• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

Hey gang (the good kind of gang. Not the...y'know... criminal kind), this is a new feature that we are experimenting with.

We want to round up all your weekly interactive adventures into a single thread every weekend, so we can see what's hot and what's not. C'mon guys! It's going to be fun, fun, fun, fun...

We want to hear about:

• What games you have been playing
  • What you liked and what you didn't
  • What you plan on playing this weekend

So Giant Bomb! What have you been playing?

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

I've been playing quite a bit of Frozen Synapse. I'll get you back for that flawless victory you had against me Sweep!!! Just you wait!!!!!!!

#3 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

I'm in Italy away from my consoles and my PC so the only thing I have played is Zelda OoT for the 3DS. Never played OoT before and I really like it, more than Twilight Princess actually, which is weird considering Twilight Princess is the modern version of OoT.

#4 Posted by Chris2KLee (2334 posts) -

Finally making my way through The Witcher.

#5 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I've played Minecraft, it was pretty fun. I don't plan on playing anything this weekend.

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I've been playing a few different things, mainly TF2, Halo: Reach and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I guess I've enjoyed the ridiculous number of collectibles in Brotherhood, the fun of the core gameplay in Reach and just the batshit insanity of TF2. The occasionally awkward camera in Brottherhood has been a problem though, I've had to put up with certain less than likeable people in Halo: Reach and in TF2 I've had a number of battles which have just kind of gone nowhere. I don't have any particular plans for what I'll play in my free time this weekend but I'm betting I'll end up on Reach again.

#7 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever and I dont know why.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I have been playing Alice: Madness Returns and I'm loving it. The gameplay really does take me back to the 3D action platformers of the 90s . The visuals style is stark and bizarre with great colors. The characters are quite creepy and memorable, and I especially like this game's version of the Cheshire Cat. The music in this game fits perfectly, very dark one minute and light and airy the next. I LOVE this game.

#9 Edited by SMTDante89 (2568 posts) -

I've been playing six games.

Fallout: New Vegas. I'm really enjoying it so far. Decided to restart early on because I didn't quite like the outcome of a quest and I didn't have a save close enough to that quest so I decided to start over, and I had no real problem with that.

Shadows of the Damned: I like the gameplay so far and like the interactions between Garcia and his Johnson. The humor is pretty funny (some of the penis jokes are actually funny too, surprisingly) Going through it on Legion Hunter (Hard) so I'm taking my time with it.

Deadly Premonition: Never saw the ER for this, and wanted to experience it for myself. Gameplay is ok, but I'm enjoying the story and quirky humor. Isn't that right, Zach?

Alice: Madness Returns (and the first game that's included): I like it.

Mortal Kombat: Mainly for Kenshi. I've said plenty about how much I enjoy MK (potential GOTY for me)

L.A. Noire: Played it at a friend's house. I enjoyed what I've played so far, but I'll probably wait for a price drop before I take the plunge.

As for this weekend, I'll probably focus on Fallout: New Vegas and might play some Rock Band 3, it's been a while since I played it and would like to get back into it. Also, Puzzle Agent, since my friend gifted me a copy on Steam.

#10 Posted by Gnomicidal (92 posts) -

I picked up Singularity in the Steam sale and have been loving every minute of it. Great, underrated game.

#11 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

I've mainly been playing a cross between Ghost Trick, and because I'm at my girlfriends for the week, we've both been playing Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light on the DS. Hoorah

#12 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I've not been playing enough games this week; just lots of Tiny Tower and Puzzle Agent on iPad, and watching the other half play through Shenmue. Damn I'm becoming a 'casual' gamer, send help!

#13 Edited by Hass (54 posts) -

I just pulled out my old box of Planescape Torment again, after watching an interview on Matt Chatt, with Mr. Chris Avellone.
The characters and the story still feel intriguing, the graphics are okay, but then again, I grew up with them.

