Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By penguindust
Where are you in the hierarchy?
As Lind_L_Taylor pointed out it isn't just gamers who are now socially accepted.  All forms of geek, dork and nerd have achieved normality among the public perception.  Movies have shifted from mocking the stereotype to celebrating it and now seeing people play games in a movie is about as normal as seeing them play pool or shooting some hoops at the basketball court. I think one of the chief contributors to this was the internet explosion in the 90s.  As technology moved into practically every American's home, the stigma that only lonely virgins who live in their parent basements could understand computers disappeared.  As the media immortalized tech-billionaires Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Michael Bloomberg it became apparent that being "nerdy" was not only okay but lucrative.  Networks focusing on the new "nerdom" sprang up with ZDTV (TechTV) and G4.  Geek had gone mainstream and now many of the habits enjoyed by the stereotype are just another aspect of a person's personality.  There may have also been a bit of evolution achieved by the nerd on their own in the process.  As being who they are became less something to be ashamed of they may have learned how to fit into a social society and involve themselves in things not geek as well.  The same guy who can recite all of Monty Python can also talk about Nascar or enjoy a night out at a dance club.   We, as a subculture, haven't attained complete unity within society but considering where we've been, we've made remarkable strides.  

Proximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Proximo

Unfortunately,  The stereotype was born from one simple fact.  Gaming was an easy environment for people who where not that social and found it difficult to talk with others.   Gaming provided an escape for many people that felt more comfortable in a virtual world than a real world.  Even if this does not describe all gamers, there are still many out there that fall into this Stereotype.

This does not make them bad people or looser's by any means, but this is where a lot of the stereotype comes from.

People who where Social Gamers never stuck out on anyone's mind because they seemed to have a functional life and kept things in balance.  The focus of this stereotype was on the people who did nothing outside of their virtual environment and people believed they where weird for it.

I have no idea what percentage of people fall into this category anymore, but with the popularity, technology and innovation found in gaming today.  The masses have accepted that Games are not some weird people who live in a closed fake world away from others.  Gamers fall into many categories today and it's more understood than before.

Professionals, Parents, Grand Parents and everyone in between.

I am certain that many gamers that fit into the old stereotype are still around, but I for one don't think they are weird in any way.  In fact, I believe that Network based games can help them realize that talking to others is not such a hard thing.  Now that I think about online gaming,  It's probably much harder to be comfortable with it in gaming than in person.  Most people in person won't be screaming at you or calling you a useless noob just because you died quick.   lol

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By ArchScabby

In my opinion the stereotype was never losers, but little kids who would play instead of doing their homework, or stoners who spend too much time at the circle K.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By Video_Game_King
PenguinDust said:
"

"
Do you have a larger version of this? (I'm referring to the non-thumb pic, in case you were wondering if I'm an idiot or not.)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By penguindust
Video_Game_King said:
"PenguinDust said:
"

"
Do you have a larger version of this? (I'm referring to the non-thumb pic, in case you were wondering if I'm an idiot or not.)"
Google "geek hierarchy" and look at the image results.  There are other types as well.
No Caption Provided
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Gaming is more mainstream now then before and part of popular culture. It's no longer nerdy even if I was gaming almost my whole life and seen the reception. I belive the reception changed because of the ps2, xbox360 and wii, which made it mainstream.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By keyhunter

You're forgetting Counter Strike.
Every Wigger and Vietnamese person in the country plays that shit. Still.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Unfortunately, it really depends on the person. I am pretty open about playing my Xbox all the time, and everyone's cool with it.

But, there is a pretty nerdy kid in one of my classes that always gets picked on (sometimes by my friends) because of his looks/figure and the fact that he wears a lot of video game based apparel.

Sad, I know, but that's how life is. As long as you're confident about it and aren't ashamed, everyone else should be ok with it too (at least most of the time).

Now WoW players on the other hand.....you're on your own :P

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By AgentofChaos

Yeah, When the fuck did this happen? Granted, we're a different kind of gamer because we actually go on gaming websites and care about events such as E3. Most people just want to know LIEK OMG WHEN DOEZ CALL OF DUTY COM OUT?!?!

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By tekmojo

We're still out there.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By Chummy8

It's just the complete mainstreaming of gaming.  I would like to put forth the point that there are just more than 1 type of gamer anymore.  Take people like me.  I grew up playing computer RPGS and have been playing games for 25+ years.  I'll play almost anything, but I haven't played 1 minute of either Halo or Call of Duty simply because I don't like generic FPS.

Then take those people who wouldn't play anything before the PS2 generation and only like shooters and games where you can blow up stuff.

Different strokes and all that.

I like to consider us all nerds and if you play video games (and especially go to sites like giantbomb.com) you are a nerd.  Embrace it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Lind_L_Taylor said:
"FluxWaveZ said:
"A long while ago weren't gamers categorized as people that have no friends and basically live in their basements?  Was that ever true?  Nowadays when gamers respond to how they were gamers during high school it seems like they didn't play video games that much.  They had friends, hang out with them, did outside activities and such.  It's like that stereotype was/is just associated to gaming for some reason but was/is not the case for almost all gamers..."

This was NEVER true.

