#1 Posted by Chocobodude3 (659 posts) -

For me it is System Shock 2

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3608 posts) -

Why?

#3 Edited by MentalDisruption (1664 posts) -

Neverwinter Nights I suppose. Baldurs Gate 2 had a better single player imo, but I sunk so much time playing neverwinter nights' multiplayer.

#4 Edited by mordukai (7184 posts) -

Nothing can touch Planescape: Torment when it comes to story and characters. When it comes to gameplay...A tie between Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate 2.

#5 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -
#6 Edited by JadeGL (947 posts) -

I loved Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. I know I can't adequately argue for it to be the "best" because I am sure there are games that are better which I haven't played or which I just didn't like as much, but Arcanum is just awesome. Story, music, steampunk tech vs. magic aesthetic, and an interesting world to explore. And again, the music is fantastic.

#7 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

It was Witcher 2 for me for the past year until I played the first Witcher last month, that game is just WOW

#8 Edited by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

Can't say. Witcher I, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape, Fallout 2, System Shock, NWN 2 they are all too good

#9 Posted by Cameron (605 posts) -

Fallout 2 is definitely the game I've put the most time into and it's my favorite, but I'm not sure if it's the best.

#10 Posted by StudsMcKewl (75 posts) -

Dark Souls?

#11 Posted by chrissedoff (2159 posts) -

My favorite is the original Baldur's Gate for many of the same reasons that most people's favorite is Baldur's Gate II. But I love how grounded the first game is in its setting. Unlike a lot of RPGs, it all takes place in a relatively small region, but that region is rendered in a great deal of detail. It makes exploring feel like you're taking everything in, even the wilderness between towns and other locations important to the plot, rather than getting the "greatest hits" vibe as you zip from one event location to another. I also enjoy the fact that there's very little geographical diversity in the game. The developers didn't give in to the temptation to make the areas artificially diverse by having the snowy area, the jungle area, the desert, and so on. The areas feel different enough, but in a way that seems natural. The character progression is the same way. Most RPGs would have started your character off fighting kobolds and ended with having you fighting beholders and mindflayers. In Baldur's Gate you start off fighting against weak monsters and, by the end, you're fighting some mid-range difficulty monsters like slimes and doppelgangers. Basically, you go from being an inexperienced rookie adventurer to a competent hero, rather than taking you all the way to being the demigod that you are by the end of most RPGs. That left a lot of room for you to continue to become much stronger in the sequel, which was really smart. I loved that Baldur's Gate didn't do very much to guide its players in the direction that advances the story, but even by simply exploring, you'd always discover something intriguing and unexpected.

#12 Edited by Jams (2965 posts) -

I'm not sure that I have one. Maybe SWG? Does Star Wars Galaxies count as an RPG?

#13 Edited by Humanity (9870 posts) -

@cameron said:

Fallout 2 is definitely the game I've put the most time into and it's my favorite, but I'm not sure if it's the best.

No you're right. Fallout 2 is pretty much the best PC RPG of all time. I only wish Fallout 4 begins to fill those very large shoes left behind by those two original games which Fallout 3 simply failed to fill.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12005 posts) -

Whenever I'm asked this question, I reflexively think Baldur's Gate II, despite the fact that I've never actually finished that game and haven't touched it seriously since 2007ish, making it the only Infinity Engine RPG I haven't beaten in the last 3 years. I just remember it being the gold standard of CRPGs in terms of balancing story and combat while Planescape and Icewind Dale were better at either extreme. I'd probably also accept the original Fallout for an answer (not Fallout 2), though if we were talking about "Favorite" rather than "best", I'd probably start going off about Temple of Elemental Evil, Wizardry 8, and Might and Magic VII in addition to the Baldur's Gates of the world.

#15 Posted by Tarsier (1076 posts) -

Neverwinter Nights I suppose. Baldurs Gate 2 had a better single player imo, but I sunk so much time playing neverwinter nights' multiplayer.

+1 for neverwinter nights. NWN2 has a new life with the baldurs gate server. meaning to get back into that .

#16 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

the world of warCraft

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

Diablo II

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (12302 posts) -

Binding of Isaac.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

This is mostly out of ignorance due to only being into PC gaming just recently but I would have to say Witcher 2.

#20 Posted by ichthy (576 posts) -

I would probably also instinctively say BG2,even though I think that game is impossible to play these days.

#21 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

Diablo 2!

