try.

#10 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

SLEEPY DAWGZ

and Fez.

#11 Posted by TheAdmin (713 posts) -

@believer258 said:

You just mean before the GOTY podcasts come out so you won't get anything spoiled?

Apart from the obvious ones, probably a fair number of XBLA games.

pretty much - I want to be able to listen and avoid major spoilers. So really - I guess I'm looking for games that have major narrative elements.

#12 Posted by vikingdeath1 (972 posts) -

Trials Evolution and Mark of the Ninja are both pretty great.

#13 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -
#14 Edited by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@TheAdmin said:

@believer258 said:

You just mean before the GOTY podcasts come out so you won't get anything spoiled?

Apart from the obvious ones, probably a fair number of XBLA games.

pretty much - I want to be able to listen and avoid major spoilers. So really - I guess I'm looking for games that have major narrative elements.

In that case, just Sleeping Dogs, Walking Dead, and Max Payne 3. I can't think of anything else that really has a ton of narrative elements. Dishonored, maybe, but Patrick said that its narrative isn't a very good reason to play the game and it was never really advertised that way.

Oh, and I already know - Mass Effect 3. But I don't think that's really going to be in any category other than "biggest disappointment", and RE6 will probably get that one. In my personal opinion, Mass Effect 3 holds no truly interesting narrative moments that are worth stressing over. There was not a single story beat in that game that was particularly compelling, with the obvious exception of the ending, and that was not compelling in and of itself. Just the buzz surrounding it.

But I don't want to fire up the Mass Effect 3 hate train, I liked the game a little bit, I'm just pointing out that you can let that one 20-30 hour game slide and you won't miss much.

EDIT: OK, Halo 4. Sorry, I forgot about that one, but that's not even out yet so maybe it will be more of a disappointment than ME3.

#15 Edited by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -
#16 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

FTL

#17 Posted by Stonyman65 (2710 posts) -

Fez, The Walking Dead, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3

#18 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

It's not out yet but that forza horizon demo made me wish that game was out already....like holy shit that game....imagine Dirt, Forza and Burnout all mashed into one.

#19 Posted by UitDeToekomst (716 posts) -
#20 Posted by Ares42 (2672 posts) -

Look at the review list. Check off any game in 2012 with 4+ stars. Play any of them you wouldn't want spoiled. If they didn't review it they probably won't talk about it during GOTY deliberations.

#21 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

@TheAdmin said:

I'm trying to get my list together of all the games I need to play before the year is over and the game of the year podcasts get into full swing. What games do I absolutely need to play this year? and some worth putting off till next year? Here's my list (some of these I've played):

Walking Dead, Gears of war 3, mass effect 3, Trine 2, syndicate, The witcher 2, darksiders 2, sleeping dogs, dishonored, AC3, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2...

Can you actually find time to finish all of those games? It's an awesome list but I admire the time you have!

I personally have loved Kerbal Space Program this year. It's crazy.

Borderlands 2

Civ 5 (Out last year)

FTL: Faster Than Light

Day Z

Good Luck!!!!