• 63 results
#1 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

I have been following all of the 4 main guys closely for years now, even back at gamespot and Jeff since the late 90's. 

Recently though, their talk and such has gotten me into things such as Star Trek: The Next Generation, Pokemon: Platinum, Deadly Premonition and most recently, Mass Effect. 

Okay, so last year around this time when Jeff and Ryan had like 3 bombcasts dedicated to Star Trek shows, I went hard into this show, I started looking around on what was the best series, which seasons, movies, lore...ect.  I got into Star Wars as a kid and loved the original 3 films after my cousin got me into them, but never got into Star Trek.  Like Jeff said, Star Trek was always that show on during dinner time and I remember it being on UPN and I would always fall asleep on the floor during the first 10 minutes or so.  It is not that I was bored or anything, but it was always on after dinner and I would be tuckered out from school. 

Next,   Pokémon Platinum  I was huge into pokemon around 1998 when they were the big thing, but after Red, Blue and Yellow, I kind of fell off.  I remember buying Gold, but only got through like 3 hours of it before just giving up on it.  Ruby/Saphire I skipped, Pearl/Diamon I totally skipped, but then Platinum came out and was not really all that hot for it until Ryan started talking about it somewhere for only like 10 minutes, but it was still enough to hook me back in. 

Deadly Premonition... Endurance Run... really 'nuff said.  This is personally my game of 2010.  Sure, it is not even close to the best, longest, most well-crafted game of 2010, but hell if I don't have fond memories of this being the one game in 2010 that I remember.  

And finally Mass Effect.  Jeff as well as the rest of the crew at the time were not too into Mass Effect and just kind of brushed it off.  Well at the time, so did I.  But then at the beginning of this year, they really started talking the hell out of Mass Effect 2 and it got me interested.  Sure, I could have just bought ME2 and played it.  But like Vinny did with Starcraft II, I had to play the original before I played the new one.  There is a lot of jank and a ton of just weird design issues with this game, but I kind of really like the story and I play bad games anyways, so what the heck, I gave this a go.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

The Persona and Shin Megami Tensei series as a whole. Without the Endurance Run, I would probably not know about these games that I've enjoyed very much.

#3 Edited by tobygw (580 posts) -

The second episode of the game of the year podcasts made me want to try Bioshock 2 and the Minerva's Den DLC. However by the end of that hour long argument I was just about ready to shoot myself.

#4 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

ecstasy 

#5 Edited by Yummylee (21498 posts) -

nnnnothing really. I don't share many of their enthusiasms towards their taste outsides of games, and the games that I end up buying I was already usually intending to get at one time or another.

#6 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

Sizzurp.

#7 Posted by EchoForge (154 posts) -

P4 (played another 80 hours on top of watching the entire ER) and Assassin's Creed II ('uh, uh, uh, uh'). I was interested in Borderlands because of them, too, but I didn't end up feeling that one.

#8 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Their Bad Company 2 TNT inspired me to get off my bed after being under anesthetic from wisdom teeth removal and beat their asses.

#9 Posted by Pickingwings (182 posts) -

Would have never played Super Meat Boy if it wasn't for Brad, and I probably wouldn't have picked up Picross 3D for my DS which would have been a total shame since THAT GAME IS AWESOME.

#10 Posted by MetalThrashingMatt (209 posts) -

Deadly goddamn Premonition
#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I just started buying Wii gear for my PC to play Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby's Epic Yarn in HD. Fucking awesome. 

I also beat Persona 4 in a few days of nothing but gaming and sleeping with a good buddy of mine. 

Oh, and I got heavy into Steam.  

And all of the other Whiskey Sites.

#12 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Crack cocaine. 

Need some fuel for those hardcore achievements grinds. 

Monster don't cut it.

#13 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" The Persona and Shin Megami Tensei series as a whole. Without the Endurance Run, I would probably not know about these games that I've enjoyed very much. "
#14 Posted by AceBlack19 (111 posts) -

Much like yourself, Deadly Premonition. I didn't think for a second I'd actually purchase the thing when they started the Endurance Run, but it didn't take long until I wanted to try my own hand at being Francis York Morgan

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

I now own a PS2 thanks to the Persona 4 endurance run. I have yet to actually buy Persona 4, despite getting said PS2 around 2 years ago, but I did get Persona 3 FES, a game that I enjoyed quite a bit. Probably have been inspired to get some other stuff because of quick looks, but I wouldn't say that my tastes have been heavily influenced by any of the GB staff. I do say "Janky" a lot more though.

#16 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -

Deadly Premonition. Also, the Persona series, which lead to me paying more attention to Atlus as well. It also got me more interested in Japanese media, and now I watch a lot of anime. So, Giant Bomb indirectly got me into anime.

#17 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Naked Cartoon pus....  I can't do it. It's not in me.

Anyways, the question for me is "What have you gotten into that Giantbomb dismisses." 

I know it's all about personal preferences but man, when they dismiss a game, they really go all out. 

Their QLs, whether or not their opinion is positive or not seems secondary to my judgement. If I like what I see, I get it.

#18 Posted by GwardyJay (17 posts) -

I'm looking into Deadly Premonition 'cause of these dudes, but most recently they got me to purchase Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare. You guys hurt my wallet....

