What If Your Game Console Was Just A Video Stream?

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

http://g4tv.com/xplay/previews/37359/GDC-09-OnLive-Video-Game-Service.html

I think it is a great idea for single player games, but I am still unaware how, or even if, this is going to run multi-player games. It would be interesting if this ran games like WoW or even the upcoming MMO's like Star Wars: The Old Republic where you can pretty much pocket your computer and play anywhere at full res/FPS where there is internet connection and a basic computer. This may even revive the mouse and keyboard First Person Shooter... but we can only hope :-(

AnthraX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By AnthraX

Call me old school, but I'll take my hard copy any day. I don't like this idea. I have always loved release dates for systems and hardware. There is nothing more satisfying than going to your favorite store and picking up a physical copy.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#203  Edited By Clbull

This seems like a brilliant idea in theory, but whether I'll use it depends on the pricing, the performance (as latency could be a possible big issue) and the games library.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By TwoOneFive

i have a question, but im not sure if anyone has brought this up already. 

What if everyone is playing a demanding game like Crysis? Could the system really handle that? I can see the system being overloaded when, lets say....Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 launches simultaneously on Onlive? Everyone will want to play it, and they'll be playing multiplayer constantly. The beta is going to be very interesting to see when every single user tries playing Crysis Wars on their tv, or the crappy pc or laptop. I signed up so I hope I get in it *fingers crossed*. 

ps. Onlive exclusives?!  I mean, is there anything else to say? I can't even imagine how amazing their games are going to look.

pss. Oh and remember guys, all of this extremely skeptical discussion that pretty much the entire hardcore gaming community is having right now is exactly what they want. Those guys at the conference were extremely confident. This took 7 years to happen.

psss. early hands on say it does have a noticable lag and the picture quality gets cuby. hmmmm. 
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#205  Edited By dsplayer1010

Glad that there is Mac support

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By TwoOneFive

QUICK! Someone make a gif of this video between 52:08 and 52:30 (giant cock stroking FTW!)

edit: 
yes i did it!

wow im a loser!
Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Unlogik

I wouldn't count out Apple looking into getting on this.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#208  Edited By Deusoma

Wow, lag on a singleplayer game! The future is now! 8D

Man, what a silly concept.

davesf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#209  Edited By davesf

80ms is probably fine. I suspect OnLive will have two problems. (1) the display is 80% of the cost of an 'average' gaming rig. An xbox360 is only $300. It's hard to believe they will ship a hardware device at a low enough price to actually change the cost of gaming. (2) Their system will dramatically increase the cost-per-minute of play, because they must pay for the video stream for the entire time a user is playing. The Akamai-like end-point caching systems used for pre-recorded video streaming don't help here, because the streams are each unique. I wish them luck making these finances work out.

Rizla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Rizla

I realy dont think this will take off in this generation, if this was in a few years and a possible branded ps4 or a xbox720 mabey i would be able to put more faith in the concept but since it just came out of the blue like this.. i quess, just like the whole 2x ps3 + Realy good Tv = Next Gen 3D thing, its cool to see its possible or that they are considering this sort of stuff but its only lookin to become useful in the future.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#211  Edited By NinjaMunkey
Wolverine said:
"I like the concept of it but dude what if the internet is down? I would personally rather just have a huge hard drive and download games than have to constantly stream them from the "cloud"."

when was the last time your internet went down?

I live in the UK, and I cant even remember the last time I lost connection...
Argus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#212  Edited By Argus

I wonder if this will have a huge carbon footprint. All those massively powerfull machines chugging away at once...

