• 110 results
#1 Posted by Jeust (10451 posts) -

What games do you feel you need to defend when almost everybody speaks ill of it?

#2 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

none because invariably I am not the only person who loves said game.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (35833 posts) -

I feel like I have some examples, but not a lot, partially because when somebody tells me a game is bad, I tend to avoid it in case they're right.

#4 Posted by Jeust (10451 posts) -

Personally this is a beef of mine. I hate when people bash the games I love. Games like:

• Final Fantasy XII - a game ahead of its time, that influenced franchises like the Tales of, Star Ocean, Nier, Infinite Undiscovery and Ni No Kuni. And with his gambit system that so many people bashed around present in other games like Dragon Age: Origin.
  • Silent Hill. Downpour: the combat is cumbersome, and there are framerate issues, but the expansive nature of the game, with a large and explorable map, secrets, easter eggs, and a interesting story makes the game so much more.
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: while the targetting system might be worse than it could have been, but the powers, the levels and even the corny story made it really enjoyable for me.
#5 Edited by Jeust (10451 posts) -

@animasta said:

what about Nier, Animasta? :P

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII was a decent game.

In fact, I enjoyed everything about it (except the story) more than Final Fantasy XIII-2, which seems to be more popular.

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Maybe the King's Field games? I mean they were like well enough at the time but time has led people to forget or not care for those games. But in that time and for that system those games were really amazing.

#8 Edited by fisk0 (3773 posts) -

With the exception of Daikatana, I guess I don't really love a lot of games that everybody else hates, I just tend to love games that others think are mediocre, or plainly have never heard of, so nobody tends to be that aggressively hateful towards them that there's any need to defend them.

But, sure, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and Deus Ex: Invisible War aren't bad games, even though some of the fans of the previous games in the series would say they are on par with genocide. I don't think they are fantastic games either (the multiplayer part of ACAH is bordering on fantastic though), but they're both good games that just don't live up to the quality of the previous installments, but both are generally better than the average stuff in their respective genres.

#9 Edited by falserelic (5278 posts) -

Bionic Commando

#10 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I wouldn't say it's utterly reviled by everyone except me, but I usually find it necessary to point out that Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands is better than the 2008 game. Same goes for Warrior Within too.

#11 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII. One of my favourite entries in the FF franchise.

#12 Edited by RayCarter (156 posts) -

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. Almost no one believes me when I said that the controls are not even half as bad as most people I talk to make it out to be.

#13 Posted by Itwongo (1100 posts) -

DK64

#14 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

LAIR!

no only joking it was shite

#15 Edited by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

Heavenly Sword. That game is cool.

#16 Edited by Zevvion (1796 posts) -

DmC. It was really great. Gameplay was outstanding and a lot of fun.

Mass Effect 3. While I admit the ending was disappointing and ME2 was really great as well and having some concepts better played out than ME3; I still think ME3 is the superior game. The gameplay is just a whole lot better. Better combat, better movement, better power use. Also, I was impressed how they managed to satisfyingly close off most of the interesting backstories like the genophage, Krogan Rebellions, geth/quarian war, Mordin's dilemma, Anderson's legacy, Illusive Man's hunger for power, Thane's illness, Udina's hunger for political power and tons more stuff. Also, the multiplayer was the best shooting multiplayer I've played this generation.

Also, not sure if it counts, but Rage. I've seen a lot of people saying things like 'id waits this long to bring out a game and this is what they finally put out'? Meanwhile, it was one of the better single player shooters I've played.

#17 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11422 posts) -

Final Fantasy X-2, straight up one of my favorite Final Fantasy games for both ironic and genuine reasons. Other than that though, can't think of much else. I like Dragon Age 2, but I wouldn't say I love it.

#18 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1799 posts) -

I guess if you consider Lost Planet 2 hated, that I guess.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Actually, ignore my last response. I really like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. I played them when I was young and have an unreasonable, unrealistic appreciation for them.