Before that, I pulled out my old copy of Archimedean Dynasty. Now, that was something completely different.
It runs quiet well in the DosBox, but the glide wrapper chokes on it. For a Dos game from the 90s the 
controls still feel pretty well, but without the manual you are lost. And I gotta say, my native skills
to keep oversight in a 320x200 resolution are a bit rusty. But the story is still captivates. And damn
that story, without it, I would lay this gem to rest. But it's stronger then me. I must suffer me through it.

The restoration patch for Fallout 2 has come a long way, so it's time again for the at least one yearly
playthrough of Fallout 2. Maybe Fallout 1 too. These games aged well, and there are still new
possibilities to find, for alternative approaches.

And finally I got Incubation working with a 3dfx glide wrapper, and darn, I love this game.
Turn based strategy at it's finest. I wished there would be game like this on the horizon.

Planned next: Bullfrog's Syndicate and Syndicate Wars.

#14 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

NHL 11 
GTA 3 
TF2 
BTTF:part5 
some others small things. 
I decided to post my thoughts as audio. Sorry for the click noise in the middle I must have been tapping my hand near the mic  in my subconsciously. Next week it will be done better I promise. 
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9366858/gbwhatIbeplaying8-7-11.mp3 

#15 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

About 3 hours of The Longest Journey - Already finished it 10 years ago, still love it.

About 2 hours of Singularity - Also already finished that one, but had to look into it again.. it's still cool.

About 1 hour of Cryostasis - That game runs like crap.. but the narrative is pretty cool, I really like the atmosphere and it looks pretty amazing, too. It doesn't have the best gameplay though.

About 40 minutes of Far Cry 2 - It's alright so far, expected far worse.

About 1 hour of Aquaria - An interesting concept and fun to play, but I guess you have to be in the right mood to be able to play it.. it starts off very slow.

About 3 hours of Portal 2 with the developer commentary on.. what a great game.

I also did some of the Steam Sale achievements, Beat Hazard was pretty tough.. took me over an hour to finish it (listening to Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything For Love). :)

@Sweep: Precise and FUN enough? :p

#16 Edited by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

The tickets giveaway and sale on Steam has me trying lots of games for short bursts, stand outs include Frozen Synapse, Sanctum, Spacechem and Magicka. And as always TF2.

#17 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Went through Uncharted, Professor Layton and the Curious Village and Uncharted 2.

In that order.

Such a big deal was made about the fact that the enemies in Uncharted 1 were annoying bulletsponges, and Uncharted 2 is so goddamn amazing because among a million other things, they totally fixed that.

WHAT

GAME

WERE

YOU

PEOPLE 

PLAYING

Enemies in Uncharted 1 are waaaaaay less bulletspongy. They didn't fix the sponginess in the second game, they just justified it with some huge armor that the enemies are wearing. If 2 RPG hits to the face aren't enough to take down a HUMAN wearing thick armor on default difficulty, then something is very messed up in your game. Pointing an assault rifle to the face of a HUMAN and emptying an entire clip and then seeing them only lose a helmet is absolutely ridiculous. When the twist in the enemies comes up near the end of the game I was ready to stop playing and give it a 2 stars, because shooting 5 clips worth of M4 bullets into their faces didn't do shit.

I might go ahead and Platinum Uncharted 1. I might go ahead and play some multiplayer in Uncharted 2 and never touch the single player ever again. 

On a happier note, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is amazing. I can't believe that game had such great plot in it, because there's absolutely no need for a game like that to even have a story. Near the end of the game I was running past most puzzles just because I wanted to see where the story is going - and that's just weird.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Quite a bit of Aquaria. I should probably get around to beating it, given that I'm pretty much at the "just beat it already" point.

#19 Posted by Tofford (532 posts) -

Been playing a lot of LA Noire and while my feelings are generally positive I am not sure how my review will pan out when I get round to writing it.

