#1 Posted by zurichazure (60 posts) -

I'm debating purchasing a Roku or a Boxee. Any suggestions would be appreciated - I am mainly going to be using it for Amazon Prime and Whiskey Media streaming.

#2 Posted by Tatum (41 posts) -

Both are really good. Roku is the least expensive, so I would recommend it.

#3 Posted by ErinIsADrunk (164 posts) -

If you a PS3/360 you can download GB videos onto your computer and stream them to the PS3/Xbox 360. That's what I do and I find it is a nice solution without having to buy an additional piece of hardware to hook up to my TV.

#4 Posted by Ares42 (2589 posts) -

Buy a Mini-ITX computer, hook it up to your TV. Enjoy the marvels of internet and PC graphics on your TV =)

#5 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Buy a Mini-ITX computer, hook it up to your TV. Enjoy the marvels of internet and PC graphics on your TV =)

Buying a computer is the best bet. You can easily access anything on any site in any format ever.

#6 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

I bought a Roku specifically for Whiskey Media media. Love it. Their channels are goddamn awesome.

#7 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Cheapest option is probably the first Xbox.

#8 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

I use my Wii. It's SD only, but I only have an SDTV so that's fine!

This is quite a cheap solution with preowned Wiis as cheap as £50 here, but again it's only SD so you might want to go for something else.

#9 Posted by weegieanawrench (1935 posts) -

I would choose boxee, I've had no experience with Roku. Alternatively, you could hook up your macbook (if you have one) to your tv through hdmi and watch videos that way. It's what I've been doing more often since buying a 38'' tv.

#10 Posted by SeanFoster (858 posts) -

I download the video onto my iPad through RSS feeds and hook it up to the TV using the HDMI connector. Works well for me since I already had an iPad.

#11 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

Yeah, if you have a PS3 (especially) or a 360, you could just run something like the PS3 Media Server from your linux, OSX, or Windows desktop and connect to it from your console. I have a 32 terabyte file server filled with stuff that I stream through PS3 Media Server (there are several other options, but I found its support of MKV containers and other files is more up to date than other options).  And the best part is, you'll get all the content you can ever download to your computer, rather than just whatever some company wants to offer you in their proprietary service.

#12 Posted by Kazona (3060 posts) -

Another option is to download the free boxee app onto your computer or laptop and using an app on your smart phone to control it.

#13 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

I just have an HDMI from my computer to the TV, and use XBMC.

#14 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@Kazona said:

Another option is to download the free boxee app onto your computer or laptop and using an app on your smart phone to control it.

This, or just get a Boxee.

#15 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

PC. Though the Boxee is pretty sweet

#16 Posted by StriderNo9 (1084 posts) -

I use my Apple TV with my iPad, works great.