• 109 results
#51 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11619 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

1. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 represent. (yes 5 not 3)

Every single bitter disenfranchised Heroes fan now hates you. I don't (because eff those guys), and I think that Heroes V with expansions is probably a better game than Heroes III.

#52 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

Tie between Valkyria Chronicles and Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

I have finished neither.

#53 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

@9cupsoftea: When I try to start the game I get stuck on a loading screen like this

#54 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

@Shotgunblast97: I sent you a pm.

#55 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@Slay3r1583 said:

I was late to the game, only discovering it last year. I got into Europa Universalis 3. This was my first game playing as Austria to Holy Roman Empire.

This isn't turn based...

It's also the best strategy game ever, but totally in real time dawg.

#56 Posted by Slag (4237 posts) -

Oh man that's tough

Probably Fire Emblem : Path of Radiance

followed by

Final Fantasy Tactics

and the original

Vandal Hearts

#57 Edited by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Tennmuerti said:

1. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 represent. (yes 5 not 3)

Every single bitter disenfranchised Heroes fan now hates you. I don't (because eff those guys), and I think that Heroes V with expansions is probably a better game than Heroes III.

Heh. Oh yeah, all the stuff I listed i've mentally include the expansions by default if they exist.

From a more objective standpoint I can't really make a call one way or another what is a "better" game HoMM3 or HoMM5. There are certain aspect of 3 i liked more, and certain aspect of 5 i liked more. I just really really dug 5 a lot so i just like it more myself.

Both fantastic games imo.

Like I know that Fallout Tactics is nowhere near their (HoMM) league and lacks the large parts that made the (Fallout) originals great. But i'll be damned if I have not enjoyed coming back to it every 1 or 2 years and playing through again, again and again. It's weird even to me. Every time i think is the last time, it's not like i plan for it :P

#58 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Risk

#59 Edited by SwaziSpring (46 posts) -

There haven't really been any turn-based strategy games this decade. But of all time? Civilization II

#60 Posted by Chaser324 (6409 posts) -
  1. Civ V
  2. X-COM: UFO Defense
  3. Valkyria Chronicles
  4. Shining Force II
  5. Master of Orion II
#61 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6150 posts) -

Of the last decade? Civ V definitely tops the list for me, along with its predecessor. But I also really enjoyed Silent Storm, which is more of a tactical squad-based turn-based game.

#62 Posted by robododo (6 posts) -

Admittedly not that into turn-based strategy, but thought I'd add a couple of casual mobile ones that I enjoyed, just to have that end of the spectrum represented too: Hero Academy and Highborn.

#63 Posted by ToTheNines (710 posts) -

UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-com UFO defense, american title)

Jagged Alliance 2 as a close second. Fallout 2 is high on that list too, but I consider that more of an RPG with turn based elements.

#64 Posted by astrobomb (3 posts) -

Civ Rev and Hero Acadenmy are the two that I play the most at the moment

If you like this style of game there's a really good board game called Small World which is a bit like Risk meets Diablo

#65 Posted by BisonHero (6432 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I was a pretty big Fire Emblem fan up until Radiant Dawn came out. That game had some solid gameplay mechanics, and the control you had over each character's growth and role was great, but the game was at odds with itself. You never knew which group you were going to be commanding next, and whether or not some characters would still be in that group, or elsewhere for story reasons. By the time the final battle rolls around, the game just hands you a bunch of high-level characters with special abilities that are probably better than most of the characters you've been cultivating throughout the entire game. The game really turned me off the series, but Path of Radiance is still pretty awesome, though it lacks most of Radiant Dawn's character customization options.

I felt the exact same way about it. And if you bothered to look up FAQs/guides and KNEW which party members were going to leave your party frequently, it actually made the game even more restrictive than Fire Emblem games usually are, in that you KNOW which characters to use (because you'll be keeping them around and they need leveling) versus the characters you shouldn't use (because they're going to leave your group 1 mission from now). Radiant Dawn is still liked by the hardcore Fire Emblem community because they are all insane, but it felt like a pretty big misstep for the series. Being split into 4 different nations (and 4 different mini-story arcs) was fine, but where they went wrong was that even within those story arcs, characters are coming and going CONSTANTLY and you have almost no idea who to rely on.

#66 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I'd say Fallout 1/2 were my all time favorites. Nothing in the genre has really grabbed me as much since then. Civilization is definitely my favorite overall TBS series though, and a good game of that is always welcome.

edit: I also really liked the original Final Fantasy Tactics, but never got into the followups. I should give Tactics Ogre a shot again since the first times I played it (way back on SNES and again on N64) I got my ass stomped.

