What is the GB staff doing with their time?

ashleychittock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By ashleychittock

With the amount of stuff they put out at the moment I feel for the amount of work Vinny, Drew and any other video duders must have to put in.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#202  Edited By forkboy

@ManMadeGod said:

@Impossibilium said:

@Marokai said:

@Brodehouse:
Giant Bomb's success is all about the people within it. Nothing more, nothing less. Few other people and few other combinations of people could've made this site work the way that it did. They've either gotten older and gone soft or are simply prioritizing expansion of the site and the revenue rather than focusing on the sort of thing that made them popular in the first place, and I'd hate to think that either is true. Trying to make this a "serious" or "normal" video game coverage site is officially Missing The Point.

Exactly. This whole site was borne on the idea of a few people doing fun stuff with video games. Now most of that personalized anarchy is locked behind a pay wall and the result is just another video game site without that. A stream of news and PR videos found elsewhere.

I rarely visit the site now because I know the content outside of the pay wall is just generic news. When the site was pumping out weird rap videos and TANG and Jeff and Ryan were updating with crazy posts and blog entries I was visiting multiple times a day.

I'm not going to subscribe for the very essence that made this site what it was, and had people like me spreading the word about just how much fun those things were when it was forming. Especially now they are part of CBS. They have more finanacial security, yet every week more content is being locked away.

Even fucking Points-style banter. Which Jeff used to do for fun on his blog and on his Gamespot profile page.

I agree. The subscription has created this entire class of entitled users who bitch non-stop about how they want content. Users use to make topics all the time about how they wanted to donate and "support" GB, so the staff made the subscription in response to that (from what I gather). The idea was to give something back and not just take money from fans. So people who signed up got HD videos and a mobile site. But they want more and more and more. Now Jeff's points reports....errrr... Jar videos are premium. Dumb.

It hurts the site from growing and attracting new users who are only going to see quick looks. You know who else does quick looks? About 1,000 people on youtube. And they get a ton of views. In some odd way I feel like the fans are really hurting this site by pushing for unique content to become premium. Behind the scenes stuff is one thing, flight crew and archived TNT is another.

I can agree with this. I signed up to subscribe in January or February, either just before or just after the CBS deal went down, truth be told I don't remember. I decided to through some money Giantbomb's way solely because I wanted to say thanks for the time I've had reading this website. I'll admit, the ability to view the archive of subscriber content was also something I was keen on, but not once have I begged for more subscriber-exclusive content. I always looked at it as though I was donating to support a website I enjoyed. Nothing more or less. Yeah, I'd like more subscriber content, but only in the same way that I'd like more content full stop. Honestly, to me the more people can see it the better, though I understand not everyone shares my outlook.

I've said on these threads before that I think an average of 3-5 QLs a week is fine to me on top of TNT, the office ILM (I much prefer the quickly thrown together I Love Monday. It's a look at their office that's quick to throw together rather than a time consuming silly video. Can't get why so many folk miss that), & whatever subscriber thing goes up Fridays. But that's not to say that I wouldn't watch more content, QL Throwbacks, features like the Endurance Run but much shorter (y'know, Jeff & Vinny or whoever sitting around through an entire game of Civ 5 for example). Or whatever the fuck the guys want to throw up.

I'm also totally not getting the hate on more staff. You can't piss & moan about their not being enough content & then moan about it potentially being from new people. Yeah, the community might well piss & whine about that but it's pretty clear that doesn't bother them very much at this point. As Jeff has mentioned on his Jar Time podcasts it's the case of looking for the right person. And just like they found Patrick, who had fit in very well & added something new to the site, I have confident that their new hire will fit in.

PureBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By PureBacon

I feel like there is one of these posts every month

aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By aerious

I struggle to keep up with the content the crew put out on a weekly basis. On my laptop there are a bunch of quicklooks I need to catch up on, even more TNTs, a few podcasts and probably some other random things. I just don't have the right kind of free time to watch it all any more and I love it. I love having something there in reserve to watch. So relax, take a break for a week or two, build up a backlog and then savour it all. I've followed them from the beginning and I'll follow and subscribe until the end, they're the best company I could ask for during a quiet night at home.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Jumanji
@Brodehouse said:
Unless the energy level of the staff suddenly increases (a lot to expect from dudes past 30), this is how much content will be made from here on. I'm rambling. I'm sure they're disappointed with the production lately, and I'll admit I am too.

I agree with your whole post, but if Vinny and Brad lost 30 pounds and Jeff and Ryan lost 100 pounds you'd sure see some performance enhancement.
prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By prestonhedges

@NekuCTR said:

There are no games coming out to Quicklook, very little news is going on, and half the subscriber videos include Dave who is currently rebuilding the website from the ground up. Expect a return to normalcy sometime next year.

Meanwhile guys on YouTube are uploading forty videos a day.

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By BODDAH

Yeah, remember when Brad wasn't fat? I guess you can't hang out with Jeff and Ryan without putting on some pounds.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#208  Edited By Ace829

I haven't read all 11 pages here, but if someone hasn't mentioned this I will. That is to say, they could be making something huge in preparation for the site re-design that was announced after the move to CBS. Given how the site went into a similar content drought during the lead up to the CBS move, I'm guessing they have something just as big that they're working on, but want to keep it secret, hence the drought. That's my two cents at least.