• 56 results
SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By SourMillennia

First off, I am not an Apple person (except for my iPod), I respect them as a company that makes good products, but I tend to favor PC's and Microsoft goods. But last night, I had a strange dream that Apple released a videogame console...it looked quite a bit like a Wii, but with more processing power and graphical abilities. And then I began to wonder, is this even a possibility? I think it could happen sometime down the line, here is my reasoning for this:

Apple attracts a major market of middle-upper class folks (everyone of all demographics uses Apple products, I know, just work with me here), much the same market the Wii targets. Furthermore, Apple is considered very 'hip', even with people that may not necessarily be tech-savvy or avid tech followers. Also, Apple caters to people in a (usually) very tech friendly way. I can see an Apple console being a direct competitor to the Wii for market-share and accessibility, as well being a competitior to the more advanced systems on the market. How? Two words, Apps, and iTunes. The rise of the App has become extraordinary, and while there are plenty of crappy ones on the market, there are also some gems (games or otherwise). Also, creating an iTunes based media service with music, movies, T.V. and more, directly on the T.V. could put major pressure on Microsoft and Sony to meet these entertainment standards as well as the (likely) smooth and slick interface details. 

Apple could be a major force. They have swept the music player world by storm, as well as cell phones, now they are tackling  tablets...what might be next? Would you buy an Apple console if it came out? What do you imagine it looking like, playing like, costing? I probably wouldn't buy it, but I would welcome the new wrench thrown into the now stagnant machine of innovation. 

Let me know what you all think!

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SourMillennia

First off, I am not an Apple person (except for my iPod), I respect them as a company that makes good products, but I tend to favor PC's and Microsoft goods. But last night, I had a strange dream that Apple released a videogame console...it looked quite a bit like a Wii, but with more processing power and graphical abilities. And then I began to wonder, is this even a possibility? I think it could happen sometime down the line, here is my reasoning for this:

Apple attracts a major market of middle-upper class folks (everyone of all demographics uses Apple products, I know, just work with me here), much the same market the Wii targets. Furthermore, Apple is considered very 'hip', even with people that may not necessarily be tech-savvy or avid tech followers. Also, Apple caters to people in a (usually) very tech friendly way. I can see an Apple console being a direct competitor to the Wii for market-share and accessibility, as well being a competitior to the more advanced systems on the market. How? Two words, Apps, and iTunes. The rise of the App has become extraordinary, and while there are plenty of crappy ones on the market, there are also some gems (games or otherwise). Also, creating an iTunes based media service with music, movies, T.V. and more, directly on the T.V. could put major pressure on Microsoft and Sony to meet these entertainment standards as well as the (likely) smooth and slick interface details. 

Apple could be a major force. They have swept the music player world by storm, as well as cell phones, now they are tackling  tablets...what might be next? Would you buy an Apple console if it came out? What do you imagine it looking like, playing like, costing? I probably wouldn't buy it, but I would welcome the new wrench thrown into the now stagnant machine of innovation. 

Let me know what you all think!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

It would be awful. 

Chances are it would be like iTunes in that the console would just randomly delete your games and data whenever it feels like it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I imagine if they did make a console, it would be somewhere between the Wii and 360/PS3. I don't think it would be of any interest to those looking to get the most "hardcore gaming" out of their console, though. I just can't imagine actual games being released on the thing. It would dethrone the Wii as the king of shovelware.

As far as cost goes: you thought Five Hundred Ninety Nine US Dollars was bad?

Also, the controller would have like two buttons, lololololol.

Pure speculation on all accounts, of course.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Organicalistic_
@SourMillennia: if apple made a game console o would buy a huge gun and shoot every single one, till they are gone, it would suck anyways
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno

The market is already crowded enough, I think. And as you said, the particular demographic that Apple may target is already being catered to by the Wii. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

No Caption Provided
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

It would be overpriced as fuck, and even after that initial price, they'd constantly try to nickel-and-dime me into poverty. They would release a new model every year, and when something didn't work, they'd say it was my fault because I was holding the controller wrong, and try to sell me an accessory meant to prevent a flaw they had built into the machine.

Of course, none of this would affect me, because I wouldn't buy it. The incessant smugness from the massive tools (not saying everyone who buys Apple products is a tool... just more of them than I'd like) who would would probably be insufferable, though.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By jorbear

I would laugh. Hard. I feel the same way about Microsoft trying to get into the phone and mp3 player market. Just stick to what you're proven at being good at.

