What if: there was a lady-type in core GB?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#201  Edited By hermes

I would like that, but knowing Internet, it would deviate into one of two situations:

• "A decently looking woman... eye candy... show us some skin..."
  • "Get out! Your reasoning is invalid because you don't have an Y chromosome... And everyone that disagrees with me is a white knight"
jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#202  Edited By jadegl

@video_game_king: Holy crap, your post just made me think of GB becoming so big that ladies at Pax or whatever do gender swapped cosplay, you know, like all the Sexy Lady Magnetos and Sexy Lady Wolverines at Comic Con. Just a whole row of Sexy Lady Vinnys, Sexy Lady Jeffs, just on into infinity.

I think I literally just broke my brain.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the core of GB would change, weather it wanted to or not.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#204  Edited By Video_Game_King
CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

Skimming some initial comments, I feel this threads comment quality is going to answer its own question of whether it's viable and also be an extreme embarrassment at the same time.

Embarrassment? Really? I didn't see anything too offensive or infantile.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By CheerUpYuko

@video_game_king:

There is a lady-Alex Navarro out there:

No Caption Provided

Clearly his lack of 2nd x-chromosome has been holding him back...

cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm very much for a lady bomber.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@rowr said:

Skimming some initial comments, I feel this threads comment quality is going to answer its own question of whether it's viable and also be an extreme embarrassment at the same time.

Embarrassment? Really? I didn't see anything too offensive or infantile.

Giantbomb folks are generally above anything offensive or infantile, but a certain amount of awkwardness is always going to come out of a mostly male community on the internet on this topic.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king:

No Caption Provided

I would pay an inordinate amount of money to see Y-chromo Alex pull this off on stream

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#210  Edited By super2j

If the lady can hang and joke on a GB level, I am down. However, I'll probably end up getting a little crush on her because I like the idea of a funny girl, and then I will be sad when I hear she is in a commited relationship. But I wanna make it clear that, this lady should be brought in cause she is cool, not because someone decided there should be a girl... like the fifth teenage mutant ninja turtle, Venus.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be a great shakeup for a site in need of some serious overhauling, but they can't do it based on gender alone (for obvious reasons). All we can do is be encouraging and supportive of great applicants regardless of sex and we'll see who's the best fit for the job.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king:

No Caption Provided

Oh man, what if Alex Navarro and Alex Navarro met and got together? Would you date someone with the exact same name? They'd have like weird lizard babies.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Following tonight's announcement, I look forward to Giant Bomb West's new staff member Pinny, a plucky, brilliant Italian woman with a penchant for charm and silliness.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By joshwent

Following tonight's announcement, I look forward to Giant Bomb West's new staff member Pinny, a plucky, brilliant Italian woman with a penchant for charm and silliness.

Yeah, she's alright, but personally I hope they go for Vinessa. Sure she's bald and has huge arms, but it suits her, and her love of FMV games and black T-shirts will surely win over the fans.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:
@bunnellius said:

@video_game_king:

No Caption Provided

Oh man, what if Alex Navarro and Alex Navarro met and got together? Would you date someone with the exact same name? They'd have like weird lizard babies.

I picture it being like one of those situations where the female snaps the male in two and eats him after mating... and then gives birth to weird lizard babies.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? You guys have this

@super2j said:

like the fifth teenage mutant ninja turtle, Venus.

staring you in the face, and nobody makes the connection?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait wait wait, there was a fifth teenage mutant ninja turtle?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By TruthTellah

@joshwent said:

@truthtellah said:

Yeah, she's alright, but personally I hope they go for Vinessa. Sure she's bald and has huge arms, but it suits her, and her love of FMV games and black T-shirts will surely win over the fans.

Eh, she's not half bad, but personally I hope they give Cara Vella a shot. No one controls a tricaster quite like she does, and I can't imagine anyone topping her love of board games and the Souls series. Her enthusiasm is just so infectious!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By CheerUpYuko

@super2j said:

If the lady can hang and joke on a GB level, I am down. However, I'll probably end up getting a little crush on her because I like the idea of a funny girl, and then I will be sad when I hear she is in a commited relationship. But I wanna make it clear that, this lady should be brought in cause she is cool, not because someone decided there should be a girl... like the fifth teenage mutant ninja turtle, Venus.