FluxWaveZ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Drebin_893 said:
"Meh, I'm glad the stereotype's gone."
In a very weird way, I'm saddened by that. It seems as though the word "gamer" has lost a bit of the value it had when we were all nerds who had both braces and crooked teeth (somehow)."
It's not all that weird.  It is rather frustrating that people considered gamers were discriminated against but now it's considered cool by the 'cool kids' to be playing video games. Meowayne, a new type of entertainement media?  Seriously, I'm not sure such a thing is going to be invented.  It'll be improvements on existing entertainement forms but not a whole new one."
"Discriminated against?"  Are you shittin' me?   Did they give you daily beatings in school?  Were you told you couldn't have a job because you played games?  Did other kids laugh at you when you walked down the street?  Define Descrimination of  a gamer please.Actually, in my day, the discrimination was with action figures & D&D. You would never tell anyone about it. The funny thing is that a lot of kids still liked to play that stuff, they just kept it quiet so they wouldn't get their balls broke about it.So yes, if you're a grown man & you play with action figures, then I'd say you were a loser. Big Time.  Collecting them or setting them on your desk at work, this is not a big deal either.  D&D, video games, & so on, they have something for everyone & that doesn't make them losers...those are engaging activities.If you are a grown man & you play video games that are made for toddlers like "Animal Genius" & "JumpStart World to Kindergarten" then yes. You are a loser. Or perhaps mentally disabled.Everything else is just games you play for entertainment, like watching a movie, listening to a song, etc.  Games exercise your mind so that actually helps you in the long run.  Feel sorry for the non-gamers."
Dude, right now I'm in high school and I have no friends because I playvideo games!  No one takes well to those who play video games regularly in my school.  Unless they like sports.  Then it's all good.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Chummy8

Well the root of the stereotype is generally a person who lacks the improved social skills to make friends outside of their immediate surroundings.  IE:  no parties, no dates, not very popular in school.  Generally these people would stay home and play video games, or D&D with like minded people.  So the 2 facets were related to each other to the point that they became the same stereotype.

That said, if you're playing Call of Duty 4 on a friday/saturday night, have no girlfriend, and ony relate to people in your general surroundings...then you might be a nerd.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By FluxWaveZ
TekZero said:
"Well the root of the stereotype is generally a person who lacks the improved social skills to make friends outside of their immediate surroundings.  IE:  no parties, no dates, not very popular in school.  Generally these people would stay home and play video games, or D&D with like minded people.  So the 2 facets were related to each other to the point that they became the same stereotype.That said, if you're playing Call of Duty 4 on a friday/saturday night, have no girlfriend, and ony relate to people in your general surroundings...then you might be a nerd. "
So those who are considered losers usually go to gaming as an escape and that's why those who played video games were linked with that image?  I get that...  And what your descriptions describe me perfectly XD.

Another question: I always thought that nerds were more an image of someone who is very smart and into things that are not common likes (gaming, Star Wars, Sci fi...).  But they're smart.  And geeks are people that are not necessarily smart but that are into non-common likes.  But apparently geek = nerd...?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Chummy8

In modern slang they basically mean the same thing; generally a socially inept person.  But the actual definitions are much different.  So yes and no...nerds = geeks.

I'm only talking from personal experience ( I am a nerd and I like sci-fi, Star Trek, gaming, D&D) so I can't speak for everyone.  But as far as I can tell, most people who I talk to that like the games I like also like sci-fi, Star Wars/Star Trek, Heavy metal and are usually smart. (Even though I am slightly above average at best)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ryanwho

Loser gamers are calling themselves "core" these days, I believe.

Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Log
@punkxblaze said:
" Guitar Hero and the Wii happened, gaming became a fad, and now it's 'cool' to be a 'gamer'. Give it about three years and we'll all be back to being basement dwelling losers when roller disco makes its big come back. "
FUCK YEAH ROLLER DISCO!!!!!!!!!
DirtyFuture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DirtyFuture

Rhythm games, and competitive multiplayer are two of the big reasons why gaming has become more normal in our society, and WoW has started to break down the wall that gave the "loser" stereotype to MMO players.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By natetodamax

It's because people matured.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I want to keep my nerdy steretype so bad that I refuse to play WoW, COD4, or Halo 3, etc., you are no longer a gaming nerd if you fall for the hype of something extremely popular.

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By freakin

You're still a loser, but it's a generational thing, when our parents die(whether by our hand or not)  almost everyone alive will have played videogames.   In the end it will always be dorky and considered antisocial, just there won't be a lot of people bashing it. 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Red

The Wii.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Kazu666

I miss the stereotype :(  I hated seeing people at school who have just got into gaming this gen, talking like they know what they're on about cos they've played a bit of CoD4.

and the Wii.........i don't even want to waste my virtual breath describing my resentment for that pile of fail.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By VisariLoyalist

The stereotype is bred by the status quo of america, the media is run by people who are at least 40-50 years old and they just don't understand/accept the video game medium. All they can remember is the NES so they think it's only for children and childish adults. I think that after all those people are dead, maybe 20 years from now gaming will be well accepted in our culture. Also, hopefully we aren't all just waving our hands at cameras by that point.

TeganUrFit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By TeganUrFit
@Shadow2K6:  Truth.
aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#76  Edited By aaox

It's because we kick ass.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#77  Edited By JJWeatherman
I'm sure someone has said this already, but... I was born. OBVIOUSLY why gamers aren't losers anymore.
monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By monkey523

Society has changed who the term "gamer" includes.  As much as it pains me to say it, I believe gaming had become TRENDY.  It used to be that all gamers were "hardcore".  But with games going more mainstream, any popped-collar frat brah can play madden or halo3 and call himself a gamer.  Not to say that halo3 isn't legit, but if that's ALL you play, I got news for you: you're not a gamer!!

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79  Edited By Optiow

I don't know, maybe because gaming is cool now? I know some druggies and stuff who live to play GTA...

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Wolverine
@FluxWaveZ said:
" A long while ago weren't gamers categorized as people that have no friends and basically live in their basements?  Was that ever true?  Nowadays when gamers respond to how they were gamers during high school it seems like they didn't play video games that much.  They had friends, hang out with them, did outside activities and such.  It's like that stereotype was/is just associated to gaming for some reason but was/is not the case for almost all gamers... "
That sterotype is formed around fans of all new forms of media.