What is going on with the staff tweets?

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It doesn't seem to ever change. Is it broken or do the staff just not tweet that much? If the staff doesn't use the tweets then why are they there? Forum activity would be a much better use for that space. Thoughts?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It's broken. I can't remember if it was Dave or Alexis who said it but I think it's support to be fixed this week.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It's broken right now.

I agree that forum activity would be better.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

That space would be better served just listing the staffs twitter accounts until they fix it.

Or bring back "Recent Topics" to the front page and stick it there.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Borked

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Staff tweets are pretty dumb anyways, I mean, they want followers, but only respond to their close friends, and acquaintance's, so I just don't see the point.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I actually kinda miss that big link to ComicVine on the bottom. Granted I never read that site but I'd browse through their "recent art picks" since they had some really nicely drawn stuff.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Zleunamme

I do miss seeing the Comic Vine link at the bottom too. The staff tweets had the same problem on the old site, rarely updating. Honestly I'm not interested on what they put on Twitter. Unless the guys want to tweet about their intrepid experience getting a burrito at Taco bell. I wouldn't mind if they put friends of the site like Will Smith or Gary Whitta tweets.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hate to say it, but staff tweets seem like a useless addition to the home page--even more so when we consider that they were added at the expense of visible forum updates. Anyone who uses Twitter is already following the Giant Bomb staff, right?

@big_jon said:

Staff tweets are pretty dumb anyways, I mean, they want followers, but only respond to their close friends, and acquaintance's, so I just don't see the point.

Now, that ain't entirely fair; Ryan Davis loves interacting with (i.e. blocking) fans on Twitter.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine they allowed it to be borked while they worked on fixing other things. Once everything's good, I think they'll work on perhaps getting the forums back on the front page, but we'll see. Definitely not a top priority item for them.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By big_jon

I hate to say it, but staff tweets seem like a useless addition to the home page--even more so when we consider that they were added at the expense of visible forum updates. Anyone who uses Twitter is already following the Giant Bomb staff, right?

@big_jon said:

Now, that ain't entirely fair; Ryan Davis loves interacting with (i.e. blocking) fans on Twitter.

Really? If that's true, it's pretty douchey, but I'd have to assume it'd need to be warranted.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's broken and uninteresting.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Catarrhal

Another potential problem with the staff tweets is Alex Navarro's bizarre fascination with Nic Cage. I have no desire to see ridiculous photos of Nic Cage every time I visit the goddamn site.

No disrespect to Alex, of course.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I personally like it, it's like a magical time capsule from two weeks ago...

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I personally like it, it's like a magical time capsule from two weeks ago...

2/13/13 Never forget.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If Alex is going to write thoughtful long-form articles on Duck Tales, Ryan is going to promote them. That's how this works.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

get rid of the staff tweets unless they make video game only twitter accounts. i follow these guys and most of the time it's just personal twitter stuff to friends and has nothing to do with games. does GB really need to see what Ryan is having for lunch or that he is bored and watching movies on TnT(the tv channel, not thursday night throwdown)? do we really want tweets like the ones from last night about the oscars on the front page? i would rather see forum topics there.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Superkenon

@jayzilla: As I understand it, the forum topics are going to return anyway. They're just keeping them off the front page for now until the site's at full stability.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'll never know what the giant bomb crew is up to in their personal lives.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

Hopefully once it's fixed they filter out all the retweets. Those are useless noise.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Lukeweizer

Their Twitter stuff is always broken.

Is anyone aware of an option to have the most recently commented forums come up on the front page (like they did on the old site)? Is there an option for that?

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Optix12

@lukeweizer:

They know that most people are requesting this back, and they have known about the twitter thing for ages but theyve had other major issues to fix, they only just recently got the inbox links working again so best to give them time. Edit: there is no option to put it there yet.

My assumption is the community showcase section which is taking up an overly large section will be shrunk or just removed for the forum section (like in the old days) and eventually the twitter thing will be fixed. Maybe they could adapt a mini feed of their tumblrs instead as that seems more interesting and less personal of them joking with the usual GB friends about things

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

The point? About 80 percent of all videogame journalism is being conducted through twitter nowadays it seems. Half the news stories on all those gaming blogs are about some shit a developer tweeted. So I guess you have to have some sort of twitter integration, right?

For the record, I don´t exactly like this trend.. or twitter in general, because I think professional and private life should be kept completely separate.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HA! I laughed at the idea of Ryan not updating his twitter feed, it is in fact the opposite, its where tweets go to die. He took the 'Nothing Stops' mantra and applied it to Twitter.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's broken, and even if it worked, all it would be is Ryan twitter spam.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

@big_jon said:

Not true. They just respond to what they want to respond too. I've gotten tweets from Jeff, Alex and Ryan. You got to realize as public figures they get tons of @ replies a day. Sifting through all of that or responding to every one would be a job in itself.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

I prefer the old forum posts. There was game-centered posts I might be interested in or stuff in GD or Off-Topic I might find interesting and could chime in on; if I want to read their tweets, I'd just go to their twitter.