Halo Reach: It is always good when I get back from Uni to just sit down and play some multiplayer with friends

#20 Posted by Dethfish (3646 posts) -

I have been playing MW2 because I hate myself, I guess. That game continues to be fun and completely infuriating at the same time. I have been mainly playing it so I can reach my sad goal of 100,000 kills. I've also been playing Trials HD because I love that game. I sometimes spend an hour or more on a single track just trying to improve my time by a couple of seconds. Played a little bit of Super Meat Boy too. I'm trying to get 100% completion in it and ultimately and S rank on GB.

I haven't really been buying or renting new games lately. That will probably change soon though since there are quite a few games that have come out recently that I really want to play, like Portal 2, L.A. Noire and Child of Eden.

#21 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@emem said:

About 1 hour of Aquaria - An interesting concept and fun to play, but I guess you have to be in the right mood to be able to play it.. it starts off very slow.

I've been playing Aquaria this week too. It starts off slow, but give it another hour or so. The game definitely becomes more than "swim around this 2-D ocean". It's a pretty well made Metroidvania-esque game. Once you start getting to temples, it becomes much more action-y. 
#22 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

@HarlequinRiot: Yeah, I'm not saying that it's bad, I enjoyed it. I'm just not in the mood to play something like it right now.. but I will finish it sooner or later. :)

#23 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I finally started playing Mass Effect 2 and it is AWESOME

#24 Posted by Thoseposers (783 posts) -

Thanks to the steam sale i have a bunch of stuff to play which for the first time almost feels like a hassle but i don't mind :D

• The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (Virtual Console), I never played all the way through it and with the 3DS version out i wanted to actually get into it for once.
  • Far Cry, got this from the steam sale for cheap luckily it runs on my laptop and i've only started playing it. I remember it looking WAY better than it actually does which is strange.
  • Zen Bound 2, it was like $1 on steam so i picked it up and realized i had seen it before but i wasn't sure where. It's nice and relaxing and different from any other puzzle game.
  • Puzzle Agent 2, my girlfriend and i had been waiting for this one to come out and we're already a bit into it and it is just as good as the last one. I love the hilarious sexual tension between nelson and the girl, it's just the right amount haha
  • Torchlight, i never thought i'd be into this game but man is it good. Playing as the lady marksman lets me blow shit up from long range. I'm just hoping the armor at the end of the game looks incredible.
  • Gemini Rue, finally getting into this game. It's really awesome seeing a game like this come out and i'm trying my best to stick with it even though i have all these other games.

That's pretty much it. It's been a busy week and i'm just trying to crunch through each one of these games and enjoy them as much as possible

#25 Posted by Dimsey (951 posts) -

Still trying to finish Duke Nukem Forever. Takes a lot of effort just to put the disk in.

Also when my brothers had time we've been playing Minecraft and Neverwinter Nights 2 multiplayer, which has been fun.

#26 Posted by Simmse (135 posts) -

So is this topic is for Talking Amongst Yourselves? 

I bought The Witcher 2 on the steam sale, so i decided i should probably play the first one (that i've had for while). I've only got up to chapter 1 and i can tell this is going to take a while.

#27 Posted by Bumpton (445 posts) -

I've been playing Darksiders like crazy! I picked it up for $5 from the Steam sales. I was pretty apprehensive about it previously, but I've been wanting to play something Zelda-esque and it totally scratches that itch. There's a lot more to that game than I was expecting! Just about to finish the first real dungeon. 

I've seen lots of people talking about Aquaria lately. I remember trying it a while back... I don't remember why exactly, but the controls annoyed the crap out of me. Should I be using a gamepad or mouse and keys? I didn't realize it was essentially a Metroidvania game! 

I'll probably stick to Darksiders this weekend. That thing really sank its teeth in me!

#28 Posted by GullumF (87 posts) -

will be finishing Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 and Star Wars Force Unleashed 2, have Portal 2 coming and Catherine.

#29 Posted by Stitches (53 posts) -

Been playing singularity, its amusing reminds me of bioshock.
 Next i prolly play RDR undead nightmare

#30 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Alpha Protocol 
It's fucking awesome, Creeping up on people while being invisible and stabbing them in the throat, people should check it out. 

