What has been your favorite 2015 GOTY video part?

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By youeightit

I've been enjoying this year's GOTY videos, but the one thing that totally killed me was this little detail: During Jeff's video, that ridiculous hip hop Christmas song that for seemingly no reason says "I'm tellin' all your homies" over and over again. It's been stuck in my head since I first watched it and it won't leave. And then I watched the video again and realized it only adds to the nightmare fuel that is Jeff Gerstmann in that video. I do think those mugs look delicious though.

Anyway, that's my favorite thing about the GOTY videos. All of Day 4 is my second place vote. What about you?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Honestly, I thought the skit videos this year were generally pretty flaccid. I liked Alex's first ASMR video. Also, the very meta Austin video about Dan's video was pretty amusing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Alex's video was brilliant in every way.

Vinny's Lockdown cover was special, and Jeff's segments were somehow both captivating. Austin's reaction video was stupid enough to make me laugh, too.

But yeah, ASMR with AXNR.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

The best bit was the opening to one of the videos with Dan looping on the Tricaster.

All the rest were what they were, not close to as good as years past.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Haven't watched all of them yet. Drew's guide to watching F1 was so on target man. Every race I wash down blue cheese, smoked salmon, pickled gherkins on crackers with a bottle or two lol.

Alex's book reading was great also.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the GBeast contributions were amazing, especially Austin's reaction video. Jeff and Drew were next best, followed by Jason.

Having said that, I don't think I hated any of them. Really makes me want to go back and watch through all the previous years' GOTY videos, as I normally skipped them until this year...for some reason.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AXNR and F1 watcher's guide. Vinny shredding to Lockdown was good.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By isomeri

Basically all the videos involving Alex, Drew, Jeff and Vinny. Austin reacting to Dan was pretty funny as well; and by funny I mean that the meta commentary contained within made me ponder the choices I make regarding my free time.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

The F1 skit was just too priceless. Everything about that video is my kind of humor! Solid work @drewbert!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate there work, but they all fell flat on me, as I don't really know any of the "youtube memes". I understand why they did it though, moving and no studio at all.

I really miss the skit at the end of videos from year past of one staffer playing a bit and explaining why their #1 pick was #1 though, I hope they bring that back next year when (if?) their studio is up and running.

euantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, definitely the how to watch F1 skit. Austin's reaction video was good too, along with Jeffs grocery haul.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By rethla

@takayamasama said:

I appreciate there work, but they all fell flat on me, as I don't really know any of the "youtube memes". I understand why they did it though, moving and no studio at all.

I really miss the skit at the end of videos from year past of one staffer playing a bit and explaining why their #1 pick was #1 though, I hope they bring that back next year when (if?) their studio is up and running.

As always Alex nails these segments and hit right home for me. This year i also laughed real good to the intro and outro of Jeffs fluffymugs or whatever they where ;) Jeff really knows how to nail parodies and may be the only (relatively) good actor at GB. But yeh bring back the extended quicklooks of your picks guys, that was the highlights for me.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I just think that it's funny that the crew often rips on things that are bad but try to make excuses by pointing out that they're bad when a couple of these segments were exactly that.

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Drew drinks that wine in the F1 skit... I lost it. I loved almost everything else, but I think the F1 skit is the one that made me laugh out loud the hardest.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I personally think a few of the bits went on for far too long, but I still enjoyed most of them. If I had to narrow it down though, the mini Drew and/or Jason bits and the second part of Hat Chat (who was the "youth minister?" I couldn't quite make it out) were my favorites. I think the ASMR bit and Vinny jamming along to Lockdown are tied for a close second.

