What is the best and worst thing this generation?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So in you opinion what is the best and worst thing to come it of this generation? Best: Revival of fighting games Worst: 3D becoming the new thing

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dantheman1515

3D isn't the new thing. SOny is only pushing it so they can sell TV's and Nintendo is only sing it because they need another gimmick to sell systems.  

Best thing- Online gaming coming into its own. Started last gen, bust has thrived this gen. 
Worst Thing- Halo Reach only getting 4 out of 5 stars on Giant Bomb.  

Just Kidding, I can't think of any negatives, I just like playing games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I still don't like motion controls, but I do like the fact that games are more refined than ever and not really hampered by technology.  Huge worlds, consistent frame rates, smooth online play, and even experimentation through downloadable games is all happening  because these systems are pushing existing genres to their limits.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TotalEklypse

more ignorant spoiled children with absolutely zero common sense and even more retarded parents.  

o you meant gaming generation?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By EpicSteve

DLC is both the best and worst thing this generation. Mostly the RPG stuff has been badass, but some studios are utilizing DLC for crutches and charging outrageous fees.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli
@RE_Player92 said:

" So in you opinion what is the best and worst thing to come it of this generation? Best: Revival of fighting games Worst: 3D becoming the new thing "

I kinda agree with you. Gaming has lost a whole lot of pacing in general since the dawn of polygons. Final Fantasy is my favorite example of why some games did suffer by the transition from pixels to polygons.

The SNES Final Fantasy games were much faster paced than their more modern equivalents, because there wasn't some kind of crazy animation and camera rotation to add to the eyecandy. It was straightforward.

Same goes for the shooter genre. I loved games like Super Contra - 2D Jump n' Shoot games. 3D games still haven't fully captured the speed and precision of movement, dodging incoming attack patterns, of those days. Almost all shooters are cover-reliant and are so fucking slow and passive in comparison.

...then again. I am all for more immersive worlds, so I'm not fundamentally against the change from flat pixels to three dimensional polygons. I just wish gamedesigners were more successful at capturing that high-paced straightforward feel of the gamedesign of the 8bit/16bit-era.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

The best thing: Online Play in general. Persistent Online Worlds specifically.

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By jaymorgoth
@EpicSteve said:
" DLC is both the best and worst thing this generation. Mostly the RPG stuff has been badass, but some studios are utilizing DLC for crutches and charging outrageous fees. "
This I most heartily agree with. along with the pricing structures and offerings of the DLC. They are companies who do it right (Bethesda, Rcokstar) and companies that do it wrong (EA, Activistion).
Peetabix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Peetabix

Terrible expensive DLC overload.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By blackbird415

best: revival of fighting games :)   YYYEEESSSSS!!!!! MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

worst: the way in which the games industry has become as a business. Long do I for the developers to have the range of freedom of the 90s where it was a why not mentality instead of have to hit certain demographics and if its a marketable product. The games industry has become over businessafied.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

Best : meaty games at low prices.  recently game prices drop really quick, and I do feel lots of games deliver good content for the price.  lots of small things like good online play on consoles and the rise of smaller budget games and the return of fighting games...

Worst : the colliding of worlds (PC and console).  they're trying to merge into one middle platform that doesn't have the traditional advantages of either.  I did prefer it when PC games were PC games and console games were console games, and rarely did they meet.  Also, the rise of DRM and the fall of Japanese games development.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By ESREVER

Best: Digital Distribution of games (legally)  
Worst: Pre-Order in-game DLC and exclusive contents for a platform that aren't just cosmetic.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By natetodamax

Best: Practically everything but the people on Xbox LIVE
Worst: The people on Xbox LIVE

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#14  Edited By psykhophear
Best Thing:  The advent of the Internet. It is such a wonderful notion to be able to obtain information just like that and also to get anything you want thanks to eBay, Amazon and Play-Asia. I can finally collect all the games and toys I've been longing for for so long.

Worst Thing: Today's music. It's still pains me to see how music has evolved drastically into something so abysmal and so corrupting. Not only does this generation's music sucks, but also the images it produce. Nowadays, music is all about money, fame, sex and dirty talking and less on originality and soul. Music videos have turned into a sex club scene with prostitutes and gangsta wannabes dirtying all over the TV screen and even the hosts on MTV Music Awards have nothing to say but sex jokes and private parts. There's just no limitations anymore. Everybody does whatever they please and they just don't care if it's morally bad or not. And whatever happened to rock music? I don't see them anymore. They still exist but this stupid clubbing pop scene is taking the limelight.  
I hate today's music. That's all there is to it. Even good artists have joined the filthy wagon and crapped all over the radio and music videos. Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Britney, Christina, etc. you disappoint me.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
Best:Steams run away success in digital distribution, and PC's starting to get big name exclusives again in the coming months/years.
Runner Up for Best:Dragon Age on the PC   

Worst:
How every game is having content cut from it to be sold as day one as DLC, platform exclusive content and all this pre-order exclusives crap. It's seriously destroying this industry.
Runner Up for worst:All the multiplatform games on the PC  that keep getting delayed for months after the console versions come out.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Deadly Premonition is the best, because it's awesome, and also the worst, because if it weren't for the story, it wouldn't be very good. 