#19 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -

Hot water.

#20 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Giant Bomb is a hell of a drug.

#21 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I dont let these or any other guys "get me into something", they are yet another source of information for me to base my decisions on.

#22 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Only thing I can really think of right now is Picross 3D.  I probably would have forgotten about it completely if it wasn't for the GotY stuff.

I'm sure there's probably others.

#23 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Photoshop.

#24 Posted by Somadude (549 posts) -

Blogging. Though that's mostly because there are some really good user blogs on the site.

#25 Posted by weegieanawrench (1937 posts) -

Deadly Premonition and live streams. 

#26 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (615 posts) -

Promiscuous sex

#27 Posted by RTSlord (1200 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Giant Bomb is a hell of a drug. "
yes...yes, it is
#28 Posted by fazzle (305 posts) -

Super Meat Boy.   I had seen stuff about the game, but never really got that into it until I saw the QL.

I'd like to say Deadly Premonition, but I actually had already started playing through the game by the time I saw any of the Endurance Run

#29 Posted by FLStyle (4665 posts) -

Thanks to things like Brad's Mass Effect 2 video review and the Persona 4 Endurance Run I'm playing games I would've never done beforehand.

In short, GB has broadened my horizons and make me more worldly, thanks to you GB!

#30 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

#31 Posted by gamefreak9 (2358 posts) -

Fat people!

#32 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Alot of memes no one outside GB gets :/

#33 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Oh, almost forgot.... 

Where's my skull?
#34 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

Dave Snider got me into King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame

Also, the guys had me really thinking about buying an arcade cabinet after a few of the bombcasts this past summer. I'm glad that urge died. 

#35 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -
@ImpendingFoil said:
" Sizzurp. "
#36 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

Dudes... GiantBomb got me into dudes.

#37 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Cryostasis and Burnout Paradise

#38 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

I will have to say that I love Jeffs unwavering fondness for The Fast and Furious.  I love the original and even Tokyo Drift and 4 were not terrible either.  2 was not my favorite for whatever reason. 

I am also a masochist when it comes to my videogaming even before seeing how Jeff and Vinny play videogames to death...even bad videogames. 

#39 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

It's hard to say. This is where I get my current gaming news, so I don't know what they specifically have turned me on to. Certainly DP, but going back in time I'm sure that they have gotten me into plenty of things that I would have missed over the years.

Oh yeah, Tokyo Drift. I am GOING to see Jeff at GDC and I am GOING to make him sign my HD-DVD of Tokyo Drift. Freaking stupid movie.

EDIT: oh yeah, now that I read all the comments I have to give props to Cryostasis, which I am really looking forward to playing properly next time I upgrade my graphics card.

#40 Posted by EuanDewar (4890 posts) -

Wicked Shit.
#41 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1869 posts) -

a lot of trouble.

#42 Posted by WildZero11 (4 posts) -

The past couple of podcasts have gotten me to go back and try out all the Assassin's Creed games. 

#43 Edited by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

Well, first and foremost, the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.  I vaguely knew about them from Shane Bettenhausen talking them up on the old 1UP Yours podcast, and I recall seeing some reviews of SMT: Digital Devil Saga on X-Play.  I wanted to try one but I really wasn't quite sure where to start.  Then GB began the Endurance Run and so I picked up SMT Persona 3 & 4.  Well the rest is history after than and I am a solid fan of the series having experienced about 5 of the games so far. 

Also, not so much the GB staff, but the GB community inspired me to try out a couple of F2P MMOs thanks to a brief community gathering in Runes of Magic.  And, I guess I could say that the QL of Dragon Age: Origin made me (a) buy that off Steam, (b) upgrade my PC to better run Dragon Age, and (c) purchase more Steam games because my PC was upgraded.  

Oh, and anal beads....yeah, uh, sweeeet. 

#44 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4705 posts) -

Deadly Premonition, Super Meat Boy, StarCraft II. Also, while it was largely negative, Brad's Fable III review got me to pick that game up. There was a bunch of stuff he hated that I loved.

#45 Posted by raidingkvatch (1151 posts) -
@WickedCobra03: mad shit, and a lot of trouble.
#46 Posted by ikabubu (210 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Giant Bomb is a hell of a drug. "
Sure is.

Ok, let me put it this way: Giantabomb did not get me into a game.

Instead, it's made go out and import some Swedish candy. If anybody can hook me up with hockey pulver (hockey powder), that'll be great; it's the last one I haven't gotten.
#47 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -
@ikabubu:
Glad you like it, I don't get the hate. It's tasty. Salty goodness.
#48 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Not so much the guys, because I don't listen to the podcast, but the forums have got me into Minecraft and MBMBaM, which are, incidentally, an awesome combination.

#49 Posted by ESREVER (2682 posts) -

Oddly enough, Anime and JRPGS. Funny how that works, huh? 
GB was also my inspiration to pick up Super Meat Boy. More specifically, hamst3r inspired me to pick up SMB. 
It's safe to say the community has inspired me more than the staff. Although I guess the interest in JRPGs started with the Persona 4 ER. SO I suppose they can take credit for that.

#50 Posted by armaan8014 (5378 posts) -

naked cartoon pussy