Not my favorite GB GotY videos, but overall I thought they all did good.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the videos as a whole weren't as good as they have been in years past, especially the year they parodied all the tv shows (2012?). But I thought they did a good job overall (Brad's video was just tedious) with what they had going on this year. Having fallen down a YouTube rabbit hole more than once this year, I did think they nailed the spirits of the kinds of videos they parodied.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Humanity

Most of the skits were pretty weak this year. Dragged on for far too long which is why the Jason and Drew segments were the best in my opinion.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The best parts were definitely the little Jason and Drew vignettes. The YouTube parody video were almost too real for me (except Drew's "How to Watch F1" which was the perfect length and just kept getting funnier as it went). I also wasn't a huge fan of the voice Jeff was using for his videos. I'm not sure if he was going for valley girl or just trying a stereotypical gay man voice, but as a member of the LGBT community the idea that it's the latter is a little disappointing/uncomfortable for me. I'm sure he didn't mean anything harmful by it though.

Oh and a shout out to Vinny for teaching me how to properly chop onions and remove the skin from garlic.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Mine was technically two parts on Day 4. It was just the juxtaposition between Dan eating everything off the Taco Bell menu and Vinny's "artisanal" taco session. Those two parts, one after another made it so I couldn't stop laughing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best parts were definitely the little Jason and Drew vignettes. The YouTube parody video were almost too real for me (except Drew's "How to Watch F1" which was the perfect length and just kept getting funnier as it went). I also wasn't a huge fan of the voice Jeff was using for his videos. I'm not sure if he was going for valley girl or just trying a stereotypical gay man voice, but as a member of the LGBT community the idea that it's the latter is a little disappointing/uncomfortable for me. I'm sure he didn't mean anything harmful by it though.

Oh and a shout out to Vinny for teaching me how to properly chop onions and remove the skin from garlic.

Just curious, have you seen many videos of the type Jeff was trying to parody?

It was obviously a little exaggerated for comedic effect but he nailed the wannabe Food Network show host shtick.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@thelastgunslinger said:

Just curious, have you seen many videos of the type Jeff was trying to parody?

It was obviously a little exaggerated for comedic effect but he nailed the wannabe Food Network show host shtick.

I am proud to say I have never watched a real video of either type. Unless you count grocery haul videos Pat Baer has shown on the 404 Pax panel.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

They were all interesting in their own ways. I did like Austin's reaction video to Dan's video, but I have to say when Jason and Drew were fighting with foam that made me laugh. Jeff's Coco/Marshmallow cups where good too, but in a very un-ironic way.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1: Vinny Lockdown

2: Drew F1

3: Jason because ROCKET LEAGUE!!

I wonder if they'll ever top 2012 though? Those are the best ever.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was anybody else surprised that Dan didn't do anything wrestling related? I guess one could argue that he did that last year, but this IS Dan Rykert. He has a one track mind.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I haven't watched all of them yet, but Austin's gundam build on day one was pretty great.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they were all great if you know enough about the current state of YouTube. With that said, I pretty much enjoyed most of them except the DOTA bits (nothing wrong with them, they're just not my type of thing).

Austin's reaction video was the most spot on. Alex did a great bit satirizing ASMR. Jeff's videos were almost unsettling just because of how different the character was from his personality but hilarious at the same time because of the amount of subtle jokes and running gags he did (the hand behind the object to focus gets me every time). Vinny's cooking video was a delight I could watch as a series. Drew and Jason's videos were the easier to watch and their bits working on the studio were also my favorites.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brad's thing was almost unbearable, maybe/especially because it was somewhat believeable, but it was totally worth it for the second part. I also do love whenever Jeff acts like people acting embarrassingly overenergetic, so yeah. The ASMR thing was also funny, although kinda too long (as every skit, honestly)

Didn't really get the joke in some other segments outside of "There are Youtube Channels like this"

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As someone who likes watching cooking shows I legit enjoyed Caravella's Chitchen (kitchen), and I actually learnt something - making tortillas is easy and I'm going to try it.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry to say this but I agree with people saying that most of the skits felt flat. I get what they were going for and I like the idea and I get why they did that but some of them went on for too long.

Drew's "How to watch F1" was by far my favourite. Also, the intro skits with Drew and Jason, especially the Dan possessed Tricaster, where great.

Still, I'm amazed at what they pulled off without a studio.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I wasn't a fan of the skits this year. Most were far too long and overstated their welcome...

My favorites were Drew's F1 and the little skits Drew and Jason did, mostly because they were short...

