astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce

Does anyone here do "Master" Runs?

I'm new to doing it, thanks to Backloggery.com (and my desire to mark at least one game in my collection as "Mastered", that's what inspired me) but now I'm somewhat addicted to it.

Currently I'm attempting to Master Resident Evil 2 by beating it without using a single healing item (Herb or First-Aid Spray). I already mastered Resident Evil Remake by beating it on Hard with Jill without saving once.

And I mastered Super Mario Land by beating it without dying or getting hit, keeping the Superball Power-Up throughout.

In addition to Resident Evil 2, I'm also attempting to Master Super Mario Bros. by beating it without getting hit or dying, keeping the Fireball throughout. So far I've reached Level 7-2. Got killed by the damn fish!

Are you currently Mastering any games? What games have you Mastered so far?

Soon I want to try my hand at Mastering Ocarina of Time, by beating it without collecting a Heart Container or Heart Piece, and/or beating it without using a Weapon outside of Deku Sticks. Those are two popular ones. I also want to try to beat Super Metroid with only three Energy Tanks. Or 0 Tanks...

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

.....question of the day?  In all seriousness though, I dont think I have mastered a single game to be honest.  

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By YI_Orange

Nah. I like to beat games once on the normal difficulty then I'm good.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

I beat Fire Emblem 7 using only Lords. That's not very hard though, just tedious. If I just used Eliwood I might consider it "Mastered"

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By astrotriforce

I never cease to be amazed by all the people who remember me.... :O And are forced to bring that up on every thread I ever make. I suppose I earned it though, eh.

You should give Master Runs a try. I never thought I'd be into it either, but lo and behold, it's actually pretty fun. The sense of accomplishment you get from it is awesome.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By astrotriforce

@Hunter5024: I don't know enough to comment, but Mastering is really what you make it out to be. It's for your own enjoyment, and its' anything you do that is outside the normal confines of the game. It doesn't necessarily have to be "hard". Given that you did something few people are willing to do, I think you could safely call it "Mastered".

I've never played a Fire Emblem game. I feel like I'm missing out especially being a big Nintendo fan. Although, I've never actually played a single Strat or Tactical RPG and I've always considered Strat games of any sort among my worst genres. I've never really played one, but they just don't appeal to me.

I definitely should try a Fire Emblem one day though. Something tells me I'd really enjoy the series.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes: No Kills,Saves,Rations,Alerts Beaten in 1hr 25 minutes.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Karl_Boss

NBA Jam Tournament Edition, NBA Street, Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Zero Mission. I can beat all three in a couple of hours with a high completion percentage and without dying. Zero Mission is a bit more difficult on its hard mode but it still isn't much trouble.

That first Metroid game, though, did not age well at all. It's infuriating because you're either aiming too high or too low to hit a number of enemies.

EDIT: Also Halo.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama

Does beating Dead Space 2's Impossible Mode warrant a mastering? Because I have if it does.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'm a "Master" league player in StarCraft II...?

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kermoosh

well i don't put myself through hell to do something like you, but i cannot be beat in mario kart double dash. all who have tried have lost every time

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Iodine

The very first advance wars game was my bitch. Noted that I was little at the time and all the people I played against wee also young, but hey, I destroyed the story 3-4 times

Megaman battle network 2

in terms of console..... Hrm.... I did rank in the top 300 in Uno for like a month! (and I had the 3rd lowest bankroll in that Texas Hold'em game, but that was on purpose)

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By j0lter

Persona 3, Dark Souls, KOTOR, and Fable

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By NoobSauceG7

In recent memory, Dark Souls.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Beat Resident Evil Remake and SH2 back to back in about 6hours roughly 3 each

Beat Demon's Souls in roughly 90 minutes without a death

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By astrotriforce

@Akeldama said:

Does beating Dead Space 2's Impossible Mode warrant a mastering? Because I have if it does.

