• 52 results
#1 Posted by Jeust (10541 posts) -

What games made you laugh with its humour?

I'm talking about funny games, and not about games riddled with bugs or with poor translation.

#2 Posted by Milkman (16619 posts) -

Secret of Monkey Island: still the funniest game of all-time.

#3 Edited by Jeust (10541 posts) -

Fable 1, 2 and 3 were very funny! Deadly Premonition is awesome too. So is Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

#4 Posted by Veektarius (4750 posts) -

Last game I played that made me laugh a lot was the Book of Unwritten Tales... still need to finish that some time.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

Sam & Max games always get me, as does Monkey Island. I know I'm forgetting some notable ones, but those always come to mind.

#6 Edited by pyromagnestir (4287 posts) -

Off the top of my head...

• Penny Arcade Episode 1. I should really get arouond to playing Episode 2...
  • Also Portal and Portal 2, obviously.
  • Saint's Row The Third
  • Persona 4, 3 FES less so.
  • The GTA's all have funny stuff.
  • Killer 7 probably had something that made me laugh.

I mean if you're just talking made me laugh once or twice over the course of it's campaign or something, then lots of games have one or two chuckle worthy things, but if you're talking something with jokes flying at you more often than that, it's a little harder to find.

#7 Edited by MB (12207 posts) -

The only really funny game that comes to mind is No One Lives Forever 2. Most people probably never even played it, unfortunately...PC exclusive from ten years ago. Not only was it funny, I think it had some of the best writing in any game ever.

Check out this clip...man, this game had charm.

#8 Posted by CaLe (3945 posts) -

I laughed a lot at some of the stuff in GTA V. Besides that, Portal 2 is the only thing that comes to mind.

#9 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto V is the first thing that comes to mind.

Just skimming my Steam Library for examples: Brutal Legend, Gone Home, Fallout: New Vegas, Papers, Please, Portal 2, Psychonauts, Saints Row IV, Sleeping Dogs, Surgeon Simulator, and the Tropico games.

#10 Edited by squiDc00kiE (351 posts) -

I laughed for about 15 minutes when "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith started playing at the beginning of Saints Row IV.

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (11806 posts) -

Recently, Penny Arcade 4. I did not like #3, but I thought #4 had some great flavour text for the enemies and items.

#12 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

None, because I find the concept strange.

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (11806 posts) -

None, because I find the concept strange.

You find the concept of laughing at something humourous strange?

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@beachthunder:

At the very least, laughing at a joke presented on screen. Recognizing it as humorous is fine, but laughing at it seems alien.

Not quite sure how to phrase any of this, really.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@beachthunder:

At the very least, laughing at a joke presented on screen. Recognizing it as humorous is fine, but laughing at it seems alien.

Laughing at something funny on a screen seems alien and strange?

I thought Portal 2 was pretty funny. Parts of SR3 are funny, but others just got on my nerves (Burt Reynolds? Great. Zombies? Are you fucking kidding me?)

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Sort of, yea. Like if we're watching an episode of Family Guy (or a show that you actually find humorous) and you end up bursting out in laughter at something on screen, I'll look at you like you're completely crazy, even if I found the show funny, too.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11806 posts) -

@beachthunder:

Hm, I see what you're getting at. I suppose some people have a harder time than others literally laughing out loud. In this case, what games have humour in them that you enjoy?

#18 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

A lot of Lucas Arts games; some Telltale games; some Double Fine games; Saints Row 4. I just started GTA V, and I think the interactions between Lamar and Franklin are funny.

#19 Posted by falserelic (5398 posts) -

GTA V is what comes to my mind at the moment.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@beachthunder:

Looking over games I've played this year:

• Mario Party Advance seems at least mildly humorous, at least.
  • Clash at Demonhead's definitely funnier if only for its off-the-wall energy.
  • Does the aloof expression on Dynamite Dux's face count?
  • Yumimi Mix, because this.

You know what? I think I can end on that.

#21 Posted by pyromagnestir (4287 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Sort of, yea. Like if we're watching an episode of Family Guy (or a show that you actually find humorous) and you end up bursting out in laughter at something on screen, I'll look at you like you're completely crazy, even if I found the show funny, too.

But... What do you do when you find something funny then? Are you this girl?

#22 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

But... What do you do when you find something funny then?

Nothing, really. I mentally acknowledge that something is humorous (without verbalizing it) and then let the rest of my life happen. Sort of like this:

#23 Edited by pyromagnestir (4287 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

But... What do you do when you find something funny then?

Nothing, really. I mentally acknowledge that something is humorous (without verbalizing it) and then let the rest of my life happen.

But the laughing part is the most fun part of the whole process!

#24 Posted by Quarters (1667 posts) -

I don't think I've ever laughed at hard as a game as I have Saints Row IV.

#25 Edited by RecSpec (3799 posts) -

Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Phoenix Wright, and more recently Divekick. Also there are some Tekken endings that are hilarious.

#26 Posted by Christoffer (1786 posts) -

Hell, looking though my Steam games, I don't think I've ever laughed at a game that actually wanted me to laugh. Seems like I don't play games for the laughs.

#27 Edited by ShockD (2400 posts) -

Mostly the cutscenes of Grand Theft Auto.

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

GTA 5 is making me laugh a lot. Portal is funny, an obvious answer though. The Persona games make me laugh a lot, though I'm not sure it's always intentional.

#29 Posted by CByrne (193 posts) -

DCS: Huey With Drew, Vinny, And Dave with the simulation CCR...

Just Cause 2 made me chuckle with the amount of stupid things you could do.

