• 104 results
#1 Edited by thenexus (324 posts) -

Firstly if this is any form of repost - woops. The site is letting me know top men are working on the 500 error I get when I search :) 
This is not a rant about the site or the guys being crap. Far from it. The Giantbomb team are the best thing since when I was 18 meeting two twins and getting as far as fooling around on the sofa. 

The videos are amazing, the reviews for games come later then most other sites but these are the only ones I trust. If Geff says something I believe him. If he told me to run around naked screaming "I am a cupcake" Because it would mean the game I wanted to get would be better - I would do it! 

The site itself is amazing in functionality, what it does and the wiki based content over other sites is second to none. Whiskey Media are smart cookies.  For me though the design lacks quite a bit. I am a designer, I also develop (properly, I know Java (Even though its shite and I hate it over anything decent) and the design lacks and makes things hard to use. The forums for example I would love to be more active on but it annoys me. I would love to see a bit of a design team helping in this regard to up the anti on all the sites. I could rant about things but I wont.

Anyway...  

The only game related thing out there on the web that gets me my news was Kotaku but the people pulling the strings messed up all their sites beyond recognition, engadget and Giantbomb for me on my tech and gaming news with Tested being great too.  
The only thing I have to watch is Zero Punctuation. OMG! He hits everything to the point and sums up what we all think but do not say. Even the Giantbomb team do not come close to summing up the ball point's of a game as well as this guy. He wont stop you enjoying the game but he states the obvios so many people avoid saying. The team here are outstanding, The quick look concept has brought a whole new aspect to gaming media that no one comes close to out dooing for example, You see what you would come up against when you play a game or have issue with and Giantbomb does not shy away of pointing that out but... 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2757-DC-Universe-Online 

Bar Spilling my water on my desk laughing my head off, it hits all the truth. 

Giantbomb - PInch this guy, Hire him, do what ever it takes to get him on the team. If not do something similar? I just think his style on Giantbomb fits, it works. If I saw these videos with all the other great works the team is making DONE! 
All site moans I have would go ,This for me is the only missing link in the AWESOME video line up! We need this. 

Yep  this is a rant and people will not agree with me here of course, but had to get it on paper as it were. Been thinking this for a while now.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14463 posts) -

no fucking way, that guy is the world's biggest troll who says bad things about popular games to get hits. Sterling's worse, obviously, but yahtzee would not fit at all.

#3 Posted by pandorasbox (301 posts) -

he already works for escapist magazine.

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Yahtzee is great at what he does, but he's more of a comedian than a journalist.

#5 Posted by FlyingRat (1445 posts) -

Did you just call him Geff?

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

NO, He is awful.

#7 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" Yahtzee is great at what he does, but he's more of a comedian than a journalist. "
And people who mistaken him as a journalist, fanboy or not, needs to know this.
#8 Edited by Bocam (3563 posts) -

Bar Spilling my water on my desk laughing my head off,

What. Also who is Geff?
#9 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

People call him a troll because he points out flaws in popular games.

But I think he's ok. His reviews are usually pretty good.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (22737 posts) -

They really don't need to hire a professional troll.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14463 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" People call him a troll because he points out flaws in popular games.  But I think he's ok. His reviews are usually pretty good. "
he points out flaws in popular games because they give him hits; Sure, of course there's flaws in popular games, but he will often purposefully exaggerate details to make it seem worse than it really is.
#12 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Geoff Girstman? I love that guy.

#13 Posted by FateOfNever (1760 posts) -

This is not at all what I was expecting this topic to be about.  Also, no.  Just because you like him and the work he does does not mean he should be apart of Giant Bomb.  If that was the basis for the things they did, or the people they hire, this site would be garbage.  It is however perfectly ok to visit websites OTHER than giant bomb for things you find amusing/interesting.

#14 Posted by Three0neFive (2275 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" Yahtzee is great at what he does, but he's more of a comedian than a journalist. "
#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
" People call him a troll because he points out flaws in popular games.  But I think he's ok. His reviews are usually pretty good. "
he points out flaws in popular games because they give him hits; Sure, of course there's flaws in popular games, but he will often purposefully exaggerate details to make it seem worse than it really is. "
...for comedic effect. Yeah...
#16 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1783 posts) -

What they really need are filters for their database. 

Yahtzee they can do without.

#17 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

That review was totally ok. And it seems like this guy already has a job.