Technically no. A Master Run has to be outside of the normal confines of the game, and difficulty settings are a normal part of the game. So technically to "Complete" a game you have to beat it on each successive difficulty which would include "Impossible" mode. But then again, Mastering is what you make of it. If it's something insane that very few people can pull of it, then you may consider that a Mastery.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

He's back...

I don't "master" games, I play them until I'm satisfied. Also, slavery sucks.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Akeldama

@astrotriforce said:

@Akeldama said:

Technically no. A Master Run has to be outside of the normal confines of the game, and difficulty settings are a normal part of the game. So technically to "Complete" a game you have to beat it on each successive difficulty which would include "Impossible" mode. But then again, Mastering is what you make of it. If it's something insane that very few people can pull of it, then you may consider that a Mastery.

So...beating both Rainbow Six Vegas games using only a USP counts?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@astrotriforce: Im not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed those threads.  It gave me something to think about.
That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Only a few I've done, I'll probably never do one again though just don't have the focus these days:

• Onimusha- No upgrades/no damage taken (Panda playthrough)
  • Pokemon Gold/Silver- No grind/use only what you catch/not allowed backup Pokemon (i.e. Bill's PC)
  • King of Fighters 2006- No damage playthrough/finish every match with a Super Special
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By astrotriforce

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@astrotriforce: Im not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed those threads. It gave me something to think about.

THanks man I appreciate that. Yeah a lot of people echoed your sentiment, even if they didn't say so publicly.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Iodine

Wait if nuzlocke's count then count me in for Pokemanz: Black/Soul Silver/Platinum and two hacked versions of Emerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@astrotriforce said:

@astrotriforce: Im not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed those threads. It gave me something to think about.

THanks man I appreciate that. Yeah a lot of people echoed your sentiment, even if they didn't say so publicly.

The vocal minority eh?
Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Nux

The world ends with you. I can play that game on it's hardest setting with no trouble at all; if thats what you mean.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By astrotriforce

@astrotriforce said:

The vocal minority eh?

Or silent majority? Maybe? :P

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By astrotriforce

@Nux said:

The world ends with you. I can play that game on it's hardest setting with no trouble at all; if thats what you mean.

No difficulties don't count. The best example is beating Ocarina of Time (Or any Zelda) without picking up a single Heart Piece or Heart Container. It has to be something unique that is not part of the standard game. Unlockables and difficulty settings are part of the normal course of Completing a title.

@That1BlackGuy said:

Only a few I've done, I'll probably never do one again though just don't have the focus these days:

• Onimusha- No upgrades/no damage taken (Panda playthrough)
  • Pokemon Gold/Silver- No grind/use only what you catch/not allowed backup Pokemon (i.e. Bill's PC)
  • King of Fighters 2006- No damage playthrough/finish every match with a Super Special

Awesome dude! I've always wanted to play Onimusha. I own all of them but have never played them. Maybe I'll do that after I do my Resident Evil run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@astrotriforce said:

@astrotriforce said:

The vocal minority eh?

Or silent majority? Maybe? :P

Nah, Im saying that the people that spoke out against your threads were the vocal minority!
WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WarlordPayne

I used to be able to beat RE2 with no saves, no healing items sounds crazy though.

My brother and I could beat that old Genesis X-Men game without using any support X-men or changing characters, that's about it.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TooSweet

Contra with only one life. I only managed it a few times. My cousin would do it a few times a day. He would do the same with Rygar. I used to beat Double Dragon the arcade game with one quarter too. But I elbowed my way through it.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By astrotriforce

@believer258 said:

Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Zero Mission. I can beat all three in a couple of hours with a high completion percentage and without dying. Zero Mission is a bit more difficult on its hard mode but it still isn't much trouble.

That first Metroid game, though, did not age well at all. It's infuriating because you're either aiming too high or too low to hit a number of enemies.

