What if the Playstation Move became the official PS controller

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By niamahai

All these Wii U talk have gotten me thinking how will MS/Sony incorporate Kinect/Move to the next gen.

For Kinect, I can see MS making it as part of the default hardware.

But for Sony, what are they gonna do with the Move? They can't code every game with dual control scheme. And I don't think they want to dump it, cause they still want to tap the casual market. And I believe they want to make it the core PS experience (looking at all future PS3 exclusive atm, they are heavily promoting the Move by doing bundles)

So.. will you guys be offended if they completely ditch the Dualshock and made Move the default controller?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I don't see it becoming the main controller by a long shot. But I am thinking of picking up a PS3 next month and having lots of experience with the Wii should serve me well with Move. I'll buy Move before Kinect, and I haven't even bought a PS3, yet. But that's just me.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says

I would piss liquid gold and the Muslims and Jews wouldn't hate each other.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Never going to happen. If it did, then I would just not be buying any more Playstation games.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By huntad

If we are talking 'what if's', which I assume we are since you said it, then I would say that I would get used to it. There would still be other third party accessories that would help players who didn't want to fully move on though (no pun intended). I'm going to go where the games go. if Move becomes the official/default PS controller, then I am going to adapt and move on, but the third party support would have to be big as well. Yup, that's my take, I suppose.

Come on guys, be more creative than 'it wouldn't'. We are talking 'What If's' here!

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By niamahai

@blacklabeldomm said:

For the sake of world peace, then I hope this "what-if" became true.

@huntad said:

If we are talking 'what if's', which I assume we are since you said it, then I would say that I would get used to it. There would still be other third party accessories that would help players who didn't want to fully move on though (no pun intended). I'm going to go where the games go. if Move becomes the official/default PS controller, then I am going to adapt and move on, but the third party support would have to be big as well. Yup, that's my take, I suppose. Come on guys, be more creative than 'it wouldn't'. We are talking 'What If's' here!

Technically those always exist. Like how some FPS players chose to use FragX KB+M instead of the controller.

Was there any discontent from the users when Nintendo jumped from the SNES controller to the N64 controller?

I am still thinking that all these motion based controls are what FPS were to consoles during the 90s.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

It never would, pointless even trying to imagine it. 
I would laugh so much though.
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SpudBug

NEVER.

never.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Grumbel

Making Move the default controller would be stupid, as it is not backward compatible. They need to add a second analog stick and fix the button arrangement to make that viable. If they would simply take a regular PS3 controller, break it in half, add motion stuff to both sides I wouldn't mind it becoming the default controller, but as is, Move is way to limited. They might also want to work on that glowing light, never used Move myself, but that thing could get hugely annoying when it reflects in your TV all the time.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By SMTDante89

Not really, but you get the idea.
 Not really, but you get the idea.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Twisted_Scot

As long as it had a PLAY, STOP, PAUSE and SKIP buttons I wouldn't care.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Boycott.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust
@niamahai said:

@blacklabeldomm said:

For the sake of world peace, then I hope this "what-if" became true.

That was my first thought, too although I think pissing liquid gold could be painful.

I can see Sony including a wand as pack-in in their next console, but I doubt it will take the place of a standard controller.  Actually, I wonder if they'd even do that considering how they left out the microphone and HDMI cable in the PS3.   We'll see if they learn from their mistake in 2013/14.  I believe the Move or some facsimile of it is here to stay for a while since it appeals to a wider audience than the avid game enthusiast.  Be more inclusive is the lesson learned from this current console generation.  However, Sony has been one to skimp on the necessities in the past, so who's to say what bonehead decisions they'll make with its release.
Avatar image for solarisdeschain
solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By solarisdeschain

I'd like to see each company go in different directions. I'd like to see Nintendo do their thing, Microsoft do deeper experimentation with Kinect, and Sony be the one to stick with the typical control input. Each has their strengths. We all know how successful the typical controller input is, Kinect is just starting but has great potential, and despite what people say about Wii, there's about 30 great games available for it.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

@niamahai: They won´t but if they do.. they can kiss goodbye a costumer.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

I would stop buying games for my PS3.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Gabriel

Whatever next gen is gonna be a bigger Dualshock 2 controller, so gamers can't bitch to Sony that the 360 one is better.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By FireBurger

They would never do that. They'll probably continue to provide it as a peripheral which some games will be made exclusively for, while others will simply make little or no use of it. From what I can tell, this is what Nintendo plans to do with the WiiU and the Wiimote.

EDIT: And to answer your question: I would not buy a PS4. Motion controls as the main feature of a console had their shot with the Wii, and aside from sales, failed. Couple that with a PlayStation pricetag and there is no way I'd take another chance on a motion-based system.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

they know what they are doing. you never know what is going to happen next.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Move won't be in its current form next generation. It needs an analog stick and two shoulder buttons on the main controller, and games need to use two main controllers instead of a sub controller so we can get full dualshock functionality plus motion tracking.

And by next generation, MS will have updated their controller to work better with Kinect (ie split it in half so each arm could move independently while still having a full standard controller).

However I could easily see both companies including the cameras with all system hardware packages next time around.

Eventually shooters will adapt lightgun-esque aiming, but will still require thumbsticks and face buttons to navigate and interact with the environment and stuff. Nobody's going to take away your controllers or their functionality; they're going to upgrade them.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeforgotten

@RE_Player92 said:

What if it snowed in San "Francisc" indeed!

I would go "Meh" and live with it. Only thing console or gaming related that will make me angry is when it starts killing people I care about.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By huntad
@niamahai: I do not understand what you meant by your first sentence in reply to me. However, I still don't think the jump from d-pad to thumbstick was a disconnect. In actuality, it was an improvement and a lot of kids adjusted very quickly. It felt natural. I guess my point is that aiming with a remote control does not feel as intuitive as aiming with thumbsticks and requires more time to get used to.  

Also, no game has really got controls for FPS right on the Wii - there were two sides of the spectrum. On one hand, the controls felt too loose and had me aiming all over the screen inaccurately, and on the other hand, all of the fun of having control was taken and replaced with auto-targeting. It's just not an intuitive/fun way to play many games. So, in the end, I think that there would be a much larger disconnect, but I'd still attempt to get used to it, because this is my hobby.
Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Voxatron

@niamahai said:

All these Wii U talk have gotten me thinking how will MS/Sony incorporate Kinect/Move to the next gen.

For Kinect, I can see MS making it as part of the default hardware.

But for Sony, what are they gonna do with the Move? They can't code every game with dual control scheme. And I don't think they want to dump it, cause they still want to tap the casual market. And I believe they want to make it the core PS experience (looking at all future PS3 exclusive atm, they are heavily promoting the Move by doing bundles)

So.. will you guys be offended if they completely ditch the Dualshock and made Move the default controller?

They'd probably totally forget about it and move on, it definitely seems like if the functionality is there the Vita would be a much better and more likely alternative control format in the next generation, or heck they could probably even release a updated supplemental version of it considering a next generation might still be like two years out.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tsoglani

I would stop gaming.

The very thought of this happening makes me sick.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By christ0phe

They will never do that

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Anund

I could see them adapting the Vita to work as a controller with a screen, but the Move will never be the primary control system on a PlayStation system.