#31 Posted by Nux (2335 posts) -

I've been playing a bunch of Disgaea Afternoon of darkness. After many years my freind finaly convinced me to buy and play that game, let me tell you that game is bananas. As for what I'll be playing this weekend....more Disgaea.

#32 Posted by Captain_Insano (1535 posts) -

Steam sales got me back into my PC and paying attention to that.

I finished all the Back To The Future Episodes, went through episodes 3 - 5 this week.

Also logging some time into Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (yes I'm a noob at that game) and I am really enjoying it. I have logged about 5 hours and 0 of those are singleplayer.

On console I played through the Nicholson Electroplating DLC for L.A Noire tonight which I really enjoyed. They could put out one case a month and I would keep getting those. The gameplay is not great but the story and cutscenes are amazing.

Still working through Infamous (one) as well, most of the way through that though.

I plan on playing Portal 2 and Heavy Rain when those arrive (bought them from UK, shipping to Aus, takes a while but is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them here)

#33 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I've been playing Dreamfall and TF2. I already love TF2, but I just found out about Dreamfall. It's a really great adventure game.

#34 Posted by mrangryface (775 posts) -

I finished Dungeon Siege III last week (huzzah- I think) and got my shooter craving out of my system (Mushihime)

• Alice: Madness Returns (PC): With Dungeon Siege III out of the way i'm going to focus on Alice this week. I've made it to the second 'world' or whatever and i'm really enjoying the game a lot. The combat is a mix of twitch and strategy- a good bit of mixed group combat; forcing you to prioritize different targets and then use Alice's different weapons to exploit their weaknesses. I also think the games art direction is pretty great- teapot enemy is my favorite so far- Upgraded Hobby Horse weapon is king.
  • Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (360): Having played the first two games to death, I guess you could say I am a fan. I actually imported DWG3 and dumped about 20 hours into it before I realized that without a silly story and localization it was getting hard to keep my momentum- so here I am again. All n all, great game- second best out of the three. The original game is still the best despite lacking the more advanced gameplay mechanics of the third game; there's a lot to be said for a really well-rounded experience. The second game is still garbage; giant gundam fights are horrible, everything is way too grindy- story mode is barely that.
  • ARMA II (PC): Was gifted this one STEAM- so far all i've done is shoot the rifle range instructor in the crotch, high-center my humvee on a low wall, and shoot a few trees with an expensive javalin rocket. Still- the game is WAY easier to play than Flashpoint- so off I go!
  • Pokemon: Black (DS): Mostly been playing this while watching people fail at life in TLC and A&E shows. Not much else to say other than I need to get off my butt and finish this- or just give up and continue playing Dragon Quest 6- which i've been doing on the side anyway.
#35 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

Crysis 2 online, a little bit of FEAR 3 and... that's about it. I got the Valve complete pack over the weekend and I played a shitload of it Sunday and Monday, but since then I had to go back to work and haven't had time to play many games yet.

#36 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Been playing 

• Alice: Madness Returns  
  • Assassin's Creed 
  • Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  • Bioshock
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER 
  • BIT.TRIP BEAT 
  • Borderlands 
  • Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway 
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition   
  • Infamous 
  • L.A. Noire 
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
  • Hydrophobia Prophecy  
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl 
  • Team Fortress 2

I play waaaaay too many games at the same time to participate in this 
#37 Posted by dudeglove (7770 posts) -

Infamous 2, which I highly recommend. Very solid sandbox, with a great finale on both karmas. Brad's opinion on Infamous 2 is crap, because he keeps getting killed.

Plenty of other shit via steam sale as well (TWO DAYS LEFT KIDS!).

Will probably shoot F2P newbies in the head at the weekend on TF2.

HAPPY NOW BURGERATOR?

#38 Posted by Savior82 (28 posts) -

Purchased the Beat Hazard Ultra addon from Steam sale and sunk couple hours into that. Quite enjoyable and the new weapons spice up the gameplay nicely.