#20 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Those godfather games are better than any gta game

#21 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

Max Payne 3 and Way of the Samurai 3

#22 Edited by TopSteer (634 posts) -

Final Fantasy X-2, straight up one of my favorite Final Fantasy games for both ironic and genuine reasons. Other than that though, can't think of much else. I like Dragon Age 2, but I wouldn't say I love it.

I'm with you on X-2, though my love for that game is in no way ironic, I genuinely love that game.

#23 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Madden

FIFA

NBA

MLB2K

Call of Duty

Dragon Age 2

Mass Effect 3
Candy Crush
Angry Birds

#24 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -
#25 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

GTA 4. It was a commercial success, but it seems like most interntet forums (even gtaforums.com) can't seem to have a discuasion about it without the inevitable vocal minority shitting on it.

#26 Posted by rolanthas (242 posts) -

Damn, I love a lot of "average" games, but it's hard to think of one universally hated.

Oh yeah, I guess Dirge of Cerberus was widely hated, while I loved it. It was surprisingly robust, and gunplay was polished as hell. Tri barrel customization was fun to play with etc.

I should probably hook up my PS2 to play that.

#27 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Resident Evil 5, AvP (2010), and Sleeping Dogs come to mind quickly. I wouldn't say people specifically "hate" those games but they are either written off completely or just disliked due to being the norm.

#28 Posted by Sidoran (67 posts) -

The Dynasty Warriors series. It's not universally hated, but it sure does feel that way sometimes.

#29 Edited by StrainedEyes (1319 posts) -

The first Assassin's Creed.

#30 Posted by JOURN3Y (230 posts) -

I like Dynasty Warriors

/thread

#31 Posted by firecracker22 (532 posts) -

Assassin's Creed (1).

Batman Begins.

Alpha Protocol.

Max Payne 3.

#32 Posted by BoOzak (870 posts) -

I enjoyed that game... I never really liked the way the cars handled in GTA. (4 was slightly better but even then) I also loved the first game.

My game is Metroid Other M. I know it reviewed well for the most part (even Brad liked it) but all I see is hatred for this game on various boards and it really doesnt deserve it.

#33 Posted by Blunderguts (6 posts) -

It may be hot garbage, but I had shameful amounts of fun with Two worlds. It was such a beautiful mess. Dat dialogue.

#34 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3535 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Bionic Commando

So this is what it's like... when doves cry.

Seriously, though, I loved that game too. Once you got over the awful, AWFUL twist, and accepted that you were not playing a sandbox game, it's loads of fun. Swinging around is a blast, especially in the multiplayer maps. It's just too bad the online code was crap, and the game was a lag-filled mess. :(

#35 Posted by Fistoh (119 posts) -

I think Alpha Protocol is really good, albeit flawed. Invisible War is also real good.

#36 Edited by kylenalepa (101 posts) -

@jeust said:

Personally this is a beef of mine. I hate when people bash the games I love. Games like:

• Final Fantasy XII - a game ahead of its time, that influenced franchises like the Tales of, Star Ocean, Nier, Infinite Undiscovery and Ni No Kuni. And with his gambit system that so many people bashed around present in other games like Dragon Age: Origin.
  • Silent Hill. Downpour: the combat is cumbersome, and there are framerate issues, but the expansive nature of the game, with a large and explorable map, secrets, easter eggs, and a interesting story makes the game so much more.
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: while the targetting system might be worse than it could have been, but the powers, the levels and even the corny story made it really enjoyable for me.

Final Fantasy XII was probably my favorite in the series and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was amazing - I probably played through it three or four times. Never played any of the Silent Hill games, but you're spot on with the other two.

#37 Posted by Humanity (8715 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Bionic Commando

So this is what it's like... when does cry.

Seriously, though, I loved that game too. Once you got over the awful, AWFUL twist, and accepted that you were not playing a sandbox game, it's loads of fun. Swinging around is a blast, especially in the multiplayer maps. It's just too bad the online code was crap, and the game was a lag-filled mess. :(

Thirded. I really liked it with the dumb twist and awful dialog. Swinging around was fun and pretty challenging to get good at.

I even made this mini montage after beating the game back when I was all into recording gameplay footage way back when.

#38 Posted by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

@jeust said:

@animasta said:

what about Nier, Animasta? :P

I liked Nier. So...statement validated!

