• 68 results
#1 Posted by Merx (52 posts) -

So what is everybodys game thats come out this year, that isnt neccesarily a triple A title, but has really surprised you?

For me, its got to be UFC: Undisputed. Bought on the 20 odd minute video and recommendation by Jeff and Ryan, it is easily one of the most surprisingly great games Ive ever played, never mind this year.

Not since Hitman: Blood Money have I gone "Oh snap, Im actually really enjoying this!"

The game isnt perfect but it reminds me of Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 to which I lost much of my early teens, and a few school qualifications to. Although Im yet to find a wrestling game with the ability to completly customise your move set, awesome character customisation and cool tag team stuff etc, UFC comes close with the same sort of technicality to it. Rather than just random mashing.

Mastering the ground game is my tactic, a full mount is almost a game over for your opponent, especially with my regular fighter, Rampage Jackson. The online play is really quite something.

Its true though, the only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. I got absolutly battered by a guy who was all over me with full mounts, and I was like "dude, I need to be able to do that" so I went into training and figured out how to do full mounts and I can beat guys with no ground game in under a minute now.

Anyway, Im rambling but it goes to show my enthusiasm for this game. So, what game have you gone "Oh snap, way better than I expected!" so far in 2009?

Merx.

#2 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

I'm waiting for Splatterhouse to answer this question.  I have a feeling that game is not being promoted nearly enough for how awesome I think it's going to be.  = D

#3 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

Does it have to be from 2009? The only game I bought that came out in 2009 was RE5. But if we count other years then I must say a brand new copy of Mass Effect for $10 was my best surprise so far this year. I can't believe I never looked into it before I bought it!

#4 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
ShadowKiller said:
Does it have to be from 2009? The only game I bought that came out in 2009 was RE5. But ... [more]
Same here. I bought Assassin's Creed and loving it. I should have known I would like it, but yeah... a surprise.
#5 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Red Faction.  Haven't played the full game yet, but after playing the demos, I'm completely sold and know this will be one of my top games of '09.

#6 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I would have to say Little King's Story. That game surpassed all my expectations. After that is Devil Summoner 2, I am not far in, but it is much better than its predecessor.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, did it have to come out in 09, or did we just have to play it?

#8 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
Video_Game_King said:
Wait, did it have to come out in 09, or did we just have to play it?
Lol......the answer to that lies in the first sentence of the first post.....
#9 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Take back what I said earlier.  I DO have a surprise game of 2009 so far:  BattleForge.  That game surprised the shit out of me as to how good it is.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
Stang said:
Video_Game_King said: Wait, did it have to come out in 09, or did we just have to play it? Lol......the ... [more]
I read that sentence, but for whatever reason, completely forgot about that one part. And since there's only one game I have from 09, I'd say Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
#11 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

50 cent blood on the sand

#12 Posted by Merx (52 posts) -

Alright, lets open it up to recent years then. The more recent the better.

In that respect, Saints Row 2 quickly became 1 of my favorite "First time" experiances EVER. That game is just crazily good fun. Its not great graphically, mechanically or presentation, yet it still managed to make me laugh out loud, care when a character died, feel really powerful, feel really helpless but most importantly: IT WAS FUN!

All to often with big games these days they try to emulate big hollywood moments, Gears 2 was such a fail in my book, everything felt like a soulless attempt to go "LOOK HOW MANY AI-FREE DUDES YOU CAN MURDER AT ONCE!", "Great, thanks for that Epic, how about some substance?"

Both Saints games are great and punch well above their weight. Dare I say it I had more fun with Saints 1 and 2 than I did with GTA IV?

And to expand on Hitman: Blood Money, lets face it, we all like the idea of the Hitman games but they often SUCKED 90% of the time for the pay off of 1 great moment. Well in Blood Money they stopped being annoying and really clever, tactical approaches to the missions where you felt like you were actually a hitman. Walking out of the front door of a building with nobody noticing that youve just killed the main dude is such a cool moment.