That is AMAZING. I might try my hand at doing that as well. Although I rarely die on Metroid games. I've still yet to Complete Zero MIssion, that game is hard as heck to find everything without cheating... Ahh, Metroid eh. That's one of my favorite games. I grew up playing the NES Metroid game though so for me it still holds up extremely well. I know that game like the back of my hand. I think a better Metroid Master Run though would be to beat the games without picking up an Energy Tank. Or limit the amount of Energy Tanks you pick up. I want to try that with Super Metroid like I said.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Trilogy

Is there a guide to this kind of thing? Like a standard for what's considered mastered for each specific game? I wouldn't mind trying something like this buy I would kind of be afraid to attempt something that turned out to not be feasible. I guess figuring that stuff out for some people might be the point but I suppose I would rather know it's doable before trying it.

The only "mastering" of a game that I know about is the World of Warcraft "Iron man Challenge". I never took part in it but it sounded fun. I forget all the details but you had to level as far as you could without the help of anyone. No talent specialization, no gear with stats, no buffs, no dying (must restart as if it were hardcore mode) no potions, no professions, no guild perks, ect.

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MaxxS

I can pretty handily get all 96 exits in Super Mario World over the course of a few hours.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By astrotriforce

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Hahaha. Yeah you're right! :D Complainers always speak the loudest.

@WarlordPayne said:

I used to be able to beat RE2 with no saves, no healing items sounds crazy though.

My brother and I could beat that old Genesis X-Men game without using any support X-men or changing characters, that's about it.

DUDE. That is amazing. I originally was going to beat Resident Evil 2 without using Health items OR saving, but after dying 10 times in the intro city part with all of the zombies... I got so frustrated and I don't think I'll attempt trying to beat it without saving. It's weird though cause I used to be able to get through the opening city part without getting hit once easily. but for some reason during my Master Run I kept dying or getting hit. And I couldn't successfully get the Bow Gun from the Gun Owner. :/ Maybe I was nervous cause i had the mic on for my podcast. But it was annoying. @TooSweet said:

Contra with only one life. I only managed it a few times. My cousin would do it a few times a day. He would do the same with Rygar. I used to beat Double Dragon the arcade game with one quarter too. But I elbowed my way through it.

Dude congrats on that! I still want to attempt that as well. Or at least I want to beat Contra without using the lives cheat. I think that's such a rare feat you could consider it a Mastery. I used to be able to get to the Alien boss at the end of Contra 3, but I coudl never beat him without the lives code.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By astrotriforce

@Trilogy said:

Is there a guide to this kind of thing? Like a standard for what's considered mastered for each specific game? I wouldn't mind trying something like this buy I would kind of be afraid to attempt something that turned out to not be feasible. I guess figuring that stuff out for some people might be the point but I suppose I would rather know it's doable before trying it.

The only "mastering" of a game that I know about is the World of Warcraft "Iron man Challenge". I never took part in it but it sounded fun. I forget all the details but you had to level as far as you could without the help of anyone. No talent specialization, no gear with stats, no buffs, no dying (must restart as if it were hardcore mode) no potions, no professions, no guild perks, ect.

Yeah Backloggery.com. People come up with their own Master Run ideas, but here is the basic universal standard. But everything is open for how you want to define it for the most part. The rules are leniant.

• Null - Not counted in your backlog statistics but will appear in your totals. Useful for titles which aren't tradional games with a conclusion or main objective.
  • Unfinished - No significant accomplishments.
  • Beaten - The main portion or objective of the game has been completed. Usually marked by the defeat of a final boss and/or viewing of the credits.
  • Completed - Must meet the following requirements (where applicable):
    • Overall game completion percentage is maxed out
    • All extras are acquired
    • Every game mode is finished
    • Beaten on the hardest difficulty level
    • Optional levels/dungeons and bosses are beaten
    • Best ending viewed
    • All major item-based upgrades are collected
    • Minor items and lists not included in the above are irrelevant
    • The highest rankings (i.e. S-Ranking a level) aren't needed unless necessary for one of the above requirements.
  • Mastered - A personal challenge designed to be extremely tough, usually beyond the scope of built-in gameplay difficulty.
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36  Edited By Sin4profit

I don't now what mastering is but i guess i mastered Lunar Flight which makes the game super boring once you know exactly what to do.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hardywells

Diablo 2: LOD, became the uber uber godly rich friend everyone wanted. Really did feel great, now anyone left playing it has all godly gear lol. oh well on to D3!