Ha, I love the TMNT reference!

As to the other thing, I can absolutely sympathize. Since all the video-game commentary figures I like are the opposite gender from me, it's easy for me to fall into the idiotic-pathetic-crush-trap over very charismatic personality types that I have a completely one-sided/4th-wall relationship to. I wish I knew how to exorcise that demon, but that's pretty much impossible since I'm essentially a retarded shoujo-kei under this cynical outer shell. So instead I just try to punch myself in the face now and then and walk it off.

So yes. I don't think it's weird at all when guys on here joke that they might fall in love if there were a TRUE-strike lady bomber.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bunnellius:

Brad is the one and only lady bomber in my heart.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hire cool, well-spoken, talented people above all else. But yeah, someone of a different background or whatever would be refreshing, and people losing their shit because it's someone new and a woman (or someone who isn't a straight white guy etc.) would be pretty entertaining.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By CheerUpYuko
@joshwent said:

@truthtellah said:

I vote for Vinessa! ^^/ I was just wondering about Vinny's secret twin-sister maybe doing a coast-swap with him, after reeling from tonight's news. I'd heard she was currently unemployed and looking for a new direction in life, especially after the heartbreak of having her advances spurned by The Situation, so I think there's a good chance she'd be up for it!

(... Someone make a mock-up of Vinessa, pleeeaaaaase. I need something completely ridiculous right now to distract me from scary changes all over the place.)

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the amount of hires they'll need to make for this 2 office thing work i have to imagine that at least one of them will have the lady type.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By joshwent

(... Someone make a mock-up of Vinessa, pleeeaaaaase. I need something completely ridiculous right now to distract me from scary changes all over the place. @_@)

Aha! Is this moving to New York our chance?

No Caption Provided

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

Wait wait wait, there was a fifth teenage mutant ninja turtle?

No. There are also only three Star Wars movies, three Indiana Jones movies, and one Matrix movie.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lady-type, female-type, male-type, man-type, it doesn't matter to me as long as the person is passionate about video games and can feel natural on camera or microphone with the rest of the crew.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#229  Edited By MachoFantastico

As long as she as a passion for the industry and knows a thing or two, why not. I like to think our community is mature enough to appreciate a great personality whatever sex he/she is.

It irritates me when sites simply throw female presenters in your face for eye candy (looking at you IGN), not to say they don't know what they're on about but the comments and replies from the IGN community sometimes make me want to slam my head against a wall.

Jess McDonell on Gamespot seems cool, so yes I think it would be a cool addition to the bombcrew.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 sweep  Moderator

I think they should hire the person that best matches the current chemistry and dynamic of the group regardless of race and gender.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep:

But wouldn't race and gender impact said chemistry/dynamic?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 sweep  Moderator
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep:

You said "regardless of race and gender", as if you could discount those from the equation entirely.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, get a woman in on Giant Bomb. I'm not fussed either way. I just want more Danny O'Dwyer!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@sweep:

You said "regardless of race and gender", as if you could discount those from the equation entirely.

Well yeah. If they fit then it shouldn't matter why they fit. In an ideal world, anyway.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By BackseatBoss

I don't want any women on the GB crew. It's not that I'm sexist, but having a woman on the crew would mean the increase of incredibly creepy comments. Also, I have a feeling it would end up the same way every other gaming website uses women, just showing them off as sexy gamer girls in their thumbnails to increase their traffic... Hiring a woman for the sake that she's a woman would be the single dumbest thing ever.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By CheerUpYuko

@joshwent said:

@bunnellius said:

(... Someone make a mock-up of Vinessa, pleeeaaaaase. I need something completely ridiculous right now to distract me from scary changes all over the place. @_@)

Aha! Is this moving to New York our chance?

No Caption Provided

I... I'm not wholly sure what I'm looking at here. There's a big stick of meat, there's some shirt-flair, there's a baby with Bieber hair, there's an uncanny-valley face.