#13 Posted by DECA555 (400 posts) -

Infamous. I was completely uninterested in this game until about a month ago. Saw some really sweet gameplay videos, brad's reaction and love for it on the podcast / quicklook and now the demo. Completely surprised me and it is now my most anticipated game of the next few months. 

#14 Posted by pweidman (2325 posts) -

For me in 2009(still mostly playing  the incredible crop from last year....best year for great games easily for me), RE5 would have to be the game.  I really didn't  know what to expect, but found the game very fun and exceptionally replayable.  The graphics were state of the art and this game had some of the best models I've ever seen 0.0. The co-op was awesome also, and I think Capcom's  implementation of it was a complete success.  I've never played an RE game b4 and that prolly helped me appreciate it more than others maybe.

#15 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

Dishwasher: the Dead Samurai was a surprisingly high quality community game on XBLA.

#16 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

Probably RE5. I thought the 2 player would kill the experience but it actually is one of my favorite games I've played

#17 Posted by haytek (78 posts) -

The only game I'm really excited about, is Encharted 2. And I hope is not delay.

#18 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Demon's Souls. Import only at the time of purchase and well while quite difficult it is fun.

#19 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6154 posts) -

I haven't picked up any games from 2009 that have blown me away, but I picked up a copy of Gothic 2 Gold off GOG, and it's quite an amazing game with a hell of a lot of depth and replay value.  I'm already plotting out how my next character is going to work, and I'm only on the third chapter.

My favorite of 2009 I guess would be Suikoden Teirkreis, but even that left me wanting something more.  Console-wise, I'm impressed by the demo for inFamous, and I am waiting on it and Boom Blox 2 from Amazon.

#20 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

Strictly in 2009, so far it's Space Invaders Extreme. I was surprised at just how much that game changes the formula and refreshes Space Invaders. Anyone who dug Pac Man CE or enjoys the "Mizuguchi" style should play it.
But my biggest recent game right now is Valkyria Chronicles. I've been playing the hell out of that for the past few days. I've been away from strategy RPGs for a while, but this game is bringing back the part of me that loved Shining Force on the Genesis. Every battle in VC feels different and important, and makes the old strategy RPG genre feel contemporary. Love it.

#21 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Dude, 50 Cent.

#22 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Killing Floor? I dunno man nothing really right now for 2009 IMO, but I had low expectations for KF, I played it and it was better than I thought it would be.

#23 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm not really sure how many games I've even played from 2009 so far since I've really been trying to catch up on all of the big hits from 2008. Anyway, I gotta give this to Resident Evil 5. It is a hyped, triple A title, but considering a lot of the negative reactions and my unpleasant experience with the demo, I can totally say the end game really surprised me and amazed me and is a darn fine predecessor to RE4.

#24 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Tenchu: Shadow Assasins. I really enjoyed it a lot, especially considering that I didn't like any Tenchu game before it.

#25 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Little King's Story.

#26 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Red Faction Guerilla kinda snuck up on me this year. I didnt know a thing about it until the demos and now im eagerly awaiting it and am expecting ot to be one of this years best games.

#27 Posted by ADDTasty (109 posts) -

Plants vs. Zombies.

#28 Posted by TMThomsen (2071 posts) -

The Red Faction Guerilla demo blew me away.

#29 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Zen Pinball. And inFamous.

#30 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
ADDTasty said:
Plants vs. Zombies.
Dude why didn't I think of that? Plants vs Zombies was a great surprise for me.
#31 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
ADDTasty said:
Plants vs. Zombies.
Dude why didn't I think of that? Plants vs Zombies was a great surprise for me.
#32 Posted by Almak (90 posts) -

This year, hands down Resident Evil 5. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, let alone play through it over 6 times.
I'm really hopeful that Prototype is going to fall under this category as well but I'm beginning to loose faith there. :/

#33 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I don't know, nothing's really blown me away or shocked me so far. Well, Sheva's AI in RE5 was shockingly bad. It surprised me that Capcom would have such a great game on their hands, and then shit all over it. But as far as games that surprised me in a good way, I guess Street Fighter 4. The game always looked good, but playing it really reminded me of all the time I spend playing the SF2 games (never got that much into 3) in the arcade and on the SNES.