@evilnights said:

I wouldn't say it's utterly reviled by everyone except me, but I usually find it necessary to point out that Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands is better than the 2008 game. Same goes for Warrior Within too.

Who the hell thinks PoP 2008 is better then Sands of Time? I have never come across such an insane and troubled individual.

Personally, I am tempted to say Power Stone 1, but that is mostly because people seem to prefer Power Stone 2 over 1, which is just completely baffling to me.

So for reals, I guess I would say Way of The Samurai 1.

#39 Edited by hughesman (312 posts) -
#40 Edited by Zeik (2195 posts) -
@poisonjam7 said:

Who the hell thinks PoP 2008 is better then Sands of Time? I have never come across such an insane and troubled individual.

Me. At least, I remember having more fun playing it than any of the Sands of Time games. But it's been quite awhile since played either and it's not like I was ever a big PoP fan. (Or at all.)

#41 Posted by Flappy (2114 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Nier

Yakuza 3/4

Way of the Samurai series.

NBA 2k series.

The list goes on.

#42 Edited by Zeik (2195 posts) -

On-topic, I can't think of any great examples. I can think of some that are pretty widely hated that I think are decent (Suikoden 4 and Xenosaga 2), and some that are actually more than decent but I hardly "love" (Persona 1, Final Fantasy XIII).

I guess maybe Mass Effect 3 would be the closest? At worst it's 50/50 love/hate, but I did think it was a great game when I finished it, and at the time I considered it my favorite of the series. I haven't touched it since then nor any of the DLC, so I need to go back and do that before I can actually say that with certainty. (The DLC pricing structure for that game is total BS though.)

#43 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@poisonjam7 said:

@evilnights said:

Specifically Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (the 2010 game). I remember Brad being particularly 'meh' about it. Personally I thought it was great.

#44 Posted by rolanthas (242 posts) -

As a lifelong PoP fan, Forgotten Sands was the only entry I put down and didn't finish. I couldn't understand if you're saying FS is better or worse than Warrior Within though.

I can almost feel my neckbeard growing. PoP has this effect on me.

#45 Edited by RespectTheNerd (17 posts) -

This is going to be a pretty old one (at least to me) and i suspect most people wont know of it, Predator: concrete jungle.
It might be that I am such a huge predator fan that i ignore all the obvious faults it had ,like no fucking checkpoints in half to one hour long missions but i still loved playing through that game.
To bad no one has ever thought of creating a third person Predator with the technology of today how cool wouldn't such a game be!

another game that gets a lot of shit even thought its really great is Alpha protocol sure it tried to do what mass effect did and failed horribly in comparison but if you pretend mass effect never happened then its a really awesome game

#46 Posted by Toastburner_B (142 posts) -

Crackdown 2. While I was a disappointed the gangs got replaced by a single faction, I thought the Freaks were fun enough to fight, and that the game was a more enjoyable experience than Crackdown 1.

#47 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

@zevvion:

I too loved Mass Effect 3. I thought it was a fantastic ending to a wonderful trilogy. The extended cut really helped clear the confusion I had on the original ending.

Other games I love, there's Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age II, and Star Wars The Force Unleashed.

#48 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@evilnights said:

As a lifelong PoP fan, Forgotten Sands was the only entry I put down and didn't finish. I couldn't understand if you're saying FS is better or worse than Warrior Within though.

I can almost feel my neckbeard growing. PoP has this effect on me.

Yeah, should have put a line break in there I guess. I meant to say that I think Warrior Within is also better than the 2008 game; I've always felt peoples' dislike of Warrior Within revolved too much around the admittedly poor tone , ignoring that the platforming mechanics were still excellent and the combat was a huge improvement on its predecessor.

#49 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

I've always loved Majora's Mask, FFX, and FFX-2, and they were hated when they first came out. I think people have come around on them a bit, making them "cult classics", but I was there from the start, dammit!

#50 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

I don't generally love games that isnt at least accepted as alright in general. I do however love a lot of games that I would myself say are objectively bad on several fronts. But hey, whatever floats my boat.