• 72 results
#1 Posted by BisonHero (6044 posts) -

The term seems to get used a lot by young guys referring to someone putting a lot of effort into sports, e-sports, or maybe just a regular ol' video game. Why did it enter the popular lexicon (of young males) in the past 5 or so years? Urban Dictionary suggests it could have come from Altered Beast or the TV show Beast Wars, both of which are kinda plausible but also pretty old material to suddenly catch on again somewhat recently.

So, Giant Bomb, what are you thoughts on the matter?

#2 Posted by Sarumarine (2156 posts) -

I kinda wish it was from Transformers: Beast Wars, but I know it's not.

#3 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

Every time someone says it all I can think of is Beast Wars.

#4 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@BisonHero: I can only think of Beast Wars. The demographic you're referring too were likely kids when the show was on air.

#5 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Honestly, my knee jerk reaction to that was Beast Wars. It really doesn't matter how old the subject matter is in order for it to catch on, just look at all the Bill Lumbergh memes floating around the internet. Though when I googled it, Skyrim came up, so it could be that as well.

That being said, I haven't heard too many people use beast form.

#6 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -

Not sure of the origin, but this run by NFL runningback Marshawn Lynch probably added to the popularity. He's known as beast mode now.

#7 Posted by CornBREDX (4729 posts) -

Sounds like it's just evolved form saying something or someone is beast. The term, as far as I know, comes from many different places. Everyone has a different reason for using it. Could be from Bloody Roar, I guess, but I dont remember that being super popular so I don't know. Maybe it was, but that was awhile ago.

#8 Posted by EarthBowl (164 posts) -

There was a Gears of War 3 mode called "Beast Mode" where players played as different Locust and have to kill the main gears characters and random AI good guys in 12 waves total. But personally, I just remember it from Transformers: Beast Wars.

#9 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

It falls into the same range of things that grate on me, like when gamers say "THAT WAS CLUTCH DUDE" or "YOLO" or kush/weed/420/bud in every username. But, then, I just trick myself into thinking they're saying BREAST MODE, which I can totally get behind.

#10 Posted by DFSVegas (350 posts) -

First person I heard use it was Lil' Wayne, which is why I never use the term "beast mode".

#11 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@Branthog: for some reason that made me want to change my Gamertag to Roast Beast Mode...

#12 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -
@cjmabry And it caused an earthquake.
#13 Posted by MechaKirby (183 posts) -

As far as I know Marshawn Lynch has been using the phrase to refer to his play since at least 2007. Here's the prime example of beast mode

#14 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Duh they all played Bloody Roar 2, the coolest fighting game on the PS1. You press circle to enter Beast Mode.

#15 Posted by MechaKirby (183 posts) -

Here he is using the phrase.

#16 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

I remember people saying it in highschool which for me was like 4 years ago.

Let's just say it comes from Bloody Roar, Beast Wars, or some Werewolf movie.

#17 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@cjmabry said:

Not sure of the origin, but this run by NFL runningback Marshawn Lynch probably added to the popularity. He's known as beast mode now.

That player eats heaps of sweets when on the side line which gives him a massive sugar rush, which he calls Beast Mode

#18 Posted by posh (457 posts) -

yeah I saw the topic and came here to say bloody roar. one of the funnest fighters ever

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (11791 posts) -

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6044 posts) -

@Branthog said:

"THAT WAS CLUTCH DUDE" or "YOLO"

That (plus "Beast Mode") is pretty much all I hear when I watch Twitch TV streams of fighting games. It's oddly...refreshing to hear young dudes just completely embrace their dumb lingo, when everyone I know personally is old enough to think those terms are pretty dumb (myself included).

I guess I like that they just don't give a eff?

@cjmabry said:

For sure, that touchdown is ridiculous, but still, it seems like young football fans already had a meaning behind "beast mode" that they then applied to Lynch. I don't get the feeling that dudes suddenly just invented the term out of whole cloth to refer to Marshawn Lynch.

#21 Posted by NegativeCero (2972 posts) -

I never really thought about it. I just remember people in high school saying it. Maybe there was a movie that came out that started it?

