What is the hardest game that you ever played?

• 76 results
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@sammo21 said:

Probably the original Ninja Turtles game on NES.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Some old Lion King game I had on my parents computer

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Trying to complete challenge levels is usually the most difficult thing for me, so games like Arkham Asylum, Project Gotham, and Mortal Kombat 9 come to mind. Other than that, Diablo 3 Inferno difficulty was pretty frustrating in the first few weeks after release.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ninja Gaiden II was really hard, and I was playing on Easy! I'm no slash'em'up expert, but the Ninja Gaiden games are the only ones where I wasn't able to beat them on Normal.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Halo 3 online.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By crusader8463

Life. Doing pretty bad at it so far. I wish it had a quick save/load feature. Major oversight on the devs part. I won't be buying their follow up thats for sure.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By HerbieBug

Ikaruga. Shmups in general give me problems. I get sensory overload very quickly and my brain grinds to a standstill.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By bluefish

Vanquish on 'God Hard'

unbelievable.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I wanna be the guy, for sure.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Demon Souls

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Star Trek TNG: Echoes From The Past was the hardest game from my childhood, for sure. I never got past the third mission, where you have to rescue miners in a seemingly endless mine on some moon. It was not for lack of trying.

Of recent years, I would say Super Meat Boy.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's beaten dark souls a few times....

I gotta say the most frustrated i've been with any game in the past generation was with Prototype. There was a boss fight in times square that took like half a god damn hour to beat and it was SUPER annoying. FUCK. Game started off so promising but it got annoying as shit later on. FUCK that game. Like the first 3/4ths of that game is easy as shit but the last quarter turns into such annoying bullshit, i wouldnt even say its super hard, its just super annoying and unfun. FUCK.

I absolutely don't mind a game thats fair when its hard, I LOVE when games are actually challenging. I play most games on hard mode these days cus most are too easy. But Prototype just got UNFUN kind of hard at the end. it was tedious annoying and ruined the charm of the game.

Like Dark Souls gets a huge reputation for being super hard when its really not, and its very rarely unfair. They'll put a hard boss or new enemy in front of you, but when you learn how to beat them its usually not a problem anymore. Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen tried to copy the vibe of Dark Souls in my opinion, but failed miserably, they filled this dungeon instead of with fair but challenging enemies, they just dumped tons of enemies all at the same time and then a BS ganker boss who'd show up at random times to one shot your party. Thats not fun difficulty, thats tedious and annoying difficulty.

If i'm constantly dying but i'm having funa nd learning something from it, then awesome it's a well designed and challenging game. If I'm constantly dying because of stupid level design or just dumping tons of enemies for no real reason (DD:DA im looking at you) Even playing stuff like gears or halo on harder difficulties is fun. But when a game isn't fun anymore because of its difficulty then its a game design issue. For me anyways. Like I recently stopped playing DD:DA, not because it was too hard, it was just so god damn tedious. I was fighting a boss for 20 minutes, it was only halfway down. I just turned off the xbox and stopped playing mid bossfight, i wasn't losing. It was just such a long fight for no god damn reason and it wasn't fun anymore. So i stopped. The whole big dungeon was that way.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm sure there are people on these forums who have beaten it on Ninja Master or whatever, but I could not for the life of me get past the 4th level of Ninja Gaiden Black, and when I tried again within the past year I couldn't get past the second level. That game is cruel and sadistic for me in a way that even the harder difficulties of Devil May Cry games aren't.

I mean, I could say the obvious answers of Super Meat Boy or Dark Souls, but you can kind of bash your head against the brick wall until you progress in Super Meat Boy and I beat Dark Souls, so I find Ninja Gaiden more applicable personally.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By Hunter5024

No game ever pissed me off quite like Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn did. I literally howled in frustration at one point, which if you knew me you'd think was extra weird.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By Caustic_Fox

The Descent series... dear lord... it is torture.

Loading Video...

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HerbieBug

@arbitrarywater said:

I'm sure there are people on these forums who have beaten it on Ninja Master or whatever, but I could not for the life of me get past the 4th level of Ninja Gaiden Black, and when I tried again within the past year I couldn't get past the second level. That game is cruel and sadistic for me in a way that even the harder difficulties of Devil May Cry games aren't.

There are two techniques that should help you with most troubles Ninja Gaiden has to offer:

1. Use your ultimate technique (UT) whenever you have a chance. Remember that when there are orbs in the air from killed enemies, you can absorb them to charge your UT instantly. Used orbs in UT charges multiply with successful kills, meaning you are not missing out on any spendable cash for item store purchases in future by doing this. Using UT always pays off. Always. The game is balanced around the UT. So, you're going to have a hard time if you don't use it at every opportunity.

2. Jump-roll. Run forward, jump, initiate a roll immediately when you land, press jump immediately after you complete the roll. And repeat. This is the fastest way to move Ryu and is very handy when you need to put some space between you and a group of enemies. Do a youtube search for NGB speedruns to see what this looks like in practice.

3. I know i said two. I remembered a third. Flying swallow attack (run-jump-forward slash attack) and also vertical air attack (straight downwards from air attack) have invincibility frames. Use these when you have been stuck with incendiary shurikens in order to avoid damage when they explode.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

FIGHTING GAMES AGAINST PEOPLE.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By posh

demon's souls I guess? I haven't played it for a couple of years but I traded it in soon after. it's gonna be free on EU PS plus soon tho so I plan to start it again. haven't found dark souls to be anywhere near as unfair. starcraft 2 is worth a mention for its barrier to entry

there's probably a bunch of older games way harder than DS, and I seem to remember not really finishing many games as a kid and being fine with it. like I would buy games and not expect to finish them

and I don't really get super meat boy being the hardest game. the dark world stuff can be a little rough but otherwise it's just a fast platformer with comparatively short levels. you have infinite lives and can unlock a bunch of characters easily. the japanese version of super mario bros 2 is harder than super meat boy

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battletoads. Everything else is easy in comparison. You cannot beat it alone and if you play co-op you just end up killing the other player.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GIyn

Sonic 3

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MegaLombax

Shinobi for the PS2. Maybe it was because i wasn't good at playing games at the time but at the time it felt daunting. I actually gave it a go and got almost halfway through the game when i decided to move on. Also tried Demons Souls for a bit and gave up.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By MeganeAgain
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@hailinel said:

Life. The time limit is an unpredictable bitch and the rules keep changing as it goes along.

What? The rules are completely consistent. Also, I've never heard anyone say that Life is hard before =/

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#74  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

Life. The time limit is an unpredictable bitch and the rules keep changing as it goes along.

What? The rules are completely consistent. Also, I've never heard anyone say that Life is hard before =/

Well, that flew right over your head. I was talking about actual life.

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Freelancer52

I remember jak 2 being extremely hard when it first came out. But that just may be because I was 12 at the time .

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Ben_H

It's Boshy time!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#77  Edited By BeachThunder

@hailinel said:

@beachthunder said:

@hailinel said:

Well, that flew right over your head. I was talking about actual life.

:o What a twist!