#1 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (168 posts) -

For me their are some games that I'm able to just pick up and do really well in from the get go. I'm not saying these have to be games you are a total master of, just that you start out better than most when they first start.

For me it is anything that brings back a little bit of a UT:2K4 vibe. I was never anywhere close to professional level but I usually did well and I never even played the game that much, so when I play anything that somewhat resembles it I usually do well. I think it's just that I'm really good at figuring out lines through levels to get good guns, and also I'm good at being able to keep moving fast and never really stop.

Other than that I was really good at Battlefield games up until 3 for some reason.(I played 1942, 2, 1943 and Bad Company 2 for the record) Killing Floor I've also always been good at.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5444 posts) -

When it comes to Survival-Horror games. I usually can do pretty good, especially with the older Resident Evil games. Sense I know all enemy weaknesses, and know the best weapon of choice to use for them.

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Skill requirements don't phase me, I'm good at anything I set my mind to.

The biggest hurdle is not finding something boring.

#4 Edited by PoisonJam7 (356 posts) -

I seem to do pretty well with Action Adventure games that focus on combat; stuff like, God of War, Castlevania Lords of Darkness, Ninja Gaiden, etc. I attribute this mainly to my obsession with beating Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox at Master Ninja difficulty years ago.

Strangely, I am terrible at fighting games though.

#5 Posted by Coafi (1489 posts) -

First person shooters, except Halo. I fucking suck at Halo. :(

#6 Posted by envane (1163 posts) -

video games

#7 Posted by Grillbar (1849 posts) -

puzzle games, old school survival horror games and most fps games on pc especially the battlefield series

#8 Edited by TruthTellah (9150 posts) -

I'm generally rather skilled at turn-based strategy titles. I think my years of chess tournaments gave me a natural inclination toward understanding and facing strategy systems and their implicit challenges.

#9 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Dying alone?

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

Is it lame if I say I'm really good at JRPGs? Cause it seems like everyone should be good at JRPGs. I'm also really good at Madden and driving games.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@sooty said:

Skill requirements don't phase me, I'm good at anything I set my mind to.

That sounds....insane.

Anyway, I'd say it's impossible to be inherently good at something since that's not how skills work.

#12 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I'm the gamemaster yo!

#13 Posted by spankingaddict (2677 posts) -

Platformers , I guess . I'm getting pretty consistently good at puzzle games because I play a ton of them .

#14 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

None. I'm garbage at pretty much all skill-required games. The only games I could be considered "good" at are RPGs, and that's just because dialog options don't kill me too often.

#15 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (168 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Is it lame if I say I'm really good at JRPGs? Cause it seems like everyone should be good at JRPGs. I'm also really good at Madden and driving games.

I for one can say that I'm bad at JRPG's in general. There are a few I am okay at though, not very many.

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5702 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

This is my answer too. My friends often need my help beating bosses when they play JRPGs.

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'm pretty good at most games. Not like amazingly good or anything. I play most games on hard since i enjoy the challenge. Maybe not platformers, mostly cus i barely play them anymore.

Also with multiplayershooters, I suck for a day or two till i learn the maps then i'm pretty good after that.

OH i really suck at multiplayer RTS. It's just not fun to me at all, so i can't get into it enough to get good.

#18 Edited by johncallahan (570 posts) -

I've always preferred to think of myself as a Jack of All Trades, Ace of None guy. Just about all my close friends spend hours upon hours playing FPS's. They can handle my ass fairly easily (unless I'm on my game), but switch over to anything else and they got nothing. If there is one thing I naturally excel at, it's music games. Don't know why, but I've won many a Guitar Hero/Rock Band contest. Can play any of the instruments well, and pick up on games like Audiosurf or stuff like that easily.

#19 Posted by armaan8014 (5406 posts) -

I don't know about being good at games. I mean if it looks like i'll enjoy it, I install it, set the difficulty to normal and... enjoy the game and the story and finish it you know?

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I for one can say that I'm bad at JRPG's in general. There are a few I am okay at though, not very many.

Ok. I guess when I look at JRPGs a lot of the time it feels like the simplest form of an RPG in terms of mechanics and AI patterns. Like, in nearly any JRPG, you can grind your way through it if the going gets rough and as long as you have a person or items for healing you can brute force your way through any of those games. That's why I wasn't sure. But I've played a lot of JRPGs through the years so maybe I'm just really used to them.

As a side note, I'm awful at 2D Mario games. I've never beaten a 2D Mario game, not even the first one. But I've 100%'er all of the 3D Mario games which I'm sure many of the older fans of Mario would say that some of those 3D games are much harder than the 2D games. So I guess exposure is a big deal.