*staaaaaaaaaaaaare*

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By joshwent
Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#243  Edited By Atwa

Gender is irrelevant, its about personality.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By CheerUpYuko

@joshwent:

Arg, I've been dying to watch the Endurance Runs! But they're all for games I really want to play myself, but haven't gotten around to yet.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#245  Edited By reisz

@atwa said:

Gender is irrelevant, its about personality.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Christoffer

@bunnellius said:

@video_game_king:

No Caption Provided

That's great. Get her on a Bombcast/GBNYcast... would be as strange, as fun, as informative.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want any women on the GB crew. It's not that I'm sexist, but having a woman on the crew would mean the increase of incredibly creepy comments. Also, I have a feeling it would end up the same way every other gaming website uses women, just showing them off as sexy gamer girls in their thumbnails to increase their traffic... Hiring a woman for the sake that she's a woman would be the single dumbest thing ever.

Eh..? Do you really think GB would just be parading a pair of tits up and down livestreams?

If a woman is hired that gels with the guys and has something to add (with no Vinny in SF whoever they hire is going to have an even tougher job), then who cares?

Creepy comments will be moderated. Folks will soon get the picture.

Dont worry so much about what others will do. If you are comfortable with it, then what does it matter?

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#248  Edited By phantomzxro

I think you are over thinking the problem honestly. I have seen quite a few women who talk about games and know their stuff. Sure its still a "boys club" in the sense that guys still out number women by a good amount in the industry. I feel it has more to do with the market can be intimidating when every women in the industry has to defend their worth in a gaming discussion.

The pressure to be eye candy status or be some gaming guru might turn off some women or other people who are not deep in the gaming world. With that said if you look around there are more and more women playing, talking and being a part of games. You just have to look for it and if their opinion don't suit yours i don't feel like its a crime or something wrong with the state of gaming or anything.

It could be completely possible for a women to be apart of the bombcast and i don't think it has to be a matter of watching manners or anything. Women can hang and be just as blunt as men when talking about games.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm for it. Someone get Cara Ellison on the phone. Or at least on a regular podcast with Danny, because both those accents on the same podcast would be like candy to my ears.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#250  Edited By DylanGW
@bunnellius said:

@conmulligan: I'm not going to draw general opinions on her just from that, but it's definitely an example of how awkward things can be when personalities are mismatched. You just get the feeling that it's everyone in the room versus her in both instances, and that division also happens to fall straight down gender lines. It makes me super uncomfortable. I've also never heard Ryan so openly put-off towards someone before that Nazi fashion conversation (and you know it's gone bad when Ryan is tetchy).

This is a case of a person who's outgoing in personality and not being intimidated by the group obviously, but it just goes so wrong... I guess you could say this is kind of my worst fear about throwing a female in the mix. As a lifelong tomboy, trying to join in with the boys doesn't always work out well. There's a certain type of male-to-male interaction that you're just invisibly barricaded from.

This to me hits the nail on the head; it's rare for a female to mix in perfectly with an all boys-club. In my own experience, when I'm hanging out with male friends and a female is introduced - the mood changes. Things get a little more tense and people watch what they say a little more. This isn't the say there is something wrong with the opposite sex; I'm sure a similar thing happens when a male enters an all-female space. I imagine women choose to hang out with only other women sometimes so they can be a little less guarded than they would be with men present. There are some women (and presumably some men) who can enter these spaces without changing the dynamic - but it's rare. I think it's even more unlikely at giantbomb given the reason's you've outlined. I'm open to it; but I wouldn't expect it.

I don't agree with people that say diversity needs to be injected into this place; I'm personally employed in a female dominated industry and I don't see the lack of men as a problem that needs to be fixed. I don't see any sane reason there needs to be equal gender representation across every industry and in every workplace; some places will have more men and others will have more women. That's okay. The only diversity this place needs is with respect to what types of games/interests the new employee brings to the table. Drew for example brings diversity to the site because he plays a lot of simulation type games while the others don't - also eurovision. If they hire another dude I won't be surprised and I won't be upset - yes, even if it's another straight white dude (the horror). I also won't be upset if it's a female; Jeff is well aware that giantbomb is a personality driven website and I'm sure whoever he picks will be based on who meshes well in terms of conversation.

I agree with you that Leigh Alexander isn't a good fit. I've been a fan of her writing for years; but I prefer reading her work to watching/listening to her. The time she was on the bombcast was terrible; it doesn't make me dislike her as a person I just don't think she fits in. I remember liking Karen Chu and Jenn Frank on 1up podcasts and the 1up Show back in the day.