What is the greatest Final Fantasy?

BatmanLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By BatmanLives

With  Final Fantasy XIII on the verge of being released (In almost a year) it is the time to be nostalgic and discuss what is the favourite Final Fantasy games of all the users.  From characters to storyline to even Summons/Eidolons etc. What are your opinions?

BatmanLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BatmanLives

With  Final Fantasy XIII on the verge of being released (In almost a year) it is the time to be nostalgic and discuss what is the favourite Final Fantasy games of all the users.  From characters to storyline to even Summons/Eidolons etc. What are your opinions?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Every opinion that follows from here on is invalid.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

I've personally considered Final Fantasy IX to be among the best in the series.  The return to the more fantastical settings of previous titles was greatly welcomed after the futuristic framework of Final Fantasy VII and VIII.  The significantly more whimsical nature of the characters and storytelling were also a welcome diversion given the emotional, brooding nature of the two aforementioned titles.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

As much as I have enjoyed later entries into the series, I have to say that that Final Fantasy 6 will most likely always stand as the best for me. It was a marvel at the time and has stood up very well over the years. It is astonishing to me that all the CGI and voice acting in the world has yet to create a set of FF characters I've felt a stronger pull and emotion for than that simple SNES game. Just really remarkable.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

Any other answer than 7 is heretical and is grounds for dismissal from GB forums.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus
ninjakiller said:
"Any other answer than 7 is heretical and is grounds for dismissal from GB forums."
Nope, FFIV was the best.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

IX is my personal favourite.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Goly

well considering I only beat VII. but that game had some serious plot holes from what i remember. or maybe i simply didn't understand it.

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Rheinmetall

I'm going to be heretic. I think Final Fantasy 2 was the best!
Ok, ok! I'm joking. FF7 of course. Not only is the best title in the series, but together with Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid, took video-games a step forward. In fact it were exactly those that changed video-games from being the solitary hobby of some nerdy kids, to a main-stream form of entertainment, and one of the most active industries in the global market.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cc23574

I think FFX, it was the first FF game with voice overs and I thought that everything was excellent about that game, the complex story, combat was the best in the FF series imo, graphics were for the time amazing. But I do have to say that FF7 has the best music and FFVI the best characters.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho
cc23574 said:
"I think FFX, it was the first FF game with voice overs and I thought that everything was excellent about that game, the complex story, combat was the best in the FF series imo, graphics were for the time amazing. But I do have to say that FF7 has the best music and FFVI the best characters."
FFX definitely runs a close second as far as I'm concerned.  Tidus was incredibly annoying in the initial hours of the game, but his character development and eventual plight grew on me as the game progressed.  Yuna's probably one of the better serious female protagonist that the series has seen, at least prior to FFX-2.  Auron was also a total bad ass.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BoG
cc23574 said:
"I think FFX, it was the first FF game with voice overs and I thought that everything was excellent about that game, the complex story, combat was the best in the FF series imo, graphics were for the time amazing. But I do have to say that FF7 has the best music and FFVI the best characters."
I was going to refute everything you said about the worst Final Fantasy game, X, but then you said VII has the best music. What? wow. You're one of a kind. VIII, VI, IV, X, I, V, and IX all have better tunes. I never thought I'd see the day someone praised VII for its music.
Anyways, VI and IX are the best in the series, with V coming in third, and IV in IVth. In fifth place is disc one of VIII, the rest of the game landing in 10th place.
MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MacGyver

FF7 is the greatest Final Fantasy ever made, but my personal favorite is FFVI.
 I also enjoyed playing the Crystal Chronicle games on the GC and my DS more than most people but I wouldn't consider that core Final Fantasy.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By vidiot

After playing, and beating every entry in the core series, I have come to the conclusion that there is no one single "best" Final Fantasy.

I know... Insane...

It's very difficult to stick any one game against the other, as each one almost works entirely independently from one another. There's also the factor that your comparing games against other games in a two decade span, so graphics and evolutions in general presentation are out of the equation. You could get in more detail over which cast of characters and story you prefer more, but it's all very subjective and being polarized against one entry of the series that was clearly trying to do something else is pretty stupid. Also which version of said entry of the series are we comparing? Should we compare the script of the original SNES Final Fantasy IV to that of the most recent XII? I think not.

At the end of the day, the real brilliance of the series is how the fundamental gameplay mechanics of each entry still hold up. (Except the original Final Fantasy II, goddamnit I hate you so much.)