#21 Posted by ConfusedOwl (944 posts) -

I'd say I'm good at no specific genre, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'm not really good at games in general. Which is weird considering how much I play and enjoy them.

#22 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

As a side note, I'm awful at 2D Mario games. I've never beaten a 2D Mario game, not even the first one.

Haha dork!

#23 Posted by Aetheldod (3593 posts) -

Give me 30 mins and I can play any game decently. This is because I´ve always played a multitude of game types ..... Now me liking it its a whole other matter. (ie I hate sports games but I can give you a challenge if I learn the basics)

#24 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

Battlefield multiplayer springs to mind.

Otherwise my gameplay usually stands out in mechanically rich games. Watch me play DX Human Revolution or Just Cause 2, I continuously string together crazy moves and switch up the flow of my gameplay, being all over the place and pulling stunts or testing the game's durability.

Cat and mouse games are the best thing I've ever experienced.

#25 Posted by mao16 (107 posts) -

I'm usually really good at anything turn based (rpgs in general, trpgs especially). I'd go as far as saying that if I put actual effort into them I would be pretty high up there.

I'm also fairly good at mmo number crunching to the point where if I actually put in the effort and time I would call my self semi-pro.

I guess i'm also good at puzzle games. I would say i'm also good at rhythm games due to the fact I was in band in high school and was one of the guys that wasn't awful.

I'm also fairly competent at some twitch based games like shooters but am average at best at fighting games, dota, starcraft style rts etc (and that's with me putting in lots of effort and time). If I don't put in the effort, which is what usually happens i'm dreadful at those games.

#26 Posted by Nadril (530 posts) -

Even though I don't think I'm 'inherintly' good at them, I'd like to think I am fairly good at RTS style games. Honestly that was a lot of work and practice though. Practiced my way from bronze to masters in SC2, and I'm in the Very High bracket in Dota 2. (and high enough up in that to be placed against pro players / pub stomp teams now and then).

Really I feel like I'm fairly decent at most games, but I'm not very good at fighting games. I'm also very hit or miss in FPS games, although I also don't put a lot of effort into playing better with those like I do Dota/RTS games.

#27 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

rhythm games, no doubt. I wish I was better at games that I enjoyed a little more, but coming from a music background I've gotten pretty good at most rhythm games before I even pick up the controller.

#28 Posted by Fheonix (17 posts) -

I used to love JRPGs, I grew up with my brother's hand me down SNES titles and longed for something more. These days, I still buy and collect them, but I find the better ones tend to be released for handhelds... I've even just imported an NTSC 3DS (cheers Nintendo...) to play SMT4 and Etrian Odyssey 4, as the PAL release date for both seems years away...

Other than that,Shumps! Gotta love that bullet hell! It's one of the purest forms of gaming in my eyes. You need to not over think and rely purely on hand-eye co-ordination and skill. There is some learning of patterns, but when you're not playing in an arcade / for the mandatory 'complete the game without continues' achievement, it's not enough of a hindrance for casual players.

#29 Edited by konig_kei (622 posts) -

everything but fighting games, but I do enjoy them, even though I get stomped.

#30 Posted by MattGrant (122 posts) -

I feel like a tool when I say RPGs, largely because most Western RPGs are not that mechanically complicated when it comes to their combat systems. It's kind of like saying "I'm good at making choices."

Still, I've pulled off some neat (and arguably impressive) shit in Bethesda's games as well as some others. And while I am neither great at RTS or FPS, I was a beast when it came to real time battles in Rome: Total War (like fending off 10,000 angry Huns with a fort garrisoned with less than 500) and crazy good at CoD 2 when I was 14 or 15.

#31 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm good at stealth games. But oddly, I'm impatient with action games and get my ass kicked and killed way too many times.

#32 Edited by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

I'm great at everything.

Perhaps the best person at stuff on the internet.

I'm very modest too and don't think any of you are beneath me.

#33 Posted by mosespippy (4204 posts) -

I'm a natural flag runner in CTF modes. I know when to hold back and wait for an opportunity, how to spot an opening in opposing defenses and how to utilize all available escape routes.

I'm also fairly natural at racing games. I guess knowing how to outrun opposition helps with flag running as well.

#34 Edited by Scampbell (498 posts) -

The waiting game.

#35 Edited by believer258 (11948 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@creepyunclebrad said:

@jasonr86 said:

Ok. I guess when I look at JRPGs a lot of the time it feels like the simplest form of an RPG in terms of mechanics and AI patterns. Like, in nearly any JRPG, you can grind your way through it if the going gets rough and as long as you have a person or items for healing you can brute force your way through any of those games. That's why I wasn't sure. But I've played a lot of JRPGs through the years so maybe I'm just really used to them.