#34 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

Hmmmmm, good question!

I would have to say Defense Grid was the most surprising.  Honourable mention to PvZ and Prince of Persia.

Steam sales are my #1 source of "Oh snap! This is actually quite good!" moments.  PoP was 50% off, Defense Grid was £3.50 ($5).

#35 Posted by scurrybot (51 posts) -

plants vs zombies

#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

Well, there have been a couple of surprises so far for me.  I was shock to see that Batman: Arkham Asylum might actually be a good Batman game.  At this point in my life, whenever I hear the words "Batman game"  I usually groan and ignore whatever follows.  But, this looks to be pretty good and has me excited to hear more about it.  The Red Faction: Guerrilla demo surprised me by its replayability.  Not since Crackdown have I had this much fun with a demo.  

The biggest surprise for me is PSN's Flower.  I was so against this title originally and labelled it a non-game before playing it based off impressions of Flow, but it is a remarkable gaming experience.  If you just let go of your preconceptions, and (excuse the pun) let the game flow through you, it becomes a unique amusement.  The game induces a state of  "bliss".

#37 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -

50 cent blood on the sand has been the game ive had most fun with. witch is fugging suprising

#38 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

I love Trackmania DS.

#39 Edited by Merx (52 posts) -
Jimbo said:
Hmmmmm, good question! I would have to say Defense Grid was the most surprising.  Honourable mention to PvZ and Prince ... [more]
Prince of Persia? Really?

I love sands of time, infact its probably my third favorite game behind Max Payne 2 and Saints Row 2, and just before Mass Effect. Mainly because of its strong sense of world and character, much like the other 3 games I just mentioned.

For the reboot of the series however, although the dialogue was witty and the world was well realised, it fell way short of greatness for me. As soon as you get the sliding corruption balls and the corruption ring when fighting bosses, there is literally no more that game has to offer you. I quit at rougly half way through from my reckoning.
#40 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -

Well, 50 Cent BoTS

The Red Faction demo was the bad kind of suprise for me. I thought the game would be a far more intelligent, destruction based action/shooter. Instead I got a mindless "blow-everything-up" ultimate destruction game. Might still be worth a rental, but I was somewhat dissapointed by what we recieved
#41 Posted by snoopeasystreet (108 posts) -

Outrun Online Arcade. I bought this game by accident after coming home drunk one night. I knew about Outrun but only played it once or twice in the arcade. 

I can't stop playing it now.
#42 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
Stang said:
I would have to say Little King's Story. That game surpassed all my expectations. After that is Devil Summoner 2, ... [more]

Ditto. Little King Story.

#43 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

I've yet to been surprised yet by anything in 2009 - however have high hopes for Prototype.

#44 Posted by Artie (690 posts) -

InFamous, wasn't looking forward to it, seemed like a total "meh" release, and then I played the demo and fell in love instantly.

Dawn of War II also gave me a lot more enjoyment than I was expecting.

#45 Posted by SenatorSpacer (432 posts) -

Dishwasher: Dead Samurai

#46 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Halo Wars. Great online game great matchmaking lots of people playing, not to mention this is one of those rare games im actually good at so that helps a lot.

#47 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

UFC 2009, went in thinking about those terrible UFC games on PS2 and XBOX but when I played it, I was pleasantly surprised.

#48 Posted by The_Tolman (432 posts) -

halo wars probably. the story mode kinda sucked but online is alot of fun and so is like battle mode or what ever its called

#49 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

...wow. I don't think I've bought any games from 2009 thus far. (other than XBLA/PSN games)

Most surprising that I've bought this year would be Dead Space. I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. I REALLY enjoyed that game. Played thru it 2 times in a row (which I usually never do.)

#50 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -
kmdrkul said:
Red Faction.  Haven't played the full game yet, but after playing the demos, I'm completely sold and know this will ... [more]
This.  I didn't have much faith in the next Red Faction game after hearing about all the changes in it, but the demo was amazing.