#18 Posted by FinalDasa (1253 posts) -

He just makes fun of games he isn't writing a consumer review. 
You're right he is able to highlight aspects of a game but he usually compares them to something vulgar for comedic effect. 

Also, another reviewer isn't what is holding GB back.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (13976 posts) -

I love Yahtzee but the voice of truth he is not. He's not a "professional troll" as some have branded him because I don't really believe the guy is putting out videos to simply enrage the public, but Zero Punctuation aims to entertain viewers far more than it does give fair appraisals of games, and I have no doubt that Yahtzee is entirely aware of his own hyper-cynicism. Honestly, look at his written work, you'll see the guy is able to talk intelligently about video games without ripping the shit out of them, the game-hating, swear-heavy reviewer that exists within the world of Zero Punctuation is a deliberate exaggeration for entertainment purposes. I mean no offence by this but if you honestly believe everything Yahtzee says in those videos then I don't know how you can stand video games at all.

#20 Posted by XFastfireX (35 posts) -

I followed Yahtzee since he first started out with a few youtube videos- suffice to say, his style can get tiresome. Intelligent and witty fellow, but Croshaw is a bit of a one trick pony, whereas I could listen to the Giant Bomb crew until the end of time.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" I love Yahtzee but the voice of truth he is not. He's not a "professional troll" as some have branded him because I don't really believe the guy is putting out videos to simply enrage the public, but Zero Punctuation aims to entertain viewers far more than it does give fair appraisals of games, and I have no doubt that Yahtzee is entirely aware of his own hyper-cynicism. Honestly, look at his written work, you'll see the guy is able to talk intelligently about video games without ripping the shit out of them, the game-hating, swear-heavy reviewer that exists within the world of Zero Punctuation is a deliberate exaggeration for entertainment purposes. I mean no offence by this but if you honestly believe everything Yahtzee says in those videos then I don't know how you can stand video games at all. "
It's actually quite shocking how many people presently in this topic think he is one hundred percent serious. It is actually a bit disturbing.
#22 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Yahtzee fits in very well where is is, and would not make sense as part of GB.

Beyond the simple personality conflicts that would arise, GB is more about the consumer advice angle of games while Yahtzee is focused on the overall state of games as an art form. Like he said himself, putting him on GB would be like hiring a butcher to suck off a pig.

#23 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -
@thenexus: 
 No, giantbomb is fine.

Also it's kind of messed up that you have a yahtzee video, that has probably been worked on for a few weeks with the script edited and compared it to Jeff and the crew's off the cuff observations....
#24 Posted by buzz_clik (6838 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
Precisely.

@Bocam said:
"...who is Geff? "
Y'know... The Geff.
#25 Posted by Trilogy (2570 posts) -

Fuck no.

#26 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @Gamer_152 said:
" I love Yahtzee but the voice of truth he is not. He's not a "professional troll" as some have branded him because I don't really believe the guy is putting out videos to simply enrage the public, but Zero Punctuation aims to entertain viewers far more than it does give fair appraisals of games, and I have no doubt that Yahtzee is entirely aware of his own hyper-cynicism. Honestly, look at his written work, you'll see the guy is able to talk intelligently about video games without ripping the shit out of them, the game-hating, swear-heavy reviewer that exists within the world of Zero Punctuation is a deliberate exaggeration for entertainment purposes. I mean no offence by this but if you honestly believe everything Yahtzee says in those videos then I don't know how you can stand video games at all. "
It's actually quite shocking how many people presently in this topic think he is one hundred percent serious. It is actually a bit disturbing. "
Agreed :S
#27 Posted by DonutFever (3518 posts) -

Never gonna happen, but that would be cool.

#28 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

While Yahtzee is indeed trying to get a rise out of fanboys and get clicks I do feel that his criticism do come from an honest place which is probably why he still is in business.

But yea he doesn't mesh with Giant Bomb at all, so not a good idea imo.

#29 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
@Bocam said:
"...who is Geff? "
Y'know... The Geff. "
No no no he meant...Geff.
#30 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@Claude said:
"  Geoff Girstman? I love that guy. "
Beat me to it!
#31 Edited by FesteringNeon (2153 posts) -

Personally, I can't stand the "run-on" sentence style.  : /
EDIT: I will say however, GB could use a few more funny, crazily edited videos like they used to do back in the Gamespot days, and this video.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" no fucking way, that guy is the world's biggest troll who says bad things about popular games to get hits. Sterling's worse, obviously, but yahtzee would not fit at all. "
Yea, pretty much. At least other troll personalities (Nostalgia Critic, Angry Video Game Nerd, slowbeef/Diabetus/Proteus/everybody else at retsupurae) tackle shit that's legitimately bad; Yahtzee just grabs some recent game from GameStop and comes up with an exhaustive list of all the things that are wrong with it. What about all the good parts of the game? WHAT ABOUT THOSE!?
#33 Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -

Needs more bacon. That's all I can think of.