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Jeff's grocery haul and Austin's reactions were the standouts to me. Dan's taco rating would have had more impact if I hadn't been watching him do it on Periscope at the time, but that's neither here nor there.

Austin did have the same reaction I did to Dan's Mexican Pizza score.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On top of having no studio I think they made it too difficult for themselves. I couldn't in my wildest fantasies come up with a youtube parody that's crazier than some youtube stuff that actually exist. It's the old "how do you parody something that already is a parody" -dilemma. But I still think they did fine. Drew and Alex were my favorites.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I think it was Jeff Bakalar. It sounded a bit like him and it would make sense since that was a joke they went with on the Beastcast for an episode or two.

The skits where ok, they did the best they could with limited resources, time and no studio. I thought Austin did the best job, Drew's was sold well. Dan either doesn't know how to eat a burrito or he was doing that for the video. A lot of them felt like they dragged on a bit too long though and by that point the joke had already played out.

I'd like to thank @vinny though for showing me the proper way to dice an onion. I've been dicing them like a sap all these years.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Without a doubt, Austin's reaction video. Had me in tears.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Y2Ken

As someone who watches way too much YouTube, these videos were incredible across the board for me. That song you mentioned definitely had me chuckling, but I think if I was going to pull out my top 3 absolute favourite moments from all the ones I could have chosen, I'd say:

- "Youth Minister" Jeff Bakalar singing to Sad Brad.

- The Dan Virus infecting the entire production room setup.

- Caravella's Chitchen. Vinny reinforced my desire to buy a tortilla press and gave me a neat new breakfast idea. Also:

No Caption Provided

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Dragon_Puncher

There was a lot of really good ones Jeff, Dan and Vinny all had great segments. Overall I think I liked Dan's the most, both for his evil laughter invading the tricaster and the strangly self reflective video about still making MM levels for Patrick.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Favorite was Drew's guide to watching F1. I'll admit, it didn't fully click with me until he takes the "wings" out of the oven.

Also liked ASMR with AXNR.

And:

@y2ken said:
- The Dan Virus infecting the entire production room setup.

was great, too. And Jason trapped under a pile of cables.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew's F1 had me laughing pretty hard and sharing it with a few friends. F1 beer haha.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ASMR with AXNR and the punchline to HATCHAT

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan infecting the tricaster

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most amazing thing about this year's videos is the bizarre meta nature of it that had me asking, "How much is actually real?" in a way like a Tim and Eric skit. Austin seems to be parodying building channels on youtube, but then you realize he actually built that thing and published him building that thing and yes it's a long skit because it probably took a fucking long time to make. Same with Caravella's Chitchen. It's obviously a parody, but at the same time it's a legitimate tutorial with good tips and he knows how to cook. It was fun to see the staff doing things they probably legit enjoyed doing. You know Jeff has secretly always wanted to do a real grocery haul.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty clear there was less effort put in them and it showed. I expected much more from GiantBomb as December was a very quiet month on the video-front, even UPF was very barebones and even skipped sometimes. So we were waiting for five videos that should make up for the month, especially from a paying user point of view, and for me personally it really didn't make up for it. Sure, there were some moderately funny segments, but there was a complete lack of actual link with GOTY awards nor was there any coherent element to them. GiantBomb's strength is the group on itself, not each person individually.

Last year was also pretty moderate, but at least at the end the whole group sat together to play the number one of one of the crew. The link with the awards was established, the group feeling as well. Of course, there are certain factors that made it difficult this year and I do understand this, but to be honest, if it would be another service or product I (or you) paid for, we wouldn't let it slide that easily.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kasaioni

Alex's ASMR with AXNR. Actually that was more disturbing than entertaining I think. But still funny.

I came to appreciate Austin's build session with realizing just how like those videos it actually is. Maybe a bit too like-those-videos.

Vinny's cooking show was amazing. And of course Jeff's grocery haul video was hilarious.

Drew's F1 segment took be a second; "wait, that doesn't look like beer to me".

And all the little studio bits were enjoyable.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Jeff mugs

2. Drew F1

3. Vinny's Lockdown

4. Austin's reactionvid