#67 Posted by BisonHero (6432 posts) -

@robododo said:

Admittedly not that into turn-based strategy, but thought I'd add a couple of casual mobile ones that I enjoyed, just to have that end of the spectrum represented too: Hero Academy and Highborn.

Hey now, don't downplay Hero Academy like that. There's an element of randomness in terms of what you draw, but that game is still highly strategic and challenging. Cartoony, yes, but not casual.

#68 Posted by robododo (6 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@robododo said:

Hey now, don't downplay Hero Academy like that. There's an element of randomness in terms of what you draw, but that game is still highly strategic and challenging. Cartoony, yes, but not casual.

Yea, I see your point. Casual may be somewhat downplaying the stategy involved. In any case, I reckon it's more accessible and the sort of thing you can pick up and play more easily compared to say a EU3, Total War or what have you.

#69 Posted by Village_Guy (2544 posts) -

I haven't played much TBS, as it is a genre that I only recently have gathered an interest in, so I would have to say Civ 5, probably X-Com Enemy Unknown when that comes out.

By the way, can anyone recommend me some good large scale RTS or TBS games, preferably with an economic and diplomatic focus and less on combat.

#70 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

Just bought Europe Universalis 3 on amazon today. can't wait to play .

#71 Posted by Lost_Remnant (108 posts) -

The Fire Emblem series with Command and Conquer bringing up the rear. Every Fire Emblem I've played is just about perfect to me and not beating Radiant Dawn is just about the only regret I have of not having a Wii anymore. I love the series so much that I'm considering getting a 3DS just for Awakening. As little as I want a Wii U I'd have to do some serious talking myself out of buying a 300 dollar system for just one game if they put a new one out for it. Moral of the story: I love me some fucking Fire Emblem dawg.

#72 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I'd have to go with Civilization V, followed closely by Civilization IV.

#73 Edited by ripelivejam (3788 posts) -

want to grab a psp on the cheap just so i can enjoy all the portable s-rpg goodness on that system

in response to thread: Civ II, now and forever.

#74 Posted by chip5541 (1 posts) -

I loved Silent Storm. I still play it.

#75 Posted by EerieTraveler (36 posts) -

Civ 4. Also the Total War games but those are hybrid turn-based/real-time.

#76 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

Disagea, it has a good story, its hilarious, and the combat is just tons of fun. Stuff like level cap of 999 and the never ending item world is just amazing. Though, I will admit Laharl becomes pretty OP so the game isn't as strategic as some other turn based games. I also really like Civ IV and V because they are just really addicting. There is always "just one more turn"

#77 Posted by Brofessor (25 posts) -

Etherlords II I adored that game, still have it on my pc. So thrilled that I bought it, never was into table top card games but I adored this game.

#78 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11619 posts) -

@Lost_Remnant said:

The Fire Emblem series with Command and Conquer bringing up the rear. Every Fire Emblem I've played is just about perfect to me and not beating Radiant Dawn is just about the only regret I have of not having a Wii anymore. I love the series so much that I'm considering getting a 3DS just for Awakening. As little as I want a Wii U I'd have to do some serious talking myself out of buying a 300 dollar system for just one game if they put a new one out for it. Moral of the story: I love me some fucking Fire Emblem dawg.

But do you love Fire Emblem as much as a crazy person, like me or ? Which is to say, have you played any of the Japan only games? Because lemme tell ya: the SNES installments are easily some of the best in the series. And then you get down the even darker hole of obscurity in Tear Ring Saga, which is Fire Emblem in everything but name.

#79 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

And then you get down the even darker hole of obscurity in Tear Ring Saga, which is Fire Emblem in everything but name.

And then you teach yourself another language because, who are we kidding: Berwick Saga's never getting a translation.

#80 Posted by Avesky (23 posts) -

Shining Force on the Genesis, Still wish that they put the third one out in North America. I heard they were doing a translation at one point but don't know what ever happened to that little project.

#81 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Advanced Wars is good times.

#82 Posted by kerse (2111 posts) -

Civilization hands down, after that probably FFTactics.

#83 Posted by falconpunch (177 posts) -

fire emblem

#84 Posted by Lost_Remnant (108 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Lost_Remnant said:

But do you love Fire Emblem as much as a crazy person, like me or ? Which is to say, have you played any of the Japan only games? Because lemme tell ya: the SNES installments are easily some of the best in the series. And then you get down the even darker hole of obscurity in Tear Ring Saga, which is Fire Emblem in everything but name.