#34 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

That dude was funny for about 4 videos, then just got annoying, I started to think that he now just picks out flaws because it's what he's become known for.

#35 Posted by LiquidSwords (2739 posts) -

A horrible idea in the GB forums? This must be a new thing!

#36 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Laketown said:
" no fucking way, that guy is the world's biggest troll who says bad things about popular games to get hits. Sterling's worse, obviously, but yahtzee would not fit at all. "
Yea, pretty much. At least other troll personalities (Nostalgia Critic, Angry Video Game Nerd, slowbeef/Diabetus/Proteus/everybody else at retsupurae) tackle shit that's legitimately bad; Yahtzee just grabs some recent game from GameStop and comes up with an exhaustive list of all the things that are wrong with it. What about all the good parts of the game? WHAT ABOUT THOSE!? "
Hm. I think you should be awarded the Misinformed Angry Forum Poster Of The Day award. He exaggerates for comedic effect, and he sounds off about legitimate issues with games with this comedic styling.

I'm not going to lie, I never thought the Giant Bomb community was so dense, it's almost hilarious in its own right. Yahtzee's interest is only bringing a comedic, but albeit relatively truthful opinion in a ponderous sense, and to make you think about modern videogame design in a different light. It's quite obvious that most people in this topic who's modern videogame design ideas are so thickly engrained, you strike down views that might challenge this notion, and label them a troll. I think that recently posted "Fair Game" video would come in handy right about now, because honestly, I am quite embarrassed for this community at the moment.
#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -
@Napalm: 

From what I remember (I haven't watched his videos in a long time), he doesn't really exaggerate; all of his complaints seem sincere, in some way. I'm just not a fan of how he hates every single game he gets. Again, it comes off as trollish, biased, flawed, and a bunch of other mean words I can say about him. I could cite some examples, but I won't :P. (That ":P" is my way of saying "let's move away from the serious topic, mainly because I hate Yahtzee and conflict.")
#38 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
" @buzz_clik said:
@Bocam said:
"...who is Geff? "
Y'know... The Geff. "
No no no he meant...Geff. "
What's a Geff?
#39 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Yahtzee's bias exists for absolutely every game, his bias exists for modern gaming as a whole. I believe there is much he does not like about modern videogame design, and rightfully so, and instead of bashing games relentlessly, he presents his distaste in a comedic manner with a sarcastic, exaggerative tone, but still thinks about the game in their own capacity and not in the spectrum of the industry as a whole. Most modern videogame reviews will never touch in a serious manner, tropes and trends that have been harmful to our industry as a whole. Yahtzee's comedic piece is simply trying to bring these opinions to the forefront, while still managing to be funny. 

Did you think for a second that maybe not everything is all fine and dandy with modern videogame design? As I mentioned, it is challenging your perception of modern videogame design, and most internet forum posters just can't deal with that.
#40 Posted by Siphillis (1286 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
In his videos, definitely.  But we get a glimpse of his more professional, intelligent persona in his weekly column, Extra Punctuation.  Something along those lines could work on GB, so long as Geff Jerstmann pens it.
#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" instead of bashing games relentlessly "
He doesn't do that?

@Napalm said:
" Did you think for a second that maybe not everything is all fine and dandy with modern videogame design? As I mentioned, it is challenging your perception of modern videogame design, and most internet forum posters just can't deal with that. "
Am I saying that everything is fine with video game design? Hell no. There are legitimate problems with modern game design, maybe (I mostly limit myself to older games, which have their own problems (obviously padding length, poor translations, etc.)). What I hate about Yahtzee (again, it's been a long time) is that he unconditionally hates EVERY SINGLE GAME OUT THERE, like everything is shit, and there's no hope for games. If you want to point out the problems with modern game design, then make a video pointing out the problems with modern game design; I'm pretty sure Movie Bob does that, maybe. Don't just make it your mission in life to hate every game that comes your way.

Also, I know that this is kind of irrelevant, but I feel like pointing out that there are also problems with how people perceive game quality. I'll just leave it with one example: it's the same as before, so it sucks. Why? Again, I know it's irrelevant, but at the same time, I feel like this adds something to the debate, somehow.
#42 Posted by JammyJesus (766 posts) -

No, also, he lives in Australia. 