#22 Posted by mosdl (3243 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins but that is probably because its the last great one I played

#23 Posted by Wallzii (178 posts) -

Baldur's Gate II, end of story.

#24 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -
#25 Posted by Karkarov (3230 posts) -
#26 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

Witcher 2 probably

(or call of pripyat)

#27 Edited by Stonyman65 (2823 posts) -

Fallout 2.

STALKER was pretty cool, if not a bit janky.

#28 Posted by Stonyman65 (2823 posts) -

@humanity said:

@cameron said:

No you're right. Fallout 2 is pretty much the best PC RPG of all time. I only wish Fallout 4 begins to fill those very large shoes left behind by those two original games which Fallout 3 simply failed to fill.

Fuckin' WORD.

#29 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2078 posts) -

Witcher 2 for me, it had a perfect balance of grittiness, humour, intelligent story, deep setting and fun (but sometimes frustrating) gameplay. I like RPG's for the story and The Witcher 2 has the best one I've seen.

#30 Edited by Swoxx (3006 posts) -
#31 Edited by Operon (4 posts) -

Gothic 1 an 2 are some of the best PC RPGs I've encountered. They're similar to Dark Souls in learning curve and rewarding gameplay but with a stronger focus on story and immersion. Other games like Dragon Age: Origins and Dark Souls rank higher on my list but I think the Gothic series (I and II) require an honorable mention.

#32 Posted by madpierrot (72 posts) -

The original Fallout. The single best game I've ever played, not just PC. I absolutely love pretty much everything about Fallout. I'm a little surprised to see so many people listed Fallout 2 over the original Fallout.

#33 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

If World of Warcraft counts... no contest really. Every dedicated MMO player was at times more his character than himself. Hell - MMO players usually go by their character's name when socializing over VoIP, unless they're playing with IRL friends. Which PC RPG is the best just depends on what MMO holds the dearest place in your heart and memory really.

Otherwise - Mass Effect 2. The Suicide Mission still stands as the best ever singleplayer experience in gaming to date - at least in my book. Those *commander moments*, when I as Shepard command my crew, knowing their strengths and weaknesses, assigning the right job to the right guy, seeing it all come together - the elation of successful command has not been captured better yet, at least not in such a personal and emotional manner. Bioware's greatest moment.

*Commander Moments* is what Mass Effect 3 didn't have, and that's why it fell well short short of expectations. And I'm sure they've known, and that they've failed to realize those same commander moments in the context of a 'Galaxy at War', as they've so obviously intended. Bioware bit off too much to chew, at least with the economic constraints they've been working with. A crying shame. EA's brass should allow for a *Prestige Project* every now and then, and give such things more time and money than their shareholder's short term interests allow for.

#34 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i dont compare games between different generations. its stupid. only stupid people do that.

best modern RPG? eh, i think i'd give that to dragonage : origins. that game is pretty amazing. a good, yet simple and straight-forward story. amazing characters. fun party-based combat that was challenging and rewarding. being able to set your party AI was great, stuff like "if your mana is under 10% drink a mana potion that i crafted a shitload of". the dialogue was really well-written. plus its like something around 60-80 hours depending on how side-quest happy you get.

and im a big RPG guy.

#35 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
#36 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I'd have to say Dragon Age: Origins, especially with all of the DLC. It's my favorite game period so, yeah.

#37 Edited by project343 (2837 posts) -

Best or favourite?

Best - Fallout 2. Never played it at the time, and it's plenty dated by today's standards.
Favourite - KOTOR. Among my favourite games, ever.

#38 Edited by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

World of Warcraft

#39 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

You are asking an incredibly difficult question. Do I go with Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Ultima 2, Divine Divinity, Gothic 2, Neverwinter Nights...

So many to choose from!

I'm picking Icewind Dale, solely because it's the one I spent the most time with.

#40 Edited by Soviet666 (293 posts) -

Baldur's Gate II for the sheer amount of amazing content, great story and writing.

#41 Edited by MonetaryDread (2135 posts) -

Fallout 3 - I think the oppressive tone of the world makes this game better then any other game in the series.

Gothic 3 - The game is a little buggy, but imagine a cross between Morrowind and Dark Souls.

#42 Edited by Zlimness (567 posts) -

It's hard to pick one, but I have to say Fallout 2 probably. It's still completely bananas and it captures the major points of roleplaying like few other games have.