If I were to pick one title that was a clear representation of the series as a whole: I would choose Final Fantasy IX.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok

Why is this a blog?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Final Fantasy VI for me.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thedj93
Meowayne said:
"Every opinion that follows from here on is invalid."
hahaha, you got me!

I liked Crystal Chronicles, actually! The art style was pretty captivating.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cc23574
BoG said:
"cc23574 said:
I was going to refute everything you said about the worst Final Fantasy game, X, but then you said VII has the best music. What? wow. You're one of a kind. VIII, VI, IV, X, I, V, and IX all have better tunes. I never thought I'd see the day someone praised VII for its music.
Anyways, VI and IX are the best in the series, with V coming in third, and IV in IVth. In fifth place is disc one of VIII, the rest of the game landing in 10th place.
"

I loved the music in FF7, the other FF's also have great music but I thought that FF7 was better, specially the battle theme song.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By Icemael

For me, it's Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. Not because it's a great game, but because it's the only one I could bring myself to play through... I don't particularly enjoy turn-based battles(or ATB, for that matter).

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By suneku
vidiot said:
"If I were to pick one title that was a clear representation of the series as a whole: I would choose Final Fantasy IX."
I agree with this 100%
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
JJOR64 said:
"Final Fantasy VI for me."

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorites are I & ll(Snes), both are great and should check them out.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Disgaeamad
BoG said:
"Anyways, VI and IX are the best in the series, with V coming in third, and IV in IVth."
Close to how I feel, except that IX is first, Tactics is second and VI is third.

vidiot said:
"If I were to pick one title that was a clear representation of the series as a whole: I would choose Final Fantasy IX."
This. Sakaguchi himself stated that IX represents what Final Fantasy should be.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By subject2change

IX for me, was the first one I owned and beat (borrowed 7 from a friend and never beat it and then borrowed it again and finally did; now I own it :p yay for having some disposable income!). Need to continue my quest to play through the core games but after 1 was a little let down on the earlier titles. Popped in 2 on my PSP but never started it.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laticsfan

VII with X a close second for me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
TooWalrus said:
"ninjakiller said:
"Any other answer than 7 is heretical and is grounds for dismissal from GB forums."
Nope, FFIV was the best."
No, it's VI. IV hasn't aged well (it's still good, don't misunderstand me), while VI has aged beautifully. The only flaw is that the 3D remake for the DS HAS YET TO COME!!!
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vidiot
cc23574 said:
"BoG said:
"cc23574 said:
"
I loved the music in FF7, the other FF's also have great music but I thought that FF7 was better, specially the battle theme song."
BoG: No disrespect, BUT: I am slowly finding your dissent against Final Fantasy VII equally mind numbing to the single minded zealots who praise it as though it is second coming of Christ.
No, he's not "one of a kind". Final Fantasy VII has absolutely fine music. The game has a litany of tracks Bombing Mission and One Winged Angel in particular, both have to be the most iconic pieces of music in the franchise, some would argue in gaming in general. It's a perfectly acceptable opinionated answer.

Personally, I find Final Fantasy IX's soundtrack to be "the best" in the series, as well as the best work of Uematsu. III has a soundtrack that I personally feel is looked over quite a bit, and I like VIII's soundtrack quite a bit as well.
Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Liber

VIII

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cc23574
vidiot said:
"cc23574 said:
"BoG said:
"cc23574 said:
"
I loved the music in FF7, the other FF's also have great music but I thought that FF7 was better, specially the battle theme song."
BoG: I slowly finding your dissent against Final Fantasy VII equally mind numbing to the single minded zealots who praise it as though it is second coming of Christ.
No, he's not "one of a kind". Final Fantasy VII has absolutely fine music. The game has a litany of tracks Bombing Mission and One Winged Angel in paticular, both have to be the most iconic pieces of music in the franchise, some would argue in gaming in general. It's a perfectly acceptable opinionated answer.

