#1 Posted by Fozimuth (168 posts) -

Kind of hard to describe in just the title.  I mean something like Symphony of the Night, where it seems like you're at the end of the game, and suddenly there's a whole upside-down castle to go through.   I'm not looking for plot twists, preferably would avoid those.

I'm playing Mass Effect 3, and the whole series has kind of been the opposite.  Each section is a self-contained story with its own climax, some particularly dramatic ones such as Virmire and most of the ME3 priority missions, but there isn't a point in the story where something incredibly surprising that completely changes the rest of the game happens.  It just sort of moves along, then ends after a dramatic final mission. 

#2 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

This probably doesn't count, but during the TF2 beta, Valve decided to turn friendly fire on for a few days. All of a sudden, everyone was formulating new strategies on identifying spies, using methods that didn't involve getting shot at by your teammates. And spies were trying to figure out how to counter those new methods. It was an interesting time to play.

This goes back even further, but realizing that there was a Shock Rifle combo in Unreal Tournament was something magical.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Halo Reach is the obvious one here, i didn't play it but i sat down stairs with my brother for 6 hours while he played it.

#4 Posted by Liquidus (943 posts) -

I liked how towards the end of L.A. Noire

you start to play as Kelso. I love his Dirty Harry style approach compared to Cole's by the book demeanor.

Also at the very end of Shadow of the Colossus you play as Dormin for a minute or two smashing the little guards. It was nice twist since you are now basically the colossus that must be killed.

#5 Posted by supermariobrah (51 posts) -

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune pulled something surprising with the inclusion of the zombie like enemies towards the end of the game.  After battling the same enemies through out the game, and the game having a path more grounded in reality, it was surprising to add these supernatural enemies for the last few levels.  There are allusions to the zombies in the game, but I never thought it would go the route it did.  For me, it was very unexpected and the surprise added something to the game.

#6 Posted by Nottle (1916 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

I liked how towards the end of L.A. Noire

you start to play as Kelso. I love his Dirty Harry style approach compared to Cole's by the book demeanor.

Also at the very end of Shadow of the Colossus you play as Dormin for a minute or two smashing the little guards. It was nice twist since you are now basically the colossus that must be killed.

Not to mention Shadow of the Colossus' first fight, I saw the first boss and it took me a while to finally realize what had to be done. They expected me to climb that thing...

A lot of valve games do this effectively. Half Life 2 gave you the sense that the way your supposed to go is insane like crossing that bridge. It feels like your breaking the game. Think about breaking out of aperture science in Portal, where things don't look polished and white like in the test chambers. Left 4 dead also has the first time you open a door and there is a tank right there.

Puzzle games are usually good at this. Braid has many moments of me going... they don't want me to do this do they? ok well that somehow worked. Also that ending kind of is gameplay.

Think about the first time you learned to throw a fire ball in street fighter.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The jumping in Bastion. WHAT WAS IT DOING IN THERE!?!?!?!

#8 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

In Napoleon: Total Wars last mission (Waterloo) it doesn't matter if you win or loose it has no "game over".

#9 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

In half life 2 when you finally got the bazooka against that fucking chopper that has been hunting your ass for about 2 or 3 hours!

I greatly enjoyed seeing it burn.

#10 Posted by Ramone (2989 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

The jumping in Bastion. WHAT WAS IT DOING IN THERE!?!?!?!

Wait, what?

#11 Edited by Fozimuth (168 posts) -
@Ramone
The Hop-Scotch you get in the last level of Bastion.
#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2705 posts) -

Halo: Combat Evolved pulled quite a twist with the Flood, not many game can hold a secret like that secret until the game is in the players hands.

#13 Posted by Pobearo (108 posts) -

Kotor. Yep.

#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Brutal Legend suddenly deciding to become an RTS.

#15 Posted by BaneFireLord (2974 posts) -

Arkham Asylum pretending to crash was pretty cool. The fact that my game actually did glitch a few minutes later made it all the more surprising.

#16 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

Arkham Asylum pretending to crash was pretty cool. The fact that my game actually did glitch a few minutes later made it all the more surprising.

This was indeed pretty cool.

I feel like what Red Dead pulled off during its final moments was really neat as well.

#17 Posted by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

@supermariobrah said:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune pulled something surprising with the inclusion of the zombie like enemies towards the end of the game. After battling the same enemies through out the game, and the game having a path more grounded in reality, it was surprising to add these supernatural enemies for the last few levels. There are allusions to the zombies in the game, but I never thought it would go the route it did. For me, it was very unexpected and the surprise added something to the game.

I actually predicted something like that would happen 30 mins before it happened. I still didn't expect it, because I didn't think it would actually do that.

#18 Posted by hawkinson76 (379 posts) -

your question is confusing. The example you give, Symphony of the Nigh, WAS a plot twist. a plot being a series of episodes in a sequence (not necessarily chronological) that constitute a story, so in games all the action is part of the story/plot. The mechanics, tone, main character, etc of SotN didn't change when the castle turned upside down, so I'm not sure what you mean. I suppose the POV changed, sort of, but not really.

Do you mean something like Metal Gear Solid 2, playing with expectations by switching out the main character? Like in Scream, when Dew Barrymore (prominently featured in the promotional material) is killed in the opening scene? Thats still part of the plot...

I don't know what you mean.

Also, happy Cinco de Mayo.

#19 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I think Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best example.

#20 Posted by SpaceJamLunchbox (127 posts) -

Uhh, Fez?

#21 Posted by Nentisys (893 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

This goes back even further, but realizing that there was a Shock Rifle combo in Unreal Tournament was something magical.

Yeah, realizing that you could combo the shock rifle orb + beam blew my mind.

#22 Posted by Fozimuth (168 posts) -
@hawkinson76
Even if it's based on the plot, it completely changed your expectations.  Did you really think there would be a whole "new" castle to go through?  It's hard to describe something like this without just getting a bunch of plot twists, so it can be, and probably will be, based on a plot twist, but doesn't have to be.  The change in gameplay and perspective matters instead.  If the plot twist half-way through the game is that your character is a robot, it doesn't matter how surprising that was.  What matters is that the gameplay now ask you to, perhaps, beat on other robots with your detachable limbs as a key gameplay element.  When you start talking about "a plot being a series of episodes in a sequence," you're probably over-thinking it.
#23 Posted by ashleychittock (135 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

The first time this part occurred to me is one of my favourite gaming moments of the last half decade.

#24 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

@supermariobrah: I was thinking of this in a more gameplay-based perspective. After spending a whole game moving from cover to cover, it was neat to have to actually run and gun stuff.