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Bigrhyno
Best: HD gaming 

Worst: Motion controls
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The best thing? Pc graphics and constantly evolving graphics with perfect textures.

The worst things? Static hardware on consoles which makes for lousy multiplatform games and less memory for textures at low resolutions. Either that or motion controls, or both.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:
" DLC is both the best and worst thing this generation. Mostly the RPG stuff has been badass, but some studios are utilizing DLC for crutches and charging outrageous fees. "
Took the words right out of my mouth. 
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By ESREVER
@crusader8463 said:
" Best:Steams run away success in digital distribution, and PC's starting to get big name exclusives again in the coming months/years.

Worst:
How every game is having content cut from it to be sold as day one as DLC, platform exclusive content and all this pre-order exclusives crap. It's seriously destroying this industry.
Runner Up for worst:All the multiplatform games on the PC  that keep getting delayed for months after the console versions come out. "
Awesome, we have the same views. I agree completely that re-order exclusive is ruining the industry.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pinworm45

the worst thing is pretty much everything. It all fucking sucks. 

The best thing was me coming to the realizing that PC gaming hasn't died, it's just evolved.

Favocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Favocado
@crusader8463 said:
" Best:Steams run away success in digital distribution, and PC's starting to get big name exclusives again in the coming months/years.

Worst:
Runner Up for worst:All the multiplatform games on the PC  that keep getting delayed for months after the console versions come out. "
I have to agree with just about everything you mentioned about DLC. I used to like the fact that companies can continue to support a game without having to create a whole new installment, but the way DLC is being handled these days really drives me up the wall.

Oh, and pre-order/platform exclusive content. I hate it with a flaming passion.
EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EliasT

Lets see, worst things:
The Nintendo Wii
Playstation Move
3D
Microsoft Kinect

Best things:
The PSP
Metal Gear Solid 4 ending the series on a good note (timeline-wise)
GTA IV surpassing San Andreas from a quality stand point.
Steam

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoRoNimo

I can't decide if the decline in console exclusivity is a best or worst thing. It's a thing, that's for sure. 

Also, the rampant release of "Limited Editions" or "Ultimate Editions" and things along that line. Can't decide if it's good or bad.

eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By eljay
@RE_Player92 said:
" So in you opinion what is the best and worst thing to come it of this generation? Best: Revival of fighting games Worst: 3D becoming the new thing "
How many 3D games have you been playing? You must have a time machine or be a developer because last I checked 3D games still haven't made it to market, so to say it is the absolute worst part of this generation of games is a little presumptive.

Best: The spread of digital distribution and the ability for non-traditional developers to bring their products to market.

Worst: The malaise currently enveloping games journalism as the industry becomes increasingly commercialized. Few gaming publications online or in pint offer anything to differentiate themselves from one another.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DystopiaX

Best: The success of Steam, XBLA, and other digital distribution systems that allow smaller games to get out and become successes. 
Worst: Day 1 DLC, pre-order bonuses, and more that lock fans and paying customers from content that they should have anyway.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RE_Player1
@Eljay said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
How many 3D games have you been playing? You must have a time machine or be a developer because last I checked 3D games still haven't made it to market, so to say it is the absolute worst part of this generation of games is a little presumptive.

Best: The spread of digital distribution and the ability for non-traditional developers to bring their products to market.

Worst: The malaise currently enveloping games journalism as the industry becomes increasingly commercialized. Few gaming publications online or in pint offer anything to differentiate themselves from one another. "
I've played a couple 3D games at my friends house. Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, and a new Motorstorm game in 3D are all available at the playstation store. Playing those games in 3D I can honestly say it added nothing for me except a headache afterwards. 
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidSwords

Worst: The only games some people know is Halo, MW, and Madden (These people are probably the biggest shit talkers/whiners)

Best: As someone from the old school, I'm happy to see there are still great games out there.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Noodles

Best: DLC
Worst: DLC

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#30  Edited By Grumbel
Best: wireless controllers, HD, demos
Worst: Patches, DRM, one-time-use codes to make used games harder to buy/sell, copy protected savegames, HDCP, Red Ring and Disc Scratching issues

Honorable Mention: Motion Controls, for not producing one good game in four years, but there might be some hope with the next generation of Motion Controllers
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By evanbrau

Best: Being in my opinion the best generation for gaming ever when viewed without rose tinted glasses. The quality of titles emerging over the past few years has been absolutely insane. I'll also mention that gaming coming into the mainstream and out of the basement is by far the most positive thing that has probably ever happened to the industry, long may it continue.

Worst: Probably the way in which DLC and pre-release items have become so heavily monetised, I would have preferred to see it go another way.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cold_Wolven

The best thing would be high definition games as well as online services and DLC to extend the games I like. The worst thing would be motion controls as they can make playing games feel uncomfortable especially when the controls aren't done right and you're using too much motion just to get a basic attack down (red steel 2). 

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zlimness

Best: Achievements, better online functionality than previous gen for consoles

Worst: DLC, patches for console games

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points