I really wish I have, but sadly I've only played the one's Nintendo bothered to have released here in the states, not going to lie when I say I'm a little jealous that you guys have. I play a lot of games and like quite a bit of games and I'm not too hard of a person to please but there are just some games or series of games that I love so much that when I think back to them I go "man, that's why I love videogames" and Fire Emblem is easily one of the top's on that list of games for me. When it comes to strategy games and especially stratgey-rpg's Fire Emblem is easily my favorite and has yet to be matched for me. Damn, now I want to play some Fire Emblem, I should probably fish out Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on the DS. It does do my heart good that there are others out there who love this series as much or even more then me, I always feel like a crazy dude when I talk about Fire Emblem to some of my gaming buddies since they have no idea what Fire Emblem is or about and just sort of humor me when I talk about it.

#85 Posted by MrVideoGames (30 posts) -

X-Com & Civ, followed closely by Hero Academy

#86 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

In the last 10 years? Probably Civ 5.

Ever? Probably the first X-com or Jagged Alliance 2.

#87 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3197 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the psp version of Final Fantasy Tactics good game to play during break/lunches and bus rides, was able to stretch that game for about a year. Also a big fan of Valkyrie Chronicles, here's hoping that third one will make it to US shores in some form.

#88 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11619 posts) -

@Lost_Remnant: You know, it's not hard to find the japan-only games, complete with translation patches....Nah man, Fire Emblem is rad but it certainly isn't for everyone. But if you're going to play some legal Fire Emblem, don't play Shadow Dragon. Play some Path of Radiance or maybe some of the first one for GBA. Shadow Dragon is kinda boring.

Also, because I am an attention whore, here are the links to some review blogs I did on the SNES Fire Emblem games.

#89 Posted by Blannir (247 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles 2 after that probably Yggdra Union.

#90 Posted by Lost_Remnant (108 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: That's true, I just grew up playing strategy games while my gaming pals didn't so they don't have this huge appreciation of the genre that I do. Is Shadow Dragon not that great? Isn't it a re imaging of one of the Japan only ones that was much beloved? It's the only stateside Fire Emblem I haven't played yet. Path of Radiance is my favorite of the Fire Emblem's I tore through that game, I still have my copy around here, just no means to play it at the moment, so Shadow Dragon is my only option. I could also beat The Sacred Stones on GBA as well since I never beat that one, and it took me a few months to beat the first GBA one years back since it was my first FE experience.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely look over your review's I don't know all that much about the Japanese releases so it'll be cool to read up on those. Thanks duder.

#91 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11619 posts) -

@Lost_Remnant: I think that Shadow Dragon is probably one of the worst games in the series. It's accurate to the NES original in that the story and characters are pretty basic, and also more than half the characters you get are worthless from a purely statistical perspective and the game's one unique feature, the class change system, is stymied by the generally mediocre growths of everyone involved. Then you get to the part where you have to actively kill your own units to get to the side chapters and a lot of what takes place just makes me shake my head. Not that it should deter you, the gameplay is still very much Fire Emblem. Just don't expect GOTY material. (The other DS game, Shin Monshou No Nazo is a lot better, but it only came out in Japan and doesn't have a finished translation)

#92 Posted by Dracungon (2 posts) -

The Solar Realms Elite has allways been my favorite turn based game. I remember comming home from school every single day to play the turns i had collected while i was gone.

Luckily for me a new game has come out called Starpires Which is an amazing clone of SRE. It's free to play and freaking addictive! i mean my girlfriend is about ready to throw the computer out so i'll stop destroying all the empires around me and spend time with my space princess!!!

IF anyone gets the time to play this totaly free game and who may have played SRE, BRE or Tradewars check it out!!!

#93 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3794 posts) -

Rome Total War. I like a lot of others but it's one of the best games ever made. I know it has real time battles but in the past 10 years that's it for me.

#94 Posted by Pikawai (135 posts) -

Fire Emblem, Advance Wars are my all time favorite! Followed by Civ and Shogun.

#95 Posted by Pr1mus (3868 posts) -
  1. Civilization 5
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

and i think that's it.

#96 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Advance Wars: Dual Strike are the ones that immediately come to mind. If I had to pick a favorite I'd go for Advance Wars but it'd be a close call.

Though I haven't played FFT, Valkyria Chronicles, or a lot of other Fire Emblem games.

#97 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -
#98 Edited by DrDarkStryfe (1106 posts) -

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, mainly the PS2 entries.

#99 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic III.

#100 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

The Civilization series, so Civ V at the moment.