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Beast has been a word used in a pretty dumb way for a long ass time, I think some guy just happened to say "mode" after it because he was being especially dumb, and it caught on. I get the feeling this didn't have a particularly major origin, and just came up.

#23 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3716 posts) -

Man I love Lynch. One of the most underrated players in the NFL.

And people saying Bloody Roar or some shit? LOL come on dudes. No one is using the term because they played Bloody Roar.

Lynch is the biggest reason it's a known term.

#24 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I have no idea where the term comes from, just wanted to leave this here.

#25 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

This resulted in me youtubing Beast Wars and being severely disappointed by the disparity between my memory of the show's quality, and reality. Thanks for nothing, thread.

#26 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

At first I thought you were referring to the Gears of War mode. But......uh, I don't know. I generally don't partake in that new age slang the kids use these days.

#27 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It seems like I've been hearing that for years now.

#28 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

altered beast?

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3800 posts) -
@Branthog said:

But, then, I just trick myself into thinking they're saying BREAST MODE, which I can totally get behind.

#1reasonwhy
#30 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

I watched Beast Wars as a kid so I'm going to say that's where "beast mode" is from.

#31 Posted by D_W (1106 posts) -

I throw in another vote for Altered Beast, because video games.

#32 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1912 posts) -

@eskimo said:

altered beast?

@D_W said:

I throw in another vote for Altered Beast, because video games.

Came in to say this. Then again if anyone is referring to AB when they say that, and I mean ever, then they're some of the worst people on the planet.

#33 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

It's from Beast Wars. FACT. Prove me wrong, assholes.

#34 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Gears 3.

#35 Posted by BisonHero (6044 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

This resulted in me youtubing Beast Wars and being severely disappointed by the disparity between my memory of the show's quality, and reality. Thanks for nothing, thread.

It's about as bad as every Transformers cartoon is when you go back later and watch it as an adult.

The handful of times that Megatron tries to fuck with the timeline and kill the ancestors of man or the Autobots from Gen 1 were kind of cool. Also, the part where the Voyager Golden Records were a key part of the series is still awesome and hilarious in a really weird, dumb way.

#36 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

It's from Beast Wars, kiddies.

Listen to your elders.

#37 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

@psylah said:

It's from Beast Wars, kiddies.

Listen to your elders.

#38 Posted by cruxking (204 posts) -

If the characters in beast wars are from Cybertron why does rat trap have an over the top New York accent?

but seriously its from beast wars.

#39 Posted by Sinusoidal (1255 posts) -

I've heard it used a lot to describe Daigo Umehara's Street Fighter play. It's also his nickname. Not sure when that came about though.

#40 Edited by gla55jAw (2684 posts) -

@MechaKirby said:

As far as I know Marshawn Lynch has been using the phrase to refer to his play since at least 2007. Here's the prime example of beast mode

Yeah, I'm not sure if he had the nickname in college, but it was used for him when he was on the Buffalo Bills. As in he was turning into his inner Beast (a buffalo).

#41 Posted by ManAze (9 posts) -

Marshawn Lynch's Grill Piece before he was even in the NFL

#42 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

I think Beast Wars when I hear that term.

#43 Posted by Raven10 (1690 posts) -

I have never heard that term in my life. I guess I'm not up with what the cool kids say anymore. I've heard someone say they were "beast" at something, meaning they were really good at it, but never heard beast mode before.

#44 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

original origin- from beast wars. where mechanical aliens switched into their animal counterparts to heal wounds or fight with primal fury. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Beast%20Mode&defid;=5389864 Sorry I'm on my iPad so I can't add the hyperlink.

#45 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

YOLO FOOT, FOOTDIVE

#swag #kappa

#46 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

I am glad I am not the only one who always thinks of Beast Wars.

#47 Posted by vorpalparasite (269 posts) -

Beast Wars was the first thing that came to my mind. Rattrap!

#48 Posted by Zebracal (74 posts) -

When I first saw your title, first thing come to mind was Bloody Roar

#49 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I know it didn't originate from there, but 'Alice' has a pretty great, relatively early , Beast-transformation.

#50 Posted by dandead (170 posts) -

The Bloody Roar games?