#30 Posted by Thoseposers (782 posts) -

Amped 3 cause all of it is just crazy!

#31 Edited by spraynardtatum (2798 posts) -

GTA (all of them always) and Skate jump out at me. Any game where I can screw with physics. Also using the rope in creative mode in minecraft. You can fly around with 20 chickens attached to rope whipping around behind you. It is hilarious.

Saints Row 3 has some good moments but quite a few misses. Portal 2 is hilarious. The best video game script of all time.

#32 Posted by MrNinjaSquirrel (15 posts) -

Hmm, good question. Just spitballing:

• Psychonauts
  • Costume Quest
  • The Cave
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Portal 1&2
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Fable 2 (maybe not flat out laugh, but a lot of grinning)
  • Surgeon Simulator 2013
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes (well the ads at least)
  • Rock of Ages
  • Recettear
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Scribblenauts
  • Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom (ok this one barely counts since it's mostly stolen from the show, but I can't help it)

I guess I'm sorta easily amused by a lot of stuff, so most of these probably wouldn't come across as funny to some people. I definitely think we could use more comedy in gaming, though it seems to be harder to pull off consistently than in other mediums. Double Fine is probably the best in my opinion, I've laughed at least a few time in all their games I've played :P

#33 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I've definitely laughed a lot while playing Halo couch co-op. There's something about the insanity of random events in multiplayer matches that's hilarious when you're sharing it with good friends.

#34 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Brutal Legend had me in tears my first time playing it. Same with SR: The Third.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Muv-Luv. There's a bunch of dumb slapstick but there's some unexpected stuff that made me chuckle.

#36 Posted by audioBusting (1494 posts) -

The end cutscene for the first world in Super Meat Boy made me laugh. Wearing silly clothes in Sleeping Dogs's cutscenes makes me laugh too. I haven't played GTA5, but some moments I saw in Vinny's livestream made me laugh.

The game that makes me laugh the most is probably Brutal Legend. That game is so silly.

#37 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

TellTale's Sam and Max games, Saints Row the Third, Portal 2 and the various GTA games.

#38 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3131 posts) -

Lego Batman 2 and Saints Row the Third come to mind.

#39 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5814 posts) -

Shadow Hearts Covenant is pretty funny.

There's a point in the game where you can buy a giant frozen tuna which can be used as a weapon for a certain character. That alone was funny, but then I read the item's description:

"A tuna that suffered from an incurable disease and swam into a suspended-animation device to await the day it could be cured..."

Good stuff.

#40 Edited by Hailinel (24288 posts) -

Quite a few, really. Saints Row 2-IV immediately spring to mind, as do Persona 3, 4, and Arena (those joke endings, my god). I also got a lot of laughs out of Warriors Orochi 3. The character interactions in that game can be disarmingly hilarious.

#41 Posted by cthomer5000 (759 posts) -

50 Cent: Blood On The Sand - I don't believe i've ever laughed so consistenly during a game. Not sure a lot of it was intentional though.... but the game was sort of 'high concept' in many ways.

Sleeping Dogs - Wei so blatantly called out other characters on the absurdity of the shit that they were doing, and his voice acting was so good, that i would be cracking up consistently. It was like he was in on the fact that it was a video game. At the same time I thought that game handled it's main story with a great deal of seriousness which worked. Tough to juggle those, but i loved that game.

#42 Posted by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

Oh the latest Fire Emblem was pretty funny too.

#43 Edited by WickedFather (1731 posts) -

Most recently Saints Row IV when

You do Kinzie's sex mission. When she says let's do this and whacks you in the face I laughed so much because of it taking the piss out of Mass Effect. I then went straight to CID and there was the option I thought no way and then it starts sucking you off! I was a girl but with a cockney man's voice so still considered it sucking off. I screamed laughing. I was so glad Keith David turns you down. I respect him too much for sexy time.

Saints Row 2 Londoner 'singing' to The Final Countdown. I didn't realise it was coming from my speakers and thought something weird was going on.

Most of the Mario adventures have really funny parts in them because if you're good at doing voices in your head when reading lines. This really made me laugh in Paper Mario 64 which I played for the first time last year:

It's a Penguin... Murder... MYSTERY!

Strongbad. The heavy metal detector, that idiot Homestar going "choo choo!" when they did the conga, but most of all Bubz. I spent about 3 days doing monologues in his voice with bits of Strongsad now and again. My girlfriend got pretty fed up of it.

Portal 2 is the best non-Nintendo game I've played but I was concentrating on the dialogue too hard to laugh out loud.

#44 Posted by seveword (143 posts) -

The Saltybet exhibition match the other night between a legless soccer player and a retarded waifu had me in tears. Absurd and surreal shit in Saints Row/GTA is usually good for a chuckle.

#45 Edited by Karmosin (210 posts) -

Alot of games. I'm an easy chuckler, and I often laugh out loud even if a joke only amuses me. Lets just leave it at that.

#46 Posted by Sammo21 (3252 posts) -

I can't think of a list right now, but Grand Theft Auto 4 legitimately made me laugh several times so far. Definitely the best written game they have made so far and the voice actors carry it even farther.

#47 Posted by sadsadsad (105 posts) -

Been smiling and shaking my head at GTA5, chuckled at the reveal when they exited the bank during The Paleto Score.

#48 Edited by randomcharachter (62 posts) -

Deadpool

Deadrising

Devil May Cry

#49 Posted by CooVee (144 posts) -

Worms Revolution while playing with friends. Those matches can get insane.

#50 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

Garry's Mod Sandbox mode + friends + hundreds of mods from the workshop = good times (a winning formula).