Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1207 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: What is the best 3D Mario platformer? (Please disregard the other threads I made because I'm terrible at using forums) (81 votes)

Super Mario 64 35%
Super Mario Sunshine 9%
Super Mario Galaxy 35%
Super Mario Galaxy 2 11%
Super Mario 3D Land 11%

On this week's bombcast Patrick made the claim that Super Mario 3D Land is the best 3D Mario game based on the later stages, which I thought was CRAZY. I think Super Mario 3D Land is a really great game, but THE best 3D Mario game? Come on. It's got to be Mario 64 or Galaxy 2, right? But, everyone is entitled to an opinion, so what's yours vote?

*Disregard the other threads I made on this topic and let's pretend they don't exist*

#1 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

Since the others don't exist I'll repost my opinions. Galaxy 2 is the best and 3D Land is the worst by far. Patrick is wrong.

#2 Edited by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

64 is the only one I find myself revisiting over and over and over again. It blew me away back then, and whether it's nostalgia that justifies whatever flaws it may have, it's still the only Mario game that really captured me - something I doubt is soon to happen again.

#3 Edited by TooWalrus (13152 posts) -

Again, Sunshine.

#4 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10814 posts) -
#5 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Again, I think they all suck.

#6 Edited by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

We still don't care.

#7 Edited by posh (473 posts) -

galaxy 1! I see it as the arkham asylum to galaxy 2's arkham city. galaxy 1 might have had less variety and content overall but I enjoyed everything feeling familiar and traversing between levels being its own hubworld rather than the dissonant menus. I don't mind playing the same levels over and over if they still feel enjoyable every time. also, galaxy 1 was the first of its kind and blew me away when i bought it on release

#8 Posted by believer258 (11771 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

Again, Sunshine.

Again, these men are correct.

@jdh5153 said:

Again, this one is not.

#9 Posted by towolie (51 posts) -

galaxy 1, i missed a hub world in galaxy 2 ( i might be crazy but i love hub worlds xD )

#10 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I got heavy nostalgia for 64 but galaxy is my favorite. Galaxy 2 improved on it in some ways but it lacks the impact the first did for me due to how unexpectedly I liked it. Galaxy is one of my favorite games of the gen hands down. A fantastic game.

#11 Edited by Turambar (6709 posts) -

I have a lot of nostalgia for 64, but Galaxy.

#12 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (282 posts) -

64, extremely closely followed by Galaxy 1.

#13 Posted by Dalai (7016 posts) -

I got heavy nostalgia for 64 but galaxy is my favorite. Galaxy 2 improved on it in some ways but it lacks the impact the first did for me due to how unexpectedly I liked it. Galaxy is one of my favorite games of the gen hands down. A fantastic game.

@turambar said:

I have a lot of nostalgia for 64, but Galaxy.

Absolutely this.

Super Mario Sunshine, however, can burn in a fire.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24255 posts) -

I'm always surprised by the number of people that actually consider Sunshine one of the better Mario games.

#15 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

as far as i know its a galaxy game. i was super surprised to hear patrick suggest that it was 3d land, but who am i to judge, seeing as how i haven't played it.

#16 Edited by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Voted Mario64, just doing God's work.

Also, no way in hell Sunshine is better than 3d land, what kind of dope are kids smoking these days?!!?!?!?

#17 Posted by StarFoxA (5143 posts) -

Come on, we all know it's Super Mario Galaxy.

#18 Edited by believer258 (11771 posts) -
#19 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -
#20 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2 are genius, nearly flawless and two of the best games ever made. 3D Land was cool but only alright overall. Sunshine was lacking in several ways but still way cool and I have a serious love/hate relationship with Mario 64.

#21 Posted by geirr (2506 posts) -

64 and Galaxy

#22 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario game.

#23 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

Galaxy 2 is amazing. I preferred the smaller, more tightly designed levels compared to the first game.

And it was impressive how imaginative and creative some parts were.

#24 Edited by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

I've only played Mario 64 and Super Mario 3D land. I love the hell out of both of those games, but I voted for the latter because I wanted to be different.

#25 Edited by liquiddragon (229 posts) -

I can't believe galaxy is winning. I loved galaxy and it's an amazing game, right up there as one of the best games of the current gen but 64 is GROUNDBREAKING!!! It was a mindblowing game and will remain in the history of videogames FOREVER!! there is no galaxy without 64. though I havent played galaxy 2 or 3d land, i'm sure they're great! sunshine has to be the worst. of course it's not a bad game by a long shot but the lack of polish and overall lack of creativity is shocking and way WAY below nintendo standards, especially considering it was their flagship Mario title for the little purple cube.

#26 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Sunshine is not a bad game. It's not the best, but it had some great stuff.