As a side note, I'm awful at 2D Mario games. I've never beaten a 2D Mario game, not even the first one. But I've 100%'er all of the 3D Mario games which I'm sure many of the older fans of Mario would say that some of those 3D games are much harder than the 2D games. So I guess exposure is a big deal.

Go play SMT Nocturne or Strange Journey. They get a lot of depth out of a relatively small number of moves, and they're not really easy just because you take turns picking moves from lists. And grinding out a few levels to beat a boss is often impractical (most bosses are made to test how well you use the skills available, not to test how high your level is).

Anyway, I don't know if I'm inherently good at any genre. I used to say "FPS's" because I was pretty good at Halo for quite a while there, but I've either lost my touch or just don't play them enough anymore. I will say that I'm good enough at most genres to get through most games on their Normal or Hard difficulties, so I guess I'm more a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none. I just don't push myself anymore to be better at games. To put this in the most pretentious manner possible, I'm playing a game to explore and analyze their story and gameplay, to master them in a more academic way than in a skilled and competitive way. To put it in a more humble way, I'm kinda lazy and am usually ready to move onto the next game once I've completed something and have a solid opinion on it.

#36 Edited by gokaired (541 posts) -

Fighting Games i'm good at because of my older Brother, indirectly my Brother got me good at RPGs too he bought me a bunch for the GBA.

I don't know if i'm good at platformers but i do like'em.

#37 Edited by erhard (408 posts) -

Racing games.

#38 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

I'm not really great at any games. JRPGs are just easy.

#39 Posted by HorseFactory (98 posts) -

Shmups

#40 Posted by CaLe (3992 posts) -

Something is going terribly wrong if I'm not topping leaderboards in an FPS.

#41 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

Stealth games? They're usually my go to game so I guess I've gotten good at them.

#42 Posted by SunBroZak (1136 posts) -

Nothing really. I'm average (at best) at just about every genre of video-games. I guess my "talent" comes from the willingness to suffer through hours of failure just to complete a hard task in a video-game.

#43 Posted by Winsord (1231 posts) -

Racing games and rhythm games. Racing games is mostly just being able to quickly get a sense for how a game handles and get into a groove rather quickly, so I'm usually pretty quick to throw them onto the highest difficulty, but that's mostly just from having played a lot of them. As for rhythm games, I also tend to find I can jump in at high difficulty levels with relative ease. I don't know if I can really attribute that to Rock Band or not, seeing as between Theatrhythm, DJ Hero and Project Diva, there's not much similarity in terms of core mechanics, aside from hitting notes matched up with music.

I'm not sure if I can count FPS games in this mix or not. I feel like the ones I'm best at happen to be the most popular, so they're going to have the biggest crowd of bad players. I know across the multitude of Call of Duty games my overall K/D (per game) ranges from a bottom of 1.6 to a high of 3.25 or so, but again, the super low-point of entry for that series doesn't make that feel terribly impressive. If you throw me into ARMA or Counter Strike though, I'll do alright but never anything spectacular. The AI in the campaigns for FPS games also tends to be pretty easy to abuse, so I'll usually start on Hard, whereas I'll play most other games on normal.

#44 Posted by Zaccheus (1795 posts) -

I'm ok in most things, but I suck at character action games e.g. God of War, Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

#45 Edited by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

Depends on your definition of good. I'm good as in I don't blindly ignore tutorials and get pissed when I can't progress in a game. I used to think I was good at fighting games until I played against people like Dieminion and Jwong back when they were in NY. I thought I was good in shooters until I played Halo 2 online. And any non competitive game I used to think I was good in until I watched no glitch speed runs.

Truth is, I learned long ago that no matter how good I think I am there's always someone way better. Either that or I heard Homer Simpson say that.

Regardless, I've stopped caring if I'm good or not.

#46 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Visual novels?

#47 Posted by MoonwalkSA (433 posts) -

I generally have an easy time picking up and mastering fast-paced action games, though strangely I'm usually total shit when it comes to execution in fighting games (and games that use a very fighting game-ish inupt system, like DMC3). I also tend to get along really well in anything that takes patience and strategy, like stealth games, rpgs, turn-based tactics games, and so on. I'm pretty sure I'm above-average at FPS games, but I've played LANs with people who are so much better than me that I'd hesitate to call myself good at them.

Really, the only thing I feel like I don't have the instincts for is fighting games. Unless you've been playing them for a long time, you have to practice so much and study so many arcane mechanics just to be able to play at an acceptably intermediate level, and not a single bit of it feels intuitive or natural. I'm hoping Divekick can change that, though.

#48 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

I suck at most video games, i will try though .... i will always try.

#49 Posted by Reisz (1507 posts) -

Stealth, the mechanics just come really easily, makes me wonder if I'm a sneaky bastard in my daily life.