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#213  Edited By HairyMike87

I knew that one day it was going to come down to a generation where there would only be one device that plays games. I don't believe that it will kill console gaming unless Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo put their games on the service if console sales completely stop because of this service. I think this will be fantastic for people with old PC's that like to play computer games, but I just don't see it killing console gaming.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#214  Edited By JoelTGM
HairyMike87 said:
"I knew that one day it was going to come down to a generation where there would only be one device that plays games. I don't believe that it will kill console gaming unless Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo put their games on the service if console sales completely stop because of this service. I think this will be fantastic for people with old PC's that like to play computer games, but I just don't see it killing console gaming."
I don't think it's up to MS or Sony whether or not those games can be played through OnLive.  Why would game companies develop games for the 360 and PS3, and not take advantage of OnLive.  I think if it's successful, in the future, game companies will start developing exclusively for OnLive.
LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"HairyMike87 said:
"I knew that one day it was going to come down to a generation where there would only be one device that plays games. I don't believe that it will kill console gaming unless Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo put their games on the service if console sales completely stop because of this service. I think this will be fantastic for people with old PC's that like to play computer games, but I just don't see it killing console gaming."
I don't think it's up to MS or Sony whether or not those games can be played through OnLive.  Why would game companies develop games for the 360 and PS3, and not take advantage of OnLive.  I think if it's successful, in the future, game companies will start developing exclusively for OnLive."

yeah...never gonna happen   (atleast not for another 20 years)
Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Media_Master

No way!

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#217  Edited By piropeople13

This would be killer.....

But with the U.S. government not showing interest in improving our infrastructure by giving incentive for DSL and Cable companies to aggressively roll out fiber optics our aging and unreliable infrastructure will not make this a good option for most people.

In other words I am sure that they had a great time undergoing successful tests in the lab, but it won't be the same ball game out in the wild.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By jgf

I also want this thing to be true, but from a technical point o view I simply cant believe it. Its not just about the latency problem of a common internet connection, but also the other amazing things that would have to be true in order for this to work. They'll have to have an incredible server farm with a pc/ps3/whatever for each player connected. They would also need a real time (intant reaction is required for games) video compression for HD content. Not only on the server but also on the client side. I haven't heard of anything like that before. And they'll need an insanly huge bandwith at their server farms to deliver the real time hd videos to all users connected at the same time and at no delay (buffering at client side wont work for obvious reasons). All in all I can't see how this thing could ever possibly work with the technology avaliable right now. But please prove me wrong ;)

Finch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Finch

"Millions of people today were left aghast after the international multi-million dollar OnLive gaming service suddenly ceased streaming to its online customers.

The cause of the incident is still under investigation, but local police are attributing it to a MASSIVE EXPLOSION INSIDE THE INTERNET.

More to follow."

Yeah, well, either way, this doesn't sound like it could take off yet... like Khann said, give it a few years and it might sound more appealing.

Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Snuffy

Great idea, really is.  Too much room for errors though.  

As stated before, I think it's too early for something like this though.  I also dislike the controller... Copied the 360, and seems very bulky.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#221  Edited By lightwarrior179

It seems like a step in the right direction,but I think technology will need to develop more before this becomes a wildfire at the retail.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By InFamous91

its seem impossible to pull off but if it works....WOW!!!
Man, the future of gaming

freakydude20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By freakydude20

if this works it will be amazing. i can't afford to keep up with all the pc hardware so i can play the nice new games

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By singular

I can't wait to see how this works out. And if it works, it'll probably gonna take until mid 2010 until it's introduced to Europe.

Bloodrush545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#225  Edited By Bloodrush545

What about Linux?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#226  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Bloodrush545 said:
"What about Linux?"
That's a very good point. It's only a video stream, so there's no reason they couldn't release it on Linux which would be a huge step in the right direction for Linux gaming.
TG_SOLID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By TG_SOLID

WHAT IF THE ENTIRE THING RED RINGS!?!?!?!?!? =O

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

i don't like this plan, im not excited to be a part of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think that the days of physical media is over. From a purely technical standpoint it might be. You can download full games from PSN (Burnout, Siren etc.) but from a practical standpoint I don't think the days of physical media is over, and i don't think it will end in the next couple of years either. The thing is that a hard copy of a game feels much more safe than some abstract content on a server somewhere. I personally like having the real copy on a shelf at home, knowing that it is up to me whether or not I will play a game. The fact that i need to rely on a server is a scary thought.

The next problem with Onlive right off the bat is the subscription fee. It is just ridiculous, this also releates to the physical vs downloadable games. Would you agree to pay a fee to have your games on your shelves? I think not.

This concept can go to ways. Very well or really bad. If it goes well then good for them, if not then many people will have lost a lot of money. Lets hope it goes really well.

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#230  Edited By Callumrides

not bought on it  ,seems like a scam to me rolf