#43 Posted by Mikemcn (6875 posts) -

Jeff might get in a fist fight with yahtzee, so I agree, as long as they live stream the fight.

#44 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Napalm said:
" instead of bashing games relentlessly "
He doesn't do that? "
Read my post again instead of cherry picking/misquoting what you want to respond to. 

@Video_Game_King said:
" Am I saying that everything is fine with video game design? Hell no. There are legitimate problems with modern game design, maybe (I mostly limit myself to older games, which have their own problems (obviously padding length, poor translations, etc.)). What I hate about Yahtzee (again, it's been a long time) is that he unconditionally hates EVERY SINGLE GAME OUT THERE, like everything is shit, and there's no hope for games. "
I never got rampant negativity from his comedic pieces. He may bring up issues with a game that don't work, but I've always felt most of his delivery was playfully poking at dumb things in videogames. I've always felt though, that the undertones of what he speaks about has an honest truth about modern videogames. 

I find the likes of Jim Sterling to be much more disturbing, offensive and downright unfunny. I'm not actually comparing Yahtzee to Jim, I'm merely bringing Jim up as he is almost universally disliked here.
#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -
@Napalm: 

I did read it, but he still comes off as the type of guy who relentlessly bashes games.

But he doesn't really come off as playfully poking fun at a game's flaws. It always came off as "here's a list of all the reasons this game sucks." Again, I feel like he genuinely thinks these games are as bad as he says they are. He may be pointing out legitimate flaws with games, but without a sense of balance (maybe point out some good stuff that games are doing? (VALVE DOESN'T COUNT!)), it, again, comes off as him aimlessly insulting video games.

I'm not even sure who Jim Sterling is.
#46 Posted by EpicSteve (6443 posts) -

The internet is totally missing the "voice of truth" you're talking about. I would like someone to take the comedy approach Yahtzee does but still put out a real review in the process. 

#47 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Jim Sterling is from Destructoid. He constantly does "stunts" to piss people off, whether it be writing a joke review, or posting something dumb on his Twitter. He's just all around annoying and random. 

He does, actually. Usually somewhere in the video review, he points out a few good things done right. But to me this seems acceptable, as I mentioned, I don't feel his reviews are rampantly negative. 

Honestly, I think this discussion should end here simply because we're going in circles now for the most part. Good debate, sir.
#48 Posted by Gamer_152 (13976 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I have to agree with Napalm on this one, I think you're assuming Yahtzee is attempting genuine analysis of the video game industry in Zero Punctuation and I think he's just a guy trying to make entertaining videos. Hell, there are a handful of games Yahtzee has repeatedly confessed to liking even through the exaggerated veil of Zero Punctuation, and he still mocks them mercilessly. As I posted earlier look at his written work, he's able to talk intelligently about games without just raining down constant hate on them. Yes, he endlessly belittles all games in his videos but I just don't feel that aura of sincerity you seem to do with his work, and it doesn't add up that he'd hate all games anyway. If he really hated video games that much I don't think he would have put the effort he has into becoming a games journalist and I don't think someone who limitlessly detests games opens a bar where people like him can enjoy video games either. Deary me, I seem to have stumbled into another internet debate again, haven't I?
#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -
@Napalm: 

To be fair, I wanted to end the debate around ":P."

I can't say much about Jim Sterling, since I haven't really seen much of him, and I'm guessing that he doesn't touch my beloved games. (I'm smart enough to know not to link THOSE.)

I'd say that taken as a whole, he's negative as shit, but instead, I'll just say that his method is flawed. Examples I can remember:

• Scribblenauts: I'm not creative enough to solve these puzzles; therefore, the entire concept is unsound.
  • Final Fantasy XIII: I only played the first five hours of this game, and I didn't like them; therefore, this entire 50+ HOUR GAME sucks. I use the fan's words both to validate this and to shoot down their own defenses, because logic makes no sense.
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii/Left 4 Dead 2: This game sucks because it's exactly the same; however, this game rocks because it's exactly the same.
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Fuck fanboys. That's why this game sucks.
  • Soul Calibur IV: I don't like fighting games; let me justify this by reviewing one fighting game that fans say isn't as good as other fighting games.
  • You're probably doing your avatar, right now. I'll stop.
#50 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Gamer_152: We just ended, actually, haha.