#1 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -


#2 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

Just wondering while reading a mention of Giant bomb over on Comic vine what is the actual crossover of the communities and how many people here also use CV or the old whiskey sites like screened or Tested.

Personally I used to use just GB, Screened and occasionally Tested but after Alex and Rorie went it got pretty bad. Nowadays I only use CV and GB and both are pretty great.

What about everyone else ?

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3512 posts) -
#4 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

Back when they were all together, I dabbled a bit on Screened and Tested every now and then. Would hardly consider myself 'invested' in either community though.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

I used to go to Comic Vine, but the community is terrible. 95% of the discussion in those forums is "X vs Y" and why WWH Hulk at full power would curbstomp Galactus and Superman at the same time. The other 5% is either Sara Lima worshipping or complaining about every single minor change DC or Marvel make to their series. Think the whole DmC or ME3 stuff, but ten times as bad. Every day.

Tested is good, though. Very good since they were purchased. They got a lot more to work with and Adam Savage is a great guy. He has honest, sincere chemistry with Will and Norm, and that shows in the content they make.

#6 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

RIP Screened

#7 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

GB and Tested for me. Why did you make a "GB and Comic Vine" option, but bundle "Screened/Tested" into a singular non-specific option??

#8 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

RIP Screened
#9 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

GB and Tested.

#10 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

Oh shit. I just assumed Anime Vice had closed up shop for some reason. Sorry.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11680 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

I used to go to Comic Vine, but the community is terrible. 95% of the discussion in those forums is "X vs Y" and why WWH Hulk at full power would curbstomp Galactus and Superman at the same time. The other 5% is either Sara Lima worshipping or complaining about every single minor change DC or Marvel make to their series. Think the whole DmC or ME3 stuff, but ten times as bad. Every day.

Tested is good, though. Very good since they were purchased. They got a lot more to work with and Adam Savage is a great guy. He has honest, sincere chemistry with Will and Norm, and that shows in the content they make.

Our reprehensible users seem to stick mostly to the comments sections on videos and articles. Which I'm not entirely a stranger to, but they exist and they post.

Luckily, they seem to stay away from here.

Oh... me? I have visited Anime Vice and I've looked into Tested And Comic Vine occasionally, but I never have spent much time there. I don't have much interest in comics, so it was more of a "let's check this out for two minutes" visit.

#12 Posted by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

I'm not sure if your poll is for before the whiskey split or after so I picked C.

These days I only use GB. I was never a part of the other communities or anything, but I did use to read Screened reviews. Rorie and Alex were this weird exception I had in my hatred of the typical movie critic. I'm still bummed that Rorie never came to giant bomb. I miss the guy. Glad he's working, though.

#13 Posted by TheHT (10929 posts) -

GB and Tested with the occasional Comic Vine if something catches my interest on the GB footer.

#14 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

GB and every now and then I look at Tested a bit. If I want to know something about a comic character, I will go to the Comic Vine wiki. Edit: Before the split, I visited Screened daily.

#15 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

None of the options really fit me. In order of frequency, I go to GB, Tested, and CV.

When Rorie was off of Screened, so was I.

#16 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Not invested in any. I tried Comic Vine but it's the usual Superhero crap books. Tested was too engineering heavy for me, aka not just PCs and such. And Screened was fine, but I don't really read TV recaps and If I do I use TV without Pity.

#17 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

@Kidavenger: I like to believe he left Anime Vice out because there's no question that we all visit the site everyday.

#18 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I was never really interested in the other sites. I'm not interested in Comic Vine or Tested because of their subjects, Anime Vice had no real staff for a long time, and I simply didn't like Screened that much (I like Rorie a lot, though).

#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

I tried to get into ComicVine but it never stuck, still willing to try though. When Whiskey was still a thing I read everything on Giant Bomb, Tested and Screened as well as watched and listened to all the content. Haven't been on Screened or Tested since the break up.

#20 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Our reprehensible users seem to stick mostly to the comments sections on videos and articles. Which I'm not entirely a stranger to, but they exist and they post.

Luckily, they seem to stay away from here.

I thanks the Heavens or whoever be responsible for that, because it's a blessing that very few people get to appreciate. These forums and this community are, most of the time, top notch. At least compared to other, darker corners of the Internet...

I do go from time to time to Comic Vine to read Tony Guerrero's posts, though. Tony is a cool guy, I respect him. But every interaction with the community I've had or seen has been catastrophic. And, hey, this comes from a guy doing his PhD about comic books... I should be used to that kind of "discussion"? by now.

#21 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (203 posts) -

I visit Giant Bomb and Comic Vine regularly and listen all the podcasts. I only occasionally visit Tested to see if they got any good videos but I still listen to This is Only a Test and Still Untitled weekly. I used to got to Anime Vice when Tom Pinchuck started doing his anime reviews from the eyes of an American comic creator but he eventually ran out of anime that I cared about. I also quickly jumped the Screened ship along with Rorie.