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SourMillennia
@natetodamax said:
" It would be awful.  Chances are it would be like iTunes in that the console would just randomly delete your games and data whenever it feels like it. "
Lol...too true

.@Icemael said:
" It would be overpriced as fuck, and even after that initial price, they'd constantly try to nickel-and-dime me into poverty. They would release a new model every year, and when something didn't work, they'd say it was my fault because I was holding the controller wrong, and try to sell me an accessory meant to prevent a flaw they had built into the machine.Of course, none of this would affect me, because I wouldn't buy it. The incessant smugness from the massive tools (not saying everyone who buys Apple products is a tool... just more of them than I'd like) who would would probably be insufferable, though. "
Amen to that.

@jorbear said:
" I would laugh. Hard. I feel the same way about Microsoft trying to get into the phone and mp3 player market. Just stick to what you're proven at being good at. "
Agreed, good point there.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, they already did. It was the Pippin, and it only had, what, 12 games?

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SourMillennia
@Video_Game_King said:
" Yea, they already did. It was the Pippin, and it only had, what, 12 games? "
You're right...but that was put out by Bandai in 1995...Apple has changed (as well has the gaming market)...they also probably learned from that debacle. One would hope at least.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sopranosfan
@Icemael said:
"It would be overpriced as fuck, and even after that initial price, they'd constantly try to nickel-and-dime me into poverty. They would release a new model every year, and when something didn't work, they'd say it was my fault because I was holding the controller wrong, and try to sell me an accessory meant to prevent a flaw they had built into the machine.Of course, none of this would affect me, because I wouldn't buy it. The incessant smugness from the massive tools (not saying everyone who buys Apple products is a tool... just more of them than I'd like) who would would probably be insufferable, though. "

Thanks for saving me time by writing my exact thoughts.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ryax
@CitizenKane said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
yup and it was absolute garbage
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By demontium
@CitizenKane said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
yup. beat me to it.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skytylz
@jorbear said:
" I would laugh. Hard. I feel the same way about Microsoft trying to get into the phone and mp3 player market. Just stick to what you're proven at being good at. "
Zunes are pretty awesome.  Zune HD is a better music device than the Ipod Touch.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By 234r2we232

They have. It's called an iPhone/iPad. It's incredibly popular, fun to use and very useful :)

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ryax
@Skytylz said:
" @jorbear said:
Zunes are pretty awesome.  Zune HD is a better music device than the Ipod Touch. "
lolno
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
@CitizenKane said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Someone remembers!
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they made a conventional home console it would be overpriced and have too few buttons.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Skytylz
@Ryax said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @jorbear said:
Zunes are pretty awesome.  Zune HD is a better music device than the Ipod Touch. "
lolno "
Compelling argument
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#21  Edited By citizenkane
@EpicSteve: Of course I remember.  I created the Pippin page the weekend before the full site launched.  ;)
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ryax
@Skytylz said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @jorbear said:
lolno "
Compelling argument "
fine. its all a matter of opinion. ive used both and i like the ipod better. you cant really convince me nor can i convince you the other is netter.
SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SourMillennia
@CitizenKane said:
" @EpicSteve: Of course I remember.  I created the Pippin page the weekend before the full site launched.  ;) " 

Thanks for keeping the history alive good sir.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It would only have one analog stick, one trigger, but be "more user-friendly" then other game consoles.

blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blazerx9x

am i the only one who considers the iPad a game console?

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you you say, $1200 wii?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince

It would cost about Two Grand.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjakiller
@CitizenKane said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Wow I completely forgot they released that abomination. 
SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SourMillennia
@blazerx9x said:
" am i the only one who considers the iPad a game console? "
I would consider the iPad a portable gaming device, like a DS or PSP in gaming terms. A console, to me, is something which is semi-permanent (not easily transportable)  and connected to a television. I'm sure people have other definitions and ideas though.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#30  Edited By Jazz

If Apple made a game console everyone would bitch about.... oh wait, even thinking about it makes everyone bitch about it. 
In all seriousness it probably would be overpriced, look incredible and have absolutely no 3rd party support, and all the 360 users would sneer at it because they have inferiority complexes. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I think if they do make one, (i'm aware of the apple pippen) that most of the games will be incompatible, unless you run it with steam cloud. Not to mention that it will have last gen graphics with really low framerates with a sleek exterior. It would cost thousands of dollars and the interface will be a bunch of shiny icons, that doesn't actually do anything.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By DevWil

i think apple considers iphone/ipad their gaming platform. 

i don't think there's enough room in the marketplace for another, new unique gaming platform, though.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fwylo

Holy shit.  Could you imagine if Apple had invented the Wii instead of Nintendo. 