Picked up Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 finally now that it's out in Finland too, last night went by so fast. I love the new graphics effect they added to it, makes it more cartoony like. Going to spend many more hours on that game for sure.

#39 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

This is a +1 spam topic, which is generally frowned upon in this community. Lock inc.

#40 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Also I've been playing Far Cry 2.

#41 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

Atom Zombie Smasher, really enjoyable game especially when i picked it up for $3. I've also been playing copious amounts of TF2 and LA Noire

#42 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I bought Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days for £9, and it was the Limited Edition of the game. Perhaps better yet is the fact I have Kane and Lynch: Dead Men in Limited Edition form as well - and the code from Dog Days worked as well so I'm getting freebies with a used copy of the game which is rather lucky. I'm playing it through on Extreme difficulty and in some weird way I'm having a good time with the game. I've also been playing Call of Duty: Black Ops online when I have nothing else to do or I'm not in the mood for something else.  Not only that but I've been dipping into L.A. Noire and trying to get some five-star cases here and there so I can maximise my achievement potential from the game.

Oh, and I also played some PGR4. I was close to a few achievements and I grabbed as many of them as I could within a short period of time. I'll be able to get 'I Love PGR' at some point soon as well (Reach Rank 1 and buy everything in the PGR Store including the 1,000,000 Kudos Gamerpic). I bought then Dashboarded like an idiot, meaning I have to re-buy it and also finish out the rest of the store at some point. It's a fun game though - it has the best arcade handling of any game I have ever played, I think.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (24425 posts) -

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift on PS3 and Continuum Shift II on 3DS. I'm nowhere near skilled in the game and only just got back into it, but damn if it isn't fun. I'll likely be playing more over the weekend.

#44 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

BFBC2, Thief deadly shadows, Dirt 3, Black Prophecy Beta

#45 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Apart from buying games left and right on Steam and playing Valve's game of collecting tickets, the only game I've been playing for the past week is Realm of the Mad God.

The blame for this lies solely with RPS and their series of articles about it since last friday. I like its frantic mess of bullets when you're in a group, as well as the careful exploration and skillful dodging when soloing. Also, permadeath.

What I don't like is the "free to play" part of the description "free to play 'dual-joystick' shooter MMORPG", mostly because that means micro-transactions. While they have some compelling offers, like extra character slots and storage space, everything seems slightly too expensive even with the €/$ conversion as it is.

For now I still have a bunch of classes to unlock before I start worrying about that, so I'm sure this weekend will see me attempting to level up another character to try and slay the Mad God Oryx, fail miserably, and try it some more.

#46 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

After finishing Nier (which was amazing by the way) I felt obliged to buy that used copy of Drakengard from my local Gamestop, so I did just that and grabbed Brütal Legend while I was at it. Those two are on hold until I get my fill of Jamestown and Alpha Protocol though.

AP has been a much more positive experience than I expected, going in understanding it's not Gears of War helps. Critical hitting dudes with a pistol and going rambo with a shotgun when needed has worked well.

Jamestown is amazing with an arcade stick.

Obligatory Cockatrice MTG match here and there with a friend and I'm set.

#47 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

Got into the Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta.  Been playing that a bunch.  Bought Alpha Protocol during the steam sale as well as Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. 

Alpha Protocol isn't great, but for $5 it was well worth it.  And Vampire: Masquerade is amazing.

#48 Posted by DonChipotle (2730 posts) -

When I'm not playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 to death (gotta get those friend levels up, man) I find myself playing Borderlands, which I got off of Steam when it was on sale. That game is pretty fun.

I'm also playing Tomb Raider Anniversary since I picked up that, Legend, and Underworld yesterday. While I enjoy playing it, all I get from it is that Lara Croft hates animals.

#49 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

A lot of TF2

#50 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -

I've been playing Paper Mario. Yep, the original one. Never finished it before this, and I loved Thousand-Year Door, so I figured I should come back and play it. I'm loving it. A great mixture of humor, accessibility, and originality (especially in terms of the partner aspect, the leveling and battle system, etc).