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By astrotriforce

@Trilogy: One way to find this out for specific games, would be to search people's profiles on Backloggery, and see if you can find the game you are looking for on their Mastered list. Click the "diamond" beneath their backlog collection. And then you can see what they did to "Master" it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Justin258

@astrotriforce said:

@believer258 said:

That is AMAZING. I might try my hand at doing that as well. Although I rarely die on Metroid games. I've still yet to Complete Zero MIssion, that game is hard as heck to find everything without cheating... Ahh, Metroid eh. That's one of my favorite games. I grew up playing the NES Metroid game though so for me it still holds up extremely well. I know that game like the back of my hand. I think a better Metroid Master Run though would be to beat the games without picking up an Energy Tank. Or limit the amount of Energy Tanks you pick up. I want to try that with Super Metroid like I said.

I don't know if that would be true mastery since Metroid games are more interesting because of exploration and finding stuff rather than mastering sheer boneheaded difficulty. Of course, part of the beauty of those games is that you can, in fact, beat the game by getting a minimum amount of things like missiles and energy tanks.

Anyway, if you want to really be impressed you should know that I did my last playthrough of Super Metroid essentially on autopilot, meaning that I was playing but my fingers were leading me to the areas where all of the energy tanks and missiles and such were, as opposed to me actively trying to find and remember their locations. This is a good sign that I have played that game way too much and only really enjoy it now out of a sense of nostalgia and appreciation for quality.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tooPrime

I don't think any of my big video game accomplishments fit that model. Like I have 30 FCs in Guitar Hero 3 and am in Master in Starcraft 2, but those are super high skill cap things you can't master, save that one 14 year old kid that could pretty much hit anything in Guitar Hero.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By astrotriforce

@believer258: It's more about personal challenge than difficulty. It's about coming up with a fun way to challenge yourself.

That is indeed impressive! I once beat it in under an hour with 100% of items, still one of my greatest gaming Achievements.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karl_Boss

@astrotriforce said:

@believer258: It's more about personal challenge than difficulty. It's about coming up with a fun way to challenge yourself.

That is indeed impressive! I once beat it in under an hour with 100% of items, still one of my greatest gaming Achievements.

Are you a Super Metroid speedrunner? Because that's a really impressive time, I think the world record for a single segment 100% run is 50 minutes in game time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd rather play a new game. All the time I spent getting good enough to beat Mega Man 3 without using energy tanks would've been better spent playing more video games. Now I actually have the money to make that a reality.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By astrotriforce

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@astrotriforce said:

Are you a Super Metroid speedrunner? Because that's a really impressive time, I think the world record for a single segment 100% run is 50 minutes in game time.

Not officially no. But I know the game like the back of my hand, and I know where every Item is. I did that when I was younger, and I was only able to pull it off once. Even so I can beat it easily with a quick time these days as well. I'm sure if I actually speed-ran the game (and I did this without ever seeing anyone else "speedrun", I didn't even know the term back then) I could do really good at it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By JasonR86

There was a time when I was pretty fucking good at Virtua Fighter 1. Also I can 100% Beyond Good and Evil in like 6 hours.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By retrovirus

Megaman Battle Network 6. I collected and beat everything in that game. Coincidentally, it was also the easiest of the series. BN 3 was where that series peaked.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Claude

I had the master runs one time. It was after a night of drinking. Sucked like hell on earth if you ask me. Well, and then there was the food poisoning onetime. Gross!

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By astrotriforce
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PillClinton

I dabbled in that stuff in the PS2 days. The closest I've gotten to mastering (not true Master Runs I suppose) was in God of War II, Kingdom Hearts, and MGS3.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I have OFFICIALLY mastered MK9 for PS3. I can beat anyone without juggling or spamming. I'm amazing.