Fuck everyone in the WORLD would own an apple product then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fwylo said:
" Holy shit.  Could you imagine if Apple had invented the Wii instead of Nintendo.  Fuck everyone in the WORLD would own an apple product then. "
no they wouldn't. the reason the wii has been successful is because it is priced so low. If Apple released it, it would cost twice as much and my 12 year old sister wouldn't have got one.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fwylo
@zudthespud said:
" @fwylo said:
" Holy shit.  Could you imagine if Apple had invented the Wii instead of Nintendo.  Fuck everyone in the WORLD would own an apple product then. "
no they wouldn't. the reason the wii has been successful is because it is priced so low. If Apple released it, it would cost twice as much and my 12 year old sister wouldn't have got one. "
Haha touche. 

SO what if they released the Wii, at the same price that Nintendo released it.
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By jimi
@InfamousBIG said:
" It would only have one analog stick, one trigger, but be "more user-friendly" then other game consoles. "
Shit, somebody already made the one button joke.
jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jorbear
@Ryax said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @jorbear said:
lolno "
Compelling argument "
fine. its all a matter of opinion. ive used both and i like the ipod better. you cant really convince me nor can i convince you the other is netter. "
I have a Zune. It's not bad, but it's not selling nearly as good as they had hoped. I just want Microsoft to improve on their PC support to be honest.
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun
@natetodamax said:
" It would be awful.  "
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

Absolutely not! The only way Apple could get into the actual gaming market (app store doesn't count) is to partner up with Nintendo.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By illmatic19

Then you'd see hipsters in Starbucks playing it like kids play Gamecube in McDonalds.

Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Donkey
@LiquidPrince said:
" It would cost about Two Grand. "
And why would the two thousand dollars be capitalized, Soldat?
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@EpicSteve said:

" @CitizenKane said:

"
No Caption Provided
"
Someone remembers! "
I came in here only to post this. Well done, people. Well done.

EDIT: Actually, I still can't believe Bandai made a console (this was an Apple/Bandai cooperative, if I recall correctly). It's as if Namco made a console today. Except their console would only play Tekken, Time Crisis, and Dig Dug. I would buy it, because I'm an idiot.
lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By lavaman77

It would be a half-assed PC painted with white it's price multiplied by 5x.

dies0rn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dies0rn

Every year we would get a new slightly upgraded console from apple ...

launch: yea wii graphic and 2 player 
year 2: 4 player on one console (revolutionary!!!)
year 3: omg, internet! It's revolutionary, ... AGAIN!
year 4: 360/ps3 graphic + 1 usb port
year 5: DVD support
year 6: motion controls

etc etc etc

edit; i have forgot to mention that it would cost the same astronomical price every year...

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheHBK

It would be a pretty console, a new one would come out every year and would not support HDMI only mini displayport.  And all games would be downloadable and belong to the app store.  Gore would not be alowed on the App store.  And if a game sucked that Steve the bitch who rapes children Jobs was promoting hard, he would simply tell you that you are holding the controller wrong. 

Disclaimer:  I love apple products but hate apple marketing and Steve Jobs.  And the brass that has copper balls that controls the app store.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BraveToaster

I could see an advertisement for the system. Two prick wearing turtle necks, with their game faces on. The elusive would he Cake Mania and iMobsters. And no, I wouldn't buy it. And I would slap any of my acquaintances for buying one.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Donkey said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" It would cost about Two Grand. "
And why would the two thousand dollars be capitalized, Soldat? "
My bad, I meant: TWO GRAND!
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Video games are fun, so not really Apple's thing.

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Tenshin
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" They have. It's called an iPhone/iPad. It's incredibly popular, fun to use and very useful :) "
I agree. Their current hardware has the juice required and already boasts games that are on par/better than a lot of DS and PSP games. In that light you could say that they already have a gaming platform much more successful than any attempt at selling the average consumer another "gaming console" or a handheld that only plays games (it would seem like a step back from their current direction, which is to make their handheld do as much as possible).

In a "what if" scenario, just to humor the idea, I imagine that it would be very underpowered, overpriced, comprised solely (or almost) of third-party titles like mini-game collections and internet oriented facebook style games that you can ONLY download from their game app store. It would have to connect to your apple TV device. You can only interact with it if you have iTunes installed. Here is why you would buy it: It would look like a little sphere, no wires, sending image to your Apple TV by wi-fi. Oh, and the controller IS the console. You just pick it up and move it around like a wii controller. This novelty and applauded GENIUS DESIGN would make sales roar.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Afroman269
@Skytylz said:
" @jorbear said:
I agree, but Apple has the upper hand by having a fleshed out app market unlike Zune and iPods are now too popular that people forget that other mp3 players exist. I think that MS should integrate Zune software into it's window mobile and start some competition in the phone market, combating the iPhone would be easier than combating the iPod.