#22 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I just go through the forums on here and visit the site pretty much daily. I can not say the last time I visited the other sites because I do not really care about comics, or movies really.

#23 Posted by Athadam (673 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

I used to go to Comic Vine, but the community is terrible. 95% of the discussion in those forums is "X vs Y" and why WWH Hulk at full power would curbstomp Galactus and Superman at the same time. The other 5% is either Sara Lima worshipping or complaining about every single minor change DC or Marvel make to their series. Think the whole DmC or ME3 stuff, but ten times as bad. Every day.

Tested is good, though. Very good since they were purchased. They got a lot more to work with and Adam Savage is a great guy. He has honest, sincere chemistry with Will and Norm, and that shows in the content they make.

Their content has been better than ever.

#24 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Giant Bomb, Comic Vine, AND Anime Vice.

I have no life.

#25 Posted by Chaser324 (6342 posts) -

Well, GB is the only one that I actively participate with, but I do read some of the stuff on Comic Vine and Tested from time to time. Not really sure if that corresponds with a poll choice though...

Moderator
#26 Edited by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

I rarely ever posted on Screened's forums, but I loved both their written and video content. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Screened was a better movie/tv editorial site than GB is as a video games site. Screened just had so much more variety for their features.

As for GB, I like to give it a look see every now and then...

Online
#27 Posted by Levius (1084 posts) -

Only GB. Nothing against the sites but I'm not invested enough in any other their subject matter to stay there. I thought about checking out Tested after the buyout, but the website was jacked and I never went back. I suppose I could have used Screened when it was Alex and Rorie but I usually stick to UK sources for films as I get bummed out when I have to wait weeks for a well reviewed film to come out.

#28 Posted by forkboy (1118 posts) -

I enjoyed Screened when Rorie & Alex wrote for it & would post there semi-regularly. I've really lost track of new releases since Behind The Screened Door ended. Would kind of love Alex & Rorie to start a new film podcast but that'll not happen! I still look at Tested occasionally but really just listen to their podcasts to be honest.

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

Just Giant Bomb now, though I used to use Screened before it went to shit.

Online
#30 Posted by BisonHero (6235 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

Tested is good, though. Very good since they were purchased. They got a lot more to work with and Adam Savage is a great guy. He has honest, sincere chemistry with Will and Norm, and that shows in the content they make.

Anybody get the sense that Jamie is kind of just a dick, but that he reels it in during Mythbusters/they edit it well enough that he seems alright? Savage always seems like the guy who is easy going and fun to interview and is willing to interact with all types.

#31 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I fucking miss Screened. I know it still exists, but I couldn't stay there without Rorie. It was really sad to see what happened to Rorie after the merging with CBS. Glad to see he has a job again now.

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5551 posts) -

I just use Giantbomb and Comicvine. Also on CV I don't really interact with the forums at all. As a new reader, so far I've found that I don't really relate to anybody in the comic community, also I think battle threads are pretty lame. I used to use Screened as well, but stopped once the split happened.

#33 Edited by GunstarRed (5044 posts) -

I visit Comic Vine for the occasional article/video/review. I take one glance at the forums on the front page and am immediately put off. I adore comics, my love for them has grown a lot in the last couple of years, but I have zero interest in discussing the stories or who is more powerful than who. If thise site had Solid Snake VS Raiden posts i'd probably cry.

Listen to the CV podcasts also. Tony and Sara are great, and I always love listening to James Robinson.

Screened. I tried and I tried to be active in the community, but it was the worst. I kept telling myself it would get better and stuck around on the site for longer than I should because I like Rorie. The forums to begin with were just a bunch of "The Dark Knight is the bestest movie ever" talk. I tried to have conversations with people and I loved having a place to list films, but it really wasn't for me, which is a real shame as I'm far more knowledgeable about films than I am games.

Giant Bomb sucks.

#34 Posted by johncallahan (545 posts) -

Man of all the old Whiskey Sites, Screened is the most tragic. I feel that Giant Bomb, Tested, and Comic Vine have all gotten better over the last year (aside from the less frequent guest appearances), but Screened. Man. That was probably the site I found most useful, now with that and The Totally Rad Show gone, I have no idea where to go for my movie fix any more.

#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10550 posts) -

I still go to Jamie and Adam's Tested every once in a while. They do some interesting things over there.

#36 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I used to be somewhat active on Screened when Rorie and Alex were there, but right after they split most of the community bailed. That site is fucking dead. Seeing as how nothing has been done with it for all of this time, I doubt it'll ever resurface.

#37 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

I am exclusively GB. I liked going to Screened before the split, but that is not the case anymore.

#38 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

RIP Screened

@iAmJohn said:

@FunkasaurasRex said:

RIP Screened
#39 Edited by Draxyle (1797 posts) -

I still visit Tested now and then, but that was the only other WM site I ever really visited. Only touched Anime Vice on rare occasions.

#40 Posted by Zacagawea (1585 posts) -

Screened was cool. I have no use for current day Tested. Comic Vine, lolno.