What is the best gaming PC that's cheap?

Ninjakid7396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Ninjakid7396

Any laptop or desktop is fine please provide links

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Building your own will be far cheaper than buying one pre-built.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

I'd like to get into PC gaming as well

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Diamond

Besides building a PC yourself or finding a really good builder like AVADirect, the real trick is buying the right specs, not spending too much or too little.

The Crysis PC was a bunch of shit.  They're really bullshitting in that video TMH, my PC is better than that and I get dips to 20-ish FPS in Crysis at 1680x1050.  UT3 will often drop below 60fps in gameplay (DX10 though).  Of course it'll still run most stuff just fine.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By cinemandrew
@MattyFTM said:
" Building your own will be far cheaper than buying one pre-built. "
Exactly right. I am going to be building my own gaming machine soon, and it's definitely cheaper to build your own. If you don't know how, or don't have the patience, then that's a different story entirely. This is going to be my first time building my own machine, so it will definitely be a learning experience for me. I'm confident that I will be able to do it. It just might take a couple tries to get it right. If you have any friends who are into PC gaming, or build their own computers, ask them for help. Hell, you could probably find a youtube video or two with tutorials on building your own machine. I know I'll be searching for those about 2 hours after everything shows up in the mail, when I realize I have no idea what I'm doing.
egads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By egads

There is actually a really great post about this over on NeoGAF.  I cant find it at the moment, but I have the computer they recommended.  I bought all the parts off of Newegg and assembled it myself, though I have never before put a computer together.  If you want my specs, Ill send them to you.  My rig cost just over $1000 with a monitor (but that was a while ago with a couple deals and bundles), and runs Crysis on the highest settings.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Alienware of Macbook Pro, trust me...it's worth it in the long run!  :)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn
@natetodamax said:

"I'd like to get into PC gaming as well "

Do it, don't be scared ,PC gaming isn't some cult, but if you tell anyone our secrets, we will have to kill you. 

Edit: And yes, Dave Snider is the leader, of our...... organization.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@KaosAngel: This post made no sense to me.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond
@egads: Yea I admit NeoGAF tipped me off on AVADirect.  I'd never even heard of them before that.  I didn't listen to any of the specific posters though, but I'm certain good advice comes together here and there.
egads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By egads
@KaosAngel: 

Ummm... no.  Alienware is owned by Dell, and their computers are generally not superior to one you make yourself.  The only upside is that they come with a warranty, and you dont have to put them together yourself.  But for that, you will pay a hefty fee.  Also, why would you buy a Macbook to game on?  That doesnt make any sense.  Many, many games are PC only releases, and having Windows on your Mac cuts the Macs performance considerably.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
@egads: Question, if you can buy a super car, why not?  Alienware is the Benz of PC gaming...if you can do it, why not?  Also, Macbook Pros are NOT bad gaming PCs...they preform quite well...the entire GB staff has Macbook Pros...and game on them.  MBP run native Windows from a dual boot.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ninjakiller

I recommend this beauty. 

No Caption Provided

IBM 5100

The IBM 5100 is considered to be the first commercial portable computer, and is nearly the first personal computer, having been beaten to market by the Mits Altair by only a few months. Even so, it would never have been considered a "home computer" due to it's high price of $10,000-$20,000 USD depending on configuration. Weighing over 50 lbs, it would not seem very portable by todays standards, however when it was released in 1975, it was smaller (and lighter) than anything else that was available.  
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
@KaosAngel said:
" @egads: Question, if you can buy a super car, why not?  Alienware is the Benz of PC gaming...if you can do it, why not?
Computers aren't cars.  You can get a computer that's better than any specific Alienware for less money elsewhere.  It's a complete waste of money.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
@Diamond said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @egads: Question, if you can buy a super car, why not?  Alienware is the Benz of PC gaming...if you can do it, why not?
Computers aren't cars.  You can get a computer that's better than any specific Alienware for less money elsewhere.  It's a complete waste of money. "
The quality of the case, the internal wiring and professonal heat distributation is just the icing of the cake.  You also get a case that turns heads, and high quality service.  Some people are willing to pay that much for those things.

No one would turn down a free Alienware over a PC made at home with the same parts.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
@KaosAngel said:
The quality of the case, the internal wiring and professonal heat distributation is just the icing of the cake.  You also get a case that turns heads, and high quality service.  Some people are willing to pay that much for those things.  No one would turn down a free Alienware over a PC made at home with the same parts. "
Buying a PC based on the case is dumb though.  It's completely superficial.  I'd bet any expert builder could get the same heat distribution and wiring quality as well, if not better.

I'd rather have a computer expertly built by someone only building that one PC than Alienware built by Dell employees just pumping the stuff out, even if they have a commitment to being careful.
myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By myke_tuna

I tend to agree with Diamond here. The OP seems like they don't care what the case looks like (note the word "cheap"). The case I picked out for my custom PC isn't very much to look at, but I chose it for practical reasons and not because it says Area 51 on the side and...*gasp* the power button is a fucking Alien head! Holy shit, my dick is wet! Come on. I understand there are people that would like to have a power button in the shape of an alien's head, but the OP doesn't seem like they are one of those people. Again..."cheap". To me that doesn't mean the OP is broke or is a cheapskate, but they would like something that works. Plain and simple. Something that will play this and play that, and won't have to think about (at first, anyway) system specs and requirements. Something where you insert the disk (or download the game in the case of Steam), install, double-click, and "Wow, Resident Evil 5 runs incredibly smooth."

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By sjschmidt93

Your not just gonna get a "link" to a good cheap gaming PC. 

You gotta build one, man.

OroYoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OroYoke

Learning how to build your own PC would be the best option if you was affordability.  There is a nice tutorial on how to build a pc on gamespot hardware forum.  The guy was able to put together a nice computer for $535.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Meowayne
@ninjakiller said:
" I recommend this beauty. 
No Caption Provided

Man, I played Jill of the Jungle and a monochrome version of Zack McKraken on a machine very similar to that. 
(But that was in the 90s and it was a curiosity even then)