Personally, I find Final Fantasy IX's soundtrack to be "the best" in the series, as well as the best work of Uematsu. III has a soundtrack that I personally feel is looked over quite a bit, and I like VIII's soundtrack quite a bit as well."
Yes FFIX also had great music, I specially liked Beatrix's theme
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By StarFoxA

Final Fantasy VI because of Kefka.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Luke

Final Fantasy 1 for keeping Square from becoming bankrupt.
Final Fantasy 2 for telling me where Kain came from.
Final Fantasy 3 for actually figuring-out how to auto-target another foe, off from an already dead enemy.
Final Fantasy 4 for the story.
Final Fantasy 5 for perfecting the Job System.
Final Fantasy 6 for the cast of characters and introducing the very first Active Time Battle System.
Final Fantasy 7 for changing the playing field.
Final Fantasy 8 for pissing so many people off.
Final Fantasy 9 for going old skool.
Final Fantasy 10 for Blitz Ball (I'm fucking joking.  Ha! :p )
Final Fantasy 10-2 for the fan service.
Final Fantasy 11 for introducing me to some of the online friends I still play with in other games today.
Final Fantasy 12 for changing the playing field.
Final Fantasy 13 for being all of the above :p

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By RHCPfan24

Why XII of course!!!!!!!

Seriously though (even if that game was pretty good), I would say FFIV. I have played it since on the DS and it is even better. I have never played VI so I am lacking a key title.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Cerza

In terms of overall presentation, representation of the series, and feel, I would have to say FFX & X-2 together with X-2's perfect ending would be IT as far as Final Fantasy goes. However that isn't one game. So, as far as any one game goes, I still think FFVI is the best.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Disgaeamad
Luke said:
"Final Fantasy 6 for the cast of characters and introducing the very first Active Time Battle System."
You lost me.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35  Edited By StarFoxA
Disgaeamad said:
"Luke said:
"Final Fantasy 6 for the cast of characters and introducing the very first Active Time Battle System."
You lost me. "
What's so wrong with ATB?
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKidNixon

Wait wait, are we including Tactics in the running? Because if so, that's easily my chose. I've sunk lifetimes into that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally enjoy 6 the most.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Disgaeamad
StarFoxA said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"Luke said:
You lost me. "
What's so wrong with ATB?"
Nothing. It's the fact that the ATB was introduced in Final Fantasy IV, not VI.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Final Fantasy VII and IX were my personal favorites. Gotta love Vivi. :D

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King
TheKidNixon said:
"Wait wait, are we including Tactics in the running? Because if so, that's easily my chose. I've sunk lifetimes into that game."
I'd vote against it, simply because it's a spinoff and not a game in the main series. if we include spin-offs, why not Mystic Quest, Seiken Densetsu, or SaGa?
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PowerSerj

If I have to narrow it down, it's between X and X-2. Out of those two, I spent the most time and had the most fun with X-2. The awesome replayability coupled with what I thought was a very strong soundtrack shoots X-2 to the top of my FF list.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By meptron

My top three are VI, VII, and XII

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By lordofultima

VIII. The end.

Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ham08

MY FAVORITES:

Tied for first place:  FF4(NDS), FF7, FF10

Tied for second place: FF3(NDS), FF8, FF9, FF10-2

Third Place: FF12

FF11 is an mmo and I hate mmos, so I cannot rate this game.

I havn't played FF1, FF2, FF5, FF6 (just a little bit on the GBA), or FF11.  I will never play FF11, but I will get around to FF1 and FF2 remakes, FF5, and FF6 soon.  I expect FF6 to be included in my tie for first place, because I have heard such great things about that game.  I can't wait.  Also, FF13 and Versus, will be added to my collection when they are released.  Hopefully, one or more of these two will be another masterpiece.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By toowalrus
Video_Game_King said:
"TooWalrus said:
"ninjakiller said:
Nope, FFIV was the best."
No, it's VI. IV hasn't aged well (it's still good, don't misunderstand me), while VI has aged beautifully. The only flaw is that the 3D remake for the DS HAS YET TO COME!!!"
Nah, I played IV just last year (the GBA a version, that was just a SNES port). It had aged just fine... Maybe I just like it because you fought the Red Wings...
Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Luke
Disgaeamad said:
Nothing. It's the fact that the ATB was introduced in Final Fantasy IV, not VI."
Not the original on the Super Famicom.  FF6 was the first ever Square game to have this.  The remakes/ports/etc. had this feature back-ported.

EDIT:  Never mind... I am so wrong.  It's just that 4 didn't have meters depicting ATB on screen, but it was still working in the background.  Shit, this was so long ago I forgot exactly.
walls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By walls

Final Fantasy VII is the only one I've ever enjoyed. But it is in my top 5 favorite games. Although the combat is adequate it's the world that grabbed me because the universe is completely unique compared to the others